ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Scrimmage Video- DBP

Thanks for posting! Only a scrimmage but a few thoughts.
1. Banchero and AJ look like the real deal. They both play under control and do a lot of good things.
2. Wendell looks like our leader. Glad he's back.
3. Baker looked solid. He just needs confidence.
4. Roach looked solid. Plays a bit like a SG though.
5. Where is Theo John? Frontcourt depth is a concern if he's hobbled. Coleman would have gotten minutes.
6. Williams looks good, as long as he doesn't try to do too much.
7. Blakes will be good. Looks like the backup PG right now, unless it's Wendell. Ready for a few minutes.
8. Keels might take some time. He'll be good but we might need to be patient. Not super quick.
9. I forgot about Worthington. He's another big body if we need one.
Nice to see our guys play.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
Thanks for posting! Only a scrimmage but a few thoughts.
1. Banchero and AJ look like the real deal. They both play under control and do a lot of good things.
2. Wendell looks like our leader. Glad he's back.
3. Baker looked solid. He just needs confidence.
4. Roach looked solid. Plays a bit like a SG though.
5. Where is Theo John? Frontcourt depth is a concern if he's hobbled. Coleman would have gotten minutes.
6. Williams looks good, as long as he doesn't try to do too much.
7. Blakes will be good. Looks like the backup PG right now, unless it's Wendell. Ready for a few minutes.
8. Keels might take some time. He'll be good but we might need to be patient.
Nice to see our guys play.
First, Timo thx for posting, really good look at our boys.Chris, good observations! I agree about Wendell. He looks so smooth and confident. I am really hopeful his outside shooting has improved, (appears it has). Also hope we can get some word on Theo. Really super video!

OFC

Reactions: christophero
great video!!!....no theo and bates in this session...wendell looked very good...seems the 2g spot should be his to lose

Someone on DBR mentioned Theo had class. Add him and we're good to go. Worthington looked decent, he is a junior and could provide minutes if we are desperate.

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
What I noticed was Moore going up against Roach at the pg spot. Didn’t really take much from this video outside the fact that everyone was playing defense. All the walk on’s were in so looked more like getting familiar with each other on the court

Six observations from the scrimmage:

My biggest takeaway, Moore needs to start at the point. Moore, Keels, AJ, PB, and Mark to begin the year? I think Roach can takeover at some point, just feel like Moore is the guy right now. Or do you go, Moore, Roach, AJ, PB, and Mark? We didn't get to see Theo or Bate Jones. KW has some nice moves and is big. He might see some floor in garbage time. Really missing DJ and Coleman for depth. I like Blakes handles. More athletic than I thought he would be. Keels looks a little slow out there. AJ and PB are ready now. If Mark is hitting consistently from beyond the arc...lookout world. Baker and Moore were talking out there on both ends of the floor and I loved that the most of anything I saw.

Blakes looks big enough to play the 2 if needed. Him and Roach could work in small stretches.

Hopefully relevant to nothing, but K looks a little heavy and appears to have a pronounced limp.

Someone on DBR mentioned Theo had class. Add him and we're good to go. Worthington looked decent, he is a junior and could provide minutes if we are desperate.

Theo has a video up now on the DukeMBB Instagram saying how excited he is and that he has had some class stuff going on

I think its Roach and Moore in the backcourt. We don't really have a true Pg, unless you count Blakes. Blakes and Keels a sold backup backcourt.
Roach is a true pg. he’s to small to be a combo so either he figures it out at the point or Duke is in real trouble because Moore is foul prone and the rest are frosh.

It is so hard to tell. We looked like a top 5 team in last year's scrimmage. Baker was scoring at will. I think Tape scored more than he did all season. We will know more when the Kentuckys and Gonzagas come a calling.

Last edited:
Reactions: sheyduke
Please feel free to ridicule me. I know that it's only July 13, but if you're going to have a practice, I want to see Intensity. I want to see the coach jumping all over a player, not stopping the scrimmage for a chat. I want former high school players in yellow jerseys who only play defense to torment Roach and Moore so they develop the fortitude displayed by Jose Alvarado last year

Moore looks really good. He needs to play PG. He needs to be pressed full court every day. Roach is a fine player, but I don't think that he is strong enough to start at PG for a national champion

Please feel free to ridicule me. I know that it's only July 13, but if you're going to have a practice, I want to see Intensity. I want to see the coach jumping all over a player, not stopping the scrimmage for a chat. I want former high school players in yellow jerseys who only play defense to torment Roach and Moore so they develop the fortitude displayed by Jose Alvarado last year
I'm just not sure that "jumping all over a player" works with these kids these days. They just seem different than kids of different generations. You can see it with other teams when a coach gets all over a player. Sometimes the player fires back, and sometimes they shut down. I think it takes takes a different kind of communication these days, and I feel like Jon is going to be able to connect with them really well.

I'm just not sure that "jumping all over a player" works with these kids these days. They just seem different than kids of different generations. You can see it with other teams when a coach gets all over a player. Sometimes the player fires back, and sometimes they shut down. I think it takes takes a different kind of communication these days, and I feel like Jon is going to be able to connect with them really well.
I'm sure K still can and will but you have to build trust with that player first. You come out at one of the first scrimmages and start berating kids or they are gonna hate you. When you have the capital to lay into them a time or two to really drive it home then you can

plenty of time for intensity...its coming, you def dont want injuries in summer pick ups basically

I don’t trust scrimmages for some players. Moore looked like all conference in scrimmages last year but in most games he was awful. He just might be a practice player until further notice. One thing I did like was Blakes ability to feed the post on some possessions. That’s a lost skillset

I see Moore as a slow developer. He has improved and hopefully he will take the next step this year. I suspect he wasn't ready for the competition against people his size when he got to college and had to reinvent his game.

Good stuff

There is just no doubt P5 will be in contention for NPOY honors - hope he touches the ball every play. Other players like Baker, Roach, and Keels can actually spot up with his movement. When Roach is hitting shots, other parts of his game start lighting up. And a guy like Joey needs someone like Paolo to free him up.

Blakes looks pretty serviceable as a backup/long-term PG too.

I see Moore as a slow developer. He has improved and hopefully he will take the next step this year. I suspect he wasn't ready for the competition against people his size when he got to college and had to reinvent his game.
This^^. In Moore’s highschool scouting report the biggest knock on him was how quick he could adapt to not being the biggest player on the court and adjusting to college players physicality’s.

I'm sure K still can and will but you have to build trust with that player first. You come out at one of the first scrimmages and start berating kids or they are gonna hate you. When you have the capital to lay into them a time or two to really drive it home then you can

Absolutely. And I am beyond sure he rolls the sleeves back when needed, just like I'm sure he would never embarrass a player by putting something like that on a video they release. That would never happen.

I don’t trust scrimmages for some players. Moore looked like all conference in scrimmages last year but in most games he was awful. He just might be a practice player until further notice. One thing I did like was Blakes ability to feed the post on some possessions. That’s a lost skillset
purely out of curosity, what is your expectation for wendell....i saw a kid who got 3 more minutes a game this past season and increased his ppg/rbs/stls/fg%/3pt%(by 9%) and decreased his TO slightly all while being the 3rd/4th option... 10ppg 5reb 3ast 1stl....i am hoping a jr wendell can get 14-15ppg 6-7reb 5ast....we'll see

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
purely out of curosity, what is your expectation for wendell....i saw a kid who got 3 more minutes a game this past season and increased his ppg/rbs/stls/fg%/3pt%(by 9%) and decreased his TO slightly all while being the 3rd/4th option... 10ppg 5reb 3ast 1stl....i am hoping a jr wendell can get 14-15ppg 6-7reb 5ast....we'll see

Maybe 12/6/5, but much more of a leader with and without the ball and a plus defender at two positions.

Maybe 12/6/5, but much more of a leader with and without the ball and a plus defender at two positions.
agree....and w/o the bonehead TO's....def need to shore up his handle....with his driving and excellent ft shooting , he needs to attack attack attack

I think second half Wendell and a more polished player over all. Would not surprise me if he’s the starting pg .

I just don't want to see ball-stopper Wendell like we saw the first half of last season and the season before.

I think he has developed enough of a set shot that he will keep defenses honest when he is the wing on Paolo/Mark's side of the court.

I guess we all agree that the key is Roach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT