ADVERTISEMENT

IVY league cancels conference tournament

500HP_Devil

All Conference
Gold Member
Mar 17, 2016
Just saw on twitter via @jonrothstein.

Sources: The Ivy League has cancelled its conference tournament due to coronavirus.

Regular season champion Yale will go to the NCAA Tournament.

I will be somewhat surprised if all of March madness goes on as planned with full attendance etc. I think it will go on but wonder about attendance etc. Just my opinion though.

I really haven’t kept up with this like I should, but is this a good decision or a big to do over little?

Imagine that....The "smart" guys overreact and do the "dumb" thing and cancel the tournament. My opinion anyways. If you aren't healthy then you should be careful and limit yourself to exposure. If you are healthy, take the same precautions that you would or should all the time anyways. Like, wash your hands. Don't make out with the person who has a fever and cough and other flu like symptoms.

Just saw on twitter via @jonrothstein.

Sources: The Ivy League has cancelled its conference tournament due to coronavirus.

Regular season champion Yale will go to the NCAA Tournament.

I will be somewhat surprised if all of March madness goes on as planned with full attendance etc. I think it will go on but wonder about attendance etc. Just my opinion though.
I thought the Ivy League never had a conference tournament to begin with. I always thought the automatic bid went to whoever finished first place. Unless it has changed recently.

Reactions: nupe300
It stinks for Harvard who finishes 2nd and actually beat Yale twice.

They should have just played in an empty arena...Lavietes Pavillion holds less than 2k...would not be that huge of a revenue drop.

I thought the Ivy League never had a conference tournament to begin with. I always thought the automatic bid went to whoever finished first place. Unless it has changed recently.

The Ivy League just started with a conference tournament in 2017. Like you said, before that, the automatic bid was awarded to the regular season champion. Yes, it is a bummer for those other teams who had aspirations of making the Big Dance.

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball
The Ivy League just started with a conference tournament in 2017. Like you said, before that, the automatic bid was awarded to the regular season champion. Yes, it is a bummer for those other teams who had aspirations of making the Big Dance.
Huge bummer! Now I know they have a conference tournament. It’s about time they got with the program and had a conference tournament. Lol

Good for Yale. Bad for the rest of the Ivy League.

So what, is the Ivy League not going to allow Yale to play in the NCAAT because of coronavirus? Or does coronavirus only affect the Ivy League's tourney?

Reactions: pisgah101
The IIHF just cancelled the Womens World Hockey Championship this past Saturday,which were to take place here in Halifax..(I had already purchased tickets to the Canada-U.S.game)It's a fairly big blow to the local economy,Hotels,Restaurants etc losing a lot of revenue.Tournament will be held here next year instead.I expect that this will not be the only sporting event to be cancelled in the coming weeks/months.

Ticket sales are probably down, so it was a wash to cancel it. I went to the movies yesterday and it was a ghost town. I believe it's more likely I pick up coronavirus at a doctor's office than a movie theater at this point.

Stupid. Are we going to cancel going to retail stores such as Walmart, where every item has been touched a million times, shoes & clothes have been tried on, etc.? Grocery stores where every item has also been handled repeatedly? Hell, let's close doctor offices, and everything else. Common sense is not so common.

OFC

Italy is not a third world country...they have advanced medicine and they are struggling with this. I’d be curious to know how fast it was spreading over there at the beginning compared to what we are seeing here.

Eye opening article from one of their doctors:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...ess-shares-chilling-coronavirus-thoughts/amp/

Hope everyone and any loved ones that may be susceptible stay safe-

Reactions: Quavarius
Stupid. Are we going to cancel going to retail stores such as Walmart, where every item has been touched a million times, shoes & clothes have been tried on, etc.? Grocery stores where every item has also been handled repeatedly? Hell, let's close doctor offices, and everything else. Common sense is not so common.

OFC
If wal mart gets cancelled, I will starve. Period.

Here is what I want some insight on when it comes to this virus........WHY IS IT TANKING MY 401K DAILY? ????

Actually, after a couple divorces, I only have what I call a 201K.......I can’t afford this virus!!!

Why does this crash the stock market? People are going to stop buying McDonald’s and Nike’s and bread and milk and pork bellies?????

Walmart just announced CV in one of their stores in KY. Time to go to Target :)

There is a confirmed case in Cynthiana ky, about 45’ from where I am. One of my co-workers told me you literally cannot find toilet paper or bleach anywhere in the town. The bleach part, I kind of get, but the charmin????

Yea, I went to Food Lion to buy a big dispenser of Purel for the poker game, the girls at the register laughed when I asked where it was located.

Don’t the players attend class with hundreds of other students from all over the world every day?... if classes aren’t canceled, then this makes no sense..

At least the Tar Hole players don’t have to worry about catching any sicknesses from classmates.

I looked up earlier today to see how many total cases of the coronavirus there are in the U.S. so far and the website that I found said that it updates at 12pm daily and as of 12pm today there are 647 cases of presumptive or confirmed cases of the coronavirus in the U.S. so far. So I decided to calculate the percentage of the U.S. population that has been presumptively or confirmed to have the coronavirus. Based on the most recent estimated population of 331 million in the U.S. and the 647 presumptive and confirmed cases of the coronavirus, the percentage of people that have been presumptively or confirmed to have the coronavirus is at .00000195% or 1 in 511,592 people in the U.S.

I looked up earlier today to see how many total cases of the coronavirus there are in the U.S. so far and the website that I found said that it updates at 12pm daily and as of 12pm today there are 647 cases of presumptive or confirmed cases of the coronavirus in the U.S. so far. So I decided to calculate the percentage of the U.S. population that has been presumptively or confirmed to have the coronavirus. Based on the most recent estimated population of 331 million in the U.S. and the 647 presumptive and confirmed cases of the coronavirus, the percentage of people that have been presumptively or confirmed to have the coronavirus is at .00000195% or 1 in 511,592 people in the U.S.

I'd be interested to know if the schools had input in the decision. They're making a call to try to keep their students, who they are responsible for, safe. Hopefully, it ends up being an overreaction

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT