ADVERTISEMENT

Caution: Dont overexpect next year.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
This should have been the play:

Run the weave for a few secs, then have one of Bags and Carter come up to set the pick, while the other drifted off to the perimeter along the baseline, perpendicular to the basket. Let the big set the pick while TD drives to the basket. The big on the baseline then runs toward the basket. Now, there should be 1 defender covering TD and a big as they converge on the basket. With our third big collapsing behind for rebounding purposes. With the two wings in shooting position on the perimeter.
The only, and I mean ONLY way to stop this is for one or both of the wing defenders to slouch off to help in the paint, leaving their defensive assignment wide open. Given our personnel this past year, the offensive tactic I have laid out is nigh on unstoppable. If our wings miss a bunch of shots, we lose. Or if an elite rim protector is able to disrupt finishes at the rim.
But that would have maximized 4 of our 5 players on the court.
Odd man out? Grayson Allen. He would have been reduced to a spot up shooter.

Which is why we never ran it. It would have been bad for Allen, and K won't hang a favorite Senior out to dry like that. K let what was good for the team be hijacked by his desire to prop up a favored player.

Bingo! You got it! I was going to say this before I saw you bring it up. I’ve been saying it all year. Grayson should’ve been nothing more than a spot up shooter and secondary playmaker for us. I don’t believe Coach K likes the pick and roll game with the point guard. He likes point guards that’ll moreso direct the offense and not attack. Duval was clearly a pick and roll point guard. Having him stand around on the perimeter did him a disservice.

Reactions: bond_ james bond
All opinions are valid as long as they don't cross the line. Yates brings up some good points. Personally I think Grayson earned the right to take that shot. Just because it rimmed out doesn't change my opinion. K has his principles, and being loyal to a senior leader is one of them. But that trust needs to be earned. Just ask Ricky Price.

Reactions: pisgah101
In summary, Allen killed us, Bagley didn't, K should have ran the pnr, this board has cliques, don't put a ceiling on the team in April, saying the team will go far is fine in April, this board is family, nobody will bet Show, and Sky's still the champ.
Now if ya'll will excuse me, Jwill, Hart, Datt and myself are playing cards.

1fh4ub.jpg

Reactions: skysdad and Dattier
It isn't unprofessional or idiotic on K's part. As I stated, K has shown, over and over, that he trusts his senior leaders. One of his main failings is his failure to realize, or even realizing far too late, that some senior leaders aren't worthy of that faith.
In retrospect, running the PnR sets I described in my OP would have been the best thing for this team.
But the strategy K employed from the start of the years WOULD have worked, and indeed SHOULD have worked, if Allen hadn't laid an egg this year. If Allen shoots 43% from 3, plays better M2M D, and TD is a little less TO prove, Duke is a 1 seed and playing Nova. If K had punished Bags until he performed better on D, Duke is cutting down the nets.
And those are small improvements. I'm not saying Allen and Bags have to be lockdown defenders in M2M, just that they not be complete failure points. Just be mediocre on D, which isn't that much to ask for, IMO. And 43% from 3 for Allen is a reasonable request for a senior whose rep is that of a perimeter threat. Assuming reasonable shooting from GA, and mediocre D from Bags and Allen, TD's TO's would have been the difference between beating Nova and losing to Nova in the NCAAT title game.
I think K just thought that Allen would step up, be clutch and make 3s and play solid D. That he'd do an impression of Nolan or Cook or Jon or Battier. Not the same levels, in some cases, but that Allen would make the plays we needed him to make to win at the level Duke wants to win at. Only, GA hadn't shown any proof of that. He'd been a mediocre 3pt shooter for 2 seasons, and a horrible defender for 3 seasons. K started the season using a strategy that was based on very reasonable expectations. As such, he didn't implement a strategy focusing on PnR because that strategy

1. Was less likely to be successful than one focusing on a good shooting GA being heavily featured.
2. Would have relegated Allen to a very decreased role relative to the prior couple of seasons.
If Allen had made shots this year, K's strategy would have worked. Bags and Allen would have been our leaders as we probably win the ACC reg season and the ACCT, en route to a 1 seed and a date with Nova in the title game. Pre-season, featuring Allen and Bags was the smart strategy. But by January it was blindingly obvious that Allen wasn't that guy. But, as he's done many times since 92, K went ride or die with a senior player, refusing to realize or admit that the Senior just wasn't good enough to carry the team. Trying to paint my post as an attack on K is an incredibly specious argument.
I've explained, in depth, my reasoning. All I've gotten back is "that is just wrong." Why. What evidence or observations do any of you have that I'm wrong. The PnR was obviously our optimal tactic by March, and it had been obvious for 1.5 months as of the start of the ACCT. What excuse does anyone have for why K didn't switch to it?

This is almost like reading diahrea. And the fact dachumpishere agrees just proves it even more

Bolden should put up Azubuike type numbers next year. He will have space to work in the post. 12 points a night should be a given for him with one on one coverage

The next Duke coaching staff has spoken. The rest of us need to shut our mouths and know our roles.

Or he will lay the smack down on all your candy asses. DO YOU SMELL WHAT COACH K IS COOKING?

But my name is Pisgah and... IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT YOUR NAME IS.

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
I think K went ride or die with Duval and switched to Allen then back to Duval then Allen doing both! Lol. I think Allen did good given the horrible pg play early, and then him having to run the point (not his natural position) , being a leader on D, then doing both! Everything! It seems like you want to blame Allen and K but the real problem was Duval and everything K (had) to do because of it. Just my opinion though. Kinda just skipped through what u said and speed read some. Allen was asked to do a lot because he (had )to basically . He did pretty good imo when you factor in everything and look closely at everything. Think it kinda wore Allen down. From all the media negativity crap and this team.Hes not Lebran James, and K did what he could with what he had . Sure he could have done a few things different but nobody’s perfect and that’s not 1 of them. Tough position for K . ... and we know it all!!!!! Lmao

Last edited:
Reactions: bmbritt and Mac9192
I think K went ride or die with Duval and switched to Allen then back to Duval then Allen doing both! Lol. I think Allen did good given the horrible pg play early, and then him having to run the point (not his natural position) , being a leader on D, then doing both! Everything! It seems like you want to blame Allen and K but the real problem was Duval and everything K (had) to do because of it. Just my opinion though. Kinda just skipped through what u said and speed read some. Allen was asked to do a lot because he (had )to basically . He did pretty good imo when you factor in everything and look closely at everything. Think it kinda wore Allen down. From all the media negativity crap and this team.Hes not Lebran James, and K did what he could with what he had . Sure he could have done a few things different but nobody’s perfect and that’s not 1 of them. Tough position for K . ... and we know it all!!!!! Lmao

Hahahahaha cut it out. Duval averaged 8 assists pre-ACC play. Piss poor shooting by Grayson was the key in every loss we had. I didn't play well in any game we lost this year. If he would've played just good then we win

Reactions: gottagonow
One of his main failings is his failure to realize, or even realizing far too late, that some senior leaders aren't worthy of that faith.
Grayson hits that buzzer beater vs KU and K is a genius for trusting him.

I've explained, in depth, my reasoning. All I've gotten back is "that is just wrong." Why. What evidence or observations do any of you have that I'm wrong.
You've explained your reasoning at length, not depth. You still show no sign that you even understand why you're getting any flak. (I put another example in bold so you can try again.)

All opinions are valid as long as they don't cross the line. Yates brings up some good points. Personally I think Grayson earned the right to take that shot. Just because it rimmed out doesn't change my opinion. K has his principles, and being loyal to a senior leader is one of them. But that trust needs to be earned. Just ask Ricky Price.
Good. If your opinion changes retroactively based on whether a shot goes in or out, it isn't worthy of respect.

Ask Greg Paulus, too. He was 3rd team All-ACC as a junior and got benched as a senior b/c K's loyalty to people doesn't mean he just hands them the keys and shuts his eyes.

Nah, he was way off from Google as well. The average bear can pick up things like LTV and OPM from Google, but he even missed those lol.

“The less he understands something, the more firmly he be”

“A man who lacks understanding is susceptible to deception”

“We are products of the lack of understanding of the people we look up”

Just a few quotes for you hahahaha. Buts going to be ok. We get better everyday understanding

Buts going to be ok?

Can you clarify?

Oh yea that’s my fault. My bad. I forgot you lack understanding. When you’re typing fast you tend to mess up at times. I don’t want to purposely hurt you and Ms Piggy brain. So correction: But it’s going to be ok

Oh yea that’s my fault. My bad. I forgot you lack understanding. When you’re typing fast you tend to mess up at times. I don’t want to purposely hurt you and Ms Piggy brain. So correction: But it’s going to be ok

Hahaha so what is Miss Piggy? A sad attempt on a play of Pisgah i suppose? And nobody lacks understanding. We as a group understand you're a ridiculous excuse for a poster

Last edited:
Hahaha so what is Miss Piggy? A sad attempt on a play of Pisgah i suppose? And nobody lacks understanding. We as a group understand you're a ridiculous excuse for a poster

I understand. I rather be that than a groupie

Last edited:
Hahahahaha cut it out. Duval averaged 8 assists pre-ACC play. Piss poor shooting by Grayson was the key in every loss we had. I didn't play well in any game we lost this year. If he would've played just good then we win
I ain’t gonna attack you. It’s ur opinion, and I respectively disagree . I hate when people attack someone’s opinions, but mannnn you are really making it hard to go against my own rule . Lol. this isn’t Allen’s fault and even if it was (some) he defiantly wasn’t alone and all his fault.

I ain’t gonna attack you. It’s ur opinion, and I respectively disagree . I hate when people attack someone’s opinions, but mannnn you are really making it hard to go against my own rule . Lol. this isn’t Allen’s fault and even if it was (some) he defiantly wasn’t alone and all his fault.
Good post Ipsycho

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT