ADVERTISEMENT

If you were coaching vs Purdue, what would you have done differently?

Probably not unless we get more injuries. I said a few weeks ago our team seemed to be at the level of the Parker team. Not in terms of defense but in terms of talent level. That wasn't an insult that team was good but didn't have a quality big man. Other than Young we don't have a lot of beef up front. Even Reeves is skinny; he's just not as skinny as Lively.

Probably not unless we get more injuries. I said a few weeks ago our team seemed to be at the level of the Parker team. Not in terms of defense but in terms of talent level. That wasn't an insult that team was good but didn't have a quality big man. Other than Young we don't have a lot of beef up front. Even Reeves is skinny; he's just not as skinny as Lively.
No but the two of them equal a big lol.

Least we’re not like UNC,” It’s going to take time be patient !” They only replaced one starter and replaced him with a grad transfer

Reactions: christophero
No one is dogging Scheyer. You could see his frustration with the team on the side line . Not getting back, not holding onto the ball, not rotating over to help. This team is way better then what we saw n the second half but each player has to help.
I agree with Reeves should have been in to help with the fouls on Lively and Flip. Some people take criticism of Duke to much over the edge . It’s not just fans that ask some of the same questions. Even Greenberg was asking,” what is this Duke teams offensive identity ? Who’s going to make shots outside of Roach and Flip?” It’s a long season but others on this team need to help out constantly to even out the defense by the opposing team.
I get it. I'm all for discussing the team, but to make a thread eight games in asking the board how you would've coached the team differently is a bit ridiculous. Scheyer has forgotten more about basketball than everyone on this board knows combined. You didn't create the thread, but how people act is a bit overdramatic. It was a bad game. We have no offensive identity right now, that's for sure. But this group has many positives, and the potential is there. I trust that the coaching staff can figure it out.

I get it. I'm all for discussing the team, but to make a thread eight games in asking the board how you would've coached the team differently is a bit ridiculous. Scheyer has forgotten more about basketball than everyone on this board knows combined. You didn't create the thread, but how people act is a bit overdramatic. It was a bad game. We have no offensive identity right now, that's for sure. But this group has many positives, and the potential is there. I trust that the coaching staff can figure it out.
So you can’t ask a simple question any more to create a topic of discussion ? I didn’t even see it as a slight at the staff or Scheyer . I see it more as an actual question to see if what is said would have helped or it’s one of those,” they tried that and it wasn’t working !” Moments. Let’s not start acting like some other posters who don’t want to hear anything but praise 24/7 on a message board full of fans . If that’s what we all need to do everyone simply hit the like button .
We’re all also crazy to think Scheyer wasn’t the first to grab his iPad and watch the game to see what he could have changed or done differently. Its going to be a learning experience all season .

Reactions: Devilinside
Other than the talent of the players, what are the "many Positives" you have seen so far this year? I am still waiting for the many POTENTIAL positives to show up. OFC

So you can’t ask a simple question any more to create a topic of discussion ? I didn’t even see it as a slight at the staff or Scheyer . I see it more as an actual question to see if what is said would have helped or it’s one of those,” they tried that and it wasn’t working !” Moments. Let’s not start acting like some other posters who don’t want to hear anything but praise 24/7 on a message board full of fans . If that’s what we all need to do everyone simply hit the like button .
We’re all also crazy to think Scheyer wasn’t the first to grab his iPad and watch the game to see what he could have changed or done differently. Its going to be a learning experience all season .
I agree. It seemed a clever way to head off all the venting and whining at the pass by asking what would you have done differently? so it gave the post game autopsy a little more focus and discussion of actual strategy than “ well player a sucks, player b is still getting his legs under him, etc”

Reactions: sheyduke
Other than the talent of the players, what are the "many Positives" you have seen so far this year? I am still waiting for the many POTENTIAL positives to show up. OFC
The defense, rebounding, depth of the team, Roach, Flip, and Ryan Young being better than expected, Mitchell showing flashes of Winslow minus a jump shot, Blakes making a HUGE leap between his first and second years, Proctor starting to find a groove, and I think the overall no quit attitude this team exhibits to name a few things that are POSITIVES.

Yeah, questions can be asked. I'm not policing the board. People can type whatever they want to. As can I; I didn't think the thread was needed eight games into Jon's first damn year as the coach of the most high-profile college basketball job out there. Seems a bit too early for that, in my opinion.

Yeah, questions can be asked. I'm not policing the board. People can type whatever they want to. As can I; I didn't think the thread was needed eight games into Jon's first damn year as the coach of the most high-profile college basketball job out there. Seems a bit too early for that, in my opinion.
Calm down ! It’s wasn’t a question in regard to his coaching ability or anything about Scheyer . It was a question that’s being looked way into . I could have seen if he directed it aiming at the loss and Scheyers coaching . He didn’t he asked what would you have done different . Yes we get it’s Scheyers eighth game as head coach. it’s also coming off one of the worst offensive performances in Duke history followed by the second biggest loss on a neutral court in program history .

Calm down ! It’s wasn’t a question in regard to his coaching ability or anything about Scheyer . It was a question that’s being looked way into . I could have seen if he directed it aiming at the loss and Scheyers coaching . He didn’t he asked what would you have done different . Yes we get it’s Scheyers eighth game as head coach. it’s also coming off one of the worst offensive performances in Duke history followed by the second biggest loss on a neutral court in program history .
I'm calm. I get it. I just think people are overreacting a bit. Whitehead is going to be a problem, and soon, for everyone we play. Guys are learning their roles. Jon is figuring it out too. I never said people couldn't be critical, but the thread was ridiculous for this early in the year.

I'm calm. I get it. I just think people are overreacting a bit. Whitehead is going to be a problem, and soon, for everyone we play. Guys are learning their roles. Jon is figuring it out too. I never said people couldn't be critical, but the thread was ridiculous for this early in the year.
I get that but it’s actually funny in a way . What else is there being talked about other then the same players at this point of the season? Whitehead just needs to figure out what he wants to do . Mostly is trusting his foot . To me lively will be fine he just needs more lobs thrown to him . Flip will be ok but now the rest Proctor included need to help Flip and Roach and Young to an extent out.

STOP PLAYING MITCHELL AT THE 3 POSITION.
Simple fix: we need more shooting. Move Mitchell to the 4 and let Flip play the 5. Or bench Mitchell and let Whitehead get more burn at the 3.
We are way too easy to guard with Mitchell at the 3. This is an elementary level fix and I’m stunned Jon keeps rolling out Mitchell (love his game, but he isn’t a shooter) at the 3.

You can throw all the bigs at them you want and I guarantee you not 1 of them knows how to foul. 25 fouls to give would turn into at least 20 AND 1s lol. Nobody really does it and I have no idea why….UVA against UNC with Badcock last year had 25 fouls to give but just let him destroy them.

I heard that Reeves is maybe redshirting? The reason we see him for short bursts is because I think you can still play a certain percentage and still redshirt. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I heard that Reeves is maybe redshirting? The reason we see him for short bursts is because I think you can still play a certain percentage and still redshirt. Correct me if I'm wrong.
It was already announced he wasn’t redshirting this season. I think it’s like 20 percent of all games he can only play in to red shirt but the staff already told him he wasn’t

Reactions: tcoyle34
It was already announced he wasn’t redshirting this season. I think it’s like 20 percent of all games he can only play in to red shirt but the staff already told him he wasn’t
Ah, okay, thanks for the clarification. I was a bit perplexed to not see Reeves more in the Purdue game. He was in at the very end of the first half and played good defense and got a rebound in the 30 seconds he was in or so. He also impressed me in the blue/white game.

The defense, rebounding, depth of the team, Roach, Flip, and Ryan Young being better than expected, Mitchell showing flashes of Winslow minus a jump shot, Blakes making a HUGE leap between his first and second years, Proctor starting to find a groove, and I think the overall no quit attitude this team exhibits to name a few things that are POSITIVES.

I agree on Flip and Young. Defense has been OK against good teams. What happened to us after we cut the lead to 6 against Purdue and then got blown out? Why were we badly outrebounded? Were we gassed? Roach is a positive because he is the best we have at PG. But he is not consistently showing up when really needed, and he is not as yet better than expected. Mitchell's showing flashes does not outweigh his below average play. Blakes's "huge leap" only means that he has improved on defense and ball-handling. But I guess getting better at something is a positive when compared to not improving at all. As things stand now, opponents really don't need to guard him closely. Proctor had a really good game against Purdue (16 points), and I hope that continues tonight. However, he had only 5 points against Oregon State and 0 against Xavier. He is shooting only 30.6% from the field and 15.6% from 3. He will need a good game against Ohio State in order to start a trend of good play. I notice that you did not mention Whitehead and Lively as "positives". Performance-wise so far, you are right; but talent-wise, they are potentially huge positives. I am really looking forward to this game. We have had 2 days of rest and some valuable experience.

OFC

Last edited:
I agree on Flip and Young. Defense has been OK against good teams. What happened to us after we cut the lead to 6 against Purdue and then got blown out? Were we gassed? Roach is a positive because he is the best we have at PG. He is not consistently showing up when really needed, and he is not as yet better than expected. Mitchell's showing flashes does not outweigh his below average play. Blakes's "huge leap" only means that he has improved on defense and ball-handling. But I guess getting better at something is a positive when compared to not improving at all. As things stand now, opponents really don't need to guard him closely. Proctor had a really good game against Purdue (16 points), and I hope that continues tonight. However, he had only 5 points against Oregon State and 0 against Xavier. He is shooting only 30.6% from the field and 15.6% from 3. He will need a good game against Ohio State in order to start a trend of good play. I notice that you did not mention Whitehead and Lively as "positives". Performance-wise so far, you are right; but talent-wise, they are potetially huge positives. I am really looking forward to this game. We have had 2 days of rest and some valuable experience.

OFC
Proctor's defense has gotten better as the year has gone on and he facilitates well too. There are more than just point totals at the end of a game. Blakes is significantly better than last year. He can drive to the basket now, and his willingness to take shots wasn't there before. Has a nice first step that will only get better. His defense is damn good too. Roach is a leader. Way more vocal than last year, and he's come up huge in moments. Sure, he's forced the issue too much at times. But overall, I have loved his play. Mitchell has a ton of upside and is at his best when he plays bully ball. I love his toughness, but I don't like him taking 3s.

I do think Lively and Whitehead are going to figure it out. Whitehead will make some believers out of a ton of fans, and soon. Lively isn't an offensive juggernaut, but his defense, rebounding, and size will be invaluable assets for this team once he is more comfortable out there. I think there will be a ton of fans eating crow on this team come tourney time. Hey, maybe I am too optimistic. Young and Flip have both exceeded expectations. I hope Grandison figures out his role on this team; we will need him. I do agree with those who have said, Schutt and Reeves should get a little more burn. At this point, I don't see why not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT