ADVERTISEMENT

Duke's Top Recruiting Class dishes on expectations for next year

It is going to be interesting to see which defense will be used the most next year. We should see a combination of man and zone. The reason I say this is because the incoming Freshman are thieves! Playing man last night, all four of the Duke recruits had steals, and in some cases, multiple steals. If you don't take care of the ball, they are going to make you pay.
As far as Bolden goes, and his talent, he will be better next year if he comes back (which he should). The only thing he is missing is the mental side of his game (confidence). He really surprised me this year and looking forward to his return. He has to turn it loose!
For Javin, he must try to get his emotions under control, because he has a really good floor game. His motor (which is great) gets him into foul trouble too much. Really like him a lot, and hopefully someone will work with him on his 5-15' shooting range, which is none existent. He must be made to shoot a kazillion shots in the off season from that range. :)
Alex, really love this kid. He will no doubt end up one of favorite Duke players before he is done. Love how aggressive and fearless his is, and he will no doubt be a fan favorite also. Get you a couple bags of burgers, young man!
Lastly, did anyone notice that the final four will be in Minnesota next year, a place that Tre is familiar with?! He was asked about it, and he said it is definitely on his mind. No, I'm not jumping the gun, but yes, even as an OF, I am already excited to see the 2018-2019 Blue Devils in action. It is going to be fun, folks!
Go Duke!
OFC

Reactions: dukesince91
Ok, I'll be the FIRST to admit, I've never been sold on Bolden, until the last month or so. He's growing in every aspect of his game. His confidence is soaring now. As long as he rebounds and plays D , everything else is gravy. He really turns the corner if he returns.

The funniest thing about how certain opposing fans are now saying that Zion isn’t as good as the hype is that they think he can’t be a good inside player because he’s only 6’5 or 6’6 but they seem to be forgetting about a player named Bonzie Colson that’s similar to Zion and he was a pretty damn good inside player.

It is going to be interesting to see which defense will be used the most next year. We should see a combination of man and zone. The reason I say this is because the incoming Freshman are thieves! Playing man last night, all four of the Duke recruits had steals, and in some cases, multiple steals. If you don't take care of the ball, they are going to make you pay.
As far as Bolden goes, and his talent, he will be better next year if he comes back (which he should). The only thing he is missing is the mental side of his game (confidence). He really surprised me this year and looking forward to his return. He has to turn it loose!
For Javin, he must try to get his emotions under control, because he has a really good floor game. His motor (which is great) gets him into foul trouble too much. Really like him a lot, and hopefully someone will work with him on his 5-15' shooting range, which is none existent. He must be made to shoot a kazillion shots in the off season from that range. :)
Alex, really love this kid. He will no doubt end up one of favorite Duke players before he is done. Love how aggressive and fearless his is, and he will no doubt be a fan favorite also. Get you a couple bags of burgers, young man!
Lastly, did anyone notice that the final four will be in Minnesota next year, a place that Tre is familiar with?! He was asked about it, and he said it is definitely on his mind. No, I'm not jumping the gun, but yes, even as an OF, I am already excited to see the 2018-2019 Blue Devils in action. It is going to be fun, folks!
Go Duke!
OFC

We need to get back to man to man, but I think zone can help buy some time. It probably needs to work like in 2015 where we utilized zone mid season and eventually got back to full on man to man.

The funniest thing about how certain opposing fans are now saying that Zion isn’t as good as the hype is that they think he can’t be a good inside player because he’s only 6’5 or 6’6 but they seem to be forgetting about a player named Bonzie Colson that’s similar to Zion and he was a pretty damn good inside player.

Anybody that says they wouldn't love to have Zion is either, lying, stupid, or doesn't know who he is.

Reactions: DiehardDukeFan4Life
FXGXe0K.jpg

I think this team will be better than 2017, bc Tre is a legit pass first point guard, who plays cerebral. I know it was a McDonalds all star game, but his decision making and precision post passing hasn't been something seen at Duke in a while. He was making decisive passes over long distance, and making the bounce pass to the post effortlessly. He will help a Marques Bolden live up to some of the expections by getting him opportunities to score in the post. Tre is the most important player in this recruiting class for Duke. If Trevon or Gary decides to return, this team could be really be special

Duke's offense will be alot harder to defend, bc they will be to spread the court more. It will open drive lanes with only one man predominantly in the post. And you have a couple of closer at the end of games. RJ is going to be tough to guard man to man at the end of games. Tre and RJ seem ultra competitive on both ends. It should become infectious over time.

Charles Barkley is 6'6. Dennis Rodman 6'7'.

I have seen Barkley listed at 6'4". Zion and or RJ at the foul line attacking a zone should work. Tre is the key. If he is solid from 3 and is the PG we think he is, this team will be very good on O.

Yep - however, Bonzie is a completely different player. He was a great mid range shooter and had an array of post moves. Zion will just out-athlete dudes in college and won't need to take that many jumpers honestly

Look, Duke is possibly the only program that can say each year we have a good chance of going all the way. What more can we ask? It won't happen every year but we're in the mix. Much better than the schools where maybe once or twice a decade they have that type of team. I'll sign up for what we have every single time.
That's what I told my dad when he asked how I was after the loss. Of course I would have preferred we won but we were contending and within a basket of the Final Four. That's exactly where we should be.

You want to know why this class is so special? Almost no one is talking about Cam Reddish. This guy is ridiculous and would be the crown jewel of any other recruiting class.

Reactions: BlueDaveil
Is this the Freshman thread? My impressions

1. Barrett: and he's Canadian? Our new Grant Hill
2. Jones: Tyus brother - vacillate but Ty was shot maker, will his brother?
3. Zion: might have to play PF
4. Reddish: haven't quite figured out

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT