ADVERTISEMENT

My Wyoming trip report ! Heart six !

Showenuff

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2006
So the wife and I stayed a week in Wyoming at Heart Six Ranch. We flew in to Jackson Hole and their driver picked us up and took us into town for lunch then drove us out to Moran to the ranch. It was absolutely beautiful. There was only a little snow in Jackson but once up at the ranch it was a winter wonderland. There were 4 moose standing in the river right in front of our cabin. The folks at Heart Six were amazing, we felt super welcome, almost a family type atmosphere. They fed us every day , breakfast lunch and dinner in a beautiful dining lodge with a roaring fireplace and mounted Elk, Deer, Bear and Bighorn about the golden glowing pine interior. Our first day was a very early , zipping off to Flagg Ranch , just outside of YellowStone, there we had a fantastic breakfast then got suited up for the day. All gear included. We then hopped onto our snowmobiles and headed for the park which was closed for the winter, accessible only by snowmobile tour. Our guide , Josh, took us through 105 miles of incredible beauty throughout the park. Gorges, snow covered peaks and rivers, Yellowstone lake frozen over and truly amazing, mud pots , geysers, buffalo, coyotes, just incredible. We arrived at Old Faithful, watched her wintery blast then had a great lunch in a yurt nearby. Up to this point, nit had been a beautiful clear, sunny day, glistening on the snow like diamonds and clear blue sky. We went into the yurt ate for an hour, warmed up and as we opened the door to come out, Snow. HARD snow. Hey, I'm from the beach, you don't get to see this kind of snow. I'm talking every 4 minute stop to see a sight on the way back and your lap was covered in snow, kind of snow. Absolutely beautiful. After our return back to Heart6 , we enjoyed a hike around the ranch then had a big steak dinner, awesome. The next morning their drive took us into Jackson, we had a beer at the Cowboy Bar, did some shopping, the wife HAD to go tubing at King Tubes. Then we took the sleigh ride out into the Elk Reserve. 8,000 Elk, we went right through the middle of them, beautiful trip. Back to Heart 6 that afternoon, hot coffee and a fire watching a fox hunt the deep snow out front, soon to be disturbed by a coyote. The next day was epic. Our guide was Dan, and he told me the snowmobiles at Yellowstone were a joke compared to what we were riding today. He didn't lie. 2 stroke Artic Cat 800's . They were badass! We went the other direction up into the Tetons and Towgotee. 10200' and some of the deepest powder I have ever experienced. The trips up there were sensory overload for me. Giant powder bowls , ripping along sometimes 75 and 80 MPH ! The views, epic. We had lunch at 10,000' at Brooks Lake Lodge. Truly beautiful place. Crusted Walleye and beer cheese soup , incredible. There was so much powder at one part of the ride I lost all sense of depth perception, it was all white, you didn't know if you'd be going up or down , LOL ! Now, here's the part I tie this into basketball. you old timers will love it. We asked the ranch owners how they came up with the name Heart Six. Apparently he said, this ranch was originally owned by a guy who invented the jumpshot in basketball. Fella by the name of Kenny Sailors. He named the ranch after the 6 women who owned his heart. His wife, his mother and his 4 daughters. thus Heart Six. I thought that was very cool. Seriously, if you decide you want a great vacation, snowmobiling up in these parts is amazing. We found that Towgotee is the most sought out snowmobile destination in America. There were people there riding from Colorado, Minnesota, the Dakotas, Michigan, pretty much everywhere if you ride snowmobiles. It was awesome to watch some of the riders out there in deep country turning it loose. Good times !

Holy Crap, that sounds awesome! Wow, just wow. If you don't mind me asking, how much did that set you back? I love the Carribean and scuba diving, but your trip is a dream trip for me as well.

Airfare , Trip, lodging food , snowmobliles, whole 9 yards 6,000.00.

You can do the Heart6 package 2 days of snowmobiling, one day into town for Elk reserve and airfare all inl for 5K, they set everything up for you, you don't even need cold weather gear, they have it all.

Most of my business partners frequent all the spots you speak of. Especially Cowboys, is that where the full Buffalo mount is? I'm guessing them being Northern Wi folk they take a lot of it for granted. Glad you had a great trip Show

Left the kids at home huh? Sounds awesome! I'm from NC BUT just moved to Michigan, and I've learned what real snow is like!
Thx for sharing!!

It was an amazing vacation. Cruises and beach vacations are great but this is one everybody should experience. I forgot to add, we had no phone or tv all week, we were SO relaxed.

Reactions: dbav
I thought Wyoming is a country. Attica ! Attica ! Attica !. OFC

Sounds like a great trip and my kind of vacation. Hope to do something like that in a few years.

The father of a buddy of mine lives in Jackson. My friend goes out there several times a year. Snowboarding in the Winter, camping and rivers in the Summer. I've heard great things about it.

Reactions: Showenuff
Could've gotten 2 great tickets to Duke UNC next season in Cameron... I think your trip will be more memorable.

Montana-Heel, we want to do the road to the sun. Are you familiar?

This was only our second snowmobile vacation. I never knew snowmobiles were so damn fun. Wish I had found them when I was a young buck , I coulda raised a lot of hell, LOL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT