ADVERTISEMENT

FSU to sue the ACC

Duke should be proactive because the ACC's days are numbered, I'm afraid. Feel like Big 12 would be best shot.
I agree. FSU likely to Big 10, Miami either Big 10 or 12. Va and Nc to Big 10 or Sec. Clemson and Ncsu either stay put or go to Big 12. The rest of the teams will stay in what’s left of the Acc.
Fsus not in the vaunted Aau but neither is Nebraska and they entered. Just a best guess but the Acc may hold up for awhile. I wouldn’t be surprised if Uva and Unc don’t have as much interest as they claim. With the Big 10s surge in football I’m not sure how much appetite there will be for those two It would add two more tv markets so it’s possible. The Big 10 would likely be enticed by their academic pedigrees

Reactions: smashmouth5
That was my first reaction as well, but if you take a step back and look at who’s actually in the Big 10 now. Ohio St Michigan obviously. The 4 pac 12 schools great additions no doubt. Penn State. Good. Here’s where it gets interesting. These are the schools we are to believe add more value than Duke:
Rutgers
Minnesota
Purdue
Illinois
Indiana
Northwestern
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Iowa

Wisconsin and Iowa have decent football traditions but to think this conf wouldn’t consider Duke is irrational to me

I agree. FSU likely to Big 10, Miami either Big 10 or 12. Va and Nc to Big 10 or Sec. Clemson and Ncsu either stay put or go to Big 12. The rest of the teams will stay in what’s left of the Acc.
Fsus not in the vaunted Aau but neither is Nebraska and they entered. Just a best guess but the Acc may hold up for awhile. I wouldn’t be surprised if Uva and Unc don’t have as much interest as they claim. With the Big 10s surge in football I’m not sure how much appetite there will be for those two It would add two more tv markets so it’s possible. The Big 10 would likely be enticed by their academic pedigrees

Nebraska was....Michigan had a hand in getting them kicked out.

They’ll be in the Acc ten years from now with Boston College, Ga Tech, Wake, Syracuse. Va Tech if the Big 12 says no thanks. Swoffords legacy. He was so in love with Carolina Hoops he had no clue what was going on
Swofford's biggest accomplishment was keeping his beloved 'Holes out of trouble. They should have received the NCAA "death penalty" for the two decade fake classes scandal.

OFC

Acc is a dead man walking. I wonder if we end up in the big10 or 12. Big 12 would be a helluva basketball conference, big 10 would be more money
Yeh I think the Big 10 would be a good landing spot. With the West coast and Midwest locked down With the nbc cbs and fox contracts the big 10 will be the nations conference. Best case scenario

Yeh I think the Big 10 would be a good landing spot. With the West coast and Midwest locked down With the nbc cbs and fox contracts the big 10 will be the nations conference. Best case scenario
If you ever watch the Finebum show they are terrified of what the Big 10 is turning into. A national brand Love it

Swofford's biggest accomplishment was keeping his beloved 'Holes out of trouble. They should have received the NCAA "death penalty" for the two decade fake classes scandal.

OFC
Very prestigious academic pedigree.

With the ACC also suing FSU and wanting to keep it all in NC is very telling. The ACCs sh1t is gonna be brought to the National Stage if they keep the lawsuit and court stuff in FL. Since FL has the Sunshine Law all of the sh1t will be brought out. It’s gonna be very interesting at what comes out. I think the ACC is close to being done. Like others have said….This will be Swofford’s Legacy.

Nebraska was....Michigan had a hand in getting them kicked out.
You’re saying Nebraska was in the Aau and got kicked out? It’s very political. Somehow USF got in over Fsu this past year and Notre Dame just got in. So you’ve got schools like Illinois and Texas Am longtime members and Notre Dame just made the cut this past year with USF and Arizona State, coeds legendary academics not so much

Free Shoes University can go take a long walk off a short pier.
They want to compete against top schools most importantly Florida. The acc is a loser financially. If FSU stays in the acc in ten years Uf will have basically half a billion $ more in tv revenue. Not sustainable. I don’t care if fsu leaves but if Uva and unc leave for the Big 10 or sec and Clemson and Ncsu for the big 12 that would be the death blow for the conference

Reactions: Dad2ze
Free Shoes University can go take a long walk off a short pier.
My mother and wife both went there so I can’t support that. It is kind of funny that people are still thirty yrs later talking about discounts at dept stores given the complete sh show that is the current nil landscape

Reactions: Dad2ze
I dislike them more for the Grayson vitriol when I saw Duke play there. It was like a gladiator pit. Total lack of class. My dad is a FSU fan. The free shoes was just a joke. Sorry meant no offense.

Last edited:
I dislike them more for the Grayson vitriol when I saw Duke play there. It was like a gladiator pit. Total lack of class. My dad is a FSU fan. The free shoes was just a joke. Sorry meant no offense.
None taken. I’ve been to a couple of FSU Duke games in Tally. The 2002 was crazy. Their hate towards Grayson and even Paulus was deranged. It was uncomfortable to put it mildly My wife wanted to leave at half

Reactions: christophero
None taken. I’ve been to a couple of FSU Duke games in Tally. The 2002 was crazy. Their hate towards Grayson and even Paulus was deranged. It was uncomfortable to put it mildly My wife wanted to leave at half
Did you know that Gonzaga got one of Fsus best assistants? Elite recruiter and great practice coach

Every game I’ve been there it’s basically been whoever is Dukes best white player is we’re gonna go ape sh every time they touch the ball. Cringey

@KDSTONE I did not know about the Gonzaga assistant. I did go to one FSU game that was fun. The crowd was all fired up they had a Jordan/Bulls intro with pyrotechnics and then we were up 32 to 6 or something and people were leaving in the first half. It was glorious. It was the Plumlee/Kelly/Curry year, our Elite Eight team. Curry was so hobbled he didn't even warm up but he still was raining 3s during the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: KDSTONE
From everything I've seen, FSU can't win this case but is using the lawsuit as a way to force a buyout. The buyout itself will probably be enough to fun more money for the rest of the ACC. I don't know that UVA, State and UNC will follow so quickly when they see how much FSU has to pay.

I am interested to see if Clemson joins in the suit. Clemson seems to be the calmer of the two schools when it comes to wanting out. Clemson may understand (which FSU doesn't) that joining the SEC is a guaranteed 3-4 losses a season and the playoffs will be further away rather than closer.

I always wanted Duke to join the Big 12 and could see those conferences merging into the 3rd best conference. But that would make too much sense so it will never happen.

Reactions: KDSTONE
You’re saying Nebraska was in the Aau and got kicked out? It’s very political. Somehow USF got in over Fsu this past year and Notre Dame just got in. So you’ve got schools like Illinois and Texas Am longtime members and Notre Dame just made the cut this past year with USF and Arizona State, coeds legendary academics not so much

Yes, Nebraska was a member and then kicked out several years later.

The biggest thing in all this alignment crap, who the hell is doing the football marketing for the Big 10? Because they deserve their whole salary plus more. That conference, and for some time, is literally OSU, UM, red-headed child PSU a few rungs down, a few more rungs down Iowa, and the rest is a dumpster fire. How in the hell they are the proclaimed second best football conference every year and one of the drivers in expansion, i will never know...

The biggest thing in all this alignment crap, who the hell is doing the football marketing for the Big 10? Because they deserve their whole salary plus more. That conference, and for some time, is literally OSU, UM, red-headed child PSU a few rungs down, a few more rungs down Iowa, and the rest is a dumpster fire. How in the hell they are the proclaimed second best football conference every year and one of the drivers in expansion, i will never know...
Amen. Most of the schools are diploma mills, so they do have some following.

Simple. The Big Ten consists of almost all huge schools, who pack their stadiums (Northwestern being the exception on both), who have a nationwide following and their own network. Money talks. Quality is secondary.

Duke/Nina refuses to even discuss conference alignment with its only rivals UNC, UVA, FSU, Clemson, NCSU, VT, Miami, even though that "magnificent 7" has had several meetings and would love to vote with Duke as a majority of 8 to disband and leave ACC immediately with zero penalty under nc law and double income in a much better league of 8 which is ideal number [with zero protest since everyone knows that would be useless in nc courts]. Why is Nina/Duke so obsessed with being in a zero dollar minor league with Wake Forest, BC, Lousyville, Pitts, Berkeley, and SMU? Did they learn nothing from Stanford and pac 2?

Even better would be Notre Dame joins catholic Big East for all sports except football, and other 14 splits in half to benefit all 15 and everyone else in ncaa. FSU, GA Tech, Clemson, UNC, Duke, UVA, Syracuse, can join Uconn, then eventually Maryland and Penn State, 8 or 10 is much better, double payouts immediately. Miami, NCSU, Wake, VA Tech, Louisville, Pitt, BC, were much better off in big east where they had 100% of all their success while being in acc has destroyed all 7 schools for decades and made them irrelevant, they can join WVU, Cincinnati, Rutgers, for ideal 7-10 schools.

Big 10 and Pac 10 go back to 10, SEC and big12 go back to 10 schools that actually care about playing each other and can play all members every year in all sports and twice in hoops.

Last edited:
There’s a difference in what you say publicly vs what is going on behind closed doors. Don’t think for a second Duke and Nina aren’t having every single possible convo they can to put Duke in the best possible spot. Reality is that without a football program that draws eyeballs or fills the seats in Wallace Wade we are in a very difficult spot with the realignment.

Don’t think for a second Duke and Nina aren’t having every single possible convo they can to put Duke in the best possible spot. Reality is that without a football program that draws eyeballs or fills the seats in Wallace Wade we are in a very difficult spot with the realignment.
Nina and her staff have worked TIRELESSLY to build the football program during her tenure. Dr. King in fact has put much more energy and resources into football than her predecessor. Securing the ESPN Game Day coverage @ Duke for football this year was unprecedented!!

Unfortunately Duke football (despite more on-field success), still struggles to draw 20,000 to home games. Yes football is still a liability in our realignment possibilities. I think hoops and academics are our best sell.

OFC

I'm not giving up on Duke football's ability to attract fans. No not 40,000 every game but at least 30,000. If the game is high profile and the team is winning, there are enough people within 100 miles to help fill the stadium.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT