ADVERTISEMENT

If you were coaching vs Purdue, what would you have done differently?

Friction.

Starter
Jan 23, 2008
Virginia Beach
Genuinely curious. Zags couldn’t figure it out and Purdue seems unstoppable. Intent is not to bash the coaching staff but just for fun.

Make it interesting - you’re going into halftime 46-35. Only caveat…you have to explain what you would do offensively and defensively in the 2nd half (Lively has 3 fouls, Flip 2, Young 2).

Example: Flip at the 5 and make Edey wear down with movement and play straight up on D trying to shut everyone else down.

Let Reeves start the second half for Lively( No fouls and protects Lively). Let Flip stay at the four with Young coming in for him. Gonzaga didn’t have the true size Duke has to throw at Edey. I’d even throw Borden in for minutes just to keep a three big rotation on him with two secondary bigs to double team.
Look for the kick out on offense. They were gang rebounding and collapsing the lane . Put Whitehead, Roach, Flip, Proctor and Mitchell in. Tell Mitchell and flip to play the corners. If Mitchell gets it , drive have Roach cut to the center of the floor or Proctor leaving three perimeter shooters on the arch for the kick out with Mitchell and a guard there for the missed shot or tap out . Tell every slasher, don’t care if they call you for a charge but attack the rim at will. ( all these finesse layups and being non-aggressive will continue to plaque Duke) .
Look at all my players with experience and tell them they need to truly help out.

Let Reeves start the second half for Lively( No fouls and protects Lively). Let Flip stay at the four with Young coming in for him. Gonzaga didn’t have the true size Duke has to throw at Edey. I’d even throw Borden in for minutes just to keep a three big rotation on him with two secondary bigs to double team.
Look for the kick out on offense. They were gang rebounding and collapsing the lane . Put Whitehead, Roach, Flip, Proctor and Mitchell in. Tell Mitchell and flip to play the corners. If Mitchell gets it , drive have Roach cut to the center of the floor or Proctor leaving three perimeter shooters on the arch for the kick out with Mitchell and a guard there for the missed shot or tap out . Tell every slasher, don’t care if they call you for a charge but attack the rim at will. ( all these finesse layups and being non-aggressive will continue to plaque Duke) .
Look at all my players with experience and tell them they need to truly help out.
We never wore down Edey. The zone was great, but I agree Shey, we can literally throw 5 players 6'10 taller against any team in the NCAA. That's 25 fouls. One out of 5 can shoot on the perimeter. My concern with today's game was the utilization of players, driving to the basket and trying to play modern - day bball. Purdue played an old - school 90's game with 2 or 3 shooters.

We took too long to adjust. I'm still proud of Jon. Learning Experience.

We never wore down Edey. The zone was great, but I agree Shey, we can literally throw 5 players 6'10 taller against any team in the NCAA. That's 25 fouls. One out of 5 can shoot on the perimeter. My concern with today's game was the utilization of players, driving to the basket and trying to play modern - day bball. Purdue played an old - school 90's game with 2 or 3 shooters.

I think the Zone was effective due to being able to have two people effectively guard him . The other thing is Lively was really effective until his fouls . You use the other bigs to simply allow Flip to play his game and have Lively stay out of foul trouble .

Reactions: jamsession3
Considering Lively gives us no offense right now, I would have let Reeves get some PT. But I would have made it clear that Edey should never be permitted to turn to his left to shoot his little hook. Make him go the other way every single time.

But like Sky said, with me coaching Duke loses by 50. Scheyer is smarter, taller, thinner, younger and better looking than I am. Other than that, he's got nothing on me.

Should have went zone or any other defensive concept in the first half. I was calling it for it immediately when you could see what was continuing to happen. There is no reason it should of taken until the 15 min mark of the second half to make that kind of change.

Second when Lively, Ryan and Flip all got two fouls Reaves should have been brought in the first half to give a few minutes and massage the foul situation….it was a mistake to let them all get two going into the half and could of been massaged into the half….

Third…stop bringing in substitutions that leaves us with combinations of zero shooters on the floor….you can’t bring in Blakes, Mitchell, Ryan and Lively all together or Whitehead and leave Roach as the sole shooter. You are putting four non playmaking non shooting players in all at the same time….he continually keeps doing it.

You have to find a way to keep three shooters on the floor….Flip, Roach, Grandison, Proctor, Schutt. You have to find a way to work on those combinations with the others….you can massage it for some time but can’t continually keep running out one with four non factors.

Lastly you have to have a shooter….we are going to struggle a ton if we can’t find one. You can’t win in the NCAA without a shooter or two….we better find something or it’s going to be a long season.

This is the worst Duke offense I’ve seen maybe ever…..it’s beyond piss poor. We can barely get to 60 pts.

Reactions: KDSTONE
Lastly you have to have a shooter….we are going to struggle a ton if we can’t find one. You can’t win in the NCAA without a shooter or two….we better find something or it’s going to be a long season.

This is the worst Duke offense I’ve seen maybe ever…..it’s beyond piss poor. We can barely get to 60 pts.
You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink. How many open shots were blanks? From Roach, Flip, Proctor and Whitehead? Don’t think Grandison even attempted one . It’s not just three’s . Other players need to score as well. So Duke gets one straight shooter. The other teams will just cover him and let Flip try to beat them . Duke held none of Purdue’s scorers below their average . Need to figure out an offensive game plan .

You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink. How many open shots were blanks? From Roach, Flip, Proctor and Whitehead? Don’t think Grandison even attempted one . It’s not just three’s . Other players need to score as well. So Duke gets one straight shooter. The other teams will just cover him and let Flip try to beat them . Duke held none of Purdue’s scorers below their average . Need to figure out an offensive game plan .
Agree…an offensive identity would be nice. Feels like we haven’t had one since Scheyers team won it all in 2010. That was amazing offensive execution to create things for Scheyer, Smith and Singlar…..We’ve become mainly iso heavy with one and done.

Purdue showed today what you can do and Gonzaga often runs elite offense. We need a system (plan) and these guys need to create for each other via movement because nobody is going to break you down individually. It needs to be a team identity….

You would think Scheyer of all people would get that and create it given he experienced it.

We were outmanned today. They have a bunch of guys that can shoot and pass the ball. We have two
Hope Sheyer gets tired of athletic guys that can’t shoot cus it sure aint fun to watch If Mitchell takes another 3 the rest of the year it will be too soon for me

No one is dogging Scheyer. You could see his frustration with the team on the side line . Not getting back, not holding onto the ball, not rotating over to help. This team is way better then what we saw n the second half but each player has to help.
I agree with Reeves should have been in to help with the fouls on Lively and Flip. Some people take criticism of Duke to much over the edge . It’s not just fans that ask some of the same questions. Even Greenberg was asking,” what is this Duke teams offensive identity ? Who’s going to make shots outside of Roach and Flip?” It’s a long season but others on this team need to help out constantly to even out the defense by the opposing team.

Purdue fan here: This was the first time I've seen your team this year. First, good game! Your guys played well, and I didn't see any of the 'thug' stuff that West Virginia pulled. They seemed like good guys, which is what I've have always seen Duke put on the court.
I was surprised your players didn't shoot better, as I had expected that #1 recruiting class to have had some real shooters in it. It seems the sports writers, who make those rankings, have fallen in love with kids that drive and shoot layups. It may also have been an off night for your guys. I would not read too much into the results as the season is very young yet, and there is lots of basketball to play.

:cool:

Congrats to Purdue. Maybe this is the year you get over the hump and get to the Final Four. If Edey went to Duke, he would have left 2 years ago!

Reactions: sheyduke
Well we certainly made them look like 84 Georgetown. Purdue rolled Gonzaga too, but the Zags are looking like an 8 seed this year. We look like a 4 seed right now, but that could change if Whitehead is RJ Barrett like when he is 100 percent.

Last edited:
Rather than run a traditional double from the weak side, I would have decided if there was any player out there in a Purdue uniform that i was willing to live and die with them shooting open threes and I would have doubled on the post with that guy every time. If there was no Purdue player like that, I would have stayed at home on the other 4 and see if big man had the energy and stamina to score every time down. I would have pushed him as far off the block as possible and then taken away his left shoulder, if he got 60 that way and single handedly beat me, I live with it. He is very unselfish by nature so.....making him shoot every time instead of allowing him to distribute may have thrown him off....maybe? Offfensively I would have made him guard Flip at the 5 to see if I could get his legs by making him defend the pop game of a shooter and a guy who can go by you off the bounce.
Bottom line is they are way ahead of us but.....we aren't close to our ceiling yet. Lets get together in March and see where things stand then, I still really like this team overall and the general vibe.

Well we certainly made them look like 84 Georgetown. Purdue rolled Gonzaga too, but the Zags are looking like an 8 seed this year. We look like a 4 seed right now, but that could change if Whitehead is RJ Barrett like when he is 100 percent.
I appreciate the glass half full approach, but that may be the first and last time on this board Whitehead is compared to RJ. Hope I’m wrong

Reactions: christophero
We will see on players after The Ohio st. Game . I think or rather hope Scheyer gets on all the players about the lack of physicality they show. Duke has players but we need shooters to hit shots

The Ohio State game is a big game for us.
How so ? This I’m interested in and not coming for you but it’s simply another game that’s it. Don’t really think Duke fixes the shooting problem on two days after a flight home .
They are ranked I get that but this teams youth shows up in its loses so how will this one be any different then say the Purdue or Kansas game ?

Good Lord Shey what is your obsession with quoting me and saying the opposite? Fine it's not a big game. It means nothing. Let's drop to 6-3 by all means.

Good Lord Shey what is your obsession with quoting me and saying the opposite? Fine it's not a big game. It means nothing. Let's drop to 6-3 by all means.
I meant nothing buy it. It’s simply what you posted and wanted to see your opinion as to why it’s important. That’s all. To be honest I see us dropping to 6-3 should others not step up . It’s way to easy to prepare for Duke at this stage of the season. And I didn’t want to mix your wording up on your post

To be honest and I’m guilty as well. We are forget these are young man . The flip or other side of that, is there is a reason their NIL pay is so high and that’s due to high school rankings as well. I hope I’m wrong about Ohio St. and very much probably so am . However, what needs to be fixed is just not one player or one piece at this junction of the season. It’s the offensive game plan as a whole .

I think we have gotten spoiled with our freshman as well. Our guys last year were grown men. Oakafor, Winslow, Tatum, Carter, Bagley, Carey, Stanley as well.

Reactions: sheyduke
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT