ADVERTISEMENT

Learned My Lesson

Devilinside

Cameron Crazy
Dec 30, 2010
Columbia, SC
Went to the UVA game. Got upset at all the layups along the baseline they were getting. Then I heard K after the game explain that that was all by design. He figured we had a better chance at stopping the three than we did preventing their baseline attack, and that we could not do both. So, we gave up more on the baseline, but held them to 3 for 17 from 3. Not going to second-guess K on strategy again. Now know I don't know sh*t.

Overall, I think it has more to do with the kids than him. They listen, and try their best to do as told.
I will say him going zone was a huge call. That is a move he wouldn’t have made 5 years ago.

When something doesn't work, you have room to blame both K's strategy and the players' hearts and character.
Just want to tell you Datt, I have your Valentine's gift on layaway. Two more payments and it's yours pal!

#hugs&kisses

Reactions: skysdad
When something doesn't work, you have room to blame both K's strategy and the players' hearts and character.

Thats what's so great about this board and most message boards in general! True Duke Fans are free to 2nd guess.Sound point datt!

Depending upon how much you know about coaching basketball and playing college basketball. If you are not an expert, you only have room to question in most cases that are not so obvious as to shout the problem.

Depending upon how much you know about coaching basketball and playing college basketball. If you are not an expert, you only have room to question in most cases that are not so obvious as to shout the problem.

I seldom see any such questioning, althoug there was one last week DevilInside that caused me to do a double take: Would you consider should RECONSIDER diving for a loose ball so as to prevent injury a VALID critique? I am just trying to gauge what you consider worthy and unworthy....Thanks in advance!

SOME people here like to make bold comments and act like K is slipping, sure, he makes mistakes , but he's FORGOT more about basketball than every poster on this board will ever know. I just usually laugh and think "what an idiot" when people suggest it's the players, not K , for end game results. K is the mastermind behind every game these kids win, he makes it happen. And he's always good, sometimes he's absolutely brilliant.

I did question the "give up layups but not 3s" strategy because it never makes sense to me to give up layups. But now I realize that what K is saying is it's easier to stop the 3 and also results in fewer fouls. Which is important when you're playing 5 or 6 guys and can't afford fouls. So once again Coach K not only knows more basketball than all of us but also knows his team better.

I did question the "give up layups but not 3s" strategy because it never makes sense to me to give up layups. But now I realize that what K is saying is it's easier to stop the 3 and also results in fewer fouls. Which is important when you're playing 5 or 6 guys and can't afford fouls. So once again Coach K not only knows more basketball than all of us but also knows his team better.

In today's game it is very difficult to stop high quality teams from getting layups. We have one of the best shot blocking teams in the country but every time we challenged a UVA layup they managed to get the ball over our shot blockers. Not only are players today much better at driving the basketball for layups than they used to be (watch games from the 70's and 80's, hardly anybody is putting their head down and driving full speed strong and hard into the paint and when they did it was a clearer path rather than trying to force their way. The game was about passing and finesse) but the rules also favor the driver.

giphy.gif

Overall, I think it has more to do with the kids than him. They listen, and try their best to do as told.
I will say him going zone was a huge call. That is a move he wouldn’t have made 5 years ago.
This was the difference. Make Virginia play against a different look and the mismatch with Bolden on the switch

Last edited:
This was the difference. Make Virginia play against what they had been doing all game

Agreed... We definitely caught them off guard w/that maneuver by K. Also our players really did a great job of opening up the floor on offense and allowing Zion and RJ room to drive! It was a terrific job by K in getting the team ready in 5 days, ESPECIALLY in a SHORTHANDED situation...

Reactions: Showenuff

I don't much about coaching coaching basketball. I never played high school or college basketball. So I'm not even a novice much less an expert. I'm just a fan who ever now and then gets pissed because the shot clock goes off or we start missing fouls shots or not getting our carcasses back on defense when unc cheater u goes into that transition offense but the hinges is I'm not on the court so I really don't know. So for the most part of the time I get over it and am grateful that I am a Duke fan and they are in the hunt every year. I remember a time when we got to go on the hunt just every now and then. I don't want to ever see that again. OFC

I seldom see any such questioning, althoug there was one last week DevilInside that caused me to do a double take: Would you consider should RECONSIDER diving for a loose ball so as to prevent injury a VALID critique? I am just trying to gauge what you consider worthy and unworthy....Thanks in advance!
Not a question of worthy or unworthy. Issue here is blaming somebody and who is qualified to assign blame. That said, if a player did not dive for a ball for the sole purpose of not hurting himself, I would consider such selfishness so obviously wrong that anyone who follows the sport is qualified to assign blame in that narrow circumstance.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Yeah, but Dakich could have stopped the layups too. Since this was just another cupcake on our schedule, he would have had his team win by 20..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT