ADVERTISEMENT

Duke's Top Recruiting Class dishes on expectations for next year

Love the chemistry already. They look like love having fun together.
If they’re already developing that type of chemistry already when we’re still about 4 months or so from practice starting and about 7 months from the season starting then I think developing chemistry with the rest of the team should be pretty smooth also. I laughed throughout the entire video because of how they were cracking on each other.

RJ and Cam on the wings is going to be ridiculous. Bolden and Zion down low. Tre running the point. Alex, Javin and Jack off the bench. I'm excited.

Need a better big man than Bolden. Not sure what is exciting about Marquass so far. Jones, RJ, Reddish, and Zion should be a force... 3 pt shooting might be a bit of an issue but the driving and slashing ability should make up for it.

Expectations should be tempered with this team. Whoever returns from the current roster will be the key to how successful this team can be. I like this group though and hope they can bring some noise. There’s a lot to like and there areaome potentially scary flaws like any team. Unlike this season though, this coming team plays more of K’s style so the adaptation won’t be so different.

RJ and Cam on the wings is going to be ridiculous. Bolden and Zion down low. Tre running the point. Alex, Javin and Jack off the bench. I'm excited.

Cam looks significantly taller than RJ or Zion even though all 3 guys are listed around 6’6 or 6’7. Be nice having a 6’8 SG in Cam Reddish. You can also tell that next year’s team will be as good as Tre Jones makes them. Despite being the lowest rated recruit, he seems to get along very well and has the respect of the 3 big personalities in Zion, Cam and RJ. Also seems like Zion and RJ are tight whereas there seems to be a pretty healthy rivalry between Cam and RJ.

Jones will have to funnel that into a positive direction on the court or it will be a bunch of guys wanting to play one on one ball versus team ball.

Reactions: christophero
Not buying in just yet... definitely have to see how they mesh and if they stay healthy... plus they have to learn to play Duke basketball! After the championship I'll be going through withdrawals...I hate the end of the college basketball season!!!

Expectations should be tempered with this team. Whoever returns from the current roster will be the key to how successful this team can be. I like this group though and hope they can bring some noise. There’s a lot to like and there areaome potentially scary flaws like any team. Unlike this season though, this coming team plays more of K’s style so the adaptation won’t be so different.
Bolden, White and AOC will definitely be key

RJ was knocking down his FT last night. Jones is good from the line. I assume Cam is too. Pretty sure Zion is decent to good from the line. We know Alex is good and Bolden will be good with regular time. Only problem I see is Javin.

That interview is so frustrating to watch. She acts as if Zion is the key to the class. I would say all the other three are more important to the class than Zion is. He is flashy yes, but come on, RJ is the best player in the class for a reason. I just hope it doesn’t cause friction as the other three seem pretty tight.

You know what else is frustrating? Cutting 6 channels of audio, adding highlights and staying up until 3am to edit :) Zion may seem like he’s the focus here but if you look at RJs body language, he didn’t want to be there at all. I took what I could get. I tried to make it as light hearted as possible so you guys had a chance to see their personalities.

There's always a critic Krysten :( . These guys have probably been hammered all week with questions, interviews, autographs, etc. Oh, and they are four 17 years old. You did a fine job, and I for one appreciated seeing them interact together.

Looking forward to what will surely be an exciting season!

Go Duke!

Alan

You know what else is frustrating? Cutting 6 channels of audio, adding highlights and staying up until 3am to edit :) Zion may seem like he’s the focus here but if you look at RJs body language, he didn’t want to be there at all. I took what I could get. I tried to make it as light hearted as possible so you guys had a chance to see their personalities.
Don’t you have a full time staff for those tasks? Lol. Thanks for the effort, it was great for us fanatics.

It was good - you could really see the chemistry and that those guys genuinely like each other.

Need a better big man than Bolden. Not sure what is exciting about Marquass so far. Jones, RJ, Reddish, and Zion should be a force... 3 pt shooting might be a bit of an issue but the driving and slashing ability should make up for it.

You don’t know how good Bolden will be and I’m almost positive he can be better than Azubuike is right now for Kansas.

Reactions: Swervin_Irvin_Duke
Need a better big man than Bolden. Not sure what is exciting about Marquass so far. Jones, RJ, Reddish, and Zion should be a force... 3 pt shooting might be a bit of an issue budt the driving and slashing ability should make up for it.
You must have not watched many games this year. Bolden showed MANY signs of being a dominant force. He would have started on almost any other team in the country, the problem at Duke is he was behind 2 of the best bigs in college basketball, and having 3 great bigs is pretty redundant. Bolden has a good chance to make an All-ACC team next year.

When Wendell fouled out on the worst call ever, if K chose Bolden instead of Javin for the last 2 minutes, I think we are playing on Saturday. Playing Javin forced Marvin to play the middle, killed our defense. Bolden would have protected the rim and we win.

Some of you better stop banking on championships every year. You’re going to drive yourselves crazy. Winning titles aren’t easy and the best team with the best talent doesn’t always win. Better enjoy seeing talented players because K will continue to recruit the best players like he has his whole career

You must have not watched many games this year. Bolden showed MANY signs of being a dominant force. He would have started on almost any other team in the country, the problem at Duke is he was behind 2 of the best bigs in college basketball, and having 3 great bigs is pretty redundant. Bolden has a good chance to make an All-ACC team next year.

When Wendell fouled out on the worst call ever, if K chose Bolden instead of Javin for the last 2 minutes, I think we are playing on Saturday. Playing Javin forced Marvin to play the middle, killed our defense. Bolden would have protected the rim and we win.

Coach K did plenty questionable calls this game. That combined with the rebounding is why we lost.

Hate to say it duke fans are starting to sound like Kent fans, always talking about next year . best talent don't always equal championships , how many elite players then Kansas, Virginia, UNC have they all beat us.

Another summer and Bolden will have a counter to go along with his nice hook shot (it was money when he was allowed to work downlow). Bolden will have a nice year, Javin needs to decide if he wants to be a 3 or a face up 4 (he is a 4), needs to also develop a primary back to basket move. Jack will have an excellent season for us next year if he keeps the same trajectory of development. He got tic this year and did positive things.

This team wont be sh*t, if it can not defend without fouling playing man to man.

You don’t know how good Bolden will be and I’m almost positive he can be better than Azubuike is right now for Kansas.

Oh cmon - "almost positive he can be better than Azubuike is right now for Kansas"... At least be objective man.

Bolden in no way, shape, or form is better than Azubuike. That's disrespectful to Udoka.

Hate to say it duke fans are starting to sound like Kent fans, always talking about next year . best talent don't always equal championships , how many elite players then Kansas, Virginia, UNC have they all beat us.

Yep, they all beat us. Only one of them accomplished more. Only one of them has a national championship the last decade. We have two. All that should tell you is that things aren't at rock bottom for Duke or their fans.

I watched almost every Duke game and clearly must have been watching a different player, which is fine.

I think he'll improve but to say "He would have started on almost any other team in the country" is just laughable and blasphemous. He got 1 vote for ACC 6th man of the year, so clearly it wasn't like he was some super sub and was just stuck behind Bagley and Wendell. 4 PPG and 3.5 RPG in 13 MPG is solid but nothing special or eye popping, as well as 4 PPG and 3.3 RPG in ACC play.

Look, Duke is possibly the only program that can say each year we have a good chance of going all the way. What more can we ask? It won't happen every year but we're in the mix. Much better than the schools where maybe once or twice a decade they have that type of team. I'll sign up for what we have every single time.

Look, Duke is possibly the only program that can say each year we have a good chance of going all the way. What more can we ask? It won't happen every year but we're in the mix. Much better than the schools where maybe once or twice a decade they have that type of team. I'll sign up for what we have every single time.

That's almost every blue blood. They all should be in the mix every year.

Reactions: tripleb71
For the third year in a row I’m thinking this might be the most talented Duke team ever. Unbelievable. They will cause a media frenzy like the Laettner days.

Yep, they all beat us. Only one of them accomplished more. Only one of them has a national championship the last decade. We have two. All that should tell you is that things aren't at rock bottom for Duke or their fans.
And only one of them got trounced by a 16 seed!

I kind of like the mix of players we have next year. We obviously will have a traditional point guard again who I think is very capable. Plus some guys that we know can score. Plus, I think Javin can make a leap and Bolden as well. I think these guys can come around defensively. WIth those guys and AOC/White contributing, I think we might have a pretty great mix of talent. It just may take some time to figure out what pieces work where and when.

Reactions: dbav

Bolden doesn't need to be a monster with this unit, we only need Bolden to be as good as Zoubek or Marshall Plumlee and do the dirty work. He isn't far off IMO.

Reactions: younggamechanger
Another summer and Bolden will have a counter to go along with his nice hook shot (it was money when he was allowed to work downlow). Bolden will have a nice year, Javin needs to decide if he wants to be a 3 or a face up 4 (he is a 4), needs to also develop a primary back to basket move. Jack will have an excellent season for us next year if he keeps the same trajectory of development. He got tic this year and did positive things.

This team wont be sh*t, if it can not defend without fouling playing man to man.

They’ll defend better because bolden is a better pick and roll defender. Pick and rolls killed us last year because Carter and Bagley didn’t understand how to play it as a big. I think Zion is more agile than Bagley

Oh cmon - "almost positive he can be better than Azubuike is right now for Kansas"... At least be objective man.

Bolden in no way, shape, or form is better than Azubuike. That's disrespectful to Udoka.

I said he CAN be better than Azubuike is for Kansas right now. You act like Azubuike is some star or something. All he does is catch alleys and every now and then he gets the ball in the post one on one. You put Marques in the post one on one with space and he can do better than Azubuike. Not to mention Azubuike can’t shoot free throws. You may be watching the games but you aren’t analyzing things. Azubuike would’ve been right on the bench like Bolden was if he was at Duke. Azubuike just had an opportunity at Kansas to play in a spread offense where he was the least worried about player. He hardly ever got double team and he was by himself in the lane with a defender

If you don't think Bolden will be really good next year you're out of your mind. And if you're a Duke fan and don't expect a national title every year you're out of your mind as well. Will we win it every year nope but we K has built something that *should* be able to produce one every year if things line up right. If that makes sense

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT