ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS PITT OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

We have just got to quit falling so far behind. It takes everything out of us to come back. Hope we get that kind of game from Johnson for the rest of the year. On to Louisville!! GO DUKE!!
OFC

In order to blame Baker he has to stay in the game longer . If he’s not an ACC player then neither is Brakeafield, Tape, Coleman, Goldwire .
But yet we just let a three star player go to 33 on our five stars so I guess their three star is the ideal ACC player I’m lost.
My last point no need for Duke to recruit big men. Got three no real play and Hurt couldn’t guard my daughter.
i agree Hurt just does not play hard on defense and is late on every play

Reactions: sheyduke
It seems like Goldwire isn’t as good defensively without Tre. I though he and Moore would clamp down this year, but it hasn’t really happened. It’s fun to watch when they play passing lanes and get out on the break, but it just doesn’t happen enough.

Slow starts, lack of early energy, all around bad decisions (shots, passes, fouls etc) have just outweighed our great 2nd half efforts! I fully trust in a normal year K would have had this group competing like everyother year, unfortunately the lack of normalcy and continuity has just been to much. I really like this team, and remain hopeful they see Indy.

Its odd to me seeing people so negative, I didn’t think we would see a season this year. Glad to have Duke basketball, K on the sidelines etc
GO DUKE

Capel will be the next head coach at Duke!

Think we should start a thread about it? Kidding. Capel has done a great job with Pitt. Happy for him. Tonight's loss was a tough one to swallow. Loved the fight from this group after going down 15. Just didn't quite have enough to get over the hump. Plus, I think Jalen's fifth foul sealed the deal. Great effort from him though. This group is still searching to find itself. It may take having to win the ACC tourney to get in the big dance if they stay on their current course.

Game recap and main takeaways. It is a shame this spectacular performance from Jalen did not result in a W.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Game recap and main takeaways. It is a shame this spectacular performance from Jalen did not result in a W.

Nice points. Where does this group go from here?

OAD is not the blueprint for making FF runs. They can be fun to watch at times but you will not hang banners unless you have talented upperclassmen to lead!
We had Zion and RJ. No way we should’ve lost with the clear two best players in college basketball that year. That was on coaching. Zion should’ve averaged 30 a game. He was an unstoppable force but Coach K let RJ almost double him up on attempts. That’s coaching

Reactions: wcu1113
People may as well realize this team is awful...roach trying to do too much all night long...other than jalen we were terrible....hurt is so weak he just gets bullied by 6'6 guys...he may get drafted but him playing in NBA is laughable

tough, but saw some good things......Champagnie was just on it from start to finish and no let down....if johnson facilitates does moore become the winslow four as hurt would need help in the paint if johnson is out more??

What keeps me positive is the fact that we could be 5-0 right now. We came back in last two loses down to
1 with 4 to go and lost both and it was two
Teams tied for first

It's tough to go down 8-0 in the first few minutes, and then come out flat in the second half and have them build the lead to 15. The slow starts are killers. Jalen just cannot foul out on a cheap reach in with 4 mins to play in a tight game where he is playing so well. Champagnie had himself one heck of a game start to finish.

This has been and will continue to be a rocky season. In positive news, this team continues to show fight and the ability to come back from down double digits, they just can't get over the hump. Moore showed some confidence last night, gosh it just feels like he is half a step away from making a HUGE leap in his game. Jalen showed the dominant player he can be. The zone D was rather effective, and it was a nice twist, something to keep in the toolbox for the future when we are getting burned continuously by layups.

Just like all the young teams that rely heavily on freshman, I think we are feeling the pain of a very abbreviated preseason schedule. We will win more ACC games, and we will improve. We still have 12 (or 14) more ACC games on the schedule. Lots can happen. There are flashes of what this team can be!

Let's Go Duke!

Too Soon to give up on the year but they can't afford to have any more "pauses". At this point, I would start Roach, Goldy, JJ, Hurt and Moore. Bench needs to be short - DJ, Baker and Brakefield.

Williams is weak and Tape is a statue on Defense. There is hope for Williams but not any time soon.

Coaching needs to be better. The zone was laughable. I have coached middle school teams that played and communicated on the back end better. It would also help if the guard opposite the ball would drop to block consistently.

This team needs to play man and pressure full court. On offense there is no identity but they can now build one around JJ.

Johnson is the only guy that is talented and tough. To me, our issue is we aren’t tough. Hurt is soft, hate to say it. Baker seems to play to not mess up, resulting in him messing up.
Wish they played with a chip on their shoulder. Johnson was really good. He seems to be the only one that looks like losing bothers. I know they don’t like to lose, but there’s a difference in playing to not lose, and hating to lose.

You can tell with the great ones: Laettner, Hurley, Zion, Battier. They despised losing.

We had Zion and RJ. No way we should’ve lost with the clear two best players in college basketball that year. That was on coaching. Zion should’ve averaged 30 a game. He was an unstoppable force but Coach K let RJ almost double him up on attempts. That’s coaching
Agree with you how can team with that much talent not make final 4 beat by bad Michigan state team. Starting wonder if k will ever win another championship.

Agree with you how can team with that much talent not make final 4 beat by bad Michigan state team. Starting wonder if k will ever win another championship.
Zion was 2-5 on FT against MSU and had 5 turnovers.

Zion was 2-5 on FT against MSU and had 5 turnovers.
And RJ missed a FT to tie with less than 10 seconds left. That team also wasn’t as talented as people remember. Yes, Zion and RJ were amazing, but the rest of that team wasn’t nearly what was expected.

I don’t think effort is a problem with this team… Nobody is slacking or jogging back on defense I think guys go really hard and give a lot of effort. The problem is we just are who we are… We have one superstar in Jalen Johnson and the rest are just pieces… Hurt is a nice piece don’t get me wrong but I don’t think the guys is an elite shooter - he’s not a great defender and I’m not exactly sure what he’s gonna do with the next level most draft boards don’t even have him in the top 60 anywhere.

He’s a great second or third option but the rest of the guys just aren’t ready to compete at the top level night in and night out just yet. I definitely think we are a top 25 team probably somewhere in the 13 to 18 range with Johnson back and everybody clicking but we just have no shooters and no inside post game it’s basically give it to Johnson and let him create. I do agree that I’m happy Duke is back and we get to watch some assemblance of basketball… I don’t get as bent out of shape on losses anymore...maybe I’m just old now but I do think they were gonna be in a much much better situation next year but I am curious as to who will be back… Moore would have to go overseas to get any pro roster spot and I’m just not sure Hurt would see any playing time sure he might get drafted somewhere super late but I don’t see him contributing at the next level just yet.

Obviously the team has several shortcomings but I do see potential, we will just have to be patient with them.

Ive stopped short of saying it because of being frowned upon but Goldwire absolutely cannot play 30 minutes.He has improved a ton but he is still not good. He is at best a situational player.

Our best 5 are Johnson, Hurt, Steward, Roach, and Moore. Beyond that there’s very little to be honest. Brakefield should be 6th man but I’m beginning to think those 3s he hit early in the year were flukes. But he does bring more total than Baker or Goldwire.

I see promise especially if everyone or most come back. Having Banchero and Griffin will make it much better next season.

Some will probably leave, probably Hurt, but none will do much unless a lot changes. Moore’s offense isn’t good enough, Steward is way too slight to do much and short. Roach I think will be a verygood college player but not so much pro.

I believe next year could be a very good team. This year could come together enough to make the NCAAT and maybe win one or two, or NIT.

ETA: This team has just about zero court awareness on defense. That’s one reason why there are so many easy baskets given up. If you don’t have court awareness you’re always late, or they’ve already scored.

Too Soon to give up on the year but they can't afford to have any more "pauses". At this point, I would start Roach, Goldy, JJ, Hurt and Moore. Bench needs to be short - DJ, Baker and Brakefield.

Williams is weak and Tape is a statue on Defense. There is hope for Williams but not any time soon.

Coaching needs to be better. The zone was laughable. I have coached middle school teams that played and communicated on the back end better. It would also help if the guard opposite the ball would drop to block consistently.

This team needs to play man and pressure full court. On offense there is no identity but they can now build one around JJ.

Sorry but Baker needs to be on bench with williams and tape....he brings nothing to the table...except for a basket every 4-5 games

I keep hoping that the light will go on for Roach and Steward. 2-14 for 3 point shots, many of them early in the shot clock or forced, tell me that they have a false confidence in their shot compared to the other options on the court.

Roach doesn't seem to recognize that he is maybe 3rd or 4th option on the court. First half he was ignoring Hurt as opposed to trying to set Hurt up by driving and dishing to him.

I didn't realize that really, only one guy hurt us on defense, and the other guy got his points at the foul line. Doesn't say much for our interior defense or rebounding. I can't remember the last time I saw our guys look for someone to box out when the shot goes up. If you think that's a lost art, watch West Virginia play. They form a wall around the ball. Even in a zone Duke should be able to find guys and put a body on them.

Not giving up yet but I'm not seeing a lot of improvement in those areas.

We outplayed Pitt for 32 minutes of the game, we lost the game during the first 4 minutes of each half. It's now gut-check time, no more tinkering with lineups, no more "young team needing games to develop chemistry," we better start winning or there isn't gonna be a March for us.

About the only positive thing I have is Jalen Johnson is back, and he looked GREAT. We need him to be our best player. Those blocks he had when we were in zone were "next-level" type plays that no one else on our roster has the raw ability to do. He's oozing with talent, and it was nice to see him finally put it together.

I'm gonna be blunt, Hurt can score 20 points a game and still be a net negative to the team. His defense IS that bad. K couldn't go man because as soon as we did, they singled out Hurt and attacked him EVERY SINGLE PLAY. I hate how when he hasn't had a shot in 5 minutes he shoots it as soon as he touches it, I hate the top of the key three when someone is right on him. I hate the fadeaway when he posts up even more. I hate his lack of toughness near the rim, I don't think he has gotten an And-1 yet this season, think about that.

Hurt isn't even the main problem though. Our biggest problem is the way this roster was constructed. Neither Hurt nor Johnson can play the 5 (with success) and they are both 4's. Steward and Roach are great, but they are small and hurt our defense. Wendell is suppose to be this swiss-army knife that can play multiple positions, and he was pretty good last night, but he's still been bad overall. Don't even get me started about Baker.

Perhaps we have 5 star guys who are overrated, or at least need a couple years to be ready for prime time. That's not a crime. It's hard to guess right every year. If these guys leave early (not including Johnson in this), before they are ready, it's on them.

And RJ missed a FT to tie with less than 10 seconds left. That team also wasn’t as talented as people remember. Yes, Zion and RJ were amazing, but the rest of that team wasn’t nearly what was expected.
We had 4 first round picks out of that group. We played a bad system and the offense wasn't balanced. There was a major lack of actually coaching that year. We ran a 5 out offense like we were Golden State. We put our worst shooter and true floor general in the corner to show off his weakness. That was Coach K worst coaching season

We had 4 first round picks out of that group. We played a bad system and the offense wasn't balanced. There was a major lack of actually coaching that year. We ran a 5 out offense like we were Golden State. We put our worst shooter and true floor general in the corner to show off his weakness. That was Coach K worst coaching season

We get it. You think K has lost a step. Maybe you should coach the team? I don't think K is free of criticism. But that team in '19 was two horses, Zion and RJ. Cam should've been the 3rd, but he never clicked all the way completely.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
We get it. You think K has lost a step. Maybe you should coach the team? I don't think K is free of criticism. But that team in '19 was two horses, Zion and RJ. Cam should've been the 3rd, but he never clicked all the way completely.

Typical response when anyone dares to question a K decision or his coaching...."yeah I'm sure you could do better" BS....give it a rest he isn't perfect as much as some think he can do no wrong

We have just got to quit falling so far behind. It takes everything out of us to come back. Hope we get that kind of game from Johnson for the rest of the year. On to Louisville!! GO DUKE!!
OFC

Duke teams in the past have been able to overcome slow starts, this team just does not have the firepower to do so. Just can't afford to fall behind early anymore. If they can avoid another bad start, a win over Louisville would not surprise me.

Typical response when anyone dares to question a K decision or his coaching...."yeah I'm sure you could do better" BS....give it a rest he isn't perfect as much as some think he can do no wrong

Dude, all you do is complain on here. Rarely do I see you give an optimistic response to anything that occurs with K or the team. Yeah, K is the GOAT. That doesn't mean I don't question his decisions or think he makes mistakes. That said, I would rather have him coaching than any of the arm chair coaches here or anyone else coaching in the NCAA today for that matter.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
We used to laugh at other unorganized teams now we look like the dysfunctional, underfunded high school basketball team. just glimpsing at other teams play around the country i can judge by the way they communicate and play with each other-they just want to win. Somehow with some of these kids that come here to Duke i wonder if winning is secondary to looking cool, goofy hair, social equity and tattoos. trevon Duval thumbs upping his dunk following a UNC loss. these are the kids we are recruiting. Bring back the kids that want to win. this is NOT Duke basketball

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT