ADVERTISEMENT

Grayson's emergence....

OT......sportswriter in Charlotte Observer says his first team all acc is:
Bagley
Maye
Robinson
Battle
And.................berry?? What kind of crack is this dude smoking?
He has carter 2nd team. No Grayson.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Bagley
Maye
Robinson
Battle

That sounds about right that Grayson isn’t on either team. I think Gary Trent should definitely be on 2nd team. But Grayson has had (what?) 4 good games in conference play. He’s not all conference material this year. Past years and reputation shouldn’t get you on the team. It’s what you do throughout the year that should get you on there. Grayson has been our 4th best player this year. In conference play he and Duval have battled for 4th best. Just keeping it real

Reactions: Swervin_Irvin_Duke
That sounds about right that Grayson isn’t on either team. I think Gary Trent should definitely be on 2nd team. But Grayson has had (what?) 4 good games in conference play. He’s not all conference material this year. Past years and reputation shouldn’t get you on the team. It’s what you do throughout the year that should get you on there. Grayson has been our 4th best player this year. In conference play he and Duval have battled for 4th best. Just keeping it real
Not arguing that Grayson should be there, but come on, Berry 1st team?? Nahhhh

Well you're not right with much of what you said. The only thing, and I mean only thing Allen hasn't done well as a whole this year is score. Without his overall play this year, we aren't in 2nd place in acc, we would be middle of the pack at best.
I agree he shouldn't be 1st team. Trent shouldn't be 2nd team. Maybe all freshmen team. Berry should be 1st team. Without him, the Holes are bottom feeders in the conference.

Reactions: jcdevilfan
The only thing, and I mean only thing Allen hasn't done well as a whole this year is score. Without his overall play this year, we aren't in 2nd place in acc, we would be middle of the pack at best.
I agree he shouldn't be 1st team. Trent shouldn't be 2nd team. Maybe all freshmen team. Berry should be 1st team. Without him, the Holes are bottom feeders in the conference.

There's really no way to quantify that with Grayson, though. I mean, yes, one thing he's never lacked is effort....I give him credit there. But he played poorly for a stretch. He'd be the first to admit that. I still think there's a chance he winds up on one of the All-ACC teams, though. Fair or not, he's Grayson Allen....and like with Joel Berry, it's going to get him some votes.

As for Gary, he's certainly deserving of, at minimum, being mentioned for the second-team. I'm not sure what more you want him to do besides becoming a more well rounded defender.....but let's be honest, which of our guys have shown that intangible consistently all season? Besides, in ACC play alone he has the highest offensive rating of any player (and is third in the country), is shooting 46% from three (good for second in conference), leads the league with over three and a half made three's per game and shoots 87% at the free throw line. And while his season average of three-point shooting is 46%, in league play it's over 50%.

If you think this team would be middle-of-the-pack without Grayson, where do you see them being without Gary? He's been the only consistent backcourt player for much of conference play.

There's really no way to quantify that with Grayson, though. I mean, yes, one thing he's never lacked is effort....I give him credit there. But he played poorly for a stretch. He'd be the first to admit that. I still think there's a chance he winds up on one of the All-ACC teams, though. Fair or not, he's Grayson Allen....and like with Joel Berry, it's going to get him some votes.

As for Gary, he's certainly deserving of, at minimum, being mentioned for the second-team. I'm not sure what more you want him to do besides becoming a more well rounded defender.....but let's be honest, which of our guys have shown that intangible consistently all season? Besides, in ACC play alone he has the highest offensive rating of any player (and is third in the country), is shooting 46% from three (good for second in conference), leads the league with over three and a half made three's per game and shoots 87% at the free throw line. And while his season average of three-point shooting is 46%, in league play it's over 50%.

If you think this team would be middle-of-the-pack without Grayson, where do you see them being without Gary? He's been the only consistent backcourt player for much of conference play.
Nothing against Gary, he's a good shooter, but he has the easiest job of the starters. Very seldom does he have to handle the ball, just hit an open shot on offense when available. I'm not knocking him, it's just what I see.
Grayson hasn't been offensively what we wanted him to be for much of the season, but Trent has an easy role with this team. The focus has been on Allen and our bigs. Pretty good situation for Gary.

Nothing against Gary, he's a good shooter, but he has the easiest job of the starters. Very seldom does he have to handle the ball, just hit an open shot on offense when available. I'm not knocking him, it's just what I see.
Grayson hasn't been offensively what we wanted him to be for much of the season, but Trent has an easy role with this team. The focus has been on Allen and our bigs. Pretty good situation for Gary.

I would probably agree his role is the 'easiest'....that doesn't make it easy, though. He's been one of the most efficient offensive players in the country. Seldom would you hear someone say "he has an easy role with this team" when that's the case. I think that's being a tad simplistic.

I'm sorry, but why do we care what one writer says in mid February? Can we renew this conversation in 3 weeks? If Grayson continues to revert to his norm, then no way can he be kept off 1st or 2nd team.

And I love what Trent has done this year. I'm a big fan of his maturity. Whether he makes All ACC or not, he's going to be a rich young man next year.

Reactions: PixelDevil
Well you're not right with much of what you said. The only thing, and I mean only thing Allen hasn't done well as a whole this year is score. Without his overall play this year, we aren't in 2nd place in acc, we would be middle of the pack at best.

You really love Grayson huh? Just go look at the games we lost and look at Grayson stats. He has had 2 good conference games against formidable teams and 4 bad games. He’s not All-ACC material this year. I know that may make you sad but it’s reality. If he played up to his ability we would be 1st in the ACC

I'm sorry, but why do we care what one writer says in mid February? Can we renew this conversation in 3 weeks? If Grayson continues to revert to his norm, then no way can he be kept off 1st or 2nd team.

Nice post Liftee! OFC

You really love Grayson huh? Just go look at the games we lost and look at Grayson stats. He has had 2 good conference games against formidable teams and 4 bad games. He’s not All-ACC material this year. I know that may make you sad but it’s reality. If he played up to his ability we would be 1st in the ACC
I've said his scoring was not good and most any Duke fan will admit that. You're being shortsighted and only looking at that part of his game.
There's a whole bunch of ifs we could use on this team in losing 5 games, but to lay it all on Grayson is ridiculous.

I would probably agree his role is the 'easiest'....that doesn't make it easy, though. He's been one of the most efficient offensive players in the country. Seldom would you hear someone say "he has an easy role with this team" when that's the case. I think that's being a tad simplistic.
Of the 5 starters, who has the easiest assignment? If we don't rebound, it's blamed on the bigs, if we have turnovers, it's probably blamed on Duval or Allen. Never said it's easy on Trent, but compared to the others, yes it is.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I've said his scoring was not good and most any Duke fan will admit that. You're being shortsighted and only looking at that part of his game.
There's a whole bunch of ifs we could use on this team in losing 5 games, but to lay it all on Grayson is ridiculous.

We need him to score more than anything else. Being a leader and scoring is his role on this team. Majority of conference play he did a poor job at both. He’s finally doing better but in the beginning he didn’t effect the game much at all. I give him that one game he had like 8 assists though. If he gave us that a lot then that would be good too

Of the 5 starters, who has the easiest assignment? If we don't rebound, it's blamed on the bigs, if we have turnovers, it's probably blamed on Duval or Allen. Never said it's easy on Trent, but compared to the others, yes it is.

I think I acknowledged that Gary probably had the ‘easiest’ assignment of the starters. And thank god he’s made the most of it or we’d really be in trouble. For the better part of conference play he’s been our only shooter.

But yes, you did, in fact, say Gary has an easy role. It’s in this thread. You said it above and I quoted it, too, in a separate post.

And I love what Trent has done this year. I'm a big fan of his maturity. Whether he makes All ACC or not, he's going to be a rich young man next year.

So do you prefer we speculate on nothing going forward....including future games, the tournament, potential seeding, etc.?

We need him to score more than anything else. Being a leader and scoring is his role on this team. Majority of conference play he did a poor job at both. He’s finally doing better but in the beginning he didn’t effect the game much at all. I give him that one game he had like 8 assists though. If he gave us that a lot then that would be good too
You are forgetting he is playing with four freshmen in which none are good passers to set players up for easy shots. A lot of our games it's two passes and a shot. I think this is why Coach has put the ball in Grayson hands more.

You are forgetting he is playing with four freshmen in which none are good passers to set players up for easy shots. A lot of our games it's two passes and a shot. I think this is why Coach has put the ball in Grayson hands more.

The offense was working perfectly fine though. He was passing up a lot of shots. It’s like he was scared to shoot. Another thing that stop him is he looks much slower this year. He can’t turn the corner on anybody. Coach put the ball in his hands because he wanted to take some of the burden off Duval. Duval can now attack off those side pick and rolls.

I have to agree with dachampishere that Grayson hasn't had an all conference season. I always thought you looked at the numbers when choosing this award. I don't think that look at who has the easiest role on each team and then eliminate that player for that reason. Grayson is my favorite player on the team, but he definitely is not first team ACC.

If Grayson plays the next 4 conference game like he has the last 3 then he’ll be All-Conference in some aspect. End of story.

Amen Baller.....I think too something VERY POSITIVE is to be said as well for his leadership this season. Although surrounded by talent, they are all still freshman starters (til Bagley injury), and hes distributed ball extremely well. Hes still helped lead this team to a very high seed for the NCAAs and sole possession currently of 2nd place in ACC. Add the leadership, his passing and ball handling to the current tear he's on and he's making a push up the ladder for ACC honors...

OFC

Bagley
Maye
Robinson
Battle
Berry is averaging 18 pts, 4 boards, and shooting 90% from the FT line while leading the hottest team in the league (stretch maybe) at the moment. I believe he is averaging 23 pts on the road as well

Bagley and Carter should be on the 1st team IMO, what Carter has done these past 3 games without Bagley is even more remarkable than what Grayson has done.
Trent JR is a 2nd-teamer, he is leading the ACC in 3's made and 3 point %, I'm willing to bet that hasn't happened since JJ Redick. If you don't believe Trent JR is a 2nd-teamer, than your'e just a Trent JR hater and should re-evaluate your Duke fandom.

Grayson currently isn't on a team, but if he continues this trajectory, he will be a 3rd or maybe even 2nd-teamer.

Reactions: dukesince91
@dachampishere2 summed it up well. Grayson hasn’t played at an All-ACC level...yet. He had been extremely passive and inefficient and it cost us some ball games. He’s now kicked it back in and if this team is going to achieve anything other than being yet another 2 knocked out by a 15, Grayson has to be damn good on offense.

The team has improved defensively, yes, but will that be consistent? Is that a product of Marvin being out or just in spite of that? The offense obviously is 15-20 points better with Marvin there, but the defense has improved since his absence as well. I personally think it’s just a matter of guys kicking in because they’re down their best player.

But bottom line, Grayson is vital to this team’s success, maybe even more so than Trevon playing like a proficient point guard.

No one has said Grayson should be first team, and unfortunately, he isn't second team either. Here's the slippery part. Some think Trent is second team. Trent is a solid role player. He brings a good value to this team. He benefits because the attention is on the others. Trent is in an ideal situation. Not being critical, it is the truth. He is a good shooter. Everyone raves more about him cause the nba throws monopoly money at these kids.
The best of the freshmen is Carter. His size and strength down low are what Duke hasn't had in years.

Oh ok. He is a question mark but he has been scoring a lot thus conference season. Who would you replace him with?
Berry is averaging 18 pts, 4 boards, and shooting 90% from the FT line while leading the hottest team in the league (stretch maybe) at the moment. I believe he is averaging 23 pts on the road as well
cool.....hottest team in the league? When did he transfer to uva?

[QUOTE="Mac9192, post: 11245519, member: 3225
The best of the freshmen is Carter. His size and strength down low are what Duke hasn't had in years.[/QUOTE]

A case could definitely be made for him....

OFC

grayson is currently: 15ppg 3reb 5ast 38%3pt 86%ft.....def good numbers considering all the talent on his team.....to me back of the 2nd Team or tops on he 3rd Team..........i have berry on the 2nd team and kyle guy on the 1st, seems like a uva guy has to be there, but there success has def been a TEAM effort imo.............we'll see

Reactions: hart2chesson
cool.....hottest team in the league? When did he transfer to uva?
Considering UNC has a 5 game win streak, which the 2 games more than any other ACC team then I’d have to agree that they’re the hottest team in the league.

Who cares who is the hottest team currently, I like the streak that Duke is on. I wanna be the hottest team a month from now. We have that in us.

UNC's ceiling is a Sweet 16, not enough talent.
I hope you're right about the Holes. They hopefully are peaking too early. What scares me is they have one of the best point guards in college. I can't stand Berry, but he's a winner and a leader.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I hope you're right about the Holes. They hopefully are peaking too early. What scares me is they have one of the best point guards in college. I can't stand Berry, but he's a winner and a leader.
No denying that Berry is great, would love to have a senior Berry on this Duke team. Roy is also doing a fantastic job this year, getting the most possible out of this limited UNC team.
Similar to K and the 2016 Duke team, once Amile went down, the fact that we beat UNC once, got a 4 seed, and made the Sweet 16 was terrific coaching.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT