ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Scrimmage Video- DBP

Looking forward to seeing this group on the court against competition. Seem to have good chemistry. Maybe this is the special team we have been waiting for quite a while. OFC

Reactions: christophero
Wendell as a slashing 2 could work, esp. if Roach and AJ can hit shots. Then Keels would have less pressure as a shooter off the bench.
I just don’t see Roach hitting multiple threes a game. If he’s open yes he’ll hit. Duke needs Roach to attack . That is his strong suit.
I don’t want to see this team jacking up a lot of three’s. I want to see them attacking, slashing to the basket and at the foul line hitting free throws. The more Roach ,Wendell, Griffin, Keels and even Baker and Blake attack the basket The more three point shots will be open.

Banchero appears to be a terrific teammate. He was too unselfish in this video. Passed up driving layups to pass to the 3 point shooter. Shot a fadeaway 5 footer against Griffin when he should have dunked on him. Easily corrected. It's great that he wants to pass

purely out of curosity, what is your expectation for wendell....i saw a kid who got 3 more minutes a game this past season and increased his ppg/rbs/stls/fg%/3pt%(by 9%) and decreased his TO slightly all while being the 3rd/4th option... 10ppg 5reb 3ast 1stl....i am hoping a jr wendell can get 14-15ppg 6-7reb 5ast....we'll see
I expect Terrance Mann in the playoffs for the Clippers out of him. If he can do that then we’re good. If he tries anything Moore, it won’t be pretty. Do you realize the numbers you just put up? He’s not doing that. He’s not that guy. He’s a glue guy.

I expect Terrance Mann in the playoffs for the Clippers out of him. If he can do that then we’re good. If he tries anything Moore, it won’t be pretty. Do you realize the numbers you just put up? He’s not doing that. He’s not that guy. He’s a glue guy.
cool, now Playoff Mann is more like the Wendell we currently have with the exception of that one 39 point game against the Jazz....he avg 4 ppg against Dallas, 11 ppg against Jazz, and 8 against Suns....true he is a more a glue guy, and like i said he has pretty much been the 3rd but more so the 4th option thus far...he should see more minutes this...maybe a 4-5 ppg increase should maybe be 2-3?, but 1-2 reb more and 2 more ast feeding P5 and Big Mark....id temper it down to 12ppg 6 reb 4ast...=)

Last edited:
cool, now Playoff Mann is more like the Wendell we currently have with the exception of that one 39 point game against the Jazz....he avg 4 ppg against Dallas, 11 ppg against Jazz, and 8 against Suns....true he is a more a glue guy, and like i said he has pretty much been the 3rd but more so the 4th option thus far...he should see more minutes this...maybe a 4-5 ppg increase should maybe be 2-3?, but 1-2 reb more and 2 more ast feeding P5 and Big Mark....id temper it down to 12ppg 6 reb 4ast...=)

That would be fine if he brings a calming influence to the younger guys, and plays + defense.

I think Moore is a very important player for us. Him and Roach and Baker. If they are solid we can be a final four team. I think our 3 point shooting will determine how far we go. Baker needs to step up. With no Baldwin/Brakefield/Coleman he will get opportunities. Keels too, but he's a freshman so I am not expecting consistency until his second year, if we get one.

Last edited:
I don’t think he will get more point just because he potentially will play more. AJ, Paolo and Mark will take plenty shots. Moore needs to stay right along where he is for shot attempts. We need him to use all his energy on defense. Offense we will be fine. Work on being a 3 & D player. If he plans on making the pros that’s the role he will have

I think we need more to be a solid overall presence and contributor. We need him to be pick his spots on O. Be that guy who sticks a dagger in the other team when they are forced to focus on Paolo, Mark, and AJ. Open 3s, put backs, smart cuts to the basket, and every once in a while going off, like he did in that one game last year.
That and good D and tough rebounding. Kind of like Nate James' senior year.

I think we just need Wendell to do a lot of the dirty work. He’s strong and rebounds really well. He’s shown to be average, or below, as a ball handler and shooter.
In my opinion, we need him to be the leader. You don’t have to score 20 a night to be that.

With Hurt and Goldwire gone, we need Moore and Baker to be our leaders. Esp. Moore as he will probably get 30 minutes a game. Theo John can help as another guy who has actually played in a road game with a hostile crowd.

Reactions: Dave Vass
With Hurt and Goldwire gone, we need Moore and Baker to be our leaders. Esp. Moore as he will probably get 30 minutes a game. Theo John can help as another guy who has actually played in a road game with a hostile crowd.
If he’s playing high level defense and making 3s he should definitely play 30 minutes. That should be his role. Forget ball handling and playmaking. Play lockdown defense and make open 3s when you get the chance

If he’s playing high level defense and making 3s he should definitely play 30 minutes. That should be his role. Forget ball handling and playmaking. Play lockdown defense and make open 3s when you get the chance
Defense yes , but IMO, Moore needs to attack the basket more. That’s his offensive strength. He can hit open three’s . I’d rather him attack the basket and make free throws. With all the athletic slashers on this team Duke should spend an ample time at the free throw line .

I was comparing our team 2 years ago with this year's team. That team was a sweet 16 type team. I did not think we were consistent enough for the FF, but you never know.
Center: Carey, Williams. even
PF: Banchero, Hurt. Big advantage to banchero. White started often.
SG: Moore, Moore. Advantage junior Moore (Stanley was the SG I know but easier to compare)
SF: Stanley/AJ even. I know people are going to say AJ but we don't know that.
PG: Tre vs. Roach. advantage: Tre.
So we should be better than that team, although our preseason predictions are usually glass half full.
The 2019 team was slightly deeper and more experienced on the bench, with Delaurier, White, Robinson, O'Connell, Baker, and Goldwire. That's a deep bench, although they didn't always produce. But we had options. And Robinson was playing great at the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: sheyduke
I was comparing our team 2 years ago with this year's team. That team was a sweet 16 type team. I did not think we were consistent enough for the FF, but you never know.
SG: Moore, Moore. Advantage junior Moore (Stanley was the SG I know but easier to compare)
So we should be better than that team, although our preseason predictions are usually glass half full.
The 2019 team was slightly deeper and more experienced on the bench, with Delaurier, White, Robinson, O'Connell, Baker, and Goldwire. That's a deep bench, although they didn't always produce. But we had options. And Robinson was playing great at the end.
Only thing I will say is Stanley was at the sg spot where as AJ is a true small forward so I probably would go Moore/ AJ and Stanley verses Keels.

Interesting comparison Chris. Knowing what we wound up getting 2 years ago, this year's team has more potential. Jack and Javin were so inconsistent. Alex and Joey, even more so.
Theo, if healthy, should be a very solid and consistent contributor. Hopefully, Keels easily surpasses the combined contributions of Joey and Alex. Joey this year should be way better than Joey 2 year's ago. Hopefully, 1st year Blakes is close to a 2nd year Goldwire defensively and much better offensively. More importantly, he performs at that level as or 9th man instead of getting the minutes that K felt he had to give to Jordan.
Lot of ifs here, but, knowing what didn't pan out 2 years ago. I would say this years team has much more potential.

Like the comparison. If you are going to give a big advantage to Banchero over Hurt, which I agree, better give a big advantage to Tre over Roach. Too me, that will be the most important position on this team.

Like the comparison. If you are going to give a big advantage to Banchero over Hurt, which I agree, better give a big advantage to Tre over Roach. Too me, that will be the most important position on this team.
Agree overall with your point, but remember he is comparing Paolo to freshman year Hurt, not last year. So I agree with Chris that it is a big advantage there. I also think that Tre would have a big advantage, and you're right, that position is key.

If 2 yrs ago Tre was on this year's team, we are #1 in the country hands down.
It looks like the PG position is likely to be our weakest link this year. Hopefully, Roach makes a significant jump and that is a relative weakness, not a true weakness.
As for Chris' comparison, this year's team has way more playmaking ability 2-5 than 2 years ago. Paolo, AJ, and Keels are way, way less dependent on a PG creating for them than Hurt, Javin, and Jordan. This year's version of Moore should also be less PG dependent. Additionally, last year's Mark was absolutely dominant down the stretch with last year's version of Roach and Wendel and Jordan. In all likelihood, Mark will have more playmakers around him and less defensive attention. So Mark's comparison to Carey is more likely to move positively in his direction than Vernon's. More so on the defensive side.
As always, we will see.

It is hard to tell with freshman though. We are projecting best case scenarios, or close to it, for those 3. We were expecting more out of Moore and Hurt, and perhaps less out of Stanley that year. Hurt was a top 10 guy and scoring machine. If Cam is the guy we thought he would be we cut down the nets. Zion exceeded. RJ, despite being very good, did not quite meet some expectations for the #1 high school player. He looked like a very good 3 point shooter in high school, as did Cam. If Bolden explodes Zions year we are unbeatable. That one game when he blocked everything. There are a lot of variables every year, injuries included. I realize I am nitpicking, but that is the difference between cutting down the nets and elite eight. Man we are overdue for some good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: df64 and skysdad
Seeing as I'm bored I will now compare this year's team to the Zion team, which reached the elite 8. That team could have gone further, but could have lost in the 2nd round as well.
C: Williams, Theo/Javin/Bolden. advantage Williams, although those 2 might have been able to contain MW somewhat. Williams way better on offense. Bolden might be the biggest Duke enigma ever for me.
PF: Zion/Banchero. Unknown, but gotta go with Zion right now.
SF: RJ/AJ. Gotta go with RJ. AJ would have to really impress to get close.
SG: Cam/Wendell. Advantage Cam, although it's close. Maybe even as we have Keels. If Keels is a knockdown shooter we may be better at this position. Cam a better defender.
PG: Freshman Tre vs. Roach. Even, maybe slight edge to Tre as he is more of a PG.
Slight advantage to the Zion team. The Zion team was unbeatable when hitting from the outside, beatable when we got cold, as we found out.

Last edited:
Chris, I agree with your analysis, except when I think of the Zion team standing around the perimeter with the defense laying back within 10 feet of the basket, with everyone afraid to shoot. There is a reason that team almost lost to USF other than Dawkins' kid going crazy.

I love to think that Bolden would have exploded if he came back, but likely it would have been more of the same. He seemed to have all the tools. Had nagging injuries like Zoubek. Playing for the Canton Charge currently. (Had to google that)

Last edited:
Zion's team had better players, but this year's team might have better balance. Tre, Cam, and Alex not being able to shoot from the perimeter killed that team.
If we can get 2 guys to be consistently good from 3 this year, I think the season long edge goes to this year. If this year's team has a similar level of injury problems as Zion's team, we are in trouble.

Williams going down could hurt a lot. Theo John is good to be a role player but not sure his body could handle big minutes. If that happens we will miss Coleman. We are almost never 100 percent healthy.

Reactions: timo0402
I think we will be fine given the make up of the current roster. I do think Theo was brought in to spell Williams and Banchero with the hopes of Bates being another insurance policy.
To help with front court issues Dukes back court will need to be physical and attack to keep double teams off the front court.
I get why some look at the Coleman leaving as a big issue but no one pushed him away .

I like the comparison/contrasting look of this years squad vs Zions. We are more balanced this year (i think) and deeper, but that team had more star power at the top. Paolo should be in the ACC POY and national POY all year though.

2nd scrimmage is on youtube. Some quick thoughts.
Keels looked better. Still bricked some threes, but got to the basket a few times and decent handle.
Baker looked very confident and hit several threes and had a nice drive. Is this the year?
Moore looked confident running the offense.
Williams and Banchero looked good as expected.
AJ was quiet.
Bates Jones is gonna help us. He is smart and solid. Reminds me of those old school Indiana kids. Even hit a 3.
Theo on bench the entire time. How healthy is he?
Roach looked good shooting it.
We looked a bit shakey handling the ball. Wendell and Roach are the starting guards.
Don't hate me for saying this but Banchero looks like Johnson with a jump shot. I mean that in a good way.
Blakes looked solid.

Last edited:
Yeah really think blakes looks like he belongs at least. Feel like i wanted to see more imorovement from Roach. Kinda looks the same as last year. Joeys shot looks effortless. He made a huge impact albeit scrimmages. Where was AJ? Pretty non existent. Keels is not the shooter some said he was. Big boy though

Keels showed some strong moves to the hoop, but he was missing bad.from outside. AJ I barely even noticed he played. Baker looks like Adam damn Morrison in scrimmages, time to do it in games. That Moore Keels backcourt looked good!

Last edited:
I took one thing only from this most recent scrimmage video... #5 is superior to all others.

Also good to see Grant and his family.

Reactions: timo0402
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT