ADVERTISEMENT

Countdown to Craziness -- 10 things to watch

Proctor is going to be good. He always has his head up, and is looking for the play to develop. He is probably more of a pure PG than Roach. And Blakes is solid, so we have a decent back up. Proctor and Roach will probably be the starting backcourt.
Has anyone else noticed how lazy the Crazies have gotten? I know it was a scrimmage, but yikes.

Last edited:
Proctor is going to be good. He always has his head up, and is looking for the play to develop. He is probably more of a pure PG than Roach. And Blakes is solid, so we have a decent back up. Proctor and Roach will probably be the starting backcourt.
Has anyone else noticed how lazy the Crazies have gotten? I know it was a scrimmage, but yikes.

If you will notice over the last few years they have their devices in their hands, taking selfies, texting the person next to them so they don't really have time to go into the chants. Hopefully they can get it all together before our first home game. I remember Coach K having to call them out a couple of times. The game of college basketball is changing and do is the face of the Cameron Crazies. Never will be like it was. OFC

I think it's hard to be excited at a scrimmage. When they used to have the blue white game there was some excitement but there is no one to root for or against.

I liked Proctor a lot, he seems to be one of those guys who just "gets it". Maybe an Austin Rivers with more willingness to pass the ball and a better shooter.

Roach did what we would expect of him and Blakes is making his bid for the Goldwire position.

Grandison is quiet but even when he wasn't hitting his shot he rebounded and defended. A valuable piece to the puzzle.

Boy Flip looked like a freshman Mason Plumlee didn't he? Could be a star with a year or so under his belt.

If Lively is out for more than a couple weeks, I think we'll see Reeves play some games. He has progressed too quickly to keep on the bench. He won't be staying 4 years anyway.

There's a lot of potential on this team but the lack of a true superstar like Banchero (assuming Whitehead isn't at that point yet) makes it a work in progress for now.

Oh, and I was disappointed with Schutt. Not only did he miss all his 3 pointers, but he passed up two of them very much like Joey Baker. Brought back bad memories. C'mon Jayden I'm still on your bandwagon!
I think that was more of his shot not falling. If you watch after Grandison missed like three in a row he started passing the ball off on open shots.

when it comes to the Crazies. I think they are also feeling the effect of the OAD era. If you noticed how loud they got for the returning players opposed to the freshman. It’s just the new era of college basketball.

Reactions: jeffrey236
If Reeves is as talented as many believe, there's no reason not to play him. Four years is plenty of time to spend in college. And the players go to summer school so it should be easy to graduate in four years even taking a reduced course load

Plus, you improve more if you actually play in games. It improves your enthusiasm and motivation

Hard to say with Reeves. Most of his baskets were uncontested looks, which he may not have gotten if Lively was guarding. Still, he scored on Young, a proven Big 10 player, a few times. He's fast as well. But no doubt he looked like he belonged last night, and is very coordinated for a big guy. There was no hesitation you often see in young big guys, he caught the ball and immediately went to the rim. Given the crowded frontcourt he should probably still redshirt. Him and Flip and possibly Young would be a really good frontcourt next year.

Last edited:
The Reeves thing is similar in a way to the Blakes love. Everyone over inflates what they probably can do. Blakes will have a small role, situational. It’s best for all involved if Reeves redshirts.
I was in the camp last year that hoped Blakes would red shirt and let his body mechanics catch up to his skill. I hope Reeves redshirts. With Young and Lively at the five and Mitchell and Flip at the four that’s a crowded front court . Id like to see him play in practice, get some mass and muscle on him and shine next year .

The Reeves thing is similar in a way to the Blakes love. Everyone over inflates what they probably can do. Blakes will have a small role, situational. It’s best for all involved if Reeves redshirts.
Agreed. I am wary of reading too much into a scrimmage. Seems like I have been burned before. With the frontcourt a little crowded, I think that redshirting would be best for Reeves and Duke. With Lively and Young? gone next year, the path to playing time is much clearer and a year working on his body can only help a big man. I guess that we will find out in a few weeks.

Agreed. I am wary of reading too much into a scrimmage. Seems like I have been burned before. With the frontcourt a little crowded, I think that redshirting would be best for Reeves and Duke. With Lively and Young? gone next year, the path to playing time is much clearer and a year working on his body can only help a big man. I guess that we will find out in a few weeks.
He should absolutely redshirt. My only question is if he's outplaying those ahead of him in practice. I just want he and his family to buy - in to the redshirt and the opportunities that follow.

I recall at Kansas Ben Mclemore redshirting and Coach Self telling some media folks he was the best player in the program. I'm not comparing Reeves to Ben, I am saying the redshirt player can out play those participating the current year.

Reactions: skysdad
Not to worry about the Crazies. They have been really and unexpectedly good and supportive of the football team. Crazies will be ready and loud when the games really count for something. Just hard to get up for what amounts to no more than a scrimmage.

OFC

I think the critical issue for whether they redshirt Reeves is how long the staff feels it will be until he’s ready to be a solid ACC player. Because the year that happens, he’s likely gone. My gut tells me it’s going to be before his senior year. If I’m right, I don’t see why it’s in anyone’s interest to redshirt him. We saw how Mark Williams went from looking like a deer in the headlights early in his freshman year to looking like an emerging stud by the end of the season, and then really become a critical cog in our team last year. And then he’s gone. So why not let him get a few minutes here and there and get a taste of competition (and, BTW, be available with some game-time experience when the inevitable foot injury bug bites us again)? IMHO, there have been a lot of guys in our program over the years looking a lot less ready for prime-time than Reeves does, who we didn’t redshirt, and didn’t play anyway. And that was before OAD made 4 years of a player irrelevant.

Agree with Jeffrey. In the past, I would be all for a redshirt year. But the way things are now, it's rare for any player to stay at one school for 4 years, let alone 5. I would be fine playing him, even if he sees limited time.

I think the Williams comparison needs some looking at. He was actually thinking about leaving after his freshman season for the draft if it weren’t for his family and the staff talking to him. If Reeves wants to redshirt let him. He looked good in a scrimmage without lively but the one knock on Mark and it still is even after getting drafted us he’s still to thin and not enough weight to handle the NBA yet . Luckily he got drafted by the Hornets so he will see some time hopefully.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Reeves has gone from project to NBA draft pic in 16 minutes. He looks like he belongs, but I wouldn't be hiring an agent just yet. Young was probably a very favorable match up for him. That said, he did look really good for that stretch.

He should absolutely redshirt. My only question is if he's outplaying those ahead of him in practice. I just want he and his family to buy - in to the redshirt and the opportunities that follow.

I recall at Kansas Ben Mclemore redshirting and Coach Self telling some media folks he was the best player in the program. I'm not comparing Reeves to Ben, I am saying the redshirt player can out play those participating the current year.
Lol mclemore didn’t redshirt to grow he redshirted because he was ineligible with academic problems . Doesn’t need to redshirt if he can solidly contribute over others now

Reactions: Fourteen44
Unless he plays that way all the time, I say redshirt him. We need Youngs experience, Lively is a stud and Flip needs to develop. If someone gets injured, then he can play.

I watched a 2010 game a few weeks ago. GT in the ACC final. Kelly didn't play one second. We had the Plumlee brothers as backups.

If Reeve’s needs convincing on keeping the course of red shirting all he has to do is look at the young college players that are remaining injured in the league ( Wiseman, Maker, bomba, Bol Bol.) in his own words he said Lively was going to do some good things . Why waist a year of backup ( minimal minutes) when you can shine next season. But then again he is a kid .

Reactions: christophero
The big Polish kid at Gonzaga redshirted and wound up starting in the finals as a senior. Nova seems to have good luck with redshirting kids. But you have to sell them on a long term plan. It happens in football a lot. But a lot of kids don't want to wait. I would leave it up to Reeves, but let him know he may not play much this year.

The big Polish kid at Gonzaga redshirted and wound up starting in the finals as a senior. Nova seems to have good luck with redshirting kids. But you have to sell them on a long term plan. It happens in football a lot. But a lot of kids don't want to wait. I would leave it up to Reeves, but let him know he may not play much this year.
The “big polish kid” couldn’t dribble a ball at 18 so not a great comparison. Reeves is far ahead of many of those kids.

people are forgetting that reeves was expected to be top 25 until he got covid his senior year.

Reactions: jamsession3
The “big polish kid” couldn’t dribble a ball at 18 so not a great comparison. Reeves is far ahead of many of those kids.

people are forgetting that reeves was expected to be top 25 until he got covid his senior year.

Great point, he got COVID. So the sickness played a role in his development, but also blessed DUKE to get him. Had he played healthy, so wouldn't be here.

Encourage the kid to redshirt, but if he's wiping the floor with Flip and Lovely in practice, I hope it does not get out to the public.

Reactions: Fourteen44
Great point, he got COVID. So the sickness played a role in his development, but also blessed DUKE to get him. Had he played healthy, so wouldn't be here.

Encourage the kid to redshirt, but if he's wiping the floor with Flip and Lovely in practice, I hope it does not get out to the public.
I doubt he’s wiping the floor with Lively. Pretty much by his own words he doesn’t see him beating Lively out the starting spot in a sense . Other wise he simply would have left it at , “ that’s the plan as of right now!” And never mentioned lively .

I don’t remember reading where he was going to be a top 25 kid . Only that he was a four star possibly moving up to a five .
Just checked four recruiting sites and they didn’t even have him ranked until last year . He went from unranked , to a three star finishing with four . Not one mention of Covid slowing down his growth in any article just that he started off raw and really came on in his senior campaign with South Carolina being one of his highest offers prior to Duke.

Last edited:
Well Reeves looks to be athletic and a hard worker so whether it's this year or next, I'm glad we have him and expect big things from him. No wonder Duke isn't looking to add a center for 2023.

Well Reeves looks to be athletic and a hard worker so whether it's this year or next, I'm glad we have him and expect big things from him. No wonder Duke isn't looking to add a center for 2023.
I’d expect Flip, Reeves and Young all back next year. Add in Power, Sean Stewart to play the 3/4, Mack. The 3-5 spot will be deep and talented. Then surround them with what we will have in the backcourt, whoa.

I like the football rules for redshirting. You can play in four games and retain your redshirt.

Basketball should do something similar. A little playing time in real games is very helpful for development

Before we anoint Reeves the next Tim Duncan just remember Josh Hairston had 23 points in the blue white game. He is coming along nicely though.
Yeah and everyone gave up on Josh , but he made a nice living playing ball overseas and I think he’s an agent now .
These are kids they are going to do what they want in the end but I think IMO, he sees the upside from red shirting .

Reactions: christophero
A lot of people have jumped off the Flip bandwagon, but his time will come. He will have a Hurt type trajectory I imagine.

Last edited:
I doubt he’s wiping the floor with Lively. Pretty much by his own words he doesn’t see him beating Lively out the starting spot in a sense . Other wise he simply would have left it at , “ that’s the plan as of right now!” And never mentioned lively .

I don’t remember reading where he was going to be a top 25 kid . Only that he was a four star possibly moving up to a five .
Just checked four recruiting sites and they didn’t even have him ranked until last year . He went from unranked , to a three star finishing with four . Not one mention of Covid slowing down his growth in any article just that he started off raw and really came on in his senior campaign with South Carolina being one of his highest offers prior to Duke.
Dig deeper or pay for better premium?

Before we anoint Reeves the next Tim Duncan just remember Josh Hairston had 23 points in the blue white game. He is coming along nicely though.
Wow, saying a kid shouldn’t redshirt = he will be all-America and HOF in the NBA. Interesting take.

Then again I do see things like:

“Initially, I know Coach Scheyer had mentioned it and said it’ll probably happen,” Reeves said. “Then, recently, I’ve talked with one of my assistant coaches who had talked to (Scheyer) and he said: ‘It just depends on how Christian comes in here and competes. We think he can compete at a high level.’”

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT