ADVERTISEMENT

mcdonalds all American

My takeaways:
1. RJ can take anyone off the dribble anytime he wants and get to the spot he likes, if not all the way to the rim. He’s got a leaders mentality and a competitive fire. Woulda been MVP if the East won. He will easily be our leading scorer next year.

2. Really impressed with Tre’s court vision. Definitely looked to pass first, play some pesky defense second, and score third. Just what we need with this group. Bet he averages 8 apg next year.

3. Cam showed good patience and didn’t force anything. But he disappeared at times. I actually think his willingness to take a step back bodes well for our team with a lot of alpha dogs. We will need guys to fit into certain roles. He made some big plays at the end which won the game including a clutch 3–something we could have used this year.

4. Zion had the worst showing of the four. Sucks he got hurt. My favorite was seeing him pound it inside and just move aside bigger, taller guys. His rebounding didn’t stand out to me one way or another which was something I was hoping to see, especially his how he rebounds in traffic.

5. Romeo Langford can light it up. And he’s got some range.

6. Lol at UNC fans who say Little won’t start because Roy doesn’t start freshmen. I HOPE they are right. But the dude is a playmaker and someone I already can’t stand. He was his own biggest fan

My takeaways:
1. RJ can take anyone off the dribble anytime he wants and get to the spot he likes, if not all the way to the rim. He’s got a leaders mentality and a competitive fire. Woulda been MVP if the East won. He will easily be our leading scorer next year.

2. Really impressed with Tre’s court vision. Definitely looked to pass first, play some pesky defense second, and score third. Just what we need with this group. Bet he averages 8 apg next year.

3. Cam showed good patience and didn’t force anything. But he disappeared at times. I actually think his willingness to take a step back bodes well for our team with a lot of alpha dogs. We will need guys to fit into certain roles. He made some big plays at the end which won the game including a clutch 3–something we could have used this year.

4. Zion had the worst showing of the four. Sucks he got hurt. My favorite was seeing him pound it inside and just move aside bigger, taller guys. His rebounding didn’t stand out to me one way or another which was something I was hoping to see, especially his how he rebounds in traffic.

6. Lol at UNC fans who say Little won’t start because Roy doesn’t start freshmen. I HOPE they are right. But the dude is a playmaker and someone I already can’t stand. He was his own biggest fan

Tre Jones averaging 8 APG? That's awfully hard to do lol. Lonzo Ball averaged I think 7 at UCLA and he was the best passer in college since Kendall Marshall who averaged almost 10 APG at UNC.

I would bet Jones averages around 6.5, just a bit more than Tyus did.

I was at the game so didn’t get to hear any of the commentary or analysis but I found Nassir extremely hateable. Not sure if this came across on TV or not but as soon as Zion got the ball in the middle of the second half the entire arena stood up and started cheering to see him take it to the rim. Nassir decides to play way harder defense than anything else I saw the entire game, mugs him, doesn’t get called for it, then Zion goes out with a thumb injury. Has anyone heard any updates on his prognosis?

Relax lol - he played fine defense. It's an all star game and everyone was getting hype since it was Zion and a Duke vs UNC recruit. He stripped him the play before and then took his cookies on the very next play. Nothing to complain about it. It's just friendly competition. Nassir and Coby were hanging out with the duke guys all week.

Nassir Little was MVP. He looked great. I really wish UNC would sign a more hate-able player. It pisses me off that I actually like their guys.

Sounds as though Little may end up moving in front of Zion and/or Cam per Bossi’s article on the game.

Relax lol - he played fine defense. It's an all star game and everyone was getting hype since it was Zion and a Duke vs UNC recruit. He stripped him the play before and then took his cookies on the very next play. Nothing to complain about it. It's just friendly competition. Nassir and Coby were hanging out with the duke guys all week.

Is slapping across someone’s chest “taking their cookie?” I certainly don’t think he did anything intentionally malicious so I’ll temporarily downgrade my potential hatred to skeptical dislike for the time being.

Interesting dynamic with Zion attracting all the media attention. Even my novice CBB buddies that "enjoyed" the Kansas game with me, mentioned Zion. As if he is destined to be the next LeBron. Fortunately, seems the other 3 pieces are the right fit to accept him (and hopefully help him progress as a player)

Reactions: Quavarius
WHAT is Bossi's reasoning for doing that a frigging all star game!! If he does that based on this game he is an idiot.

Check out the thread on THR regarding this game. By the 2nd or 3rd page, they're raging and seething over ESPN spending more time before, during, and after the game talking about Duke's players instead of Little. It's like let's think about this logically. ONE team has the top three ranked players from the class and they're all in the game. Should we instead pick players that are in double digit rankings and talk about them instead?

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't matter which school had the #1-3 players in their recruiting class, they would be talked about. It has nothing to do with it being Duke or a shot at UNC.

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
I looked up the box score this morning and what jumped out to me were the 9 assists and 5 steals from Reddish. Those were done very quietly, much like Reddish himself. He could literally be our unsung hero next year.

Reactions: sgrooms
I looked up the box score this morning and what jumped out to me were the 9 assists and 5 steals from Reddish. Those were done very quietly, much like Reddish himself. He could literally be our unsung hero next year.
His jump-shot is so pure. Every open 3 he shoots next year, I will believe it's going in. Much like Gary, but Cam is much bigger and longer, should be able to get open looks easier than Gary.

My takeaways:

Watched pieces of the game but Langford really stood out to me. Think he is gonna be special.

I’ve already got a nickname for one of UNC’s new recruits, “Lil Tumbleweed”

tumblr_oryljhaSTE1v1z098o1_400.gif

Yes, that team. They had exactly what you described.
Other than Giles having an unfortunate injury before the season denying him an opportunity for a solid year, Tatum and Bolden having injuries, Jackson having a minor injury, Jefferson having one a third into the season, Allen's foot problems as well as his mental lapse, plus Coach K's back surgery, I mean everything went really smooth other than that, but those things shouldn't have affected Duke at all should they?
You're exactly right, that's exactly the type of team I think can be successful!!!!!

Other than Giles having an unfortunate injury before the season denying him an opportunity for a solid year, Tatum and Bolden having injuries, Jackson having a minor injury, Jefferson having one a third into the season, Allen's foot problems as well as his mental lapse, plus Coach K's back surgery, I mean everything went really smooth other than that, but those things shouldn't have affected Duke at all should they?
You're exactly right, that's exactly the type of team I think can be successful!!!!!

That's all I was asking.....if you think the makeup of the 2016-17 team was one that could be successful. You don't have to be so damn defensive.

So yeah I think he's a little high on himself.. :rolleyes:
If he's worked hard for it, I see no issue with chirping a bit, though I'd rather my players be the silent type and let their actions speak. Barry Sanders and Jerry Rice always come to mind. I like quiet leaders. There's a certain power in just doing your job well and walking away. Save the emotion for the big moments. Be like K.

Reactions: Canadian Dukie
Most of Zion's peers congratulated him when he made his decision to attend Duke. Little tweeted something like, "if you can't beat them, join them...."

My opinion? I think he'll fit in just fine in Chapel Hill. He has a lot in common with them.

What does he have a lot in common with the current guys at UNC?

Pretty cool that Reddish and Jones had 9 and 8 assists respectively. Good sign they like to pass and that bodes well for "team play" next year.

If Tre Jones is anything like his brother (personalities always differ, of course) he should really be a great distributor. We didn't have that a lot this year. I always loved how Tyus had the maturity to not force the game; and fed other players - until he was needed, then he would step up and hit some huge shots at the end of games. If Tre has that element, we should be good.

What a different looking team we'll have next year. However, I hope that Bolden - assuming he returns, which I think he should - remains healthy, becomes stronger and more assertive, and can get big minutes at the C.

I'm a lil concerned with 3 ball shooting next year, our starting 5 will not be strong in that department. But boy we will have talent.

I'm a lil concerned with 3 ball shooting next year, our starting 5 will not be strong in that department. But boy we will have talent.

In 2015 we only had one person that we know was a shooter and he wasn’t one that would actually scare you coming into the season. Quinn was a pretty average three point shooter coming into that season. Other than him we didn’t have a 3 point shooter. We were gonna play inside out and attack the basket. It’s looking like Cam and Alex will be our shooters. The good thing is that we have above average height at the 2 and 3 so we will be able to post those guys and create mismatches. We will draw a lot of fouls on teams

A lot to be impressed with for multiple players last night. I’m actually glad there was some defensive intensity at the end. Made it more interesting.

To be fair 95 percent of the game had no defense whatsoever. But the final two minutes were pretty interesting.

I was just hyped to see some of these kids. Two in particular for me.

Haha! Okay I watched the first half and turned it off too brutal for me

R.J. is going to be an incredible specimen. And as far as worrying about the 3 ball next season, I'm not. My only worries are cohesiveness and defense, everything else is locked and loaded.

Reactions: Quavarius
I would prefer this team not fall in love with the 3. I hate it when they aren't falling, but we keep shooting them anyway. Nothing wrong with a open 15 footer that goes down

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT