ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts

holt43

Recruit
Mar 8, 2009
Yes, I know I never post. So take this however you want.
Everyone talks about Grayson and struggling. Please let me give my take. I, in my opinion don't see Duval passing to Grayson (ever) unless he is stuck or clock running down. Grayson likes to get the ball and quick release. That doesn't happen now. Reasons, I don't know. Plenty of times down court Allen's man is 8-9' off him but quick pass never happens.
Hate me, complain about this post I don't care but does anyone else see this?

Scoring wasn't the problem, and it really hasn't been the issue with this team. The defense and decision making by Trevon Duval and Grayson has been absolutely atrocious this season. How do you allow the man, that is right by you with ball in his hand, and no one guarding him to drive to the basket? The whole time you are not guarding anyone space. They play defense like James Harden Everytime down the court. They don't communicate on the defensive end until after someone scores.

This has been talked about on game day thread or thread about bench, but I don't think the ball goes thru Grayson enough. We have 2 really good bigs, the first time since probably Brand's days that we were more inside out. Saying this will probably start a fight, but I think we are too reliant on Bagley/Carter, and our senior guard has become a shell of himself as far as looking to score.
I think there has been some tendency from Duval to not pass it to him in good spots, maybe not enough good screens for Allen too. Then again, maybe Grayson is trying to keep the others happy. None of us truly know.
Hell half the board thought Bolden would be a starter, most of us thought we would play 8-9 based off K's comments after last season.

The only thing I'm certain of is Grayson isn't the Grayson we need. Everyone thought it was just a shooting slump 6-7 games ago. I find it very ironic that his best game was Bagley went down and then the offense flowed thru him. That was beautiful to watch too. That Grayson can lead us to a title, I'm not sure this one can.

This has been talked about on game day thread or thread about bench, but I don't think the ball goes thru Grayson enough. We have 2 really good bigs, the first time since probably Brand's days that we were more inside out. Saying this will probably start a fight, but I think we are too reliant on Bagley/Carter, and our senior guard has become a shell of himself as far as looking to score.
I think there has been some tendency from Duval to not pass it to him in good spots, maybe not enough good screens for Allen too. Then again, maybe Grayson is trying to keep the others happy. None of us truly know.
Hell half the board thought Bolden would be a starter, most of us thought we would play 8-9 based off K's comments after last season.

The only thing I'm certain of is Grayson isn't the Grayson we need. Everyone thought it was just a shooting slump 6-7 games ago. I find it very ironic that his best game was Bagley went down and then the offense flowed thru him. That was beautiful to watch too. That Grayson can lead us to a title, I'm not sure this one can.
Good post Mac. Grayson looks like he’s tired physically and mentally. Ask ourselves this? Had Grayson been like the Grayson of old would that have been a goaltending call or a poster for sports center top tens.

I'm not sure if he's deferring too much, just lost confidence in his shot, or what. Grayson doesn't have to score 20 points a game, but damn, we need more than 5 a game. He's now had more single digit games scoring wise this season than I ever thought possible for a player of his caliber. Grayson has been doing a lot of other stuff to help this team, but to get where we want to go, he needs to provide this team with a little more scoring punch. I know he can do it.

OFC

Last edited:
Grayson looks like he’s ready for a meltdown. Watch his body language. There is something going on with him. I hope that I’m reading this wrong. Coaching staff hopefully has a grip on this.

44 of the 63 points were scored by Carter & Bagley...

Grayson
- could be trying to be unselfish and demonstrate that to the Fr.
- truly be tired bc its a grind day in and day out
- mentally questioning why the slump and trying to be a good Sr leader and give the ball to the guys who are scoring

Lots could be said. At this point, he's the Sr leader of a young team. We will have to sit back and see how he responds

Fight started!!! How dare you say some foolishness like that hahaha. But no forreal Bagley or Carter should get a touch every time down the floor. Out of the three we lost this is the only game where both of them led in shot attempts. In the other 2 losses the perimeter players got trigger happy and shot us out of victories. If we run offense through those two we should win every game. We just need two of the guards to hit double digits efficiently. Bagley and Carter can’t be stopped.

44 of the 63 points were scored by Carter & Bagley...

Grayson
- could be trying to be unselfish and demonstrate that to the Fr.
- truly be tired bc its a grind day in and day out
- mentally questioning why the slump and trying to be a good Sr leader and give the ball to the guys who are scoring

Lots could be said. At this point, he's the Sr leader of a young team. We will have to sit back and see how he responds
I agree,Grayson is a 22 year old kid,with a tremendous amount of pressure on him,not only to be the leader of these young guys,but also to make amends for past mistakes.no one is more concerned about his shooting woe's than he is,his team mates have his back,so do i...

Fight started!!! How dare you say some foolishness like that hahaha. But no forreal Bagley or Carter should get a touch every time down the floor. Out of the three we lost this is the only game where both of them led in shot attempts. In the other 2 losses the perimeter players got trigger happy and shot us out of victories. If we run offense through those two we should win every game. We just need two of the guards to hit double digits efficiently. Bagley and Carter can’t be stopped.
If you've watched Grayson play for almost 4 seasons now, and I'm sure you have, when he's good, so is Duke. If he can get his swag back, Duke isn't good, they're almost unbeatable. He can't lead and sit in the backseat. If he's good, the team, most notably our 2 bigs, won't see much of a drop in production. I think he needs to get some screens, we have the size to set them for him, and let him create. Grayson is like a race car that needs to be unleashed. Right now he's playing as if the gas pedal won't go to the floor.

The Michigan State game he drove the car full throttle. Carter had 12 and 12.

If you've watched Grayson play for almost 4 seasons now, and I'm sure you have, when he's good, so is Duke. If he can get his swag back, Duke isn't good, they're almost unbeatable. He can't lead and sit in the backseat. If he's good, the team, most notably our 2 bigs, won't see much of a drop in production. I think he needs to get some screens, we have the size to set them for him, and let him create. Grayson is like a race car that needs to be unleashed. Right now he's playing as if the gas pedal won't go to the floor.

The Michigan State game he drove the car full throttle. Carter had 12 and 12.

Ehhhhhhh i agree somewhat. Leading doesn't necessarily mean scoring a lot though. We need him to consistently get about 12 points efficiently. Anything after that is icing on the cake. Bagley and Carter can't be stopped and they shoot high percentage shots. That's why they should be option 1 and 2. People are about to start double teaming them both. Trent and Grayson just need to be ready to shoot GOOD shots. You can't give the 3rd (maybe 4th) best player on the team more shots than the top 2

I have seen him get frustrated when Duval sometimes doesn't pass to him, but Duval is not always on the floor and sometimes Allen runs PG. And his slump continues. Can't put blame on Duval for that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT