ADVERTISEMENT

Caution: Dont overexpect next year.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
For real. We should all sit around a fire, holding hands. Not allowed to think nothing but lofty aspirations. Anything less, and they start screaming "Citizens Arrest!"
Words like asinine, whining bitches, pussies. And our board brags about how we are as compared to Heel fans and Kentucky fans.
Looks to me like the 3 different shades of blue are close to the same.

Jesus. Seriously dude? Ain't nobody here asking you to hold hands. Its is funny how you guys cry you wanna be able so say what you want , but the optimistic guys can't. It's kind of a two way street ain't it. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cloud up you guys party. I enjoy your sophisticated threads that start with how we'll be bad but you always slip that, "but we could be really great" in there. It's neat. Cover all the bases so to speak. ;)

I would be glad to go into detail telling how I feel we should've played. First, I'll look at the strengths of each player offensively

*Trevon- penetrate and dish
*Grayson- spot up shooter who can put the ball on the floor on closeouts
*Gary- spot up shooter
*Marvin- post scorer and elite rebounder
*Wendell- post scorer, elite rebounder and reliable jump shooter

Now, we all knew coming into the season the most important person on the team would be Trevon. It's him because he's the point guard and we know we had two bigs that needed to get the ball along with two really good spot up shooters. How do you utilize a lineup like that? Have the shooters at the three point line and play a pick and role game. You can send Carter or Bagley to set the pick because both would be deadly rolling to the goal. While the other would be baseline. Both were pretty good mid range jump shooters and would crash the boards. Trevon is at his best attacking. He doesn't attack to score though. He attack to get his teammates involved which is exactly what we needed. Pick-and-roll should have been our main set this entire year. That would've helped Grayson and Gary even more. Having Trevon playing the way he played this year limited his skills and effect on the game. Trevon was the one person on offense that had a clear weakness, but his strength was better than the strengths of majority of the other players. By us running an offense that had him mostly standing on the perimeter, it didn't showcase our full potential as an offense. Grayson would've been a better shooter had we ran more pick-and-rolls for Trevon because he's an unselfish player and would've found Grayson. Grayson was at his best when his feet was already set. Letting him handle the ball was the worst thing for him. The defense was able to really key in on him and he lack the ball handling skills and quickness to beat a player off the dribble. Running the PNR also would've made it easier to get Bagley and Carter the ball in favorable spots. We didn't even run the side PNR against Kansas when Bagley would slip it and post up. That's Coach K's fault.

Defensively, we could have been more effective in man to man if we changed our style. Koach wanted to pressure the ball, but we played two bigs. Playing that style puts a lot of pressure on bigs because everybody (except us) spread the floor and ran a lot of pick and rolls. Marvin Bagley's defensive IQ was terrible which is not surprising. I'm sure he grew up playing the middle of the zone and was never taught defensive principles. He gets to college and has to learn rotations. That's not an easy thing to learn especially for a big that's used to playing close to the basket defensively. Wendell is a pretty good defender, but with us pressuring the ball and him having to cover 35 feet away from the basket against a guard was a challenge. Marques was much better at working the pick and roll because he attacked the ball handler (hard hedge). Grayson was our worse perimeter defender but if we packed the defense in he wouldn't have been a negative defensively. Our guards shouldn't have been extended out any further than 2 feet above the 3-point line. That would've made it easier on the big man. Guarding the pick and roll at 25 feet is much different than at 35 feet. The zone was a good move, but it's hard to win a championship playing zone. One good passing team that's making shots and you're gone.

The reason I give Grayson the most blame is because he's the leader and veteran. He didn't play well this year. We just needed him to be a 40% 3-pt shooter and we would've won the championship. Carter and Bagley should've let the team in shot attempts as well. Coach K gets the most blame because he didn't play the most important guy on the floor to his strength. When you have NBA skilled players, you need to run an NBA style offense. Having an athletic, pass first point guard who can't shoot just passing the ball around and standing on the perimeter does the offense a disservice. Rondo isn't the best player or best scorer on the Pelicans but you see who has the ball in his hands majority of the game attacking defenses and creating for his teammates. That could've been Trevon and that would've unlocked every player on the team's strengths

Thanks for the book report. Do you think anyone is actually going to read your entire post??

Duke fans are lot like Kentucky fans next man is always better lol

When was the last time UK had a top 5 player as a recruit? Zion fell in the rankings due to an hand injury only.

Last year we had no bench this year year we will have at least two to three guys off the bench that can play decent minutes without a tremendous drop off.

No team goes 40-0 unless they play in an incredibly weak conference.

From a talent perspective Duke will have a top 2 team and the pieces fit.

Will Duke win the championship next year? Who knows? Saying Duke can’t win a championship or don’t expect Duke to compete for a championship next year is laughable given the talent on the roster at all positions.

Jesus. Seriously dude? Ain't nobody here asking you to hold hands. Its is funny how you guys cry you wanna be able so say what you want , but the optimistic guys can't. It's kind of a two way street ain't it. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cloud up you guys party. I enjoy your sophisticated threads that start with how we'll be bad but you always slip that, "but we could be really great" in there. It's neat. Cover all the bases so to speak. ;)
First off, I didn't start the thread. Second, yes I think the team will get to sweet 16. The folks that think the team won't go as far as we want are being called downers. Then a mod came in and calls that thinking "asinine," yet a few others say they expect either a final four or a title, that's not considered anything but optimism.
Believe me, I hope we do better than sweet 16, but the last couple seasons have made me temper my expectations. I won't apologize either. You are welcome to have your views.
Just because I'm not pissing down my leg with the same excitement as you and a few others doesn't make me less of a fan, does it? Not trying to be a pussy

Last edited:
The whole saddle up comment was in fun, I'm sorry it burnt you and Harts ass hairs. I'll delete it. I 'm not pissing down my leg Hoss, but yes , I am excited about the incoming team. You seem fairly well intent on arguing about every Gd thing that pops up on this board so i'll just leave you alone from here on.

No, I'm learning only optimism is allowed. Why's it ok for you to go on a rant, cursing and all, then take offense when someone gets a little pissed at that.
This board is getting worse, and it all stems from the one and done debate, either you take all you can get or you are anti one and done

Reactions: pisgah101
So what exactly is the thread about?

I get amped every season about Duke basketball. I have just learned to wait until these kids play in their first college game to see how they play at the next level.

I do think this up coming season will be good.

Reactions: dukiejay
The whole saddle up comment was in fun, I'm sorry it burnt you and Harts ass hairs. I'll delete it. I 'm not pissing down my leg Hoss, but yes , I am excited about the incoming team. You seem fairly well intent on arguing about every Gd thing that pops up on this board so i'll just leave you alone from here on.
73b.gif

You didnt burn anything here dude. I am just more inclined to agree w/the author of the piece posted than I am post season glory for next year's squad. NOTHING is wrong with optimism about 4 freshmen phenoms, but nothing is wrong either about a dose of tempered expectations- especially in the wake of the last two seasons.

My sights are set on SIX, I just have a hard time imagining it next year when we return such a lack of proven veteran leadership. Believe me as a five decade plus Duke guy I will be pulling as hard for us as anyone. My allegiance to Duke will NEVER change!

OFC

Lol I see the viewpoints from both sides. I’m as a die hard Duke fan as you will ever meet, been fortunate to attend 10 Duke games where they are 9-1 (only loss to UK in 2015 Champions Classic) dating back to 2008 (1 at Cameron Indoor Stadium). I like to watch games at my place alone so no one bothers me while watching the game (call me superstitious). It sucks when our guys are eliminated in the NCAA tournament, but it’s just a game. Duke is always in the hunt to win a National Championship, because of Coach K. I enjoy watching the process it takes for every Duke team to come together throughout the season, but I don’t expect our guys to win it every year or make the Final 4 every year those expectations are just unrealistic, but best believe I hope they do make the Final 4 and win the National Championship every year. Go Duke, GTHC and Kensucky.

No, I'm learning only optimism is allowed. Why's it ok for you to go on a rant, cursing and all, then take offense when someone gets a little pissed at that.
This board is getting worse, and it all stems from the one and done debate, either you take all you can get or you are anti one and done

Ok lets see. you said only optimism is allowed. Ok, that's stupid. Either you're kidding, or you're stupid.I'll let you call it. you seem upset about a lil joking curse word I typed. I apologized, and deleted it, but , as normal, you'd like to argue about it. You say the board is getting worse, I agree and a couple of you are the reason. What are we arguing about next?

Expecting bad but hoping for great isn't covering the bases it's being a realistic based on our current strategies success. And show you obviously do care or you wouldn't of even posted in this thread. And he's not arguing over everything he's stating his point and defending it while being attacked over something a lot of us believe

Ok lets see. you said only optimism is allowed. Ok, that's stupid. Either you're kidding, or you're stupid.I'll let you call it. you seem upset about a lil joking curse word I typed. I apologized, and deleted it, but , as normal, you'd like to argue about it. You say the board is getting worse, I agree and a couple of you are the reason. What are we arguing about next?

How is that stupid? Please tell us

So, where do you stand Pisgah? You're fairly unclear, other than comments on what everyone else says. Stand up a little damn.

And I say damn in the kindest and most friendly unhurtful way.

So you think we will lack leadership and not be very good next year but we may win it all?

Expecting bad but hoping for great isn't covering the bases it's being a realistic based on our current strategies success. And show you obviously do care or you wouldn't of even posted in this thread. And he's not arguing over everything he's stating his point and defending it while being attacked over something a lot of us believe

Good post! I call it debate, not "arguing" about expectations for the upcoming season. There's simply a divide on the board amongst members about those expectations. I see nothing wrong with that scenario.

So, where do you stand Pisgah? You're fairly unclear, other than comments on what everyone else says. Stand up a little damn.

Unclear? I think most know where I stand. I think we'll have no leadership without any seniors. I think Bolden will be great and a nice compliment to Zion. RJ will be fine. Alex needs to start for some outside firepower and Tre will be great at point. We're fairly one deminsional unless someone comes in with a better outside shot than they currently have. We should be better on d. I think shear talent we will be great but its interchangeable and young so can we win a ship? Yes will we? I have less excitement for a deep run with this team then the past two who both let me down. I'm done buying the talent hype. Give me a team

Starting off the season with a W against the Cay-uts (this is how true UK fans sound when they say "Cats") should be a strong indicator moving forward. Were gonna have the most talent again, I'll go as far to say that that's a FACT. We lack experience, meaning we are gonna lose stupid road games in January, hopefully we only lose a few and still get a number 1 seed.

Given that the tournament is single elimination, I do think it's pretty asinine to put a cap on our tournament finish. Again, if one can agree that we have the most talent (and I'll gladly have that debate with anyone), than I don't understand how lack of experience equates to a Sweet 16 loss? So we don't have a senior, that means we're definitely gonna lose to the 4 seed??? I don't get it. I'd say that having a discussion about our total ACC record (18 game sample) is a much more logical discussion to have. I got us at 15-3.

Now again, given the randomness of the tournament, I can also see the other side stating that it's insane to say were the favorites to win the tournament. Butttt isn't this a Duke basketball board? Isn't it the end of April and there is absolutely zero happening in the world of college basketball?? I thought insane predictions is what were supposed to do? And yes, I do think were the favorites, and rightfully so, wait until you see our freshman and how talented they are..... MAN I'M EXCITED.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukesince91
Thanks for the book report. Do you think anyone is actually going to read your entire post??

But it wasn’t meant for you to read. The dude asked me to go in detail for him. You must learn stay out of people’s business. That can be dangerous out in the world.

Paraphrased version (I know nothing but type a lot to seem smart)

I know you like following my posts but he asked me to go in detail. Going in detail meant I had to explain it to him. You aren’t capable of having a real basketball discussion. You might learn something though.

Stop this ridiculous bs. We both want Duke to do good. I just don't think we will contend, but I want to be wrong.
The board is getting worse, and the different views on one and done are reason. Not because I refuse to think we are title contenders now.
Have a good day Show, kiss my a**
Love Mac

The funny thing about this thread is our opinion one way or the other has no bearing on how the upcoming season will play out. :p I think that starting 4 freshman, regardless of talent level, is a little nerve racking.

Last edited:
Ok.He said only optimism is allowed here. That is false. What’s your next question?
No it's not. The folks that said we weren't going to contend were told that view was asinine, yet the folks predicting final four or better weren't. What does that say?

Reactions: hart2chesson
Mac, you seem a little butt hurt that a Mod got on you a little bit. Chill out man. Everything is gonna be ok, and if you’re a real fan, I promise you’ll enjoy the coming season.

Reactions: sgrooms
Mac, you seem a little butt hurt that a Mod got on you a little bit. Chill out man. Everything is gonna be ok, and if you’re a real fan, I promise you’ll enjoy the coming season.

Funny you telling someone to "chill out" after some of your rants.

Reactions: pisgah101
No Show, I could care less what a mod thinks of me, so butt hurt I am not. It's the principle that one side can have high expectations yet the others shouldn't lower those expectations.
You're right about one thing though, I am going to enjoy this season much more than the last couple, and that's because I'm not expecting a final four out of an unknown team. Btw, I've been a "real fan" for about 35 years and don't need Pom poms to show that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT