ADVERTISEMENT

Duke baseball -- 2023 season

ConorONeill

Cameron Crazy
Staff
Aug 13, 2021
College baseball season always pops up on me -- here's a preview for Duke's season.

For the record: I always think college baseball teams that are young and unproven, with little expectations, tend to have the most-rewarding seasons. Duke certainly fits those categories this season.

I'll try to have coverage updated in this thread throughout the season. Until basketball season ends that's going to be fairly light, but I'll have deeper coverage as interest dictates.

College baseball season always pops up on me -- here's a preview for Duke's season.

For the record: I always think college baseball teams that are young and unproven, with little expectations, tend to have the most-rewarding seasons. Duke certainly fits those categories this season.

I'll try to have coverage updated in this thread throughout the season. Until basketball season ends that's going to be fairly light, but I'll have deeper coverage as interest dictates.
Enjoyed it Conor!! You will have lots of interest here in Duke baseball. Coach Pollard has really built a solid program, and I love the enthusiasm he brings to the game. Last year I really think was just a hiccup, and we will bounce back this year!

I am a Duke fan in ALL SPORTS, so I enjoy anything you contribute here on baseball, our excellent women's softball team, men's lax, and of course Duke spring football!!

OFC

Duke's weekend rotation:

Jonathan Santucci - Friday
Adam Boucher - Saturday
Alex Gow - Sunday

There's some info on Santucci in the preview; Boucher was a solid reliever last season (4.29 ERA, 50 Ks in 35 2/3 innings); Gow is a two-way player and grad transfer from Kenyon University, a D-3 in Ohio.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Enjoyed it Conor!! You will have lots of interest here in Duke baseball. Coach Pollard has really built a solid program, and I love the enthusiasm he brings to the game. Last year I really think was just a hiccup, and we will bounce back this year!

I am a Duke fan in ALL SPORTS, so I enjoy anything you contribute here on baseball, our excellent women's softball team, men's lax, and of course Duke spring football!!

OFC
hart,
you have to change your name for baseball season. hart2hysong works.
OFC

Here's a recap of last night's opener:

Duke 16, Saint Joseph’s 0

Seven of Duke’s nine starters drove in at least one run, led by Alex Stone’s three-run home run in the first inning that started the season on a high note.

The Blue Devils blew the game open with the five-run 5th, getting RBI singles by Jay Beshears and Josh Solomon, a couple of Duke’s seven transfers new to the team.

Duke scored twice more in the 6th and had a five-run 8th that cushioned the season-opening blowout.

Luke Storm, Beshears and Stone, forming Duke’s 2-3-4 hitters, were a combined 6-for-11 with nine runs scored, six RBI and three extra-base hits.

Jonathan Santucci got the shutout effort started on the mound with four innings, allowing two hits and a walk while striking out nine. Freshman lefty Owen Proksch relieved him with three innings, allowing one hit and one walk, and another freshman, Gabriel Nard, pitched the final two innings.

Reactions: Willcampbell
Recap of Game 2:

Duke 2, Saint Joseph’s 1

On Saturday, Damon Lux hit a sac fly to score Jay Beshears in the bottom of the 8th to clinch the series win.

Beshears, who had three of Duke’s seven hits, led off the 8th with a single and moved up on a throwing error and wild pitch. Lux’s sac fly went to deep centerfield and was the second out of the inning.

Duke’s other run came on a single by Beshears that drove in Alex Mooney in the 1st.

Adam Boucher pitched four scoreless innings to start the game, striking out five and allowing two hits and two walks. Charlie Beilenson recorded a pair of 1-2-3 innings in relief, and then Saint Joseph’s tied the game against Ryan Higgins.

Freshman James Tallon recorded the save, striking the side in the 9th while working around a one-out single.

Reactions: skysdad
I figured we would crush Liberty on Wednesday and we would have a shot at top 25 by taking two from Baylor this weekend. Guess I'll stop figuring.
OFC

8-3 a very nice start, especially with the sweep of Baylor. But, man, the ACC schedule will be brutal. As of today, there are seven ACC teams ranked in the top 25, and we are not one of them. Gotta win some of the series and avoid a sweep.
OFC

Duke has to have the top scoring offense in the country right?

Local guy pitches for wake Josh Hartle. Played basketball some with his dad younger days. Pro prospect
I cover Wake Forest also; it was pretty shocking that he wound up there at all. The shortened drafts because of COVID and the shrinking of the minor leagues have really provided college baseball with an influx of talent it wouldn't have had otherwise.

Reactions: Willcampbell
I cover Wake Forest also; it was pretty shocking that he wound up there at all. The shortened drafts because of COVID and the shrinking of the minor leagues have really provided college baseball with an influx of talent it wouldn't have had otherwise.
6'5 left handed and has excellent control. Growing up he always wanted to play at Wake

Three game sweep of #12 Louisville this past weekend should get us into the top 25.
And thank you, Conor, for your weekly recap.
OFC

Reactions: ConorONeill
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT