ADVERTISEMENT

Duke vs Kentucky to open season

A little off topic but I just watched the Mark Few DUI video. He really comes across as an arrogant, entitled jerk. I lost respect for him. He is downright dismissive and uncooperative to the officer.

And the response from Gonzaga, a Catholic school, was to suspend him for one exhibition game. I'm done sticking up for those guys, and I really hope we beat them. Can you imagine if Coach K had acted like that? It would be a media ****storm.

I thought he was suspended for 3 games. I'm not a big fan of him or Gonzaga, but he didn't come off that bad to me in the video. He was trying to avoid getting arrested, so he was dishonest, but other than that, not too bad in my opinion.

Reactions: IFaZe
He refused to get out of the car, he refused to take his hands out of his pockets, kept saying "let me call my lawyer." If I had done these things I imagine it would not have gone well for me.

He made a mistake by driving. Instead of owning the mistake and facing the consequences, he acted like a tool and lied about his knees and his ankles. Wasn't the worst interaction by far, but nothing about his actions is defensible.

I guess it's always jarring to see someone act so different from his persona. He seemed so aloof, and seemed to think he was above the law and was doing this guy a favor by talking to him. He seemed the opposite of humble, which is his reputation. No one is perfect, but I wouldn't send my kid to play for a guy who acted like that.

Reactions: KDSTONE
I guess it's always jarring to see someone act so different from his persona. He seemed so aloof, and seemed to think he was above the law and was doing this guy a favor by talking to him. He seemed the opposite of humble, which is his reputation. No one is perfect, but I wouldn't send my kid to play for a guy who acted like that.
Think he was arrested in Cour dAlein (sp) Idaho which is probably pretty close to Spokane but you wonder if the officer had any idea who he was. Other than Coach K and maybe Cal most of these guys aren’t the household names they think they are

Reactions: christophero
He refused to get out of the car, he refused to take his hands out of his pockets, kept saying "let me call my lawyer." If I had done these things I imagine it would not have gone well for me.
I can tell you as ex law enforcement after the first two refusals really wouldn’t care who he was at that point . 90 percent of the time Chris it wouldn’t go well for anybody which leads me to believe the officer knew who he was .

Couple of my thoughts…

Although UK will be the “older” team, I think Duke will come out looking more polished. UK just comes off as very, very raw to me (although I expect Cal will get them to play good D).

TyTy could be a problem. Recruiting rankings IMO get hung up too much on future potential but he definitely plays better than whatever he was ranked and will have a huge year. I wonder if they will try to get Mark out of the game with the high ball screen/switching. Would love to see Wendell picking him up and how TyTy would respond to length like that.

Brooks is a pretty good player and will be interesting to see who matches up with him. This is the type of game where Griffin could make a huge impact harassing a player like Brooks.

All that said and as will be the case in probably every game this season, they really do not have an answer for P5 other than to hope he gets into foul trouble. Also, shot selection is a big factor in early games and wouldn’t be surprised if UK jacks up a lot of 3’s when better shots could be available.

and lastly, I’ll actually be up there at Cameron Square Garden so looking forward to this!

I think we win, but this feels like one of those games that will be harder than we think. Kentucky will be fired up. Kentucky leads at halftime, but we wear them down and win by 4.

A reply to the Kentucky fan who suggested that the Garden will be all for Duke on the 9th.

I have been to many Duke games at the Garden. You get a large number of metropolitan Duke fans who largely sit on their hands until the team does something well. Then you get the Duke haters who show up in force and are loud. And you'll have a huge number of Kentucky fans since they travel very well, not having anything else in the world to do until next year's Kentucky Derby. They will be out in force.

So the "home court advantage" is not what you would expect.

Oh, and regarding Kentucky, it is a beautiful State to drive through.

A little off topic but I just watched the Mark Few DUI video. He really comes across as an arrogant, entitled jerk. I lost respect for him. He is downright dismissive and uncooperative to the officer.
Lol trust me K woulda been no different. EVERYBODY acts like that dunk:) Although he really wasn’t “drunk” was he? He wasn’t even twice the legal limit was he? I know technically he was but yea

A reply to the Kentucky fan who suggested that the Garden will be all for Duke on the 9th.

I have been to many Duke games at the Garden. You get a large number of metropolitan Duke fans who largely sit on their hands until the team does something well. Then you get the Duke haters who show up in force and are loud. And you'll have a huge number of Kentucky fans since they travel very well, not having anything else in the world to do until next year's Kentucky Derby. They will be out in force.

So the "home court advantage" is not what you would expect.

Oh, and regarding Kentucky, it is a beautiful State to drive through.
pretty much....duke fans....duke haters, and uk fans

Someone on DBR brought up a good point. There are a lot of new players on both teams, and you never really know how guys are going to do under the big lights.

Someone on DBR brought up a good point. There are a lot of new players on both teams, and you never really know how guys are going to do under the big lights.
It could go either way. I just hope it goes devils way. Could cal just leave already? Sick of seeing his slimy ass

It might help you to know that the mods correctly started the Lounge in order to keep political comments and debates from distracting from the threads which belong in a Basketball/sports website. So far, it has worked fairly well. Most of us stay away from the Lounge.

I was going to like your post until the PS. And I don't even post in the Lounge.

I think we are being set up by this writer's reference to referees controlling the game. He started early on the excuse making.

It is an important game for both teams after last year being subpar. I really don't want to go 0 and one after 2 years of misery. The line is us by 1.5 I hope coach is preparing them for a dogfight. Even if we get an early lead, don't let up. We need to be the ones with the chip on our shoulder.

Reactions: sheyduke
Never say never. He sins like the rest of us lol
YOU miss the point again. It's not that he is too good or righteous to do it, but that he is wise enough not to do it, what ever his inclinations, if any, might otherwise be. Don't throw him in the same bowl with you and me.

• Haha
Reactions: Fourteen44
YOU miss the point again. It's not that he is too good or righteous to do it, but that he is wise enough not to do it, what ever his inclinations, if any, might otherwise be. Don't throw him in the same bowl with you and me.
I’m well aware he’s too old to make those type of decisions now lol. Chill

I still say it will be close. I would take a 30 point win though. We should have enough to beat them. I forgot Gonzaga has a transfer from Iowa St. who averaged 17 a game last year. They are pretty loaded. I'm looking forward to that game.

Last edited:
I didn't mean that to be negative. we looked great, and I think we can beat Kentucky.

Talk about late - I was in Barcelona when Zion and company threw that magnificent beat down on Kentucky. And I still couldn’t get to sleep after the game, I was so pumped….

It is an important game for both teams after last year being subpar. I really don't want to go 0 and one after 2 years of misery. The line is us by 1.5 I hope coach is preparing them for a dogfight. Even if we get an early lead, don't let up. We need to be the ones with the chip on our shoulder.
The 2019-2020 duke team was hitting its stride and could have made a run before covid knocked them out Chris to be fair, that team was no worse than a 3 seed heading into the tourney.

Good luck tomorrow night and here’s to an injury free game. I think you guys get us but I could be surprised. I’m just glad the season is here. I got hit with covid today so I’m off work and I’m gonna set back and enjoy college basketball as much as possible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT