ADVERTISEMENT

Center and pg positions

jamsession3

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Dec 4, 2005
I know many say basketball is being played differently, but I really feel not having a center next to Jefferson and someone committing to being a pg hurt this season.

Other than that...great talent.

We had one for this year he decided to go else where ( transfer).
We had three legit centers, two injured and one not. One saw spare time and two barely any.
Frank was recruited as a pg and Giles, Bolden, Jeter and Big V as centers. Duke had what you said they lacked but not playing them and defining rolls hurt this team.

We had one for this year he decided to go else where ( transfer).
We had three legit centers, two injured and one not. One saw spare time and two barely any.
Frank was recruited as a pg and Giles, Bolden, Jeter and Big V as centers. Duke had what you said they lacked but not playing them and defining rolls hurt this team.

And that's on the coaches. The biggest mistake was sticking to small ball on defense and not giving frank the keys. This roster wasn't built to play small at all on defense

I liked our lineup better when Giles played along side of Amile. We didn't do that much, but I liked it when we did.

The lack of a true point guard hurt us on offense, but also on defense. As much as I love Luke and Grayson, their defense is lacking. I'd like to see a little more quickness in the lineup.

And that's on the coaches. The biggest mistake was sticking to small ball on defense and not giving frank the keys. This roster wasn't built to play small at all on defense
I'm not gonna say that. Frank had the keys last night and got fluttered. But so did the whole team. With the size Duke had we should have been mixing up the scoring and had Jason at WF. But that's my opinion
The thing that gets me is you see all these teams with 2-4 star kids and their bigs look way better then the Duke bigs which is why I don't agree with hs rankings.

I'm not gonna say that. Frank had the keys last night and got fluttered. But so did the whole team. With the size Duke had we should have been mixing up the scoring and had Jason at WF. But that's my opinion
The thing that gets me is you see all these teams with 2-4 star kids and their bigs look way better then the Duke bigs which is why I don't agree with hs rankings.

I think the big issue is that coach has a short leash with bigs. More than any other position you have to let bigs play through their mistakes and not have a short leash.they have to learn what they can and can't do in games and just maybe the light will come on. I think frank should have been giving the keys from day one .

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
I think a big reason that our best lineup this season was with Jayson at the 4 is because our lack of a true point guard. Not having a true point guard meant that we needed to space the floor and have offensive creators at the majority of the positions.

I think a big reason that our best lineup this season was with Jayson at the 4 is because our lack of a true point guard. Not having a true point guard meant that we needed to space the floor and have offensive creators at the majority of the positions.

Yes on OFFENSE that was our best lineup and that's the issue to be honest with you. It seems like we have focused too much on offense and have forgot about defense . It doesn't matter how good the spacing is on offense if you can't stop anyone.

Reactions: BettisND
I think the big issue is that coach has a short leash with bigs. More than any other position you have to let bigs play through their mistakes and not have a short leash.they have to learn what they can and can't do in games and just maybe the light will come on. I think frank should have been giving the keys from day one .
Said this at the behinnng of the season..frank was going to be the key...noooo we went through the Matt jones experiment ..just as I expected he's thrown in there last minute to try and lead this team...k deserves some serious blame imo nobody's perfect though...good thing is Jackson will be so much better next year and if we do miss out on Duval we will at least have a chance imo..hopefully he stays he's the key player I want back over everyone..I hope he works on his release some imo he tends to let the ball go when he's on the way down ..he's a jumper also!! Lol needs to quicken his release a little

Last edited:
We do no developing (in game) u better have it when u come to Duke

Said this at the behinnng of the season..frank was going to be the key...noooo just as I expected he's thrown in there last minute to try and lead this team...k deserves some serious blame imo...good thing is Jackson will be so much better next year and if we do miss out on Duval we will at least have a chance imo..hopefully he stays he's the key player I want back over everyone

The issue is we can't miss on Duval. We could literally lose 8 or our top 9. Think about that for a second

Allen
Kennard
Tatum
Giles
Bolden
Jeter
Jones
Jefferson

We could also retain all but 2 haha 3 ...were either going to be really good or struggle time will tell ..hell if Jackson goes pro and we don't get Duval we're in serious panic mode!!!

Reactions: sheyduke
I hope our guys texted him last night and was like let's stick it to these haters next year come join us!! ..I got bad feeling though after watching Duval to me his personality is more suited to Kansas or Baylor ..just me though ..

Really? You don't think Luke developed over the past year? You don't think Frank developed throughout this season? How about Jayson this season? Typical post season overreaction...
I agree with you but our Bigs are real slow at developing, and for that reason we struggle when it's real physical and we give up 2nd and 3rd chances. That will wear our guys down as well. Frustrating when they do play good d to only see other team get the ball. Duke did not have a beast down low to compliment Jefferson.

Lol ur naming stars ...and to answer ur ? Yea....they got better.occasionally we'll develope a big man when we have a lack of depth ....nevermind :)

Really? You don't think Luke developed over the past year? You don't think Frank developed throughout this season? How about Jayson this season? Typical post season overreaction...

All of those players were college ready to play in the ACC. All of those players possessed a unique talent for the Duke system.

Chase, Jack White, Vrank, and Javin could have benefited from a red-shirt year at Duke.

Izzo is more of a development coach. He develops talent and is not afraid to use players to fulfill what is needed.

Now before everyone gets excited he's not Coach K but he is a proven HOF Coach.

I agree with you but our Bigs are real slow at developing, and for that reason we struggle when it's real physical and we give up 2nd and 3rd chances. That will wear our guys down as well. Frustrating when they do play good d to only see other team get the ball. Duke did not have a beast down low to compliment Jefferson.

A beast down low would've been the first option and Coach K rarely gives the Big first touch unless you are Oak.

I love k ..wouldn't trade him for anybody ..would love to mix a lil Roy in with him tho ,without the namer puddin and cheating , maybe become a geno! Ahahah( fun)

I don't think there is a clear answer since no team will win every single game and coaches are smart enough in today's world to exploit some weakness. I think the 1 position wasn't the major problem since the offense was really good as usual. Of course, last night it would have helped, however, I believe it was not having length in the paint (whether this be at the 5/4/or 3 or whatever) that can deter isolated penetration was the bigger issue. Giles would have fit the role perfectly as a weakside shot blocker if it wasn't for the unfortunate injuries and getting the confidence to improve in the pick and roll situations. Sometimes, that psychological presence is enough to keep the opposing team at bay. Also, it sort of covers up for some defensive flaws in the backcourt (such as Kennard being ISO'd). Frank Martin wouldn't be explaining to the sideline reporter at halftime that his team needs to drive more - he would be saying how the guards need to move on the perimeter better and hit their 3's. The game plan is altered in some form.

I realize Amile had a career high in blocks, but SC was still not fearful of getting to the paint. It also didn't help that they were hitting everything in the 2nd half. Not many teams would have been able to come out of that game last night.

Okafor and Winslow are good examples. Although not prolific shot blockers, you could just tell the opposing guards were thinking twice before driving in the lane because of their length.

I'm not saying we get him, but if we were to land Knox, you know the holes will say they really didn't want him.

Reactions: sheyduke
I'm not saying we get him, but if we were to land Knox, you know the holes will say they really didn't want him.
I'll take Knox, but give me Javin and White some time of the bench.
Really torn. We get know we look much like this year except getting Duval with him we have a true pg but I don't think this is the era where riding the bench is in and I think those two could contribute.

This teams biggest issue outside of experience was point guard play. I don't believe I saw one good post pass from a player playing point all season maybe the last 2 seasons. In oppositon to when we had Quin Cook and Tyus Jones. It would be great to get on Tremont Waters, and still try to sign Duval. If not find another scholarship worthy point guard that can develop under Duval or Jackson; who will be at Duke for 4 years. It would have been nice to see Delaurier and White to see more minutes as the season went on. Especially saying they both looked fairly athletic when giving the opportunity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT