ADVERTISEMENT

Grayson's Shooting Woes

ChapelTower

Recruit
May 27, 2014
I wonder if Grayson's shooting woes is due to a lack of discipline (while rushing his shot).

I noticed that he often gets into his shot w/o being fully set with shoulders squared. Even the three he made in the game against WF last night (off a screen, slightly to the left of the top of key, early in the game) was with him jumping and landing sideways to the left.

Great as he is as a shooter, he still needs to be more disciplined like JJ.

When Grayson shot great (e.g. Georgetown game in his Sophomore year, and MSU game this year), he elevated straight up. And it felt like he would just keep rising and rising -- it was a beautiful sight and you just knew the shot would go in.

He also seems to prefer cutting cross the lane going from right to left. This would be more difficult for a right handed shooter than crossing the lane going the other direction.

Really hope GA regains his form. He has given Duke everything (the 15 ring to say the least). More than anything else, would love to see him do well -- leading us to another ring and shooting his way to the high first round.

Against UVA's packline, I hope he would be disciplined with his fundamentals -- take the extra tenth or two to square up.

I wonder if Grayson's shooting woes is due to a lack of discipline (while rushing his shot).

I noticed that he often gets into his shot w/o being fully set with shoulders squared. Even the three he made in the game against WF last night (off a screen, slightly to the left of the top of key, early in the game) was with him jumping and landing sideways to the left.

Great as he is as a shooter, he still needs to be more disciplined like JJ.

When Grayson shot great (e.g. Georgetown game in his Sophomore year, and MSU game this year), he elevated straight up. And it felt like he would just keep rising and rising -- it was a beautiful sight and you just knew the shot would go in.

He also seems to prefer cutting cross the lane going from right to left. This would be more difficult for a right handed shooter than crossing the lane going the other direction.

Really hope GA regains his form. He has given Duke everything (the 15 ring to say the least). More than anything else, would love to see him do well -- leading us to another ring and shooting his way to the high first round.

Against UVA's packline, I hope he would be disciplined with his fundamentals -- take the extra tenth or two to square up.
I think this is a pretty good observation. On a few of the ones he missed yesterday he didn’t seem to be quite set. He did make a few off the move but was still able to go straight up. For a right handed shooter as you mentioned it’s much easier coming from right to left and square. Watching old shooting compilations of JJ always helped me. He got his shoulders squared up no matter where he was coming from. Grayson is a shooter and he’ll break out. He saw a few go in yesterday and i think that will only get him going.

To be fair he is being asked to do a lot more than score this year so that could play a part as well.

I read somewhere that they watched Grayson in practice and he was making 8-10 in a row. Which means it's either mental, or he's getting too wound up during the game, or, like the OP said, he hurries it too much during the game. The one from the top of the key wasn't his usual good form and I was concerned that it would cause him to get into bad habits thinking it would go in anyhow.
What I can't figure out is how Grayson was such a dead eye shooter his sophomore year when so much more pressure was on him (Duke only had 2 scorers that year), and not now, after 2 more years of great coaching. I guess I'd need a psychology degree to figure that one out.

I think this is a pretty good observation. On a few of the ones he missed yesterday he didn’t seem to be quite set. He did make a few off the move but was still able to go straight up. For a right handed shooter as you mentioned it’s much easier coming from right to left and square. Watching old shooting compilations of JJ always helped me. He got his shoulders squared up no matter where he was coming from. Grayson is a shooter and he’ll break out. He saw a few go in yesterday and i think that will only get him going.

To be fair he is being asked to do a lot more than score this year so that could play a part as well.

That's true -- he distributes the ball really well, very steady.

Not sure if he has a chance to develop into a combo guard in NBA (a JJ like shooter, with better ability to attack the rim and also good enough as a backup PG). If he also improves his defense as JJ did in the league, I think GA can have a great future (hopefully like another Booker).

I read somewhere that they watched Grayson in practice and he was making 8-10 in a row. Which means it's either mental, or he's getting too wound up during the game, or, like the OP said, he hurries it too much during the game. The one from the top of the key wasn't his usual good form and I was concerned that it would cause him to get into bad habits thinking it would go in anyhow.
What I can't figure out is how Grayson was such a dead eye shooter his sophomore year when so much more pressure was on him (Duke only had 2 scorers that year), and not now, after 2 more years of great coaching. I guess I'd need a psychology degree to figure that one out.
Honestly making 8-10 in a row at practice is nothing for guys like him.

I agree there is some mental aspect at play, he’s a shooter. I think he saw a few go down yesterday and that will help. It’s only a matter of time. Just tweak/sharpen the fundamentals and he will be right back to where we know he can be.

That was my reasoning -- he was more mentally disciplined in his earlier years.

By now, he and the rest of world know he is a great shooter and so he may be a bit relaxed with the fundamentals. I see the same thing with Curry -- sometimes too casual with the form.

Grayson will deliver, I promise you. A lot of those shots are centimeters off from going in. He is close and I am telling you now Coach K is telling, keep shooting. Once he gets rolling and with the way Trent has been shooting it's going to be something to behold.

But I cannot quite figure out why Trevon does not finish well at the rim. He can certainly get there.

Is it merely a lack of focus? Can keeping the eye on the rim, once he has decided not to pass, the only adjustment needed?

There's been nothing wrong with Grayson except for him carrying the leader title. As the young guys have gotten a little more comfortable with Duke and the team aspect, his shot has gotten better. I don't think it's a mechanics issue at all. We have no idea probably how tough it has been for him to get 4 young studs to learn Duke team defense, yes we do, we've been watching them play.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I think he'll get it figured out. Something he added to his arsenal this year more of is that pump fake and side step. The issue is that usually puts him into not always being set. I think that has rubbed off on him some to where he is not always getting set.

Funny, the 2 I thought of when I wrote that was King Tut and Justin Bieber!

Ever heard of a guy named Lebron James?
You're comparing an apple to an orange. Grayson is white, good, plays for Duke, and made a few boneheaded mistakes. He was fouled in a way last Saturday against Pitt on that breakaway that could have caused him serious injury. Had that been him committing the foul, everyone from the ladies on The View to Jimmy Kimmel would have been talking about it.

Has a 22 year old young man ever been more examined, analyzed and dissected?
Ever heard of a guy named Lebron James?
You're comparing an apple to an orange. Grayson is white, good, plays for Duke, and made a few boneheaded mistakes. He was fouled in a way last Saturday against Pitt on that breakaway that could have caused him serious injury. Had that been him committing the foul, everyone from the ladies on The View to Jimmy Kimmel would have been talking about it.
I was providing the best possible answer to a very general question.

Last edited:
Grayson will be just fine. He’s learning how to be a leader. He’s distributing the ball fantsstically. The truth is, on this team, there’s no reason Allen should be scoring 24 a night. We know he’s capable of it. But, as guys like Trent and Carter get more solidified in their roles, he’s become a more well-rounded player.

Has a 22 year old young man ever been more examined, analyzed and dissected?

Never. I'm glad you posted this. You know he made some really reaction mistakes with those tripping incidents and has tried so hard to be responsible for them. I don't think although he still plays hard and is aggressive that he is sometimes too careful and doesn't go to the basket like he did as a soph. He will hit the floor going after a ball just as good as Wojo and Singler did but I just feel some of the edge he once had is not there. Here's what I hope happens as his Duke career comes to an end is he just says screw it. I'm gonna finish like Grayson Allen should and stickup his critics rear end. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT