ADVERTISEMENT

K singing Bolden's praises!

I think Zion is much more likely to go up against Javin and Jack Day to Day than he is RJ, since they are different positions. Also this idea that Zion has to adapt to the skill level and size as if he has never seen it before is being way over blown.
He will go up against Jack and Javin, yes because they will be playing on the 2nd squad often... But Zion NEEDS to go up against RJ who will play SF/PF... You will see RJ on the block a lot, and at some points he will be a small ball PF... I don't think the competition level has been overblown. I hope he can grow his gam over the summer playing competitively against RJ, Cam, Jack, Javin, Ques... RJ is a winner, a competitor... who will challenge Zion the Best. Zion should play more of a 4, but he will play a lot of the 3 as most players don't want to embrace playing on the interior. He needs to embrace playing closer to the basket.

I say he needs to play RJ because RJ is the best player... the best competitor... That will make Zion Better. RJ is a 3 with ability to post and play some 4 and Zion is a 4 that will play a lot of 3...

Bolden is a true BIG who knows defense and rebounding come first. I wouldn't say he is the best, just that he has a lot of potential with as many guys as Duke has that can penetrate. He can capitalize on easy baskets off follows, others finding him under the bucket and off of his post moves ( mainly lefty hook ).. but hopefully he adds to the back to the basket moves and some face up game too.

I know the first two years weren't what he wanted. A lot of injuries and playing with other bigs who were very talented made it tough for him to gain traction.

I am proud of the way he has stuck with the team and I think he is determined to show he is still an NBA prospect. Sad bud if a 5 star prospect hasn't made a big time impact in their first 2 years, people write them off...

Bolden’s 5 star status was because he was one of the biggest players at his age and could actually shoot pretty well, at least FT and around the rim. You just see that very often each cycle. He never had a motor or good instincts which is why we haven’t relied on him much. His draft stock would have dropped if we played him 30 mpg as a frosh. Bolden knows this. He aint dumb.

Reactions: dbav
Bolden may be the best BIG in college basketball.

A laughably low bar for the upcoming season. I've been as big a proponent of Bolden as anyone, but I'll admit that college hoops will have a dearth of quality big men next year.

Bolden’s 5 star status was because he was one of the biggest players at his age and could actually shoot pretty well, at least FT and around the rim. You just see that very often each cycle. He never had a motor or good instincts which is why we haven’t relied on him much. His draft stock would have dropped if we played him 30 mpg as a frosh. Bolden knows this. He aint dumb.

Bolden, not unlike the Plumlee bros, looks like a heckuva player as he's getting off the bus. He's got great size, good length, and moves pretty well. He's got near elite size and length, but he's merely a "good" athlete. But when he gets off the bus, walks around, and goes through warmups, he looks like a future starting C in the NBA.
But then the game starts, and it becomes obvious that his motor isn't great, and he doesn't have a great hoops IQ.
The IQ is what it is. He's not stupid, so he'll learn more about playing the game as he plays the game more vs high level comp. But, again, like the Plums, I doubt he ever really plays the game at an instinctual level.
A higher motor would alleviate some of those concerns.
Honestly, this season could hinge on how hard Cam and Bolden play on consistent basis. If they are high motor guys this year, we are a FF team. If they don't play with high motors, the FF gets difficult to achieve.

Bolden, not unlike the Plumlee bros, looks like a heckuva player as he's getting off the bus. He's got great size, good length, and moves pretty well. He's got near elite size and length, but he's merely a "good" athlete. But when he gets off the bus, walks around, and goes through warmups, he looks like a future starting C in the NBA.
But then the game starts, and it becomes obvious that his motor isn't great, and he doesn't have a great hoops IQ.
The IQ is what it is. He's not stupid, so he'll learn more about playing the game as he plays the game more vs high level comp. But, again, like the Plums, I doubt he ever really plays the game at an instinctual level.
A higher motor would alleviate some of those concerns.
Honestly, this season could hinge on how hard Cam and Bolden play on consistent basis. If they are high motor guys this year, we are a FF team. If they don't play with high motors, the FF gets difficult to achieve.

This was never more evident after Duke’s pro day the last two seasons where scouts gave internal feedback that Bolden was one of Duke’s top 5 prospects. He and Luke wowed them the year before and last year they came away even more impressed.

He’s a workout warrior. I think his mental part needs to catch up. You made the perfect comparison to the Plumlees. And Mason never looked as good as when he had Kyrie running as close to a true point guard as he ever saw. Tre Jones could offer that to Bolden this season.

Reactions: jamsession3
This was never more evident after Duke’s pro day the last two seasons where scouts gave internal feedback that Bolden was one of Duke’s top 5 prospects. He and Luke wowed them the year before and last year they came away even more impressed.

He’s a workout warrior. I think his mental part needs to catch up. You made the perfect comparison to the Plumlees. And Mason never looked as good as when he had Kyrie running as close to a true point guard as he ever saw. Tre Jones could offer that to Bolden this season.

Give Bolden the block by himself and you will see something special!!!

I agree.....I think Bolden is better than what we have seen in the past. I look for him to step up and be a pretty solid player this year

Reactions: dukephysics
I agree.....I think Bolden is better than what we have seen in the past. I look for him to step up and be a pretty solid player this year
I thought Bolden played really well this season in his limited time. I think with the 5 spot basically locked down this year, the impression is going to be very different re: him. I have been convinced he has all the tools needed to be a very good post player at the college level and a very serviceable pro.

And he was proven correct. What’s your point?

Curry was one of the nation's best shooting guards in 2013. He was never remotely a top point guard.

Krzyzewski has been known to use the media to motivate his players.

K saying nice things publicly about Bolden is a smart move. He also knows he needs Bolden to step up.

Reactions: jamsession3

Bolden was, maybe, THE story of the McDonald's game. Scouts raved about his size, length, mobility, skill, and upside. His practices had everybody drooling.
Then the game happened, and he was one of the disappointments, relative to how he'd practiced. We've seen more of that in 2 years. I know he hasn't been 100% healthy, but neither has he been what I'd consider to be "injured."
And, again IDGAF about his offense. No one here should care about his offense. The NBA doesn't and won't, unless he starts hitting 40% from 3 on 3+ attempts per game.
His size and mobility should make him a top tier defender and plus rebounder. If he'll focus on defending the rim and rebounding, and do so at a high level, Duke will play in the FF and Bolden will be a mid first round pick in 1 year from now. Any scoring (outside of putbacks and drop offs from others) are mere incidental add ons. I hope he knows this and is working accordingly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT