ADVERTISEMENT

Glad Grayson didnt pull a Joel Berry.....

You out of towners....lol...will never know how it is to be adu
The worst is the cheats act like we are the only team trying to draw a foul by kicking feet out. Lil berry did it at least twice last night but didn't get a call. Poor acting skills lol
def berry right now is their guy, he does all the tricks as well...the neck snap and all and even worse, i guess when attacking the rim, which he does very well he hurls himself into the defender and leads with his elbow

Reactions: hart2chesson
LMAO I love that one guy with the horrible grammar skills. The one that claimed that Duke is nothing but out of state players. UNC has had 4 players from NC in the last FOUR seasons. I'm talking about out of all the starters and main bench players.

I also bring this up because I know a UNC fan who always joked that we're actually the University of New Jersey or something because we have so many northern players and not people from UNC. That's not true of UNC anymore. Most of their top players are not even from NC anymore.

I think it's a stupid remark for anyone to bring up to begin with because who cares where a player is from? Most players obviously don't just go to local schools either. They want to attend the school that they want to attend lol.

CB34 has largely been a good poster, but went straight salty vag in this thread. People typically don't like having a mirror held up to their bullshit. They love to claim Duke gets seeding favoritism, then they become the first two seed in NCAA history with 10 losses. They love to claim Grayson is dirty, and then they see an image of their senior leader doing something arguably more violent than anything Allen has done. That is a gut punch of reality he did not handle well. He doesn't need to be banned, he has a little bit of equity I would say.

I agree, Mac. I don't think Duke fans that live outside of NC realize how it is here. As I've mentioned many times before, I actually liked and rooted for North Carolina in the 60's and much of the 70's (NOT over Duke...but against everyone else). But my respect for the Carolina program was never reciprocated. Yeah, as long as Duke stunk, the Heel fans could tolerate us, but if we were a threat, to hell with us. It got to the point were I slowly began to detest Carolina...because of their fans. They did not, do not, and never will respect Duke. So, that's how I got to where I am today.

OFC
That’s not entirely true, many of us have great respect for K and the program he’s built, you just don’t hear much from us...

CB34 has largely been a good poster, but went straight salty vag in this thread. People typically don't like having a mirror held up to their bullshit. They love to claim Duke gets seeding favoritism, then they become the first two seed in NCAA history with 10 losses. They love to claim Grayson is dirty, and then they see an image of their senior leader doing something arguably more violent than anything Allen has done. That is a gut punch of reality he did not handle well. He doesn't need to be banned, he has a little bit of equity I would say.
He will be back, just needs a time out, Roy stashed them up for this very reason.

He will be back, just needs a time out, Roy stashed them up for this very reason.
vVkoPPU.gif

Then us needs to speak up then because you are permitting some of your fan base to speak for you. OFC
Every fan base has outliners, UK has boatloads, but they typically represent a vocal minority. Duke has its share as does UNC. Most of what I’ve seen is basically benign. I ignore the really ignorant ones. No one speaks for me.

Every fan base has outliners, UK has boatloads, but they typically represent a vocal minority. Duke has its share as does UNC. Most of what I’ve seen is basically benign. I ignore the really ignorant ones. No one speaks for me.

I'm assuming you meant outliers. If you have a boatload of outliers, then they aren't outliers.

Reactions: GillJET
You guys are being disingenuous. The play didn't look that bad in real speed but even if it was Berry is not a generally dirty player. If Grayson Allen played for any other school you all would think he should be banned and call him a nut job. What kind of man sticks his ass out to trip up another guy? If your going to be dirty throw an elbow on a rebound or something. Do something manly. You can be a dook fan and still acknowledge the fact that Allen is a head case and not have to make false equivalences with Joel Berry.

Reactions: trig81
That’s not entirely true, many of us have great respect for K and the program he’s built, you just don’t hear much from us...

Well, it certainly isn't 100%, I've run across a few UNC fans that show some respect to K and Duke. That said, most Heel fans that i run across (80+ percent) have little to no respect. That's my experience, yours may vary.

OFC

You guys are being disingenuous. The play didn't look that bad in real speed but even if it was Berry is not a generally dirty player. If Grayson Allen played for any other school you all would think he should be banned and call him a nut job. What kind of man sticks his ass out to trip up another guy? If your going to be dirty throw an elbow on a rebound or something. Do something manly. You can be a dook fan and still acknowledge the fact that Allen is a head case and not have to make false equivalences with Joel Berry.
I don’t think you’ll meet very many Duke fans that refuse to acknowledge Allen’s tripping incidents (hip check not included) were uncalled for and needed to be addressed. That doesn’t make him a head case. It makes him a teenager or young kid that’s very competitive, has poor impulse control (like most people his age) and wears his emotions on his sleeve. The hip check is done more often than non-Duke fans want to admit and only got the attention it did bc it was Allen. But, Allen brought that on himself.

Do I think Berry is a terrible human being after that one play? Of course not. That doesn’t mean it wasn’t uncalled for and should be addressed.

The equivocating other team’s fans do with Allen is over the top. They make his actions seem so bad that it would make the participants of the “Malice in the Palace” look like angels.

Most Duke fans I know, and the posts I read here concerning Grayson didn't defend what he has done. It was stupid what Allen did to Brooks, but it was just a foul. The kid and the crowd sold that one.
It's the stuff that has been done to him that garners no attention. Like the Wake kid last year that threw him down, or the Pitt kid this year in Durham that undercut him. What about the kid from Oregon last season that hit another player in the groin. What Berry did sure did look cheap, but defend him, it's what I'd expect out of a Tar Hole fan.
Most people just want to see a fair shake. I like Allen a lot, don't like some of his actions, but the street goes both ways.

Why don't you read that hodgepodge post of yours and come back with something better. First you say, in real speed it didn't look that bad...does that mean it was that bad, but since it didn't look that bad, it's okay? Then you say that Berry is not generally a dirty player? Does that mean on occasion he is, so that makes it ok also? And then after all that crap, you then say if you're going to be dirty, throw an elbow? So, it's much better to de-brain someone with an elbow then, is it?
You're just upset that someone calls out your little choir boy for something that you, and the rest of the brainiacs on THR would have a shit-fit over if Grayson, or any Duke player, did the same thing.

OFC

I don’t think you’ll meet very many Duke fans that refuse to acknowledge Allen’s tripping incidents (hip check not included) were uncalled for and needed to be addressed. That doesn’t make him a head case. It makes him a teenager or young kid that’s very competitive, has poor impulse control (like most people his age) and wears his emotions on his sleeve. The hip check is done more often than non-Duke fans want to admit and only got the attention it did bc it was Allen. But, Allen brought that on himself.

Do I think Berry is a terrible human being after that one play? Of course not. That doesn’t mean it wasn’t uncalled for and should be addressed.

The equivocating other team’s fans do with Allen is over the top. They make his actions seem so bad that it would make the participants of the “Malice in the Palace” look like angels.

See that's what bothers me. Allen has done this multiple times even when he knew the spotlight was on him. It's one thing to make a mistake twice but when you keep doing it over and over again knowing that your are being watched then it stops just being about being competitive and turns into something else. He's too good of a player to have to do that. At 22 he should be able to control himself. I feel like K and a lot of Duke's(not saying dook out of respect) fans have made excuses for him. Other players are just as competitive and just as young as he is and they don't act like that. I'm really disappointed in K though because he should have nipped that in the bud years ago.

Contrary to what you believe, I’m not one of those people that believes Duke pays refs, or they cheated by paying recruits. What I do believe, is that for a number of years, Duke has had a number of players that are incredibly unlikeable and polarizing, due to either questionable play or attitude or whatever the reason. Grayson Allen is the latest in that line. You combine it with other factors, success being one of them, it’s not difficult to understand why Duke is nationally hated more than other blue bloods.
Well I appreciate you acknowledging that one of the hatred factors is due to success. But what is so "incredibly unlikeable" for previous players that is unique to Duke? You can say it's because they are Duke players (I expect that coming from you since we're rivals). And you're right, it's not difficult to understand why Duke is nationally hated but it almost exclusively has to do with success and therefore jealousy of that success. But "polarizing"? Come on, you're blaming the polarization on Duke rather than the national hatred perpetuated by ESPN (and others) which is where the source of that polarizing stems. Before Greg Paulus even got to Duke there were multiple articles written about him talking about how he is the "next Duke player to hate." And I remember in 2015 people were already hating on Grayson for coming off the bench in the championship game, making some great plays and getting excited about it. I remember another time when Duke played Michigan St, Grayson had a dunk and got excited and everybody hated on him for appearing to flex after the dunk. These were pre-tripping incidents, too. Grayson did, afterall win the McDonald's dunk contest as an incoming freshman so he knows how to throw it down but being successful at something he shouldn't be (white men can't jump) is probably already 3 strikes. Other than being good, white, and playing for Duke what would you say is the reason for this hatred on a national scale? What did JJ Redick do to garner so much hatred? Cockiness (because apparently basketball fans think cockiness is only a Duke thing)? Everybody hated Wojo because he slapped the floor...yeah what an "incredibly unlikeable" and "polarizing" thing to do. How dare he.

If only these players could do something less unlikeable and polarizing like...I don't know...taking fake classes.

Congrats on that degree from Chapel Hill. They keep churning out good people like you every day, I see.
That AFAM degree program is still alive and kickin' and will have their annual paragraph-essay-thon this spring! They need all the volunteers they can get to write some papers for these students. UNCheat Alumni: Sign up today and you will be able to receive your court-ordered mandatory volunteer hours!

The general notion of any UNC person trying to take the moral high ground in literally any context is ridiculous. That ship set sail around 20 years ago.

Yea ok. After we beat you guys in Chapel Hill I went to Duval's twitter page and saw that video of him dunking. Even though I hate Duke I actually called him out on it and told him how the name on his uniform meant something and how K deserves more respect than what he was giving him. After that the video came down. Don't know if it was because of me or not but it did come down. That said we don't need to be lectured about the "moral high ground."

See that's what bothers me. Allen has done this multiple times even when he knew the spotlight was on him. It's one thing to make a mistake twice but when you keep doing it over and over again knowing that your are being watched then it stops just being about being competitive and turns into something else. He's too good of a player to have to do that. At 22 he should be able to control himself. I feel like K and a lot of Duke's(not saying dook out of respect) fans have made excuses for him. Other players are just as competitive and just as young as he is and they don't act like that. I'm really disappointed in K though because he should have nipped that in the bud years ago.
He had a few (maybe 3 or 4) tripping incidents over three years. Should he have done it? Absolutely not. Is it okay to take a handful of incidents and imply he’s like that his entire 130+ game career? Absolutely not. Does that excuse his behavior in those incidents? No. But, we’ll defend our player just like you’ll defend guys like Rasheed Wallace or Raymond Felton.

Would you like to be defined by the 2% of the time you’re at your worst, or the 98% of the time when you’re not?

Yea ok. After we beat you guys in Chapel Hill I went to Duval's twitter page and saw that video of him dunking. Even though I hate Duke I actually called him out on it and told him how the name on his uniform meant something and how K deserves more respect than what he was giving him. After that the video came down. Don't know if it was because of me or not but it did come down. That said we don't need to be lectured about the "moral high ground."
Another swing and a miss with that post. Time for you to go away.

Feel like I should apologize to the board because of my react to CB last night but when he put that pms remark s nd the one about my mom who just recently passed made me lose my temper.I apologize to the members of this board or any moderator that I caused a problem for

I don't blame your take. If I were in your shoes, I would probably hate people throwing my most embarrassing transgression in my face. But I don't see that changing.

And that gets at the hypocrisy and idiocy of it all. It is clear you are way, way more worked up about Allen throwing a hip into someone than you are about your school cheating for the better part of two decades. Let that sink in.

Feel like I should apologize to the board because of my react to CB last night but when he put that pms remark s nd the one about my mom who just recently passed made me lose my temper.I apologize to the members of this board or any moderator that I caused a problem for
All good, and for the record he wasn’t saying “pms” but was referring to PM’s- private messages.

Regardless, this is a duke board. He was out of line and will be back in due time.

Our new heel poster above loves to regurgitate talking points but doesn’t want to get into any facts, and for that reason he should be out.

Why either side goes to their rivals board, insults or trashes their players is beyond me. I will call out their fans and players here, but not on their board. They in turn should keep their sanctimonious ish on their own board. I personally will NOT be convinced by them or anyone else that Grayson Allen is trash and anything below or less of a person than their precious Joel Berry so move along!

I don't blame your take. If I were in your shoes, I would probably hate people throwing my most embarrassing transgression in my face. But I don't see that changing.

And that gets at the hypocrisy and idiocy of it all. It is clear you are way, way more worked up about Allen throwing a hip into someone than you are about your school cheating for the better part of two decades. Let that sink in.

I'm not worked up at all about Grayson Allen. He's a dirty player that's his game. Is what it is. I'm not at all proud of what the school did. I think the whole concept of student athletics is a joke but we were wrong. The fact is that over 3k students took those courses over that period of time and 90% of them were not basketball or football players. We deserve the scorn, we deserve the hit to our reputation but the is was not an NCAA issue.

All good, and for the record he wasn’t saying “pms” but was referring to PM’s- private messages.

Regardless, this is a duke board. He was out of line and will be back in due time.

Our new heel poster above loves to regurgitate talking points but doesn’t want to get into any facts, and for that reason he should be out.
Was this directed at me? If so, please tag me for clarity. I try to deal explicitly with facts. My gif was a genuine response to what I thought was a funny zinger you had towards CB34.

I’m not coming with some alterior motive here. Just trying to talk basketball, more specifically UNC vs Duke ball. If I offend, it’s unintentional.

I'm not worked up at all about Grayson Allen. He's a dirty player that's his game. Is what it is. I'm not at all proud of what the school did. I think the whole concept of student athletics is a joke but we were wrong. The fact is that over 3k students took those courses over that period of time and 90% of them were not basketball or football players. We deserve the scorn, we deserve the hit to our reputation but the is was not an NCAA issue.

Whatever you say but '05 and '09 are tarnished forever, and Mary Willingham, Jay Smith, Wayne Walden and yes ol Roy all know it....

#TarnishedHeels
#Cheated
#RoyKnew

OFC

Was this directed at me? If so, please tag me for clarity. I try to deal explicitly with facts. My gif was a genuine response to what I thought was a funny zinger you had towards CB34.

I’m not coming with some alterior motive here. Just trying to talk basketball, more specifically UNC vs Duke ball. If I offend, it’s unintentional.
Could you please elaborate on these facts.Your program has been involved in more junk than any program in the NCAA.First fact y’all were implicated in the point shaving scandal in the sixties.Fact two Dean covered up DUI’s by Asst coach Phil Ford.Fact three You had at least two assault and batteries by Unc players on fans yet GA is a dirty player.Fact four y’all had numerous players using vehicles supplied by a convicted felon.Fact five while all this was going on your fan base loudly proclaiming that everyone other school other than Unc was cheating

Ok, so if you're going to use the Cheaters' battle cry of "this is an academic issue not an athletic one" then where was the punishment for the worst academic institutional fraud in NCAA history? Yall got what, 1-year probation? LOL, you had an entire degree program that was fake for 18 years and you still got to keep your accreditation? You deserve the scorn, but you deserve so much more – like an actual punishment.

Let's go back to the reason why these classes were created in the first place: for athletes. And 50% of the students were athletes. Oh and another thing, if we assume you're correct in that 10% of them were basketball and football players, well 10% of 3,000 is 300. And you may already know this, but basketball teams are kinda small. So that 300 isn't really helping your case at all.

Could you please elaborate on these facts.Your program has been involved in more junk than any program in the NCAA.First fact y’all were implicated in the point shaving scandal in the sixties.Fact two Dean covered up DUI’s by Asst coach Phil Ford.Fact three You had at least two assault and batteries by Unc players on fans yet GA is a dirty player.Fact four y’all had numerous players using vehicles supplied by a convicted felon.Fact five while all this was going on your fan base loudly proclaiming that everyone other school other than Unc was cheating
UNC and it’s fans deserve any and all backlash we get for trumping the ‘Carolina Way’ to anyone we came across. I was that fan up until about 10 years ago. I cringe at my old attitude. I accept we haven’t been perfect. We’ve had imperfect players and coaches. I’ve made peace with what we’ve done and what college sports are in general. The ‘Cheat’ moniker doesn’t bother me and I understand why it bothers others.

At the end of the day, I enjoy college sports. I enjoy friendly banter. I’m going to try and ‘lighten’ this board up a touch because I don’t like posting in an echo chamber (which is why I don’t post on THR). So keep the barbs coming. I’ll keep hanging around as time permits me too.

UNC and it’s fans deserve any and all backlash we get for trumping the ‘Carolina Way’ to anyone we came across. I was that fan up until about 10 years ago. I cringe at my old attitude. I accept we haven’t been perfect. We’ve had imperfect players and coaches. I’ve made peace with what we’ve done and what college sports are in general. The ‘Cheat’ moniker doesn’t bother me and I understand why it bothers others.

At the end of the day, I enjoy college sports. I enjoy friendly banter. I’m going to try and ‘lighten’ this board up a touch because I don’t like posting in an echo chamber (which is why I don’t post on THR). So keep the barbs coming. I’ll keep hanging around as time permits me too.
Fair enough no problem with your answer.Can you be the rarest of all a reasonable Unc fan

Fair enough no problem with your answer.Can you be the rarest of all a reasonable Unc fan
Just think I’m getting older and less fanatical. In the moment, I’m the worst/most homerish UNC fan in the world. After the game I calm down. It’s just kids playing their hearts out for a school. I don’t even really dislike Allen TBH. I see an introverted kid who internalizes his issues and shies away from crowds. Yet he’s this amazing talent in basketball. The game provides an outlet for his emotions that he generally keeps bottled up. When things are going well, he has a smile that lights up the room. When things are bad, he has trouble composing himself. I can sympathize with that.

At the end of the day, they’re all kids. Many of whom are friends off the court.

Y'all keep saying it wasn't an NCAA issue. Your fan base keeps saying that, but the rest of the college world knows differently. It's ashamed the amount of money that had to be spent so that your school could find a loop hole. By the way, did you come up with your user name or copy mine? I figure you copied mine, you probably have an AFAM degree too.

That’s laughable to me that you don’t think that Academic Scandal was not an NCAA issue. The NCAA got involved with Penn State and that was entirely a legal matter and they had no jurisdiction to get involved with it. What is the NCAA’s main purpose. To help “Student Athletes”? Correct? Well by definition that would fall right in line with what was happening at UNC. You keep believing the idea that it was a University issue when the reality is other schools got hammered for other things well outside the jurisdiction of the NCAA.

Just think I’m getting older and less fanatical. In the moment, I’m the worst/most homerish UNC fan in the world. After the game I calm down. It’s just kids playing their hearts out for a school. I don’t even really dislike Allen TBH. I see an introverted kid who internalizes his issues and shies away from crowds. Yet he’s this amazing talent in basketball. The game provides an outlet for his emotions that he generally keeps bottled up. When things are going well, he has a smile that lights up the room. When things are bad, he has trouble composing himself. I can sympathize with that.

At the end of the day, they’re all kids. Many of whom are friends off the court.
Great post Ticket. We can dislike the behavior at times, but we have to understand they're still kids and are competing for their school. Grayson has brought on a lot of the negative attention himself, but he shouldn't have been crucified for it. I've always thought its kind of funny how both our fan bases get so worked up about certain players, but many times the opposing player could have ended up playing for either school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT