ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS KENTUCKY CHAMPIONS CLASSIC OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Intellectually, I favor Kentucky b/c of the # of 5 star veterans (to go along with their freshman class) - including Reid Travis (had not read about his transfer to UK til recently, #smh).

But, since I think it's impossible to call as the first game my pick is the score that forever crushes UK fans:

Duke 104
Kentucky 103

Reactions: DiehardDukeFan4Life
2011: Duke74 MSU 69
2012: Duke 75 UK 68
2013: Kansas 94 Duke 83
2014: Duke 81 MSU 71
2015: UK 74 Duke 63
2016: Kansas 77 Duke 75
2017: Duke 88 MSU 81

We are 3-0 against MSU, 1-1 UK, 0-2 Kansas.
We have never scored 90 in this event, maybe that changes tonight.

Last edited:
Man I’m walking around downtown and there are Kentucky folks everywhere. A bunch of Duke fans. A few Kansas fans and I haven’t seen a single michigan state fan.
I noticed the exact same thing! But I expected it, UK fans are the worst, it's gonna sound like a home game for them tonight.

Man I’m walking around downtown and there are Kentucky folks everywhere. A bunch of Duke fans. A few Kansas fans and I haven’t seen a single michigan state fan.
Is there a recommended bar near arena- preferably Duke fans in the majority?

I put it down on the podcast.

Duke - 86
UK - 80

We can’t afford turnovers and we can’t let them run out. If it becomes a track meet, their bench wins the game for them.

Our advantages: K on the sideline, and the never say die RJ/Zion combo on the court. If you get a chance, watch what RJ did in the U19 World Cup against a heavily favored, more talented US squad. And now Zion has learned how to actually handle the ball on the drive! Yeesh. Let’s Go Duke!

UK-87
Duke-80

Under the rim super experienced Reid Travis being the difference as far as one player and depth being the difference as far as team. Zion drops 20 plus but scores in spurts due to fatigue. RJ 20 plus but not very efficient

I put it down on the podcast.

Duke - 86
UK - 80

We can’t afford turnovers and we can’t let them run out. If it becomes a track meet, their bench wins the game for them.

Our advantages: K on the sideline, and the never say die RJ/Zion combo on the court. If you get a chance, watch what RJ did in the U19 World Cup against a heavily favored, more talented US squad. And now Zion has learned how to actually handle the ball on the drive! Yeesh. Let’s Go Duke!

Man, if that guy decides he is going to the basket, he is GOING!!!

Key = Foul Trouble. My greatest fear.

FT is sort of the overarching biggest weakness for Duke this year. Though, really, only Zion's foul trouble is key. We can more easily replace anyone else on the team. Cam can run the team fine in the absence of Tre, and RJ isn't bad as a primary ball handler in his own right. Cam and RJ can score, and Zion can get buckets as well, to say nothing of AOC's shooting.
But Zion's uniqueness will make this team go.
Tonight, our biggest concern is TOs (and dumb shots that miss badly, which will have the same effect as a TO). UK is built to run, and our transition D is likely to be our biggest weakness all year long. If we don't give them tons of run out opportunities, they'll have to beat us in the half court, and they won't like trying to do that.

I’m surprised to be hearing so little about Cam in reading about this event. Obviously the spotlight so far has been on RJ and Zion but Cam is just as capable of dropping 30 as those guys and I think could be the key to this game. If Kentucky is somehow able to figure out a way to pack the paint enough to neutralize some of Zion and RJ’s effectiveness we will need Cam to take over and make shots.

Conversely, I am more worried about Herro than probably anyone else on the opposing team. Travis and their other bigs will get their points inside but i don’t think it will be enough to beat us unless Kentucky is hitting 3’s. Herro has shown he can hit and create shots as well as anyone on their team.

Reactions: HonkeyT
Thanks ol' buddy (and I do mean OLD - Sorry I couldn't help myself :D:D:D)! Praying surgery goes well today, hope you're on the mend quickly and of course, GO DUKE!!!!!!!

I getting ready to update on my prayers needed thread. OFC

Go Duke.
No score prediction, just win baby!
Been wearing my Duke stuff all day here in Kentucky. Love getting those dirty looks

No turnovers, rebound the ball, 100% effort on D. The talent will do the rest. Let's have some fun tonight.

tat.0.gif

Reactions: timo0402
Please, Jav, don't poke anyone in the eye tonight.

Also, sorry if this is a dumb question, but why don't we have Zion jump for the opening tip?

Reactions: DukeDenver
Hate that this game won't even start till like 10. Ugh.

Retro Blue jerseys tonight! This is just another thing to get me absolutely pumped!

I will talk to you fella's tomorrow....or at half time, we'll see....

LETS GO DUKE!!!!!!!!

I think UK gets shellshocked. The only X factor is Reid Travis...who I like...just a little less now that he's at UK.

Duke 87
UK 73

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT