ADVERTISEMENT

Duke baseball -- 2023 season

It's a joyous time!!! These Devils NEVER SAY DIE. I thought the game might be over after the Cavs took the 4-3 lead, but the resolve and grit of this Duke team had other ideas!!

I am going to enjoy this one tonight, but it's back to the rockpile tomorrow. Our work is not yet done. Remember Pollard's motto: "Blue Collar!!"
#DukeBaseball

OFC

If Duke wins the SR, the sports gods paying Duke back for the huge mistake back in February in Charlotteville...

Anyway, we shall see if the Wahoos can recover from this absolute devastating loss. I think the announcers said something to the effect of Virginia was undefeated when leading after 6 innings. if we led from the beginning, this would be an easier loss to shrug off. But the fact that they retook the lead and we took it back in the eighth, added to that they were dead sure they walked it off. Add to that they have 5 losses in Hooville and 3 are to us. And we are the home team tomorrow.

And us having pitchers basically pitch once through the lineup (if that), it is hard for hitters to get in a rhythm. Duke is giving up less than 4 runs a game in the postseason. Take out one swing vs CC and the fact Duke was told just to throw strikes in the ninth up 12-0, you are looking at 2.4 runs a game...

Last edited:
If Duke wins the SR, the sports gods paying Duke back for the huge mistake back in February in Charlotteville...

Anyway, we shall see if the Wahoos can recover from this absolute devastating loss. I think the announcers said something to the effect of Virginia was undefeated when leading after 6 innings. if we led from the beginning, this would be an easier to shrug off. But the fact that they retook the lead and we took it back in the eighth, added to that they were dead sure they walked it off. Add to that they have 5 losses in Hooville and 3 are to us. And we are the home team tomorrow.

And us having pitchers basically pitch once through the lineup (if that), it is hard for hitters to get in a rhythm. Duke is giving up less than 4 runs a game in the postseason. Take out one swing vs CC and the fact Duke was told just to throw strike in the ninth up 12-0, you are looking at 2.4 runs a game...
Take out Charlie B and they’re probably averaging like 1 run a game

Anyway, we shall see if the Wahoos can recover from this absolute devastating loss. I think the announcers said something to the effect of Virginia was undefeated when leading after 6 innings. if we led from the beginning, this would be an easier loss to shrug off. But the fact that they retook the lead and we took it back in the eighth, added to that they were dead sure they walked it off. Add to that they have 5 losses in Hooville and 3 are to us. And we are the home team tomorrow.

And us having pitchers basically pitch once through the lineup (if that), it is hard for hitters to get in a rhythm. Duke is giving up less than 4 runs a game in the postseason. Take out one swing vs CC and the fact Duke was told just to throw strikes in the ninth up 12-0, you are looking at 2.4 runs a game.
Nice post kwyj. I had forgotten the highway robbery in February in hoops in C-ville. Yes, retribution like a trip to the WS would be SWEET!!

The psychological effects you noted are really interesting. Hopefully UVA is starting to wonder if Duke has their number. OFC

Reactions: smashmouth5
Yeah I think I said it earlier. I bet he was great earlier but he doesn’t have it right now . But after today he has to be shelved , probably for the rest of the tourney
But then i saw a team up 11 with one out and no one on in the bottom of the ninth and lose, turn around and win the next day for a regular season title. So you never know... Baseball is such a weird game at times.

Reactions: hart2chesson
But then i saw a team up 11 with one out and no one on in the bottom of the ninth and lose, turn around and win the next day for a regular season title. So you never know... Baseball is such a weird game at times.
Almost first pitch of 2nd game time fellas. Lock in and let's get this 2nd W today!!! OFC

Why are we switching with 8 pitches? Guess we’re saving hm for tomorrow?

What a stupid change. We battle back and immediately lose to a hr 8 pitches later . Wtf was pollard thinking

Who’s left to pitch tomorrow? Thoughts on the beasely/ Boucher switch? Why was it made?
Might see Higgins start. Healy pitched three Friday. Maybe he's got an inning or two. Proksch, Oschell and Tallon should be fresh. Beasley, as noted, should be fresh. Weaver? Romano hasn't pitched for awhile. Probably a reason.

Last fall Duke thought they had at least two guys who could be quality ACC starters. But they lost Luke Fox to an arm injury last fall, Johnathan Santucci to the same in March. And there are several other pitchers who have been shut down, Allen, Santos, Conte. Who knows if any of them might have been the answer.

I think Pollard/Fitzpatrick made a bad call today. But hindsight. 20/20 and all that. What they're trying to do is darn near unprecedented, getting to Omaha without a single starter capable of getting out of the sixth inning.

Probably going to need lots of runs tomorrow. Whatever mojo Duke had in Conway last Monday, they'd best put out an APB to find it for tomorrow.

Agree with what Jim said re: pitching.

Maybe if I'd been more hands-on with coverage I'd feel more comfortable criticizing Pollard/Brady Kirkpatrick's use of the pitchers but I just don't know recovery plans, matchup strengths, etc.

Boucher's usage has been inconsistent. He threw 43 pitches against Coastal last week; that was his first time over 21 since late April, and after that appearance in April he didn't pitch for more than two weeks. So it's hard for me to say with conviction that he should've gone longer yesterday.

I'm sure everybody is available today other than Alex Gow.

Reactions: ioliva
You have first and second and no outs, your three whole hitter, and you do not bunt? If Duke wins this game, the failure for Virginia to even force Duke into a position where a wp/pb is a huge reason…

Going back to beilinson… why not beasely? Did great yesterday only pitched 8 times. Beilinsons been down right terrible the past few weeks

Just like that 3-0. Almost as if the coaching staff knew we couldn’t win why try? Beilinson has been done since last week. Should’ve started with oschell

Just like that 3-0. Almost as if the coaching staff knew we couldn’t win why try? Beilinson has been done since last week. Should’ve started with oschell
Agreed, cannot believe we went to Beilenson. Why is he still in at 5-zip??? OFC

Reactions: ioliva
What a joke. Beilinson loads the bases twice in a single inning. Not sure why the staff felt he should be second man up. 30 pitches in the second inning. Glad we got out of it down 5 instead of 8 but that’s pretty much the ball game.

Although he started rough, why not give Higgins a chance to work out of it again?? He pitched out of it in the first. Oh well damage done, 5-zip headed to 3rd. C'mon Duke!!! OFC

Finally seeing their pitcher struggle. Watch Virginia take him out quick unlike dukes staff

Although he started rough, why not give Higgins a chance to work out of it again?? He pitched out of it in the first. Oh well damage done, 5-zip headed to 3rd. C'mon Duke!!! OFC
Nah he was terrible he threw sooooo many balls. The problem is who we went to next. Prosch would’ve been better

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT