ADVERTISEMENT

Caution: Dont overexpect next year.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yea that’s my fault. My bad. I forgot you lack understanding. When you’re typing fast you tend to mess up at times. I don’t want to purposely hurt you and Ms Piggy brain. So correction: But it’s going to be ok

Sooo, you screw up, blame me for asking a clarification question and then immediately admit your direct error. You are pure comedic gold man.

I like next year’s team better than this past year’s team.

1. Barrett is the best player coming out of high school in a long time. 6’7 wing that has no real weaknesses can’t guard him one on one. He was best highschool basketball player in the world the two years.
  2. Cam is move athletic Jason Tatum / Grant Hill like player. Huge wing span and can hit the three ball and has great handle for his size.
  3. Zion is a more athletic Larry Johnson with a better handle and 6’11 wingspan. He can play outside in. Hard to guard him one on one at any level.
  4. Tre Jones has tremendous handles and as pure of a point Duke has had in while
  5. Bolden can block and alter shots. Score in low post and grab rebound
  6. AOC At 6’6 and 20 pounds stronger next year is great option to come off the bench and knock down open three’s and he has the ability to drive to the basket.
  7. A Jr Javin will provide depth in the low post and some transition scoring and easy Dunks.
Spacing will be great. Ball pressure will be awesome on D. This is the ideal K team. My expectations are sky high for next year’s team.

Last edited:
I like next year’s team better than this past year’s team.

1. Barrett is the best player coming out of high school in a long time. 6’7 wing that has no real weaknesses can’t guard him one on one. He was best highschool basketball player in the world the two years.
  2. Cam is move athletic Jason Tatum / Grant Hill like player. Huge wing span and can hit the three ball and has great handle for his size.
  3. Zion is a more athletic Larry Johnson with a better handle and 6’11 wingspan. He can play outside in. Hard to guard him one on one at any level.
  4. Tre Jones has tremendous handles and as pure of a point Duke has had in while
  5. Bolden can block and alter shots. Score in low post and grab rebound
  6. AOC At 6’6 and 20 pounds stronger next year is great option to come off the bench and knock down open three’s and he has the ability to drive to the basket.
  7. A Jr Javin will provide depth in the low post and some transition scoring and easy Dunks.
Spacing will be great. Ball pressure will be awesome on D. This is the ideal K team. My expectations are skill high for next year’s team.
Don’t agree with all of this but i don’t think you’re off base.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
Wait, so I shouldn’t bother with CTC this year. D:&N this is the first time I’ll actually have time off to take my kids.

I don't have a problem with anyone being optimistic about this upcoming season, just think it's ok for others to not be as optimistic as some. The last 2 seasons we had the number one recruiting class, but got nothing to show for it but an acc title and 1st weekend exit, then this past team beat 3 no body's to get to the elite 8, where we lost to probably the worst Kansas team in years.
I think our freshmen coming in will be fun to watch, but also I find it odd to say Barrett is the best to come out of high school in a long time. Didn't we say that the last 2 seasons (Bagley/Giles)? Then to compare a guy to a former legend (Grant Hill) when he hasn't played the first game yet? That sounds a little premature to me, because the last time I checked, the season hadn't started yet.
I want us to as good as the next Duke fan, but opinions on the team should be allowed both ways. After all, we do have a little history on that side to support why some are just not wanting to be let down by the next greatest recruiting class.

Tross, cut out the optimistic crap, lower expectations man! thread title! thread title!

The thread title merely captures the theme of the article. If Cam plays like "Grant Hill," and Zion like "Larry Johnson" then we have no ceiling. However after the last two years of exceedingly high expectations I am going to hold off in my enthusiasm til this brand new group of starters takes the floor.

OFC

Sky’s, I’ll explain it to you. Some of these guys worry more about their board reputation on how well they predict the future than they do enjoying the journey. I mean a guy just said above we’ve accomplished nothing. I had a blast watching our last two teams. Lower expectations if ya want, I expect great things with this amazing haul. And my big ol happy ass will be at CTC if any of you wanna join me. I’m about done with this stupid ass whinefest of a thread anyway. Winning a NC takes many things, it not just the players, it’s how it all comes together, there’s ALWAYS a chance here. I always think optimism is a good thing. Bet your ass Mike Krzyzewski ain’t saying we won’t go anywhere next season. Saddle up "gentlemen", we got a ride comin’.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with anyone being optimistic about this upcoming season, just think it's ok for others to not be as optimistic as some. The last 2 seasons we had the number one recruiting class, but got nothing to show for it but an acc title and 1st weekend exit, then this past team beat 3 no body's to get to the elite 8, where we lost to probably the worst Kansas team in years.
I think our freshmen coming in will be fun to watch, but also I find it odd to say Barrett is the best to come out of high school in a long time. Didn't we say that the last 2 seasons (Bagley/Giles)? Then to compare a guy to a former legend (Grant Hill) when he hasn't played the first game yet? That sounds a little premature to me, because the last time I checked, the season hadn't started yet.
I want us to as good as the next Duke fan, but opinions on the team should be allowed both ways. After all, we do have a little history on that side to support why some are just not wanting to be let down by the next greatest recruiting class.

Stop with your realism, I mean pessimism!

You "pussy" you!!! Lol

Stop with your realism, I mean pessimism!

You "pussy" you!!! Lol
For real. We should all sit around a fire, holding hands. Not allowed to think nothing but lofty aspirations. Anything less, and they start screaming "Citizens Arrest!"
Words like asinine, whining bitches, pussies. And our board brags about how we are as compared to Heel fans and Kentucky fans.
Looks to me like the 3 different shades of blue are close to the same.

For real. We should all sit around a fire, holding hands. Not allowed to think nothing but lofty aspirations. Anything less, and they start screaming "Citizens Arrest!"
Words like asinine, whining bitches, pussies. And our board brags about how we are as compared to Heel fans and Kentucky fans.

Can we all chant "40 and oh" together sitting around the fire???!! I mean we're all supposed to be on the same page on a message board right?? Lmao....

OFC

I ain’t gonna attack you. It’s ur opinion, and I respectively disagree . I hate when people attack someone’s opinions, but mannnn you are really making it hard to go against my own rule . Lol. this isn’t Allen’s fault and even if it was (some) he defiantly wasn’t alone and all his fault.

It’s more blame on him than anyone else because he was the vet and was expected to produce more than he did. He took a step back from last year as a player. He went from preseason all American to a gift All-ACC team based solely off rep. So he gets the most blame of the players. Coach K get a lot of blame as well. The roles of certain players should’ve been different. Freshman Grayson was much better than the guy we had out there this year

Grayson’s role changed every year and he adapted well. He always played hard for Duke every single game. In ththe Kansas game, he stepped up and hit clutch free throws to keep Duke in the game. I thought the ball should have gone to Bags or Carter on that last possession, but I’m ok with Grayson taking the last shot. That shot hit every part of the rim and rolled out. That final play at the end of regulation didn’t lose Duke the game, it was the poor perimeter defense on Duke’s part, Carter in foul trouble, turnovers, Kansas defensive game plan against Bags, Allen and Trent being cold from 3 point range.

Tell me how the roles of certain players could have been different. Who why when and what .everything. In detail. im curious .If you’re K what do you do? You could have already said but I speed read and prolly skipped over it .or forgot lol. Kinda got all my attention on the blame you put on Allen and K and got me all screwed up.

Last edited:
Reactions: pisgah101
Sky’s, I’ll explain it to you. Some of these guys worry more about their board reputation on how well they predict the future than they do enjoying the journey. I mean a guy just said above we’ve accomplished nothing. I had a blast watching our last two teams. Lower expectations if ya want, I expect great things with this amazing haul. And my big ol happy ass will be at CTC if any of you wanna join me. I’m about done with this stupid ass whinefest of a thread anyway. Winning a NC takes many things, it not just the players, it’s how it all comes together, there’s ALWAYS a chance here. I always think optimism is a good thing. Bet your ass Mike Krzyzewski ain’t saying we won’t go anywhere next season. Saddle up pussies, we got a ride comin’.

I get it! I get it! Kind of thought that was it but wasn't sure. OFC

Reactions: timo0402

Barrett was the best high school player the last two years. He single handily beat the 19U USA team scoring by scoring 38 points when he was 16 and could easily lead the NBA in scoring one day.

The pieces fit better next year than the past two years. More guys that can play and guard multiple positions. A more cerebral point guard that won’t turn the ball over or make bad decisions.

Our 2016 class was plagued by injury Giles was never healthy to begin with and still has yet to play in the NBA.

Last year’s class the parts didn’t fit well. Duvall couldn’t shoot and made bad decisions. Allen couldn’t blend in with more talented players like Quinn Cook could his senior year.

Reactions: christophero
Barrett was the best high school player the last two years. He single handily beat the 19U USA team scoring by scoring 38 points when he was 16 and could easily lead the NBA in scoring one day.

The pieces fit better next year than the past two years. More guys that can play and guard multiple positions. A more cerebral point guard that won’t turn the ball over or make bad decisions.

Our 2016 class was plagued by injury Giles was never healthy to begin with and still has yet to play in the NBA.

Last year’s class the parts didn’t fit well. Duvall couldn’t shoot and made bad decisions. Allen couldn’t blend in with more talented players like Quinn Cook could his senior year.
Barrett's performance in that game is apparently one of the greatest individual performances on the international circuit, at any level. RJ could have gone to Mars right after that game, came back 2 years later, and still be the #1 pick.

USA basketball hadn't lost a single game since 2011, at any level, up until RJ hung 38 on them. I believe that to be correct?? It makes sense though, Cal was coaching team USA, I can imagine the look on Cal's face when he realized he had no answer for RJ, probably the same look he will be showing come November.

@ Tross282003, I agree with your post. RJ is a different animal than the top guys we have brought in the past few years. I'm not saying he's more talented than Bagley, but I'd rather have Duke's best player be a perimeter guy than a big guy. I just think our roster makes a lot more sense next year, the pieces fit better, and RJ is a massive reason for this.

Last edited:
I wish I could like half this...
:rolleyes: You should have said "worstestest KU team in years and years and years and years." That would have made it really over-the-top.

Yes X 824,672 to that first stretch of bold. Good grief w/ the hyperbole!

Opinions are allowed both ways and multiple other ways. Don't mistake unpopular for oppression.

Yeah, this is our 3rd recruiting championship in a row and possibly a 3rd straight preseason #1, right? Twice bitten and still not shy? Come on, let's settle down now...

Hey, you ended on an up-note, right? :)

As my dad always says the truth lies somewhere in the middle. The whole thing about freshman is you just don't know how they will be at this level. Top 10 freshman clearly have less risk. My only frustration is every year becomes a "let's hope they figure it out before the NBA deadline" race. It's starting to feel like Groundhog Day. The flip side of that coin is we're coming off an Elite 8 and have the number one class coming in with some returning role players. That is not exactly a program in decline.

As my dad always says the truth lies somewhere in the middle. The whole thing about freshman is you just don't know how they will be at this level. Top 10 freshman clearly have less risk. My only frustration is every year becomes a "let's hope they figure it out before the NBA deadline" race. It's starting to feel like Groundhog Day. The flip side of that coin is we're coming off an Elite 8 and have the number one class coming in with some returning role players. That is not exactly a program in decline.

This. None of us know, and based on this board:

- FF prediction or Title prediction = realistic, expert-level (and only) view
- Elite 8/S16 or less = eternal pessimist, candy-ass, "Nancy", know nothing about the game, you think you're better than Coach K and/or DaChump

Does that sound accurate?

Last edited:
Assuming no one transfers, we have more rotation players returning than last year. So I think that gives us more depth.

Assuming no one transfers, we have more rotation players returning than last year. So I think that gives us more depth.
Most transfers seem to be announced by now, we should be good on that front. I'm under the impression were still gonna add another guy....
Vernon Carey JR would be the gold-mine, top player in 2019, and given his age, we could have him for 2 years, YES PLEASE! Would make us super deep up front too.

Other than him, a grad-transfer would be nice. A shooter off the bench is hopefully what the coaches are aiming for, seems like a lot of these grad guys want guaranteed PT though, and we all know how K works. Not too sure if there are many grad-transfers good enough to walk in and immediately get PT on our team next year.

Coach used his bench more this year. I think this makes a big difference in guys staying and buying in.

Tell me how the roles of certain players could have been different. Who why when and what .everything. In detail. im curious .If you’re K what do you do? You could have already said but I speed read and prolly skipped over it .or forgot lol. Kinda got all my attention on the blame you put on Allen and K and got me all screwed up.

I would be glad to go into detail telling how I feel we should've played. First, I'll look at the strengths of each player offensively

*Trevon- penetrate and dish
*Grayson- spot up shooter who can put the ball on the floor on closeouts
*Gary- spot up shooter
*Marvin- post scorer and elite rebounder
*Wendell- post scorer, elite rebounder and reliable jump shooter

Now, we all knew coming into the season the most important person on the team would be Trevon. It's him because he's the point guard and we know we had two bigs that needed to get the ball along with two really good spot up shooters. How do you utilize a lineup like that? Have the shooters at the three point line and play a pick and role game. You can send Carter or Bagley to set the pick because both would be deadly rolling to the goal. While the other would be baseline. Both were pretty good mid range jump shooters and would crash the boards. Trevon is at his best attacking. He doesn't attack to score though. He attack to get his teammates involved which is exactly what we needed. Pick-and-roll should have been our main set this entire year. That would've helped Grayson and Gary even more. Having Trevon playing the way he played this year limited his skills and effect on the game. Trevon was the one person on offense that had a clear weakness, but his strength was better than the strengths of majority of the other players. By us running an offense that had him mostly standing on the perimeter, it didn't showcase our full potential as an offense. Grayson would've been a better shooter had we ran more pick-and-rolls for Trevon because he's an unselfish player and would've found Grayson. Grayson was at his best when his feet was already set. Letting him handle the ball was the worst thing for him. The defense was able to really key in on him and he lack the ball handling skills and quickness to beat a player off the dribble. Running the PNR also would've made it easier to get Bagley and Carter the ball in favorable spots. We didn't even run the side PNR against Kansas when Bagley would slip it and post up. That's Coach K's fault.

Defensively, we could have been more effective in man to man if we changed our style. Koach wanted to pressure the ball, but we played two bigs. Playing that style puts a lot of pressure on bigs because everybody (except us) spread the floor and ran a lot of pick and rolls. Marvin Bagley's defensive IQ was terrible which is not surprising. I'm sure he grew up playing the middle of the zone and was never taught defensive principles. He gets to college and has to learn rotations. That's not an easy thing to learn especially for a big that's used to playing close to the basket defensively. Wendell is a pretty good defender, but with us pressuring the ball and him having to cover 35 feet away from the basket against a guard was a challenge. Marques was much better at working the pick and roll because he attacked the ball handler (hard hedge). Grayson was our worse perimeter defender but if we packed the defense in he wouldn't have been a negative defensively. Our guards shouldn't have been extended out any further than 2 feet above the 3-point line. That would've made it easier on the big man. Guarding the pick and roll at 25 feet is much different than at 35 feet. The zone was a good move, but it's hard to win a championship playing zone. One good passing team that's making shots and you're gone.

The reason I give Grayson the most blame is because he's the leader and veteran. He didn't play well this year. We just needed him to be a 40% 3-pt shooter and we would've won the championship. Carter and Bagley should've let the team in shot attempts as well. Coach K gets the most blame because he didn't play the most important guy on the floor to his strength. When you have NBA skilled players, you need to run an NBA style offense. Having an athletic, pass first point guard who can't shoot just passing the ball around and standing on the perimeter does the offense a disservice. Rondo isn't the best player or best scorer on the Pelicans but you see who has the ball in his hands majority of the game attacking defenses and creating for his teammates. That could've been Trevon and that would've unlocked every player on the team's strengths

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT