ADVERTISEMENT

Gary's Stats and Stuff....

dukiejay

Mar 2, 2005
Minneapolis
It's up, and as usual, Gary doesn't disappoint. And he wasted little time in attacking the refs. God bless this man.

- I normally don't get a chance to read anything before I write these, but I looked at Adam's Rapid Reactions, and we were thinking on the same lines I'm sure many of y'all were: I didn't think it was possible to play as badly as we did vs Mich St. back in December --- so much for that notion.

- Maybe I jinxed us by posting in the game thread yesterday, but as I feared, their size was particularly hard on this year's team. As I said, with last year's UNC team I wouldn't bat an eye at these guys, but this version needed to make shots. Again, so much for that.

- Here's where I'm gonna depart from Adam --- the issue wasn't transition. In fact we scored 20 of our 28 first half points in our transition game, mostly off the Secondary (the transition numbers Adam cited came from an NCAA stat keeper who doesn't have a clue about our system). The issue on offense was not converting open looks ---- both in the paint and from 3. We were rushing shots inside (or serving up easy blocks), and we couldn't buy anything from deep. Losing formula.

- I didn't like our energy. However, JB came to play and was driving the tempo, but even he couldn't knock down his 3-balls either. Following a really bad charge call on Joel (that resuted in a 4-pt turn-around) we just seemed to fall into a shell for the rest of the half. In general, Cam and Kenny were rushing shots and the young Bigs were deer in headlights. Sterling missing that beautifully executed OB lob play before the half was par for the course. Theo played hard but was making bad decisions in shots. Luke was the other guy who came to play but the zebras wouldn't let him stay on the floor. We got yet another open look on a set play to start the second half but missed again, and that was the omen for the rest of the day. It just wasn't to be.

- There's not a bigger fan of Roy than yours truly, but neither the game plan nor the substitution patterns made much sense honestly. We sometimes found ourselves with little firepower on the floor (and why Platek wasn't the first Guard off the bench is a mystery), and sitting back in base half-court defense and letting these guys just throw the ball into their behemoths was not a winning proposition. This was a game we needed to be more multiple and more aggressive early IMO. But hey, even HOF coaches have off days too, and I'm not sure anything could overcome that bad an offensive performance --- and hell, one time when we did trap, Brooks abandons his "goal-tender" paint position to go after a damn pass to the key (??). Open dunk.

- Tthe only thing else I can add is the Dance is always a crap-shoot (as we've seen in spades this weekend), and in many ways this particular game worried me more than any we might have faced afterward because of the size match-iup issue. Still, it's heart-breaking to have Joel and Theo go out like that in what was practically a home game. Those two have been such a blessing for the Tar Heel Nation --- way beyond the Natty --- to the point that it's hard to imagine a UNC team without them in uniform. Thank you Joel Berry, Theo Pinson (and Justin Jackson) for following your hearts to Chapel Hill. I was hoping somehow Theo could do something in this tourney to get his jersey in the rafters with the other two, and Dog will move on to the NBA as the most successful --- as well as in the argument for the second-best all-around --- PG in the history of Point Guard U...:cool:

Welp, more than one of us on here said that if we could knock down shots, we liked our chances of repeating. Unfortunately, the flip-side of that was on display today :(. 33% FGs and 19% 3s will lose most nights in the regular season, much less in the NCAAT.

Thought it curious that there was no reference to the blown assists. I imagine the number got higher than Gary's ability to count, hence the omission.

Poor guy.

He needs to make shorter posts, or I'm not reading them. I don't have time in my life for "paragraphs from Gary"

Reactions: pisgah101
It's up, and as usual, Gary doesn't disappoint. And he wasted little time in attacking the refs. God bless this man.

Speak for yourself. I'm disappointed as hell. The only mention of the referees causing trouble for his team was that brief comment about Maye not being able to stay on the floor.

I was hoping for his normal paragraph-long rant about biased officiating.

I must admit I have underestimated Gary all year. Dude can ball. Not a bad 4th option. Oh wait I was talking about Trent. :)

AAU Gary still has his predictable dipshits that like his posts, but even most of those cheating douchebag fans have figured him out. Can’t believe some of those clowns actually believe what he says lol

It’s like an addict that knows he’s an addict. No person can knowingly blame a complete blow out on the refs, not even Gary. But he also can’t help himself which is why you see the subtle jabs like the bad charge on Berry. It is almost like appreciating art for what it is, there are layers to an artist’s work. There are layers to Gary’s words you just have to find them. Many times they will jump out at you others you must go looking, but the refs will always be there, always.

And just like refs you know he’s going to go full slober over Joel and his new boy Platek. I’ve seen 3 Duke UNC games this year and Platek hasn’t even had a small presence in any of them. But when you got that itch you got that itch and the words write themselves sometimes.

A bit of bad news yesterday for future Cheat opponents. Seventh Wonder actually scored yesterday.

asVTNsr.jpg

This was his opening paragraph after they were brutalized by Michigan State in November:
"
...and so, if Roy had told the guys, "OK, tonight I'm gonna test y'all by putting you up against a big, physical, experienced team... with the worst, most one-sided officiating imaginable"... well, he couldn't have drawn it up any better.
"
Gary has no problem blaming every bad thing that happens to UNC on the officials.

I'm really sad we don't get stats and stuff till November

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT