ADVERTISEMENT

Jeter transfers

IF Luke were to come back next season as well. Where do you think he would fit into the rotation?

I doubt Grayson and Luke both come back. I would be happy if we could just get one of them. But for argument's sake, let's say that we get Jackson, Allen, and Kennard back - and we sign Duval and Knox. First of all, wow, that would be stupid awesome. Now, Duval has to start because the team is an obvious need of a point guard; Knox would start because K loves the stretch 4 that can also grab some rebounds. Kennard would have to start because he is easily the best scoring option. The final starting spot would be between Frank and Grayson. I'd like to have Grayson off the bench for that instant offense... But I think this is mostly a dream scenario. I can't realistically imagine both Grayson and Luke returning. I would say Luke is 80-85% gone and Grayson is 50-60% gone... We shall see.

We're all just glad to see you and your family are doing well. Know it's been tough trying to piece your lives back together again after such a devastating setback. Hang in there!
FTB, I'll leave my email address here, if you want to contact me or leave your email addy.
oldasdirtdevil@hotmail.com

I'll remove it later, but it's not like a few Heels haven't got it anyway. If any Heels email me any hate, I'll send them nekkid pictures of Ol'Roy.:)

OFC
Got it, ODD. Heading to bed now. I'll email you tomorrow evening. I curse any UNC fans that email you with a Coca-Cola boycott of Roy and a McDonalds boycott of Meeks. ;)

Reactions: skysdad
Semi came out of high school regarded as a scorer ..and ur trying to compare Jeter to him? Lol I'll go with what I know )right) now..that he's not very good...not speculations

Last edited:
Jeter is a finesse post scorer. College is a different animal and it can take those players a while to adapt.

I hate transfers but they will continue to happen as long as Duke is having so much success recruiting top talent.

I don't like having so much turnover and the current approach will lead to seasons like these (so much potential) but is that worse then seasons with more 4-year players and much less talent?...the final results have been similar.

Reactions: vcugreg
I've been gone for a while. Sorry about that to those I didn't piss off and we're happy to see me gone . It's been a crazy year and a half. We're (my family) still just getting back to normal.

I've been thinking about you all and this board and saw this post from Show and thought it was a perfect post to quote and support for my first post back in a while. I agree 100%! I remember some dark times when the sky was falling in 2009 and 2014. It got better. Be patient...

I hope everyone has been well! I've been keeping up with the team as much as possible but not near what I use to. I still watch most every game, but dont have the extra time I used to.

@OldasdirtDevil i no longer use the email we were communicating on. Sorry if you emailed. I switched jobs on a whim to get closer to my wife's surgeons in Portland. I meant to send you an email. I hope you're doing well!

To all the other regulars I used to communicate with: "Hello. Missed ya'll! I hope to post more often."

Really happy to have you back. Been thinking of you and the wife. I was keeping up with her progress but lost the link. Looking forward to your post. OFC

I doubt Grayson and Luke both come back. I would be happy if we could just get one of them. But for argument's sake, let's say that we get Jackson, Allen, and Kennard back - and we sign Duval and Knox. First of all, wow, that would be stupid awesome. Now, Duval has to start because the team is an obvious need of a point guard; Knox would start because K loves the stretch 4 that can also grab some rebounds. Kennard would have to start because he is easily the best scoring option. The final starting spot would be between Frank and Grayson. I'd like to have Grayson off the bench for that instant offense... But I think this is mostly a dream scenario. I can't realistically imagine both Grayson and Luke returning. I would say Luke is 80-85% gone and Grayson is 50-60% gone... We shall see.
There would be quite a logjam at the 2 if both came back.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I think this is a good move for Chase. Doesn't really bother me that he's leaving. He seems like a good kid; but, honestly, I don't think he had the talent to be competitive for minutes at Duke. He needs to be in a program that's not quite as high profile or in as competitive a conference (like a UNLV).

Going to be interesting to see how all this plays out. If we can ...

1) keep one of the blue chippers that are supposed to be leaving; and,
2) land Duval ...

- we'll be okay with the freshman coming in.

Reactions: Baller224
This might be a little ambitious, but here's what I'm kind of hoping our lineup looks like... I really want to see Javin in the rotation either way.

Trevon Duval 6'3 Fr
Frank Jackson 6'3 So
Grayson Allen 6'5 Sr
Kevin Knox 6'8 Fr
Wendell Carter 6'10 Fr

6th man:
Gary Trent 6'4 Fr

7th-8th:
Javin DeLaurier 6'10 So
Antonio Vrankovic 7'0 Jr

9th-10th:
Alex O'Connell 6'5 Fr
Jack White 6'7 So

I know there's a tendency to favor Duke players already on the roster over freshmen, but, if it came down to it, I don't think there's any way Frank Jackson starts over Gary Trent, Jr.

Trent is a better player.

I've been gone for a while. Sorry about that to those I didn't piss off and we're happy to see me gone . It's been a crazy year and a half. We're (my family) still just getting back to normal.

I've been thinking about you all and this board and saw this post from Show and thought it was a perfect post to quote and support for my first post back in a while. I agree 100%! I remember some dark times when the sky was falling in 2009 and 2014. It got better. Be patient...

I hope everyone has been well! I've been keeping up with the team as much as possible but not near what I use to. I still watch most every game, but dont have the extra time I used to.

@OldasdirtDevil i no longer use the email we were communicating on. Sorry if you emailed. I switched jobs on a whim to get closer to my wife's surgeons in Portland. I meant to send you an email. I hope you're doing well!

To all the other regulars I used to communicate with: "Hello. Missed ya'll! I hope to post more often."

FTB, welcome back, man! Wishing the best for you and your family.

Reactions: FearTheBeard
Jax is going to be my fav player next season. His intensity is awesome to watch.

I wish Chase the absolute best - seemed like a great kid. But I don't think Duke is hurting too awful bad by losing him.

I know there's a tendency to favor Duke players already on the roster over freshmen, but, if it came down to it, I don't think there's any way Frank Jackson starts over Gary Trent, Jr.

Trent is a better player.

I don't know how you come to that conclusion without ever having seen Gary play DI college ball. If he was the top 1 or 2 incoming recruit I may say your argument has more water but you are grossly minimizing Frank and what he has already proven at this level.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Semi came out of high school regarded as a scorer ..and ur trying to compare Jeter to him? Lol I'll go with what I know )right) now..that he's not very good...not speculations
Semi came from a small high school in Kansas watch his videos he was just about the biggest person on the court. One game he dropped 46 points and looked like he was eight inches taller then everyone. That was the question about him coming into college was how he would fair against similar and better competition.
Anyway wish nothing but the best for Jeter and his career

Going back to the thread topic, has anyone thought that perhaps Coach K told Jeter that he's not in the team's plans for next year, it's better for him to look elsewhere? We have no idea what happens in the background but the fact that Jeter did not play AT ALL for the last month even though possibly healthy makes me think there might be more to the story. Jeter will be one transfer whom I wish nothing but the best for, he seems like a great young man, smart, enthusiastic, hard working. Just not ready for the prime time yet. He's also really young so a red shirt year won't hurt him.

Going back to the thread topic, has anyone thought that perhaps Coach K told Jeter that he's not in the team's plans for next year, it's better for him to look elsewhere? We have no idea what happens in the background but the fact that Jeter did not play AT ALL for the last month even though possibly healthy makes me think there might be more to the story. Jeter will be one transfer whom I wish nothing but the best for, he seems like a great young man, smart, enthusiastic, hard working. Just not ready for the prime time yet. He's also really young so a red shirt year won't hurt him.

There's always stuff behind the scenes. That's why anyone who has watched me post over the years knows I try and be as neutral as possible. We're simply not getting the whole story, and we shouldn't. We're posters on a message board.

As for Jeter, I'm sure there was more to the story. I doubt K told him he wasn't a part of the plan for next season because, to be frank, not even K knows for sure what things are going to look like next season, let alone over a month ago. Sometimes decisions like the one made by Jeter are made in advance, and if that was the case, then why would K play him?

That could be true. But why would Coach K tell a player he isn't in the plans next year when there's still a ton of uncertainty about who is back? It could be that the only returners from this year are White and Vrank. (Note, I don't think this is anywhere close to correct, but if everyone who has been mentioned actually leaves this would be it). So add to that Trent, OConnell, and Carter. Coach K uses a short bench, but it's hard to imagine Jeter gets 0 minutes on that team. I guess the only way I'd tell Jeter he isn't in the plans (if that were truly the case) would be if I knew there were several more guys staying or coming on.

Wouldn't that contradict why K recruited him to come to Duke? I mean to tell a kid how he fits into your style of play, what your plans are to developed his skill are some of the reasons these kids choose Duke.
It might have been in the cards for awhile and they thought it would be best for Jeter just to get healthy so he could move on. I doubt K told him he wasn't in the plans for next season.

Reactions: Mac9192
We're all just glad to see you and your family are doing well. Know it's been tough trying to piece your lives back together again after such a devastating setback. Hang in there!
FTB, I'll leave my email address here, if you want to contact me or leave your email addy.
oldasdirtdevil@hotmail.com

I'll remove it later, but it's not like a few Heels haven't got it anyway. If any Heels email me any hate, I'll send them nekkid pictures of Ol'Roy.:)

OFC
Dirt if you sent them "neckkid" pictures of Roy they would probably say that he looks great and hope he stays on forever as he is the best couch out there. If you really wanted to get even with them I would send them a picture of K saying Roy only has two but Coach K has 5. Just use your imagination what 2 and 5 mean.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Arizona would be a great fit for him. Sean Miller does great things with bigs. Best of luck to him.

Good luck to chase. Always wanted him to succeed at duke. But seemed to be still growing into his body.

He will get minutes at u of a but not sure he will be a star. Miller plays a good number of bigs but other than williams none have been that great. Also think jeter is kind of stuck between an old school pf (not able to spread floor) and a 5

I think he will be ok for them. Sitting out this year will help him plus it won't be as much pressure playing for Miller out there than K here. Kid tried so hard not to mess up, and you know what happens when you do that. K is a tough man

Chase will be in his fourth and fifth seasons of college ball at Arizona. I would hope he's much improved.

Best of luck to him!

Reactions: dbav
Good luck to him! He definitely has the potential to become a productive player moving forward for them.

Fun fact: The last three players transferring out of the program ended up at Southern Cal, Maryland, and Arizona. Those were the final three teams we defeated in the 2001 Tournament.

Evidently our next transfer will end up at UCLA.

Daddy not happy..

7_5297645.png

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT