ADVERTISEMENT

Incoming !

Showenuff

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2006
Baker is no baby.
36487524_10156585738049456_8182550123566333952_o.jpg

Would be silly IMO if he redshirted because I feel Joey could make a solid impact for us this year! Hope Cam comes out of that walking boot soon.

Reactions: christophero
Yeah completely silly! Duke wears blue or white.

Definitely. But Joey should sit out this year. I don't see him making major contributions THIS year, and he's a multi year guy.
That said, given the mobility of Grad transfers, maybe playing him a few minutes this year makes sense.

Plus I doubt Baker intends on being a 4 year guy, might as well see if he can give us anything this year. Then he can still play another 2-3 seasons with us.

Plus I doubt Baker intends on being a 4 year guy, might as well see if he can give us anything this year. Then he can still play another 2-3 seasons with us.

Also a great point. Not OAD, but probably not a 4 year guy. As such, even mop up duty this year would be great for next year, and the year after.

Reactions: jwill133
None of these guys with NBA aspirations are going to be 4 year players anymore.Grayson being the exception this past year..As soon as they feel they have put themselves in a position to get drafted,they are out of here..be it one,two or occasionally three years.I truly feel that we may never see another players number be raised to the rafters,and that is a sad thing

None of these guys with NBA aspirations are going to be 4 year players anymore.Grayson being the exception this past year..As soon as they feel they have put themselves in a position to get drafted,they are out of here..be it one,two or occasionally three years.I truly feel that we may never see another players number be raised to the rafters,and that is a sad thing

Grayson is probably a 2 and done if he doesn't need that surgery at the end of his soph season. He PLANNED on leaving after his junior year, hence his insane class load that year, which ironically contributed to a poor year on the court and his return to Duke for his senior year.

I mean I feel like he can come in this year and definitely contribute if need be.

I don't feel he can contribute much this year. I think he's a face up combo F this year, and we are awash in those. Bolden and Jav can play the C, with Jav playing some 4 as well. Zion can probably do spot minutes at the 5 if need be in specific situations. Each of Jack White, Cam, and RJ could function as small ball pfs, also. We've got Cam, Jack, RJ, and AOC that can ALL play SG or SF. Tre and Goldwire could also play together.
Point being, any minutes Joey gets this year would have to come from Cam and RJ and Zion. Essentially all of AOC and Jack White's minutes will come at the expense of the C, R, and Z.
I hope that Joey can get some mop up minutes, but I don't see him being a better option than C, R, and Z during meaningful minutes.

I don't feel he can contribute much this year. I think he's a face up combo F this year, and we are awash in those. Bolden and Jav can play the C, with Jav playing some 4 as well. Zion can probably do spot minutes at the 5 if need be in specific situations. Each of Jack White, Cam, and RJ could function as small ball pfs, also. We've got Cam, Jack, RJ, and AOC that can ALL play SG or SF. Tre and Goldwire could also play together.
Point being, any minutes Joey gets this year would have to come from Cam and RJ and Zion. Essentially all of AOC and Jack White's minutes will come at the expense of the C, R, and Z.
I hope that Joey can get some mop up minutes, but I don't see him being a better option than C, R, and Z during meaningful minutes.
It's way, way too early to be speculating over who gets how many minutes. Assuming RJ is the real deal, he will probably get plenty. Baker may not be ready, you may be right. Then again, he may contribute early.

This is the most unique team K has had since his early years. I think it's more wide open this year in terms of p.t. for many guys than in years past.

I agree perfectly. Lol. Makes no sense in my my mind for him to redshirt. He’s too good to expect to have to be here 5 years and play 4. Unless he just wants to break records or something ??? Not good enough???? Loves Duke so much he doesn’t want to leave???? Etc. I don’t see it . I wouldn’t understand it .Why reclassify . Ready or not he shouldn’t/wouldn’t redshirt in my mind. 99/1. The 1 being maybe if he didn’t play at all he would just redshirt for the safety and obvious reason that it’s just smart after the season.. If possible ? I don’t know the rules. If you have to redshirt before the season? Or you can after, if you have 0 playing time?? I don’t know how it works. I’ll just say I don’t think it’s anyway he redshirts before the season. Unless he’s just flat out horrible, and K tells him he won’t play at all! Lmao(I constantly edit to reduce my posts)

Last edited:
Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball
Grayson is probably a 2 and done if he doesn't need that surgery at the end of his soph season. He PLANNED on leaving after his junior year, hence his insane class load that year, which ironically contributed to a poor year on the court and his return to Duke for his senior year.
A poor year? GTFO with that shit!

But let’s say there is an injury or multiple injuries, then we might have to rely on Joey.

Reactions: christophero
Yes considering Cam is in a boot I'd say Baker can contribute.

Cam and RJ are our nominal starting wings this year. One will be SG and the other SF. Take one away, and AOC becomes the de facto SG while the either of the other two is SF.
I don't think Joey will be good enough next year to take serious minutes from some combination of AOC, White, Jav, or Zion. If you do, fine. I don't.

If he does red shirt that will give him another year before he becomes the next hated Duke player by our unc friends. On second thought that doesn't make sense. He's been hated since he committed. OFC

Agree with PY, I don’t think Grayson set out to stay four years... he ended up doing it, but he didn’t plan it. K has had a number of guys on the two and three year plan in the past... I don’t think a highly recruited and insanely competitive guy like Grayson expected any less than making it to the NBA in a lesser amount of time.

Agree with PY, I don’t think Grayson set out to stay four years... he ended up doing it, but he didn’t plan it. K has had a number of guys on the two and three year plan in the past... I don’t think a highly recruited and insanely competitive guy like Grayson expected any less than making it to the NBA in a lesser amount of time.

Then you’d be wrong too

Grayson came to duke, i believe to be a four year player. His performance in April followed by the performance in his Soph year changed his plans. He went hard to then graduate in three years- many believe bc he could be the POY after his Soph year and lead his team to another final four or championship. Obviously things definitely did not turn out that way for him personally or for the team. Hence his no other choice but to return fate.

Grayson came to duke, i believe to be a four year player. His performance in April followed by the performance in his Soph year changed his plans. He went hard to then graduate in three years- many believe bc he could be the POY after his Soph year and lead his team to another final four or championship. Obviously things definitely did not turn out that way for him personally or for the team. Hence his no other choice but to return fate.

Really good insight. I feel the same way. Despite of his mistakes I'm happy he came to Duke and stuck it out. I think fans of the Utah Jazz will learn to be a fan of his. My son DukeSky85 lives there and is a fan of the Jazz. He says right now the Jazz fans have mixed reviews but I know there are very many N.C. transplants that have settled there with tar heel love. Grayson will win them over too in time. OFC

Really good insight. I feel the same way. Despite of his mistakes I'm happy he came to Duke and stuck it out. I think fans of the Utah Jazz will learn to be a fan of his. My son DukeSky85 lives there and is a fan of the Jazz. He says right now the Jazz fans have mixed reviews but I know there are very many N.C. transplants that have settled there with tar heel love. Grayson will win them over too in time. OFC

Then why did GA take so many courses that he'd graduate in THREE years, rather than FOUR years? Grad transfer? Plan on getting that post grad degree, did he?

Actions speak louder than words, and Grayson's actions were those of a guy that thought he'd leave after his junior year. I contend that he played his way into a first round possibility, but that he then had to return after his soph year due to the injury that would have prevented his working out, as well as being that dreaded lower back injury that the NBA is wary of.

Then why did GA take so many courses that he'd graduate in THREE years, rather than FOUR years? Grad transfer? Plan on getting that post grad degree, did he?

Actions speak louder than words, and Grayson's actions were those of a guy that thought he'd leave after his junior year. I contend that he played his way into a first round possibility, but that he then had to return after his soph year due to the injury that would have prevented his working out, as well as being that dreaded lower back injury that the NBA is wary of.

Actions speak louder then words... Grayson never tested the waters, he never did anything to show he planned to leave early.

Pisgah and QC did an excellent job of replying. Really don't understand your post. I do beg your pardon but I can't remember if you are a Duke fan or support someone else. OFC

Reactions: QC Dukie
It wouldn't be a new Duke squad if someone wasn't injured in some way.

Actions speak louder then words... Grayson never tested the waters, he never did anything to show he planned to leave early.

His injury, which necessitated surgery precluded him from working out for teams after his soph year. He was seen as a late first round pick, at best. Without being able to work out, while needed back surgery (again, perhaps the most damning negative a BB can have, see Porter, Michael), he almost certainly would have fallen to the second round. So he didn't test the waters. Allen had a great first 3/4s of the season, but played at a lower level down the stretch. And that was after the first tripping areas. If he'd been healthy, and able tow work out, I think he'd have at least tested. But he wasn't healthy, so he didn't bother.
He didn't test after his junior year because there was zero demand. He'd have been lucky to go late SECOND round. Folks here may lie to themselves and each other about it, but Allen had a down junior year. Bad Defense and didn't shoot well and had some embarrassing on court moments that had the entire basketball world questioning him.
He didn't test the waters for the same reason that Jack White didn't test the waters last year. No one wanted him, so what was the point of going through the motions? I could have told Allen what he'd have learned by testing the waters: "There is no demand for you right now. Go back to school and take advantage of a weaker draft class."
After his junior year, Allen was in a bad place hoops wise. His on court behavior was suspect, and he had a bad year playing the game. Why would anyone test the waters? He's not UNC level of stupid. He knew what the feed back would be. EVERYONE KNEW WHAT THE FEED BACK WOULD BE.

Regardless of when Grayson left, it all worked out for him. He went 21st overall, went to a great franchise, plus he's a great fit within that franchise.

He most likely would only have matched his draft spot had he left after his freshman year, when he had all the positive hype that one could get. He had a great sophomore year, however it was shown that year that elite athletes could shut him down. Remember the UK game?? Believe he was 1-12. And then he did slow down towards the end of that season. His junior year was a disaster, he still would have been drafted though.

Long story short....I'm glad Grayson gave Duke 4 years, it all worked out for him. Which is VERY RARE when a guy stays in college for 4 years these days.

Reactions: pisgah101
Regardless of when Grayson left, it all worked out for him. He went 21st overall, went to a great franchise, plus he's a great fit within that franchise.

He most likely would only have matched his draft spot had he left after his freshman year, when he had all the positive hype that one could get. He had a great sophomore year, however it was shown that year that elite athletes could shut him down. Remember the UK game?? Believe he was 1-12. And then he did slow down towards the end of that season. His junior year was a disaster, he still would have been drafted though.

Long story short....I'm glad Grayson gave Duke 4 years, it all worked out for him. Which is VERY RARE when a guy stays in college for 4 years these days.

Allen would have been drafted after his junior year, but I have my doubts about it being in the first round. Last year's draft was loaded.

Reactions: jwill133
Allen would have been drafted after his junior year, but I have my doubts about it being in the first round. Last year's draft was loaded.
Agreed. He would have been a 1st rounder after his freshman year.
Sophomore year I'm not sure.
Junior year was a disaster, however he did show at the end of the year that he will be great at coming off the bench and getting buckets. Most likely his NBA role.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT