ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS MIAMI OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

200.gif

I’m just LOL - you really only have 7 guys that can play high level D1 ball so it’ll bite ya....

Unbelievable bad stretch with a 3 point lead. After a really good comeback the last 2 minutes.

This Duke team could really use a PG to go along with some legit 3 point shooting.

Roach - at least right now - is really neither a good 1 or 2. He just does not match the rest of the talent on the floor (not his fault). He is a guy at this level of talent and stage of play you only want off the bench for 10 minutes. Unfortunately he's a 30+ minute player. As it is he is a liability.

I’m lost the last four years even with Covid Duke has regressed in January. I’m lost . How do you not learn how to stop back door cuts in four years . It’s like a lay up line in practice.

I’m convinced we’d be 10x better running Miami’s offense. Let’s chuck jumpers against a team running 4 guards. The amount of steals were insane, but another day of the good old do whatever you want Duke offense takes the cake for me

Reactions: sheyduke
This is why Duke never wins the ACC regular season, they lose games they shouldn’t at home. Well I see another second place finish in the ACC regular season coming up. Horrible loss

Reactions: Leo2Wes and KDSTONE
Unbelievable bad stretch with a 3 point lead. After a really good comeback the last 2 minutes.

This Duke team could really use a PG to go along with some legit 3 point shooting.

Roach - at least right now - is really neither a good 1 or 2. He just does not match the rest of the talent on the floor (not his fault). He is a guy at this level of talent and stage of play you only want off the bench for 10 minutes. Unfortunately he's a 30+ minute player. As it is he is a liability.
I don’t trust any of these guys hitting outside shots with the game on the line. Moore missed good looks Roach misses layups Keels is better driving pretty good midrange while bakers getting splinters in his ass

How is it Duke gets five stars yet our five stars get beat up by unknowns .

Roach needs to find some heart because he was ranked way higher then Moore but could not stop him period.

Reactions: Leo2Wes
I don’t trust any of these guys hitting outside shots with the game on the line. Moore missed good looks Roach misses layups Keels is better driving pretty good midrange while bakers getting splinters in his ass
Can’t blame any Kid when K is only playing six or seven players. I’ve yet to understand the ,” we recruit for practice players.” Why recruit them just have walk ons ride the pine.

The limitations are familiar, similar to all these individually talented teams...no PG, no defined offense....poor defense collectively when they need to be disciplined. We have 3-4 of these games every season...Miami, FSU, Vtech etc...where we lose to an older, organized and motivated team. Doesnt matter in Jan...hopefully we can be better by March. Its deja vu.

Reactions: KDSTONE
In game adjustments are horrible. And way too many turnovers, that really killed them tonight. Miami had 11 more shot attempts. 17 turnovers is unreal, piss poor ball control

Bad loss. Don’t understand how they continued to beat Duke on back door cuts. Simple coaching by Miami. Duke never adjusted, so keep running it.

Our guard play is bad right now. So is Banchero. He’s not physical enough, and his defense is weak, at best.
All this size, and we don’t use it to our advantage.

I know K is one of the best, but Laranaga was better tonight.

Reactions: KDSTONE and Leo2Wes
That's it. Comprehend and you are right. Sometimes I can't comprehend what I post myself. At least you didn't use senile pos which is what some of the thr faithful used to describe me. LOL. OFC
Noooo I got enough sense to know your mind just gets ahead of your fingers lol

We didn’t have Mark Williams In up 74-71….then…then….we didn’t have him in on the free throw for the rebound…

Piss poor coaching decision at the end there, just piss poor.

Why do you only show up with your expertise when we lose. I think you are a piss poor Duke fan but that's just my opinion and I know I'm going to end up regretting this post because the main reason I don't post here like I used to is because of Duke fans like you. There I said it. I won't say anymore about it. OFC

No Duke plays down to their competition. Miami didn’t play this great game or hit a ton of three’s. It’s a typical Duke loss like they always seem to have. They always have these let down games. And in saying that Miami could win the ACC now and wouldn’t surprise me. But Miami is not a great team, probably top 25ish.

PG play...its always key to winning games.....Miami is guard heavy...just 11 of their shots were from positions outside of PG....we were 5-19 from our PGs...teams that are successful have good guard play, definitive guard play...we don't and haven't on any team since we had the Jones brothers. This team has no identity at that position. It showed up in this game and will in others when our positionless system doesn't hit on all cylinders. I'm no fan of that as its hurt more than helped Duke BB over the last several or more seasons.

We’re everybody’s super bowl
A course when your the only ranked team in the conference. I mean that excuse doesn’t mix . Dukes everyone’s super bowl . So how is it Dukes talent doesn’t show up every game ? I mean your in the Super Bowl because you won what you needed to win .

A course when your the only ranked team in the conference. I mean that excuse doesn’t mix . Dukes everyone’s super bowl . So how is it Dukes talent doesn’t show up every game ? I mean your in the Super Bowl because you won what you needed to win .
I agree. We were everyone’s super bowl 20 years ago. We’d still kick the crap out most teams we played.

I think covid played a big part in this loss. Team is a step slower than they were before the covid pause. Hard to ignore that with what we saw on the court tonight. Still had our chances to win and couldn't close it out. Great thing about this loss is that it's a teachable moment. This isn't the end of the season. We got a lot of work to do, but it's fixable. It's January. Let's all calm the **** down and let it play out.

• Haha
Reactions: CarolinaBlue5
We haven't been ourselves since the long break. We played had against a bad GT team and if they played decent, we would have lost the other night as well. I still don't understand why we didn't have Williams there at the end after Miami called their timeout. They were scared to drive when he was in there.

The limitations are familiar, similar to all these individually talented teams...no PG, no defined offense....poor defense collectively when they need to be disciplined. We have 3-4 of these games every season...Miami, FSU, Vtech etc...where we lose to an older, organized and motivated team. Doesnt matter in Jan...hopefully we can be better by March. Its deja vu.

Because coach k has been trying to fit a square peg in a round hole since 2015. I’m not confident . We’re going to have a successful regular season. Pretty good acc tourney finish and then more than likely be a sweet 16 ncaa team or lower. I don’t mind losing games, but not when we shouldn’t . This was an easily winnable game that WE ourselves made challenging.

Reactions: Player2020
We haven't been ourselves since the long break. We played had against a bad GT team and if they played decent, we would have lost the other night as well. I still don't understand why we didn't have Williams there at the end after Miami called their timeout. They were scared to drive when he was in there.

Definitely needed Mark in there at the end. But, is what it is.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
I think covid played a big part in this loss. Team is a step slower than they were before the covid pause. Hard to ignore that with what we saw on the court tonight. Still had our chances to win and couldn't close it out. Great thing about this loss is that it's a teachable moment. This isn't the end of the season. We got a lot of work to do, but it's fixable. It's January. Let's all calm the **** down and let it play out.
This is where I can’t agree. If your going to have 18 plus turnovers after Covid layoff you do it against GT not Miami . Half the turnovers were player initiated . Not to mention they were able to practice since the gt game. So not only physical but mental leaves you as well during Covid? You play basketball your whole life and forget how to make chest passes?
that’s right it’s January. Every loss hurts Duke. No team is ranked in the ACC so how do you bolster your tourney resume? Dukes two losses will hurt.
The one thing that can be fixed is the turnovers but the other , back door cuts has been the easiest thing to get against Duke in the last five years.

This is where I can’t agree. If your going to have 18 plus turnovers after Covid layoff you do it against GT not Miami . Half the turnovers were player initiated . Not to mention they were able to practice since the gt game. So not only physical but mental leaves you as well during Covid? You play basketball your whole life and forget how to make chest passes?
that’s right it’s January. Every loss hurts Duke. No team is ranked in the ACC so how do you bolster your tourney resume? Dukes two losses will hurt.
The one thing that can be fixed is the turnovers but the other , back door cuts has been the easiest thing to get against Duke in the last five years.

Miami is a good team. Definitely a Top 25 team. Ohio State is a Top 25 team now. Neither game should've been lost, but they were. Neither are bad losses though come seeding time. I think we're a #2 seed anyway. Never thought we would go 20-0 in the ACC. Could lose at Wake on Wednesday too. Wake is a good team. I do think covid played a part in being a step slower on defense. But, we can just agree to disagree.

Didn't something like this happen toward the end of the OSU game as well where weekends wasn't in there and we got burned?

I know we had a ton of foul trouble late in that game that hurt the aggressiveness of the team on defense. Not sure about the same scenario at the free throw line or not. But, it's possible that occurred.

Our issue, which will always be an issue, is our youth. Banchero will be one of the first few picks in the nba draft, but he has some weaknesses that show in the college game. We need him to be a man down low, but we don’t get that. And his defense is weak. Keels will most likely leave too. But, look how inconsistent he’s been. Moore may be a junior, but his play has slipped lately too.

I don’t get how we have all this size, but have no good balance. Our post play is weak, IMO. Especially for the talent we get.

These things can improve, and it’s possible they make the final four, but this is a movie I’ve seen too many times.

Reactions: sheyduke
We didn’t have Mark Williams In up 74-71….then…then….we didn’t have him in on the free throw for the rebound…

Piss poor coaching decision at the end there, just piss poor.
I pretty much never ever agree with your post, but I can’t figure this one out either. How was he not on the floor???

Covid break killed us tonight, let’s all be extremely thankful they are back to playing, Cameron seemed to be rocking. No time to piss and moan. Onto the next. Wendell needs to get back to his pre covid self NOW. Paulo needs to assert himself earlier starting NOW, Keels need to find away to score more efficiently NOW!
Quick thought: I’ve never been one to bang on roach, I actually think he does a lot of good. Tonight was a BAD night for him all around. AJ is stepping up each game- I’m wondering about a staring line up of Moore, Keels, AJ, Paulo, Mark?
All be alright - GO DUKE

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Went to the movies, came out, checked the score. Ugh. Right now North Carolina would beat us. Not what people want to hear but we need to toughen up inside. Hopefully it's just the Covid layoff but we seem to be missing something right now. 12-2 is not time to panic but we seemed to have regressed the last month except for AJ. I like Keels but he was 2 for 13. Someone needs to tell him he's not JJ Reddick. Moore has looked off too which is probably Covid related. With this loss the game at Wake becomes important.

Last edited:
Went to the movies, came out, checked the score. Ugh. Right now North Carolina would beat us. Not what people want to hear but we need to toughen up inside. Hopefully it's just the Covid layoff but we seem to be missing something right now. 12-2 is not time to panic but we seemed to have regressed the last month except for AJ.
What’d you see?

Reactions: christophero
West Side Story. It was great. My second time I'm a big fan of the original. it's also my dad's favorite musical, he grew up in Brooklyn in the 50's.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT