ADVERTISEMENT

Good Season Guys - Honest thoughts on K and Brooks

I was at least amused that the OP took numerous not-so-subtle jabs at Duke and K, which DJ pointed out, but was also dumb enough to call himself an "unbiased college basketball fan." I read your original post before anyone had made a single additional comment, and your agenda was already clear.

King David made many mistakes but was still a king that stood above the rest.

K May mistakes and surely isn't perfect, but as show said he's still the king and as good as they come.

I haven't heard enhanced audio confirming exactly what was said, but I didn't think there was anything untoward in the body language or facial expressions, so whatever was said was received well enough by the one person intended to hear it.

I don't begrudge Altmann whatsoever for bristling some. A coach has a right to be not just protective, but even overprotective, too, if that's what you'd call it.

If anyone is allowed to get away with something like this, though... and I'm not saying anyone is... but if anyone is... it's K. Not because he's the GOAT, either. To me it's kind of like the way your grandfather gets away with saying slightly inappropriate things your boss better not say. You might cringe a little, but then you kind of roll your eyes and laugh it off.

As far as lying to the media about it goes, if he was, it was to keep a private criticism private. I think our right to truthful answers is limited to questions with a certain level of integrity/validity, and while I can't blame them for asking, I don't think their right to the truth about a private conversation matters as much as the right to keep it private.

Dattier , don't waste time tracking down the audio everybody is saying proves everything, you can't even tell what's being said its so muffled. You can make out the player saying my bad , my bad. K gave him some friendly advice. He smiled at him and patted him. Pretty soon somebody will say he shoved or struck him before its all done. It's a non issue.

Ok. Here's the thing. There have been several people that said that Brooks, whenever he made a shot next to the Duke bench would turn around and bad mouth the bench. I think it was a culmination of Brooks antics during the entire game. ALSO, have you seen the new angle of the Grayson hug-gate crap? Yeah, he wasn't going up to Grayson to say "Good game". Just look for yourself below. That was an in your face moment so I'm actually impressed Grayson brushed him off. The whole kissing your muscles the entire game crap just rubbed K wrong, as it did to me. Look, K is the leader among coaches in the league. He coaches NBA players to gold medals. Wtf is the big deal of him simply saying, and I quote, "You're too good of a player to act like that". WOW... Omg, front page news!!!! Had the Oregon coach wrangled all that crap in early on, I doubt it would have came to this. But I completely understand a coach from the vaunted school or Oregon hasn't had a lot of experience winning banners. You happy now? No the 3 didn't matter. It was a cumilation of the shenanigans from all the Oregon players. And before you say something like " What if a coach said something about Grayson tripping people?", well, my asnwer would be good. He deserved the lecture. K said as much when asked about it.

Here's the new angle of the video if you are even interested in seeing it, which I doubt since your whole agenda was to troll our board. Rematch next year? Doubt Oregon will be able to hold Duke's jock strap next year. Enjoy the once-in-a-lifetime chance as an Oregon fan to watch your team play in the Elite Eight. Oh whoops, forgot you won in 1940... congrats on that banner.

Ha! I responded to the OP w/o reading the whole thread. This guy really showed his spots quickly.

If K was referring to Brooks' hugging Grayson, I think that puts it in the category of defending his own player, so I'd have even less of an issue with it.

Reactions: vcugreg
He got one line off, you're to good of a player. Hellacious lecture indeed.

Reactions: vcugreg
If anyone can watch those, particularly the "hug" video, and think that there is ANYTHING there to get worked up about, they are idiots.

It's Duke it's Coach K every jack ass that can will ride this in the dirt. I'm listening to some dumb ass radio wannabe running it in the dirt and calling Grayson Allen a punk and the dirtiest player in college. What a loser. CBS radio jockey named John or JJ on for Andy Gresh. He's a bad man calling out Grayson and Coach all the way from Boston. The good thing is Grayson affects his life in a negative way and makes him sick on his stomach. Way to go Grayson. You da man

Last edited:
Reactions: diehardDUKIEnKY
That guy Jon Weiner, or "stugotz", was also saying some stuff about the situation. Media doing its greatest to make mountains out of mole hills

Jimminy Christmas cheese and crackers reason 643,223 why this world we live in continues to drive me bat crap crazy. A) the fact this is even being referred to as a lecture (the word is being used SOLELY for its negative connotations), in the history of the world I'd like to know of either a shorter in time or amount of words used lecture. I'm actually going to ask for anyone on here to please show me a shorter lecture. Cause let's face it everyone on here including OP WISHES they had received "lectures" both this short and this positive. And I use the term positive intentionally, had THE GOAT only said something like "you shouldn't showboat like that" then maybe I can understand folks acting like a 13 year old little girl who got rejected asking for a dance. Instead he paid the young man a compliment for goodness sake and gave him genuine & TRUE advice. Lord Jeebus can yall imagine if K had waited until after the game and went into the ducks locker room and singled him out? They may have very well cancelled Easter. And B) WHY DOES what he said even matter when what he said was TRUE???

The OP started to show his true intent a few posts in....some of the messages he's sent me since his dismissal make me believe he's not a person who is very productive in society.

Let's just say he's not a fan of Duke fans.

Reactions: dbav and Showenuff
Some time down the road this kid will realize it was good advise and will appreciate it. Coach K probably should have let it go but didn't so end of story. He still cares at 69 years old and that's why he is still coaching. Can't wait till next year.

Also was not too impressed with Brooks with his interview after the game.

For the past 2 two days, I've been reading all the articles on the 3 pointer and everyones thoughts on it. Everyone seems to think Brooks hit the 3 and then got lectured from K. Well.....

It looked to me like Brooks hit the 3, turned toward Duke's bench and saluted them (or did the whole 3 fingers to the head crap) in a very exaggerative and excited way. If that was what Brooks was actually doing, it would then make sense for him to apologize in the handshake line when K told him he was too good of a player to do that. Which is exactly what Brooks did. It's been said that the players were jawing back and forth all game. It's also been said that Brooks even said something to the Duke bench after nailing a 3 in the first half of the game. All that jawing is part of the game, I get it. But if he did mean to salute the Duke bench after nailing a 30 ft 3 with seconds left in a decided game, then I absolutely agree with K saying something to him. "Beating my team is fine, but showing them up is not." I honestly believe that if Brooks made the 3 and simply celebrated with his teammates, I doubt K would have said what he said.

With that said, I'm confused on why K denied it in the post game. My only thought is that if he was to explain his actions, he would have to explain Brooks' as well. I doubt he wanted to do that.

But anyway, just my opinion. Haven't seen any articles on Brooks motioning towards Duke's bench after the shot.

you summed up my thoughts....I think he denied it because he didnt expect that question and probably felt that was a moment between he and brooks....what boggles me the most is the adjectives being used to a 4/5 sec chat, like scolded, lectured, berated and etc....if anything he complimented his skillset as he does the star player or the guy who had a big game every handshake line just about and gave him some words of wisdom from a 5-time national champion coach and 41 years experience

Reactions: Dukesince90
I don't have a problem with the kid taking the shot, but saluting the Duke bench afterwards was a little much. Even then it's not really a big deal, imo. Reverse the situation, however, and if Duke had the game won with Grayson shooting the shot and saluting the Oregon bench then this would be story about how Grayson is a huge douche.

Lump me in with those that think K shouldn't have said anything to him. Is it the big deal people are making it out to be? Not even close - but K shouldn't have said anything, imo. Again, reverse it. If Tony Bennett or Rick Pitino had words with Grayson in the handshake line after tripping their players, we'd all probably say it wasn't their place but K's.

I think K's lying about it was more of him just brushing the question off as not important and not a big deal - because it isn't. But I don't think we can say "K was having a personal discussion" with him when they're on national TV, in front of the media table, surrounded by cameras and microphones.

I do wonder if K's comments had more to do with Brooks bear-hugging Grayson immediately after the win. People are saying Brooks was showing good sportsmanship, but it seemed a bit much to me. I mean, your team wins and you immediately bear hug the other teams player? And out of all people, Grayson? Meh, I dunno. Lastly, yeah Grayson didn't hug him but if you watch, you'll see Grayson pat his arm; so he didn't totally snub him.

bear hug while ignoring his OWN teammate standing there trying to get a high five from him...yep, grayson didnt want the embrace nor should he have to, but yep he did pat him and kept it moving...lol......should be a NONSTORY, but, we are Duke, any opening is pounced upon

Apology issued. I'm sure he'll get ripped for that too.

On the national board there are some guys mad because he signed it;

Mike Krzyzewski
Duke Men's Basketball Coach
USA Men's Basketball Coach

And I'm not making that up. It wouldn't matter what K did or said, though....he's a lightning rod, but he's our lightning rod. Plus, maybe the USA thing was just another way to piss off the haters. Sometimes I think K likes to take over the coals. And I wouldn't blame him one bit. If you're already hated you might as well have a little fun with it, right?

Reactions: harttochesson
Oh no he apologized. Now what can we bitch about, his favorite color ?

Even as a UNC fan I don't see this as a big deal. Like I said in our thread, he probably should have let Oregon's coach deal with his own players because that's just how things have always been done. I assumed it was in regards to the 3 point shot, which I saw no problem with, what is he supposed to do there take the shot clock violation?

If it was in regards to saluting and trash talking the bench, then I understand it a little bit more but I still think sometimes K and other more seasoned coaches get in their own ways a little bit and the media will look for any excuse to get at Duke. My dad is a huge Duke fan and so I've watched many Duke games and I think that as he gets older K probably just has less patience for what he perceived as a slight against his team. I don't understand lying about it but it could be that he just didn't think it was a big deal. I still think he probably should have just been open about it because it's not the first time a coach has done that and it won't be the last. It's not a huge deal and he could have just been up front about that.

I'm not a Grayson fan at all, probably one of my least liked players at Duke ever and I have no problem with him not accepting the hug. I think it was disingenuous and at a horrible time. Shake hands in line if you must but no one wants your hug after you've won the game. He's earned much of the criticism directed his way but even when the attempted hug happened I thought Brooks was being a bit of a dick.

It's really not a big deal at all, K did lie about it on national television though. Anytime they can take shots at Duke and promote the hate for us......well, they're going to do it.

Some time down the road this kid will realize it was good advise and will appreciate it. Coach K probably should have let it go but didn't so end of story. He still cares at 69 years old and that's why he is still coaching. Can't wait till next year.

Also was not too impressed with Brooks with his interview after the game.
Not too impressed? How is that possible Brooks said in a followup that both he and K were professional. Really? I thought only one of them was getting paid.

As a Duke alum I've been surprised and disappointed by some recent reactions on this board. There's a strain of moral relativism - around Grayson's tripping, Simmons quitting on his team, Coach K's comments to Brooks and subsequent prevarication - that I simply disagree with. I suspect - and hope - that there are many readers on this site who feel similarly but have chosen not to express their misgivings. For the folks who, in my opinion, are defending the indefensible out of a misplaced loyalty to our basketball team, I can only agree to disagree with you, and hope that your sense of right and wrong is independent of the school you choose to root for.

As a Duke alum I've been surprised and disappointed by some recent reactions on this board. There's a strain of moral relativism - around Grayson's tripping, Simmons quitting on his team, Coach K's comments to Brooks and subsequent prevarication - that I simply disagree with. I suspect - and hope - that there are many readers on this site who feel similarly but have chosen not to express their misgivings. For the folks who, in my opinion, are defending the indefensible out of a misplaced loyalty to our basketball team, I can only agree to disagree with you, and hope that your sense of right and wrong is independent of the school you choose to root for.
Hey Lobster, go pinch yourself!

Says the UK fan. Comical.

Even as a UNC fan I don't see this as a big deal. Like I said in our thread, he probably should have let Oregon's coach deal with his own players because that's just how things have always been done. I assumed it was in regards to the 3 point shot, which I saw no problem with, what is he supposed to do there take the shot clock violation?

If it was in regards to saluting and trash talking the bench, then I understand it a little bit more but I still think sometimes K and other more seasoned coaches get in their own ways a little bit and the media will look for any excuse to get at Duke. My dad is a huge Duke fan and so I've watched many Duke games and I think that as he gets older K probably just has less patience for what he perceived as a slight against his team. I don't understand lying about it but it could be that he just didn't think it was a big deal. I still think he probably should have just been open about it because it's not the first time a coach has done that and it won't be the last. It's not a huge deal and he could have just been up front about that.

I'm not a Grayson fan at all, probably one of my least liked players at Duke ever and I have no problem with him not accepting the hug. I think it was disingenuous and at a horrible time. Shake hands in line if you must but no one wants your hug after you've won the game. He's earned much of the criticism directed his way but even when the attempted hug happened I thought Brooks was being a bit of a dick.

I still think it had to do with the culmination of the game. I could be wrong, but so could the one's who feel it was because of the shot.

As for K's lying, IMO, it was a conversation he felt was private between he and Brooks.

Lol. One of the worst posts I've ever read.

Sheesh. Should our PG wear #1, our SG #2, etc, and each player, er, I mean, each position have a single back-up who subs in there and only there?

Seriously, you come across as someone who deals in absolutes, no gray areas or complexities at all, what with the "moral relativism" hand-wringing. When you develop true empathy, I think you also develop the humility to understand there aren't many one-size-fits-all solutions for life's challenges.

Ruh-roh! Don't look now, but if this OU vs OU score holds up and Brooks doesn't hit a groove, get ready for the K hex pat conspiracy theories! K reverse Mr. Miyagied Brooks' pectoral muscle with his patented chest pat, causing Brooks to turn it over several times, shoot poorly, and pick up a 3rd foul early in the second half. I'm so glad our coach is a secret wizard.

I think it is almost hilarious how big a deal this is being made out to be. Should a head coach really even have to share comments made in a handshake line? Something personal between he and a player? I mean, don't you think he was right? Duke had stopped playing, respectfully showing Oregon had won and the kid was out there showboating, nothing wrong with how K approached him with that and nothing wrong with K trying to keep that private. I see a lot of unc fans running around like little kids saying K was caught in a lie. Are you fuking kidding me right now? Unc calling K a liar over that lil incident and you crowd have been one big lie for the past 20 years? I don't know how you pitiful bastards sleep at night. Seriously. I think K and his old fashioned ways are wonderful . I think the blown up BS is being cultivated by various writers from other Institutions who are jealous over Dukes history. And I think this whole Duke is villain crap is gonna get dumped in your lap real heavy next season, K is gonna crush the ACC with this class. Hold on to your ass.

K made it a big deal by not telling the truth until he was caught.

Reactions: UNC '92
I see nothing wrong with an honest, respectful comment from an opposing coach to a player after a game. K screwed up by being on camera thus accidentally showing the guy up a little, though the comment also praised his game too.

Coach K has always hated showboating. He told Dante Jones to quit that crap several times. He has gotten pissed at the Crazies on ocassion too for taunting. Oregon shows out a bunch, and it annoyed K. He wanted to express that to Brooks, and knew he might never run into him again.

K did the right thing by apologizing. But really, this should only be of interest to Duke and Duck fans. The rest of the country needs to put the pitchforks away and wipe their mouths.

K made it a big deal by not telling the truth until he was caught.

Again, I think he meant for the talk to be private and didn't want to draw more attention to it. That could be wrong, but it's speculative....just like your theory is too.

I usually stay off of these boards because I really don't have time, and it's like twitter. There's a lot of anger out there. However, I couldn't let this go without chiming in. K probably shouldn't have said anything at all, but let's think about a few nuggets below.

1. The video of K didn't seem hostile. It seemed much more complimentary of Brooks.
2. Brooks wasn't offended and agreed with K.
3. K DIDN'T lie! In the press conference, the guy asked him if he told Brooks that he is too good of a player to be showing off. He said that he didn't say that, and the audio confirms that he didn't say that. The audio goes a little like this-->"You're too good of a player to be doing that. Too good of a player." Never once did the words showing or off come out of his mouth.

*The haters are making this into something, period. Nothing else. Nothing more.

Reactions: skysdad
Well if everyone is going to hate Grayson even before his freshman year at Duke, who's going to stand up for him? If not Duke fans, then who? At least that's what I think.

And what's worse is that he's still just a college kid, amateur athlete – that the NCAA is making millions off of – but he takes the criticism and hatred on the level of a professional athlete. I have no problem with the rivalry in sports (it's only natural) but guys like Laettner, JJ, Scheyer, Grayson, etc. shouldn't have to consider getting body guards when going to an away game.

Reactions: Dattier
K DIDN'T lie! In the press conference, the guy asked him if he told Brooks that he is too good of a player to be showing off. He said that he didn't say that, and the audio confirms that he didn't say that. The audio goes a little like this-->"You're too good of a player to be doing that. Too good of a player." Never once did the words showing or off come out of his mouth.

*The haters are making this into something, period. Nothing else. Nothing more.
lol Well, yeah, I guess we have that technicality on our side. Considering how outraged and indignant some appear to be, I'd say technicalities are fair fodder and right in line with the weird combination of hatred and arousal they seem to get from this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT