ADVERTISEMENT

Countdown to Craziness -- 10 things to watch

We could be good, but there are a lot of unknowns with this squad. Jon has his work cut out for him. Whitehead and Lively could be our best 2 guys, so there's that.

We could be good, but there are a lot of unknowns with this squad. Jon has his work cut out for him. Whitehead and Lively could be our best 2 guys, so there's that.
I don’t think there are to many unknowns.

Roach and Proctor are the back court IMO .
Whitehead will be the sf when he gets healthy .

lively is the starting center. Now it’s between Flip and Mitchell that start at pf . Ready to see a game against a different team to see more.

Can we get highlights? Cause right now I just have Shey's version, and he's insane. :)

As Shey said, Reeves looks like a Mark Williams, but more like Mark near the end of his freshman year. Could he be the steal of the class? With Flip and Lively known for their outside games, he may be quite valuable. And he defended the rim well. Of course, this is all based on a 16 minute scrimmage when they’ve played each other countless times already, but it was encouraging.

Roach had the attitude you want in your PG. Looked like he picked up where he left off last April.

As Shey said, Reeves looks like a Mark Williams, but more like Mark near the end of his freshman year. Could he be the steal of the class? With Flip and Lively known for their outside games, he may be quite valuable. And he defended the rim well. Of course, this is all based on a 16 minute scrimmage when they’ve played each other countless times already, but it was encouraging.

Roach had the attitude you want in your PG. Looked like he picked up where he left off last April.

I saw that too. Roach acting like a captain and leader. Happy he has stuck it out. Also Blakes played pretty well. OFC

It is but that and the practices are all we have. Our freshman, other than Proctor, have not really stood out. Its early, but that needs to change. People don't want to hear this, but UNC and UVA bring back nearly their entire teams.

Reactions: hart2chesson
For real.. christophero has me in a panic. I’m ready to call this season a lost cause.
Pisg, I just listened to the radio broadcast, and I have to admit disappointment in Flip and Mitchell. I figured they would be big-time contributors without Lively and Whitehead on the floor.

Wonder if Reeves can be a key, ot tonite was just an aberration??? OFC

Based on what I’ve read, there’s not alot to be excited about. Team sounds pretty weak. Starting to think it’s gonna be a long season. Good news is we will have a whole new group of players to get to know next season 🤷🏻‍♂️

on a personal note, I’m still depressed about the FF loss and K retiring

Reactions: christophero
We should be okay. Lots of new faces to integrate.

Last edited:
Pisg, I just listened to the radio broadcast, and I have to admit disappointment in Flip and Mitchell. I figured they would be big-time contributors without Lively and Whitehead on the floor.

Wonder if Reeves can be a key, ot tonite was just an aberration??? OFC

Mitchell is a badass, I think he will pleasantly surprise you as he gets more comfortable during the season. Flip is a year away IMO, and Lively's motor is a question mark, but both will have their moments. With all the other guys, you definitely have the parts to compete, even to the last weekend of the season, but it's up to Scheyer to make it happen. I'm a Heel, so I'm not necessarily pulling for him, but unlike most of us, I'm not pulling against him either. Scheyer seems like a pretty good dude, and the rivalry is better when we are both good. Plus, the majority of my friends are Duke fans, I try to keep the peace..........as do they.

Last edited:
Well, we're not winning a game, and we better fire Jon right now if we want to salvage the program. Jesus, some of you need to CHILL OUT! There will be ups and downs, but I have the utmost confidence in our staff and this roster.

Well, we're not winning a game, and we better fire Jon right now if we want to salvage the program. Jesus, some of you need to CHILL OUT! There will be ups and downs, but I have the utmost confidence in our staff and this roster.
Maybe, just saying with K we took a lot for granted, and we usually had more returnees. The sky isn't falling, but let's not stick our heads in the sand either. There is a lot of uncertainty this year.

So, the only thing I really took from watching the SCRIMMAGE (that's all it is, people completely over value this stuff) is that Proctor looked to be our most talented player and a fluid athlete. Yes, Reeves played great, but I've seen that story in the blue/white game before. I don't care about the stats, Proctor looked the part. He might not be the most talented player when Lively and Whitehead come back, but right now, I think he is.

Other notes -
I think Mitchell will be good when surrounded by a good group. Looks like a junkyard dog type, which I expected (and love). He's a slasher for sure.
Reeves is more solidly built than I expected, but overall we are pretty thin out there. I'm not going to take much from this scrimmage, but playing this year should not be off the table for him.
I think Young was fine. He's big and slow but can clearly put the ball in the hoop when he's around the basket. Solid, unspectacular.
Flip looks like he has a long way to go. Showed some flashes but overall I think he's probably got the biggest learning curve.
Blakes is a good defender, but man, he's lost offensively. I can't see him playing too much with Roach and Proctor out there. Same with Schutt but too early to say with him.
Grandison didn't look great tonight, but like Mitchell, I think he will look better when he's playing with the A team and can fall into his role. He also showed some flashes, the shot just wasn't falling.
Roach's shot seems to have really improved. He should have a very good year.

Well to this point, (a very tiny sample size) we can only go by what we saw last nite. Clearly subpar at this point, and there's a lot of work to be done.

OFC

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
I’m not insane . Just saying what I saw and you can tell the emphasis early is on defense period. Scheyer has said multiple times he thinks this can be a good defensive team.
Proctor is as good as advertised and you only saw glimpse’s of every player. Offense wasn’t the focus of the scrimmage.
One play by proctor he went right on Roach then straight left by flip to lay the ball in while both were defending him.

All I want to see from Blakes when he gets his minutes is the same thing he was doing to Young. Attack, draw the foul.

I was just saying what I saw . I don’t take much from scrimmages but my post are simply my observations.

I just watched the scrimmage this morning. I didn't see anything that really changed my mind on this team's trajectory from what i thought a couple of months ago. I expect a few head scratching losses from this bunch especially in the early part of the season, but the pieces are there for a very good team by March. Reeves did look good, but I still think it most likely that he redshirts. Getting Whitehead and Lively back healthy and in the lineup will completely change how this team looks so I just enjoyed watching some basketball.

Reactions: geddoughton23
I just watched the scrimmage this morning. I didn't see anything that really changed my mind on this team's trajectory from what i thought a couple of months ago. I expect a few head scratching losses from this bunch especially in the early part of the season, but the pieces are there for a very good team by March. Reeves did look good, but I still think it most likely that he redshirts. Getting Whitehead and Lively back healthy and in the lineup will completely change how this team looks so I just enjoyed watching some basketball.
I agree with you but I’ll be surprised if reeves redshirts. Jon will likely play a good bit of 2 true bigs together so the rotating 5 players will be impactful. Plus, besides last night, I’m hearing he’s really playing well, consistently.

I’m not insane . Just saying what I saw and you can tell the emphasis early is on defense period. Scheyer has said multiple times he thinks this can be a good defensive team.
Proctor is as good as advertised and you only saw glimpse’s of every player. Offense wasn’t the focus of the scrimmage.
One play by proctor he went right on Roach then straight left by flip to lay the ball in while both were defending him.

All I want to see from Blakes when he gets his minutes is the same thing he was doing to Young. Attack, draw the foul.

I was just saying what I saw . I don’t take much from scrimmages but my post are simply my observations.
Think he was just messing with you

I just watched the video thanks for posting. Some thoughts.
1. Lively looks great. He's long, blocks shots and finishes around the rim. Wait that's Reeves haha. Nice.
2. Catchings looks solid. He's a nice strong wing who may see spot minutes.
3. Proctor looks good. Him and Roach are a nice backcourt. 3 point shot looks nice.
4. Blakes looks improved. Small sample size, but he seems ahead of Schutt right now.
5. Young is solid, if a bit slow.
6. Flip seems like a 2 year guy. But I see him in the top 20 on mock drafts. Could go either way.
7. Grandison didn't play that well, but I imagine he will play better. He did miss time over the summer.
8. Mitchell looked okay. He is going to be a good one eventually. He doesn't have a great shot right now, which is why he was ranked where he was.

Last edited:
I'm watching again. Really impressed with Reeve's ability to catch and finish around the rim. I wasn't expecting that. He is going to be really good. He is also a good FT shooter and shot blocker.

Last edited:
Sixteen minutes wasn't enough for me. Thought our teams were just gettimg warmed up. Saw some good things and some rust. Roach is gonna be fine. He will have some moments from time to time where he makes some mistakes but so happy he returned. Getting Lively and Whitehead back will beva big plus. OFC

I still can't wrap my head around how good Reeves looked. I get it's a scrimmage and all, but he looked like Tim Duncan those first 10 minutes lol.

Reactions: jeffrey236
I still can't wrap my head around how good Reeves looked. I get it's a scrimmage and all, but he looked like Tim Duncan those first 10 minutes lol.
I hope he red shirts and just puts on some weight and muscle . He can help that is for sure but I think a year against Lively, Flip, Young and Mitchell in practice will do wonders for his game come next season where he can possibly be Dukes starting center.

The coaching staff will need to control internal egos and make sure the vision goes forward. Yes, it was a scrimmage, but kids read and realize their performance.

I didn’t watch the scrimmage last night, and have no desire to. To those that did, imagine you have the tape of it in your hand. Find the nearest trash can, and place it in there.

It means nothing.
Actually this one was very different from years past as you could clearly see that defense is being pushed by the staff. You can throw it away but defense might be Dukes calling card and if they continue that would follow a vintage K move along with Roach pulling the whole team together on his intro like Cook.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT