ADVERTISEMENT

Just a quick few words about Tyus Jones

gottagonow

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Apr 14, 2010
I hope this doesn't sound like something a total Homer says but I hope everyone appreciates Tyus Jones as players like him just don't happen very often in a fans lifetime. I don't remember a player like him since...well, I don't remember a freshman like Tyus for Duke but once or twice since I have been a Duke fan. We have had some great pg's in the past but who better than Tyus ? Maybe Hurley accomplished more than probably Tyus will but thats just becoming distant memories for me.

Tyus thank you for being a Blue Devil.

ofc

He is truly special, Gottago. I've enjoyed the ride he's help take us on.

OFC

Tonight showcased he's had the best Duke season of the 2014-15 season. Okafor probably shouldn't be winning the National POY over a senior in Kaminsky

Originally posted by Alaskan_Assassin_21:
Tonight showcased he's had the best Duke season of the 2014-15 season. Okafor probably shouldn't be winning the National POY over a senior in Kaminsky
I think Kaminsky will win it when it is all said and done. Man on man, what I a kid Tyus is. We are so blessed to have a kid like this on our team guys. And we still have two tourney's to watch him play in!!!!!

Originally posted by bleediteveryday30:
Originally posted by Alaskan_Assassin_21:
I think Kaminsky will win it when it is all said and done. Man on man, what I a kid Tyus is. We are so blessed to have a kid like this on our team guys. And we still have two tourney's to watch him play in!!!!!
haha great point about 2 exciting Tournament. Postseason Time!

I see NBA greatness in the young man. J Kidd with a jumper and without the dark personality.

He is special. His toughness can't be questioned, and he is always on point mentally.

He's my favorite player from this class. My favorite player of all time was Bobby Hurley and he reminds me of him. He's primarily a distributor but can score. I hope we get another year of him.

Originally posted by dbav:
He's my favorite player from this class. My favorite player of all time was Bobby Hurley and he reminds me of him. He's primarily a distributor but can score. I hope we get another year of him.
I want all 4 years. I won't fault anyone for going pro. Tyus would keep us winning for a loooong time. He makes the game so fun to watch.

Kaminsky should get the award. If it is close the senior should always win IMO.

We need to keep in mind that Jah got doubled on every play. He still makes the game easier for our guards.

Tyus is awesome though...one of my favorites

Originally posted by Tim1515:
Kaminsky should get the award. If it is close the senior should always win IMO.

We need to keep in mind that Jah got doubled on every play. He still makes the game easier for our guards.

Tyus is awesome though...one of my favorites
I agree with this. The senior deserves it for the body of consistent work. Just like when Battier and J.J won. Years of hard work should be rewarded. And Kaminsky is a special player that I do not want to see again until the final four if need be.

I made a thread about Tyus maybe a month ago. I felt like we hadn't been noticing what he was doing. The focus was Jah, and understandably, but I felt Tyus was the engine. He was filling the stat sheet. The big shots. The toughness. I felt like this team was getting better because Tyus was/is.

I know I'm a homer and biased. But I believe this is the best team in the country. UK can be undefeated. And they are great. But I still think we would have the best pro prospects. Anthony-Townes is the exceptions.

Originally posted by GTHC, GTH!:
I made a thread about Tyus maybe a month ago. I felt like we hadn't been noticing what he was doing. The focus was Jah, and understandably, but I felt Tyus was the engine. He was filling the stat sheet. The big shots. The toughness. I felt like this team was getting better because Tyus was/is.

I know I'm a homer and biased. But I believe this is the best team in the country. UK can be undefeated. And they are great. But I still think we would have the best pro prospects. Anthony-Townes is the exceptions.
You're right about all of this and yes, you are kind of a homer.
wink.r191677.gif

If Tyus stayed 4 years he would probably go down as one of the all time greats at Duke. He is a winner. He emits victory. He simply observes what needs to happen and executes. He makes almost zero bad decisions. He knows when to back off, he knows when to push harder. His passing is unmatched, in fact so good, you can actually witness him realizing that he COULD make a pass in certain situations but the recipient just isn't alert or capable enough to catch it so he waves off. His calm demeanor helps the team. He's always calculating but calm. And as small as he is, toughness is unquestionable. Hearing rivals discussing their pg's are better is absolutely laughable. I pray we keep him one more season, but I'm very worried it won't be the case.

Originally posted by Showenuff:
If Tyus stayed 4 years he would probably go down as one of the all time greats at Duke. He is a winner. He emits victory. He simply observes what needs to happen and executes. He makes almost zero bad decisions. He knows when to back off, he knows when to push harder. His passing is unmatched, in fact so good, you can actually witness him realizing that he COULD make a pass in certain situations but the recipient just isn't alert or capable enough to catch it so he waves off. His calm demeanor helps the team. He's always calculating but calm. And as small as he is, toughness is unquestionable. Hearing rivals discussing their pg's are better is absolutely laughable. I pray we keep him one more season, but I'm very worried it won't be the case.
If we win the title and he leaves I will be okay with that. However, I want him to stay whether we win or not. And I really think he stays no matter what. Especially if Winslow stays. Jah is gone, we all know that is a foregone conclusion at this point. But, Jones and Winslow are both guys who could really benefit from another year in college, hell, Jah could too.

May sound silly, but as long as Tyus is at the pg , we have a chance to win no matter who we recruit.

May sound silly, but as long as Tyus is at the pg , we have a chance to win no matter who we recruit.
Yup. Having a PG who makes everyone else better is HUGE! You have a chance with guys like that, always.

It has been fun seeing him get better and better though. In not a long period of time.

That doesn't sound silly at all. I believe that we could have another team that could potentially cut down the nets next year if Tyus stays, and assuming Winslow does as well. Because I believe Matt and Grayson will be consistent scorers for our team and with Tyus to distribute this team could be nasty good with all the talent we are adding, again, assuming Winslow stays of course.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT