ADVERTISEMENT

Difficult Loss & Moving Forward

youngman42

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Frustrating loss when you have such a great stretch of play.

Obviously, #1, FT shooting was horrible. 5-11, 45.5% is really bad but, what is arguably the most frustrating aspect in college basketball - and a team killer - is missing the front end of 1 and 1. That's the Cardinal Sin in CBB. And we missed the front end of all 3 1 and 1s we had in the 2nd half. Just atrocious. They should be shooting 200 a day this week, lol. I mean, K needs to state it plainly: you miss FTs and you will not win the NCAAs.

The turnovers are not as frustrating against UVA as two other items:

#2 - need to take better shots. Especially against a good defense. While Carter and Bagley are great players you just can't waste possessions by bad 3s - particularly Carter and Bagley. We aren't playing Northern Illinois St.

#3 - The defense of Gary Trent, Jr. Not everyone played well (Grayson is in a shooting slump; but, then so was Trent in this game - that's a concern but that can change quickly). However, I saw some bad D by Trent early and started watching him carefully the rest of the way - not only is he more often than not just lazy on D, he just stops playing D and doesn't even think about boxing out when he's on backside D. UVA got a number of 2nd chance points, and back door plays because Trent is just lazily watching the play. He just doesn't have consistent intensity on D. He doesn't look to box out on shots (esp. when he's on the backside of the zone). Trent may be a 1st round draft pick but whoever drafts him needs to let him know if he wants to get on the court he needs to wake up on D. It actually might be a good idea for K to give him a good chewing out and not start him against ND - then get him in about 2-3 minutes in. He needs to realize that what he does, wherever the play is

In a two point loss, a series of lazy plays on D or rebounding, combined with FTs, make a big difference.

Positively, I don't know that Marvin Bagley, Jr. will be the best player to come out of Duke but imo he's the best freshman Duke has ever had. And, Wendell Carter is an awesome player as well (but, hell, make your FTs, young man!). What I love about both those guys for freshmen, is their intensity on both the offensive and defensive ends. You really can't ask for much more from those two. Arguably the best two rebounders of any freshmen Duke has had since ... well ... since I can remember.

I really love that K is willing to go to the zone. We play much better when we go zone, imo. And, we flashed a lot of good play against the #2 team in the nation. If Grayson can get out of his shooting and offensive funk, if Trent can play with intensity on the D end, and we can improve at FT shooting ... we'll have a shot.

Missed FT’s, Duval bone head play at end, and 15 turnovers cost Duke the game! Defense and offense was extremely poor on the first half also!

Reactions: GillJET
Nothing wrong with Grayson and his shooting. I think it's all mental. I would have him watch video of Michigan st game and the Tar Hole games from last 2 seasons. He's too freaking passive. To me it's that simple. I want to see the aggressive Allen like those games, not this catch and look to always pass Allen.

Reactions: jcdevilfan
My thoughts... Duke has the best 2 low post guys but need one other player to be on that day to win #6

Reactions: youngman42
I never thought I'd say this about a Duke team, but I wish we had some more production from our shooters.

Reactions: pisgah101
UVA got us at a time when both Duval and Grayson were struggling going into that game. I'm still optimistic that we are a final four team.

I see some reasons for optimism. Defense is improving. We didn't go long stretches of forgetting we have the most dominant big tandem in the game. And we all know Gary and Grayson can shoot lights out and Treyvon can be a top five PG in college basketball. If we hit our stride at the right time I would not bet against Duke.

Reactions: DukefanKY
Grayson and Duval have hit the proverbial wall. I didn’t know it existed but looks like there is a senior wall to hit. Duval is understandable because almost every freshman hits it. But I don’t know what to say about Grayson. We need. At least 10 efficient points from him every game. If he gives us that then we beat everybody.

Did y’all look at Carter and Bagley’s numbers though? Carter had 14p 15r 4a 4b. Bagley had 30p and 14r. That’s just insane. They’re unstoppable

I still feel good about this year. We shoot a little better from 3 and play a little smarter at the end and we win this game. Still haven't reached our ceiling.

This was just another regular season game. Tough loss but our season is not over by any means. I do think this probably locks up the regular season for Virginia but there are still plenty of games to be played. Wish we got another shot at them. Maybe ACC tourney.

If our shooters can get more involved, the FT% should go up as a team. Right now ,since the majority of our offense is Carter and Bagley, they shoot all the FT's.

hold up just one minute. we need to keep feeding the post. Bagley and Carter should take the most shots. That's our best chance. We just need Grayson or Trent to play like 2nd team All-ACC players and Duval to continue leading the league in assists. We will be just fine

And we hit the front ends to seal the game?? We weren't so good on the line either near the end. Anyway, great game to watch, IMHO, the two best teams in the country, (sorry NOVA fans). I do wish Allen would be a little more of an adult at times, his attitude hurts you guys more than you know. Nuff said.

great analysis

Trent's D is borderline. He frequently takes a poor defensive position and gives up a layup.

The team boxing out is not solid. Too many lost rebounds.

Duval has shown on multiple occasions at the end of games that his situational awareness is not great. He is young. But is he learning

We have to cut down on stupid turnovers. You cant give a team 10 more chances. Value the basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT