ADVERTISEMENT

Duke vs Arizona - No win, no Gameball

Positives:

This kind of game makes you tougher.

Made some good adjustments in second half.

Negatives:

Rebounding has potential to be our Achilles heel

Need improvement on interior D
Good post BluePhil. I would only add we need better 3pt shooting(8-23). Also we are going to have to figure out our rotation among our bigs, (specifically our 3rd big in addition to Flip and Mitch). Is it really Young (he didn't look good), Reeves (fair in limited stint), Sean Stewart (Scheyer said he thought he gave us a "spark")????

Long season, painful loss, but it's SOOOOOO early, this type of game will help us if we learn from it. We will need a 3rd big at times against bigger teams though, and it may be Stewart. Duke needs athleticism.

OFC

Last edited:
Only positive was Flip, that is it. Biggest negative was probably Proctor play. He is supposed to be a first round talent and he lays an egg in the big stage ( 8 pts, 5 assists and 3 turnovers). I was hoping for big things from him.
Tyrese had the biggest turnover of the game at 28 seconds on a travel in the lane, with Duke down one. If we could have gotten a lead on that possession.....

OFC

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
Thinking about the game, they knocked us back, and we had to exert a lot of effort coming back and we looked gassed at the end. We've seen this play out before. Tyrese will be a great player but he HAS to be more protective of the ball. We are still a relatively young team. We will improve. I'm not sure Mark is 100% yet. Credit to Arizona, they got it done. Surprised Blakes didn't play more, we could have used his toughness.

Last edited:
I don’t like the 3 guard lineup. It is going to look fun some nights, especially when the 3 ball is dropping but I just dont see that lineup getting it done consistently on the interior defense and boards.

Young is a limited reserve, who is not close to being Duke caliber.

Reeves is still an unknown.

Stewart is a 5 star, Mc Donalds All American, 6’9 about 230 lbs and is the best athlete on the team.

We don’t have RJ Barrett as a guard. Meaning we don’t have big guards who you can expect to help significantly on the boards.

Stewart is the key. You get him up to par and develop and he changes the complexion of this Duke team quickly.

A few quick thoughts:

-Jon made great adjustments at halftime. However, that out-of-bounds call to end the game was a head-scratcher.
-Flip is going to be unstoppable all year.
-How lucky are we to have a senior Roach back? He made huge plays the entire second half to give us a chance to win it.
-Young is a liability if he's out there more than 10-12 a game.
-Reeves or Stewart (hopefully both) need to develop for us at the 5 to have a shot at #6.
-Mark and Proctor both have to be better. Though I do think Mark was around 70% tonight. He just looked off at me. Proctor disappointed. Have to protect the ball better.
-Rotation. Who are we with all this talent? It's a long season, and I believe this coaching staff will figure it out.
-Caleb Love can go #$%@ himself. The amount of dick-riding he received tonight was sickening to witness for such a mediocre performance.

A few quick thoughts:

-Jon made great adjustments at halftime. However, that out-of-bounds call to end the game was a head-scratcher.
-How lucky are we to have a senior Roach back? He made huge plays the entire second half to give us a chance to win it.
-Reeves or Stewart (hopefully both) need to develop for us at the 5 to have a shot at #6.
-Mark and Proctor both have to be better. Though I do think Mark was around 70% tonight. He just looked off at me. Proctor disappointed. Have to protect the ball better.
-Rotation. Who are we with all this talent? It's a long season, and I believe this coaching staff will figure it out.
-Caleb Love can go #$%@ himself. The amount of dick-riding he received tonight was sickening to witness for such a mediocre performance.
I wish i could do more than one emoji lol i wanted to do the agree emoji, the love emoji and the laugh emoji for the Caleb Love remark lol

1. This team isn't close to being a top 5 team.
2. Young shouldn't play more than 10 minutes a game and CR should be getting tons of minutes right now to get him ready for March
3. Couldn't care less what Proctor might be in 5 years...he is massively overrated right now and hurts the team more than he helps. Tired of hearing how great he looks only to watch him come up small in games the vast majority of the time.... rant over

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Only_Blue
I don’t like the 3 guard lineup. It is going to look fun some nights, especially when the 3 ball is dropping but I just dont see that lineup getting it done consistently on the interior defense and boards.

Young is a limited reserve, who is not close to being Duke caliber.

Reeves is still an unknown.

Stewart is a 5 star, Mc Donalds All American, 6’9 about 230 lbs and is the best athlete on the team.

We don’t have RJ Barrett as a guard. Meaning we don’t have big guards who you can expect to help significantly on the boards.

Stewart is the key. You get him up to par and develop and he changes the complexion of this Duke team quickly.
You can't play three guards. That's just a reality. You can't play Flip at the Center. That's just a reality. It must be center as a committee. Reeves, Young, and Stewart have to be in the game with Flip.

A few quick thoughts:

Even if Proctor and Mark had bad offensive nights, the defense must show up. The problem last night was Flip playing too much time at the 5. Young was not horrible, just a bad matchup. Young will help the team in other games. Reeves and Stewart need to get ready.

Proctor IS NOT overrated. He will help this team more than he will hurt it .

Issue is like everyone said . For this team to excel it must play a big with Flip. If that’s Stewart or Reeves I’m fine with that but Duke is getting killed on the boards and our tallest guards are 6’5” and we only played them together I think twice last night .

Proctor IS NOT overrated. He will help this team more than he will hurt it .

Issue is like everyone said . For this team to excel it must play a big with Flip. If that’s Stewart or Reeves I’m fine with that but Duke is getting killed on the boards and our tallest guards are 6’5” and we only played them together I think twice last night .
No offense to anyone, but if you understand bball and the success of Flip last year and his success in the future, he needs a legit BIG with him. Flip is actually a natural SF/WF. He is just blessed to be 7ft. This idea of small ball is just a trend. The success of game for a team means they have a Center/Rim Protector.

Say what you want about the Joker, but when he needed to be a Center...that team won. I'm not comparing DUKE to Denver. I am saying our success will come with a Center(Reeves, Stewart, and Young), not Flip.

A few quick thoughts:

Jay Bilas was all over Caleb all night. It was pretty disgusting. Maybe Jay B likes older “chicken.” IYKYK

Also agree that if they don’t develop Reeves #6 will not happen this year

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Rewatching the game. I'll have some thoughts. That and a token will get you on the subway.
1. Please keep in mind this is our first big game of the year. I am not projecting, things will change, we will improve. But so will everyone else. I am just going by what I see. And I tend to be negative after a loss.
2. As others have pointed out, like 3 Crazies jumping at the tip. Crazies you suck. Pick up your game. Or we are just another arena.
3. Arizona looks physically bigger than us. At every position. To quote Bilas "Duke is giving up the paint too easily."
4. Mitchell blocked by Love. Seriously ?
5. That was not a lucky 3 pointer by Love at the end of the half. He had a clean look, and Proctor just weakly puts up a hand. Got to do better boys.
6. Flip single handedly keeping us in the game. He is a warrior.
7. Like our fight in the second half. McCain with some great play.
8. The Arizona PG is abusing Proctor. He has to do better. Getting beat on both ends. Roach stepping up big time.
9. Roach with a huge 3, we go up 2 with 2 minutes left. Where have I seen this movie before?

Last edited:
1. This team isn't close to being a top 5 team.
2. Young shouldn't play more than 10 minutes a game and CR should be getting tons of minutes right now to get him ready for March
3. Couldn't care less what Proctor might be in 5 years...he is massively overrated right now and hurts the team more than he helps. Tired of hearing how great he looks only to watch him come up small in games the vast majority of the time.... rant over
Good points on 1 and 2. 3 is just ridiculous. Proctor was great for us the last third of the season last year, and one of the big reasons we improved so much at the end of the year. Also, he was basically the only one who played well in our loss to Tenn, which I think has to be considered the most important game of the year.

Proctor just played bad last night. And I do worry a little that he might've come into the year thinking a little too highly of himself. He still has to prove it. That said he is and will be the best and most important guard on our team.

Good points on 1 and 2. 3 is just ridiculous. Proctor was great for us the last third of the season last year, and one of the big reasons we improved so much at the end of the year. Also, he was basically the only one who played well in our loss to Tenn, which I think has to be considered the most important game of the year.

Proctor just played bad last night. And I do worry a little that he might've come into the year thinking a little too highly of himself. He still has to prove it. That said he is and will be the best and most important guard on our team.

At this point in time he is absolutely overrated. He is not even close to being an elite guard. He is extremely inconsistent and quite frankly a below average shooter in real games. For a possible lottery pick He just doesn't bring it. No doubt he will be good in 5 years, but that doesn't help Duke.

At this point in time he is absolutely overrated. He is not even close to being an elite guard. He is extremely inconsistent and quite frankly a below average shooter in real games. For a possible lottery pick He just doesn't bring it. No doubt he will be good in 5 years, but that doesn't help Duke.
You're taking a pretty hard stance based on one game there Scary

Proctor turned the corner late last year. But I agree he may have been overconfident.

Last edited:
He’s not the only one. We’ve got posters saying we should have gotten a big in the portal, Young is killing us, Jon was outcoached…
I could buy this if these comments are being made in January. But we’ve only played 2 games. Simply put, we are a very spoiled fan base.
No matter what some say, I don’t think we can land the amount of top rated kids we did, and also think we can get a top rated player from the portal. In a year where we had 4 guys over 6-8 return, 2 of them 7’tall.

I have faith that Jon and the staff will address the concerns, and I predict we will be a better team sooner rather than later.

You’re wrong and I’d bet a lot of money on that

I do think he needs to be more aggressive on offense. Not worried about his shooting. Form looks fine, 38% in the second half of last season and was a 90% free throw shooter. I’m hoping this game lit a fire under him and he has a big game against MSU

Reactions: sheyduke
Yeah Proctor will be fine and is without a doubt one of our better players. No matter if Jon continues to start the three guard lineup, or more traditional two, he's a starter who will log major minutes.

1) flip can’t be the primary 5. Reeves did more in 2 minutes than Young did in 12, although he had 2 quick fouls.

2) Roach had a good game - I think if Proctor continues this play, Roach should take the reigns.

3) Flip was the best Duke player, Roach second. McCain was decent, Proctor and Mitchell….no bueno.

4) Stewart needs to play more at the 4. The kid brings energy. That said I see why he doesn’t get much burn as he was getting lost on D. Hopefully he figures it out quickly.

5) Doesn’t matter what I think - Jon runs the team lol.

One game? Where am I out of line here? He is projected by many as a lottery pick and yet for the most part he doesn't play like it. Do you think he is an elite college guard right now? Is he extremely inconsistent like I said? Maybe he becomes the stud at some point this year but at this time he is overrated.

Last edited:
Yeah, one game. Didn't say you were out of line, but if you're asking what led to my comment, it was saying he "hurts the team more than he helps." That's just shortsighted and emotional based on one game, for sure. Is he overrated based on projections towards the draft? Maybe at the moment. Then again, I doubt many of us saw Lively as a lottery pick at this time last year.

Personally I don’t think this Arizona team is a final 4 type team. They were more talented last year, and they lost in the first round to Princeton. I think it was a bad matchup for us, and we better get in the weight room or pray we have a lucky March schedule of a bunch of “space the floor” type teams.

Sometimes a wake up call is good. We almost seemed surprised at their intensity. We are going to get everyone's best shot; so sometimes an early loss can be good. Toughness is also an attitude; Nick Horvath gained a lot of muscle but never seemed to be a very physical player. We will learn from this. Last year's team didn't thrive until Lively came on, so we will have to find a way to get that production at the 5. Plenty of time to sort it out.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Geno Auriemma said this after his team's recent loss - "I think getting rebounds is just an attitude, and we've got a [expletive] attitude toward rebounding, because it's hard work," Auriemma said. "It's hard work, and everybody's got to be engaged in it."

I hope Jon is telling our guys something similar.

Blakes and Stewart are big physical guys. But you can't help from the bench.
Blakes is built like a truck. Stewart is still pretty thin and hasn’t been known as a physical banger in the post in HS and AAU, although he’s an athletic freak so that can be used today, just as he overmatched HS kids with his leaping ability. Reeves is also a physical guy though but looks like Jon may keep limiting his minutes….

Reactions: christophero
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT