ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Scrimmage Video- DBP

It is hard to tell with freshman though. We are projecting best case scenarios, or close to it, for those 3. We were expecting more out of Moore and Hurt, and perhaps less out of Stanley that year. Hurt was a top 10 guy and scoring machine. If Cam is the guy we thought he would be we cut down the nets. Zion exceeded. RJ, despite being very good, did not quite meet some expectations for the #1 high school player. He looked like a very good 3 point shooter in high school, as did Cam. If Bolden explodes Zions year we are unbeatable. That one game when he blocked everything. There are a lot of variables every year, injuries included. I realize I am nitpicking, but that is the difference between cutting down the nets and elite eight. Man we are overdue for some good luck.
You can’t be serious. RJ was a first team all American. He was the only player besides Zion that won any NPOY awards. Maybe he shouldn’t have been the big shot taker for the team but that’s not his fault. He was given the green light to do that

Reactions: geddoughton23
I thought of editing that part because it sounded harsh. But my point was RJ and Cam weren't the shooters we needed them to be. I mean we can point to Jack but he was practically a walk on. I think the 2015 class was more balanced, with a PG, a wing and a C.

Last edited:
RJ had a great year. Can't argue that. But he was a ball dominant player who attacked the rim with strength and aggressiveness when we already had Zion, who was even better at that. Additionally, his main weaknesses were the same as Zion's, outside shooting and free throws. We needed RJ or Cam to be better shooters to compliment Zion. Heck, even if RJ was just a better FT shooter, that probably would have been enough of a compliment to Zion.

Reactions: christophero
That team, with the issues we had, probably needed some luck to get to the FF. Once MSU advanced to play us I kind of knew we were toast the way we were playing. Ditto Kansas the year before. Experienced physical teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
RJ had a great year. Can't argue that. But he was a ball dominant player who attacked the rim with strength and aggressiveness when we already had Zion, who was even better at that. Additionally, his main weaknesses were the same as Zion's, outside shooting and free throws. We needed RJ or Cam to be better shooters to compliment Zion. Heck, even if RJ was just a better FT shooter, that probably would have been enough of a compliment to Zion.
I just don’t like the style we played that year. RJ just had too much of a green light and Zion was treated like he was the 2nd best player when we all know he wasn’t

I hope Theo John is able to practice more. He was on the bench in the last scrimmage. I know he didnt practice much the last few years but he already knew the system.

Reactions: geddoughton23
I hope Theo John is able to practice more. He was on the bench in the last scrimmage. I know he didnt practice much the last few years but he already knew the system.
I’m not worried about him he knows why he was brought in.
what I’m really liking is the competition in Dukes backcourt. I know people are going to drill me but Blake’s looks like he is putting in work . I know he might not contribute right away but he don’t look shy from contact.

I have no doubt Blakes will be a good player. The question is will be be happy be a role player for a few years. He and Roach and Keels could be a very good backcourt next year. I don't see Roach being NBA ready, but Keels does have the frame so if his shot heats up he could be one and done.

I have no doubt Blakes will be a good player. The question is will be be happy be a role player for a few years. He and Roach and Keels could be a very good backcourt next year. I don't see Roach being NBA ready, but Keels does have the frame so if his shot heats up he could be one and done.
Based on his high school coach he already know he will be a 4-5 year player. The kid understand where he is.

Whatever our struggles were with Zion's team were, what was our record against the teams in the FF that year? 5-1?
Additionally, if MSU wasn't allowed to blatantly hold Zion's jersey ( flagrant 1?), on multiples occasions, we are in the FF.
Look how much luck was required for UVA to win that title.

Luck and making free throws. :) And relying on a 3 to win is low percentage.
Giving the ball to Zion on every possession down the stretch would have been high percentage. Basketball is the easiest game to understand. Zion could not be stopped by any three college players. As a UNC fan, I remember hoping desperately that UNC would foul Barrett on the final possession of the ACC tournament championship. Zion didn't get the ball, but he beat Nassir Little for the rebound and win

You're digging up old wounds lol. Right up there with should Avery have taken the shot against U Conn.
Of course! I will never understand why Brand didn't take twenty shots. I was hoarse at the end of March, 1983 and 1984 from yelling "Get it to Jordan". To win a championship, you must abandon your usual tactics, and let your best player win the game

My favorite Marquette/cheater u game was the one in 1977. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT