ADVERTISEMENT

Faith in Giles?

BlueDevils725

Starter
Jan 12, 2015
Do you guys think Giles will be 100% next season or do you think he'll take it easy to make the jump to the NBA a bit safer? After watching clips of him and Tatum...wow, the thought of these 2 here with Grayson and crew is a bit overwhelming.

Reactions: cameroncrazie1985
Do you guys think Giles will be 100% next season or do you think he'll take it easy to make the jump to the NBA a bit safer? After watching clips of him and Tatum...wow, the thought of these 2 here with Grayson and crew is a bit overwhelming.

I fully expect him to be ready physically. Rehabbing 3 days a week right now at Duke. He will give it everything he has at Duke. I think that's just the kind of kid he is and he wants to win, BAD!! The only thing I am concerned about, and its a very small concern, is the mental side of it. How much he thinks about possibly tearing one of his ACL's again. That may slow him down initally but Harry is a beast and will be great while at Duke.

Stop worrying, that kid is gonna DOMINATE son !

Honestly...I have concerns. I do expect him to play but two surgeries this early in his career has to be concerns by. Look no further then Jabari.

IMO...the best thing for Giles and Duke would be to start playing mid-season at the earliest. It would take some stress off his legs while still giving him plenty of time and opportunity to show what he can do.

Just my opinion of course and I'm sure not a popular one

He has come back from this exact injury once before, and he did not miss a beat. He in fact rose back to be the #1 player in his class. And he did that without the benefit of Duke's medical resources. I'm not worried at all.

Reactions: diehardDUKIEnKY
Look, there are reasons to worry about certain types, he's not that type. It's not like a layoff will ruin his game, he's a natural. The kid has "IT" and it's all over him. He's young, strong, determined and currently getting treatment at the best place on the planet for his condition. I like that he was at the Indiana game as well, I know that got his blood boiling to play in Cameron. http://bluedevilnation.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/giles.jpg

With these type of injuries it is always best to be cautiously optimistic. Giles is getting some of the best medical attention on the planet, and even to that end, his future will be taken into consideration before he ever steps on the court @ Duke.
Sometimes you can come back stronger than ever, as the knee(s) will be reinforced, but either way, Giles will be fine and well taken care of to ensure his health and welfare.
What we can do as Duke fans is hope for the very best that Giles can play at Duke, and be injury free. Absolutely cannot wait to see him in a Duke uniform!
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

Reactions: DukeDenver
Honestly...I have concerns. I do expect him to play but two surgeries this early in his career has to be concerns by. Look no further then Jabari.

IMO...the best thing for Giles and Duke would be to start playing mid-season at the earliest. It would take some stress off his legs while still giving him plenty of time and opportunity to show what he can do.

Jabari tore his ACL in December of 2014 and started playing NBA games 11 months later. Harry tore his ACL in November, he has 12 months until he starts playing college games. I think it's a partial tear as well, I don't know if that means he will heal faster And let's be honest here, it's not like non-conference college basketball schedules are very often considered "gauntlets". There'll be great opportunity in November and December of next year for him to play against low level competition in order to get back in the swing of things. I think it would be much better for him to get his first game action in a year against the likes of Livingstone (exhibition games), Presbyterian, NCCU, or whatever other low to mid major we play rather than Wake Forest or Boston College or NCSU.

Plus, the non-conference schedule tends to have more days in between games, particularly in Dec, while the ACC schedule is non-stop, 2-3 games every week. I think giving him those first two months of the season to get the feel back and maybe even get back in shape a bit will be the best way to go. He may not be a superstar early on but hopefully by ACC season he'll be much closer to the player he was before if not all the way there.

Last edited:

I don't think it's uncommon for folks to have concerns. They're always going to be there.

But, but, but....why would it be best not to play Harry until mid-season? I'm assuming you're basing that off nothing, right?

Here's what we know. He suffered a partial tear in his knee. He's never had an issue with this knee before. We also know his other knee is 100% healed. The type of injury he has is about an 8-10 month recovery cycle, traditionally speaking. It could be less and of course could be more too. Either assumption is purely speculative.

I understand the long-term health of Harry is most important. I understand, even as a Duke fan, that I can't view this selfishly. But to suggest Giles shouldn't play until next January just seems foolish....unless of course he has setbacks.

I think it makes the most sense for Harry to play, 1) once he's medically cleared, and 2) once he's mentally prepared. Both of those could come as early as late next summer, or with bad luck later. But to just say he shouldn't play until mid-season based off nothing you know? That doesn't make sense to me or anyone.

Look, there are reasons to worry about certain types, he's not that type. It's not like a layoff will ruin his game, he's a natural. The kid has "IT" and it's all over him. He's young, strong, determined and currently getting treatment at the best place on the planet for his condition. I like that he was at the Indiana game as well, I know that got his blood boiling to play in Cameron. http://bluedevilnation.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/giles.jpg

It's great to say this but you just don't know how his knee will heal. The reality is that statistically speaking, ACL tears often lead to more injuries. And, they can impact overall speed and agility upon one's return. Healing and recovery is often very different. Some athletes can be back at full speed at 8-9 months. Others take over a year. And, that this is his second significant knee injury is a concern. Doesn't matter how bad he wants it; bodies are constructed differently. And knees among big men can be notoriously difficult to predict. Just ask any number of great big men.

The cliche that several are using, "cautious optimism" is, in this case, the most reasonable way to see this, however. He will have very good medical attention at Duke. And if his work ethic and attitude are strong that will be a big positive as well. The psychology of overcoming that and having full confidence in one's knee can be a hurdle - even among world-class professional athletes. But, he's in a great situation and the time he'll have to recover should put him in a good place to be ready. It is a shame he won't have the summer to hone his game and skills more, though. He'll still need a lot of low post instruction for his game to become great at Duke - even with his great potential.

Wait until Luke is a sophomore

Speaking of "BIG LUKE MAYE" and Kenny "Tar Heel Radar" Williams UNC nation must be getting a little impatient with HOF Coach Roy Williams for holding them back and not unleashing their havoc on opponents. Maybe he's gonna let them "lose" on us. OFC

Speaking of "BIG LUKE MAYE" and Kenny "Tar Heel Radar" Williams UNC nation must be getting a little impatient with HOF Coach Roy Williams for holding them back and not unleashing their havoc on opponents. Maybe he's gonna let them "lose" on us. OFC
I am sure when he does we will loose that game just like we have loosed in the past.

Reactions: skysdad
Sky don'teven joke about that.That is a terrifying thought

Me thinks it's pretty standard to have concerns about Harry in regards to his knee... I myself however won't be letting those concerns morph into worries, and thus having me worrying about him anytime his leg is in action. HG should be just fine & dandy.

Me thinks it's pretty standard to have concerns about Harry in regards to his knee... I myself however won't be letting those concerns morph into worries, and thus having me worrying about him anytime his leg is in action. HG should be just fine & dandy.
Where in ky are you? I'm here too

Has anyone heard anything concrete about Giles' surgery and recovery timetable? Particularly, whether he was forced to do a complete reconstruction of the ACL or whether he's doing only a partial rebuild that leaves some of the old ligament in tact. That would obviously make a huge difference in the recovery time. If it was a partial tear that didn't completely compromise the integrity of the ligament, I think we can feel very confident that he'd be back and near full strength at the start of next season. If it's a complete reconstruction, I think it's pretty up in the air. Based on precedent, you'd expect him to be back and 100% healthy by November -- but I think it's highly debtable whether he'd have regained the athleticism / explosiveness that made him the #1 prospect. Never know with 100% certainty whether it will ever come back -- and, even if it does, this is not normally an injury that truly heals after year 1. In basketball, a torn ACL normally takes about 2 years for a player to get back to normal. Even if you look at Parker now, he's playing okay -- but he's still way out of shape and nothing close to where he would have been if the injury had not occurred. Still probably not even at the level he was last year at the same time. I'm hopeful Giles will still be ready and pretty good next season. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if Giles isn't physically ready to live up to the hype.

Both Duke and Giles have been pretty mum on the subject and will continue to be. A few people with insider knowledge have said it was only a partial tear and that the timetable is 8-10 months....give or take. Everyone is different.

I wouldn't expect the explosive Harry right away, but barring any setbacks people close to the situation think he could be good to go by late summer/early fall. We'll see.

Both Duke and Giles have been pretty mum on the subject and will continue to be. A few people with insider knowledge have said it was only a partial tear and that the timetable is 8-10 months....give or take. Everyone is different.

I wouldn't expect the explosive Harry right away, but barring any setbacks people close to the situation think he could be good to go by late summer/early fall. We'll see.

Interesting. Thanks for the update.

I don't know about on us, but Im sure Roy is letting Luke "lose" on the restaurants on Franklin Street.

I don't know about on us, but Im sure Roy is letting Luke "lose" on the restaurants on Franklin Street.

That Chinese Buffet on Franklin St. would have to close the doors when BIG LUKE MAYE and Kennedy Meeks dropped in. The restaurant OFC would loose a lot of money unless the meals are included with their scholly package. Maybe it wasn't the "nanner puddin" after all. OFC

Also Time Out there, which is the only kind of Time Out roy uses

What's going on? You're on a posting binge. By the way getting ready to go see the Williams/W.A. basketball game. Coach Cole is coaching both the girls and boys teams this year. OFC

ACL injuries are knee by knee. Anyone who does statistics on them will tell you that how it recovers is truly unknown for sure. I had a player who tore the ACL in both knees 2 years apart. One recovered well and in 10 months he player was back on the field "100%" full strength. Then the other knee after 12 months still would swell, hurt and get stiff. Several other MRI's were taken, PT was given 3 times and numerous Dr appts. There was scar tissue that developed, arthritis and just aches.

From all reports on Harry, he's doing extremely well and although it's very early in recovery, everything is ahead of plan.

Yes, his explosiveness might not be fully back, and how he gets lift on his jumpers or rebounding but none of it changes how he approaches the game. Harry as a 6-10 230 multi-dementional PF will be able to adapt. Maybe initially he's not a stretch 4 but does more work in the post. Who really knows, but in any end, he will be a stud at Duke and the probable #1 NBA pick.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT