ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS VIRGINIA OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Okay. Yeah, I mean I’ve been a fan for 13 seasons now so, I’ve only seen 2 titles. Expecting one every season is ridiculous. Sure I get upset when I realize we aren’t really in it or when we lose our last game but, the tournament is at most 6 games or 15% of the season. If you can’t at least enjoy the preceding 85% why even watch?

I know some here every game want to see Joey and or Alex more but bottom line is neither brings much to the floor...and IMO should be on bench except spot or mop up minutes...they bring nothing but a reputation as a shooter...but neither can make a shot
You need floor time to be able to make a shot. They aren’t the problem you’re making them out to be. Stanley, Goldwire, and Moore each played at least 20 minutes. They combined to score 12. Those 3 were 4-17 from the floor, and you say Alex and Joey can’t hit shots?? Alex played 3 minutes. Missed 1 shot. Hurt played 9 minutes and didn’t score. I find it very hard to believe in a game where offense was needed, Hurt, Baker and Alex couldn’t have helped in the 2nd half. Hurt didn’t play in the 2nd half and Alex went in real late and played 1 possession. Our rotations suck, and as a team we’ve gotten worse.
The LAST thing we need is for K to shorten his bench.
I’m leaning toward pointing the blame at the lead man in the suit.

You need floor time to be able to make a shot. They aren’t the problem you’re making them out to be. Stanley, Goldwire, and Moore each played at least 20 minutes. They combined to score 12. Those 3 were 4-17 from the floor, and you say Alex and Joey can’t hit shots?? Alex played 3 minutes. Missed 1 shot. Hurt played 9 minutes and didn’t score. I find it very hard to believe in a game where offense was needed, Hurt, Baker and Alex couldn’t have helped in the 2nd half. Hurt didn’t play in the 2nd half and Alex went in real late and played 1 possession. Our rotations suck, and as a team we’ve gotten worse.

AOC does add some driving which I think we could have used to loosen the interior of UVA's defense on Vern. He may not be consistent but he does not lack courage to take it to the rim

I'm talking all year man not just tonight ...Alex and Joey have had 2-3 good games all year combined...but all I hear is how they should play more because they can shoot...lol laughable

Sorry I'm a realist pal...I will be rooting for duke every game but this team can't and won't win the title...take off the blue shades
I dont have on any shades, but I'm also not gonna get pissed because they lose. I was a realist at the beginning of the season and expected five or so conference losses. Anything can happen in March but if not, it's not the first tourney we've lost. I just hate seeing people so riled up over things like this.

A team that is 23-5 shouldn’t be ranked?? What shouldn’t happen is you sharing your opinion around grownups
We have won exactly one game vs a top 25 team since December 4th. We have lost to three unranked teams in our last four games. Two of those where complete blow outs that where not even competitive games. We should of lost to UNC another terrible team this year, and we where fortunate to pull out very close wins vs Syracuse and BC the second time...also not very good teams this year.

Nothing about this teams play since December screams Top 25 team...absolutely nothing. Everyone wants to hang their hat on the Kansas win....that was in November...

Do I believe we are a Top 25 team...Yes

Do I think we deserve to be ranked inside the Top 25 currently...No

I have said this but will say it again, I don’t think people are upset with the record and not winning every game but it is the way we are losing and what appears to be a lack of coaching. In my 30 years of being a Duke Basketball fan I have not seen K sit and watch as much as I have this year. I may be wrong but who knows.

Bingo. I can take losing if another team is better than us. I can't take a team not learning from mistakes and stupid plays after a timeout.

Reactions: pisgah101
We have won exactly one game vs a top 25 team since December 4th. We have lost to three unranked teams in our last four games. Two of those where complete blow outs that where not even competitive games. We should of lost to UNC another terrible team this year, and we where fortunate to pull out very close wins vs Syracuse and BC the second time...also not very good teams this year.

Nothing about this teams play since December screams Top 25 team...absolutely nothing. Everyone wants to hang their hat on the Kansas win....that was in November...

K-coach there is no sense in getting in an argument with the guy DukefanKY, that started calling me names a month ago because I said this team was a 3 or 4 seed. He called me “dumb bird” whatever that means. He was wrong then and is again.

Reactions: tripleb71
3 seed right now but if we get a favorable 2 seed and the one seed gets knocked out...who knows? but we will need some help.

I'm talking all year man not just tonight ...Alex and Joey have had 2-3 good games all year combined...but all I hear is how they should play more because they can shoot...lol laughable
You don’t even get it. You can’t play 18 minutes one game, 6 the next, 12, then 8 and expect to produce.
What I’m getting at, and read slowly so you’ll understand, is we only have 2 guys that get their points every game. The rest are suspect. This was a night where some of the minutes Stanley, Goldwire, and Moore got should have spread out a little to Hurt, Alex, and Joey. No one can play good if they worry about making a mistake. That is a big problem. Tre is loose, and he makes plenty of mistakes.

The real frustrating part is it’s become an annual thing to regress. Maybe we turn it around, but I can’t say with confidence we will.

Inconsistent minutes leads to inconsistent play...BUT...some are getting consistent mins and just doing nothing to help us. What play do we run to get a wide open shot for a 3pt shooter? Do we look for a mismatch like posting up Hurt or Stanley on a smaller player? I think UVA did that tonight with Huff, and showed a good game plan. He was the difference....we didnt adapt and really had 2 options for points. Not a recipe for long term success.

You don’t even get it. You can’t play 18 minutes one game, 6 the next, 12, then 8 and expect to produce.
What I’m getting at, and read slowly so you’ll understand, is we only have 2 guys that get their points every game. The rest are suspect. This was a night where some of the minutes Stanley, Goldwire, and Moore got should have spread out a little to Hurt, Alex, and Joey. No one can play good if they worry about making a mistake. That is a big problem. Tre is loose, and he makes plenty of mistakes.

The real frustrating part is it’s become an annual thing to regress. Maybe we turn it around, but I can’t say with confidence we will.

Maybe you should be the coach....or maybe the players should man up....I understand blaming coaching but some of the blame is on players too...it's the world we live in...its to give the kids the easy opt out

Reactions: dukesince91
Inconsistent minutes leads to inconsistent play...BUT...some are getting consistent mins and just doing nothing to help us. What play do we run to get a wide open shot for a 3pt shooter? Do we look for a mismatch like posting up Hurt or Stanley on a smaller player? I think UVA did that tonight with Huff, and showed a good game plan. He was the difference....we didnt adapt and really had 2 options for points. Not a recipe for long term success.

Exactly...even when they get good minutes and still don't produce some think they should play more because they may score more

I know state blew us out but what was the second one? The double ot loss?

Exactly...even when they get good minutes and still don't produce some think they should play more because they may score more
Eh...and when they do get minutes and produce they still don’t play..See JRob last games MVP and this game DNP...what’s the rationale in doing this consistently to players?

Jack White 1 min....Jack White 14 min...

K does this consistently....it’s the literal definition of flinging poo and just hoping to hit on something. There isn’t a plan...isn’t a rotation it’s as clear as clear has ever been.

Eh...and when they do get minutes and produce they still don’t play..See JRob last games MVP and this game DNP...what’s the rationale in doing this consistently to players?

K does this consistently....it’s the literal definition of flinging poo and just hoping to hit on something. There isn’t a plan...isn’t a rotation it’s as clear as clear has ever been.
Bingo. You are on a roll tonight posting facts. This rationale by K makes zero sense

I cannot imagine how frustrating it is for the players. A consistent and organized line up will beat a non-consistent line up with more talent in a lot of match ups. You develop a team mentality. That is why our 2010 and 2015 team were able to overcome their shortcomings. It was a short bench, but each player knew what to expect. Its ironic that in past seasons, I among them, we have said more should play..yet this year it seems more rotation is maybe our weakness

I know this is captain obvious but I’m most concerned that we are 30 games in and I think we were clearly better at the beginning of the year.

Not a good sign.....problem is after Tre and Big Vern it’s literally the deep blue sea....we just have zero consistency.

Who knows, maybe they will cancel the NCAA tournament due to Coronavirus. The talks are already starting

Good grief go to bed son

I know this is captain obvious but I’m most concerned that we are 30 games in and I think we were clearly better at the beginning of the year.

Not a good sign.....problem is after Tre and Big Vern it’s literally the deep blue sea....we just have zero consistency.

Haven't you heard? Its because Jack Alex Joey and JRob don't play 35 min a game...its all coaches fault...not players

But Mac! You know if they don’t show it in practice they don’t get no PT pretty easy to understand ;)

Reactions: Mac9192
Would be even more hilarious if they did cancel the tourney for Coronavirus and just hand the trophy to a team like Kansas after our late season collapse

Would be even more hilarious if they did cancel the tourney for Coronavirus and just hand the trophy to a team like Kansas after our late season collapse
After reading some of this stuff it sounds like they are getting a plan in place to play the games in empty stadiums if need be.

That would be so weird watching silent games on TV, but it makes sense to get it done.

You would be able to hear the coaches and players...and refs...might be very insightful. May need a delay for language though! And the players could hear the commentators talking...that would be funny!

The past few years, many on here complain that Coach K should play more players. This year he plays more and now people want him to play 7 or 8. Besides Tre and Vern, who has actually shown they should play 30 plus minutes? I saw at least 5 missed layups and about 5 unforced turnovers. Add to that some questionable calls (especially the charge call on Jack). We didn't go after offensive rebounds. We still had a chance to win at the end and came up short. Virginia is not great, but they do play great defense and I thought their home crowd was outstanding. If only Coach K could have willed the team with more emotion and drew up a game winning play, we would have won. It was a team loss, but we should expect more from these kids after 28 games.

The past few years, many on here complain that Coach K should play more players. This year he plays more and now people want him to play 7 or 8. Besides Tre and Vern, who has actually shown they should play 30 plus minutes? I saw at least 5 missed layups and about 5 unforced turnovers. Add to that some questionable calls (especially the charge call on Jack). We didn't go after offensive rebounds. We still had a chance to win at the end and came up short. Virginia is not great, but they do play great defense and I thought their home crowd was outstanding. If only Coach K could have willed the team with more emotion and drew up a game winning play, we would have won. It was a team loss, but we should expect more from these kids after 28 games.

Not me I want 11 to play!

Reactions: dukesince91
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT