ADVERTISEMENT

Baker Needed in 2018-19

DukeRev

Recruit
Mar 8, 2018
Lynchburg, VA
Was at countdown last night and Baker was really impressive. He was composed, under control, and took great shots (although he passed on an open 3).

There had been some talks of him taking a redshirt for this year but from what I can see with the motion 5 offense his shooting will be a huge weapon when the lane collapses.

I know Reddish and AOC can fill that role as well but if we learned anything from last year we need as many outside threats as possible. What do you guys think.

I agree. He has a skill set that is sorely needed with this bunch, especially if K is going 5 out. He stretches the floor and his size is a perimeter mismatch. His ball handling is still rough and he’s not going to do much inside, but he can stroke it. I say use him.

The 5 out requires a little bit of a bench, so the more the merrier. Would love to see JRob and his stroke get a few minutes too. Especially because he is a good defender.

Jack, JRob and Joey are all competing for the same spot. Mainly JRob and Joey (Jack is pretty set I think). If Joey can keep proving that he can provide some assistance without hurting the team, I say why wait.

I thought Baker showed a lot of promise. I believe he will play a huge roll in the next year or two.

I think his shooting is up to par but the rest of his game isn’t. His ball handling isn’t good and he also needs a year to get stronger. I think white, AOC, Javin and Marques will get mins before him. That would mean we would have to go more than 8 deep to get him regular minutes. I personally think he is better off redshirting this season and coming in strong next season.

Reactions: dukehokie
I've said it before but it bears repeating. Redshirting Baker only makes sense if you see him at Duke as a fifth-year senior.

That is not the expectation.

Exactly why I don't see him being redshirted. I think K is toying with the idea because he has expressed regret about not having done it in some instances in the past, most specifically with Ryan Kelly. Ultimately I think Baker plays.

While I do agree with his ball handling ability I still see value in a need shooting boost especially in a Motion 5 where Zion and Rj will command a lot of attention on cuts leaving shooters wide open. I guess maybe I just miss the days when you knew those 3s we're gonna fall and I believe Baker could become that for us eventually.

Exactly why I don't see him being redshirted. I think K is toying with the idea because he has expressed regret about not having done it in some instances in the past, most specifically with Ryan Kelly. Ultimately I think Baker plays.

Jabari and Kelly together would have been a nice combination that year.

Reactions: mbdfan
Was at countdown last night and Baker was really impressive. He was composed, under control, and took great shots (although he passed on an open 3).

There had been some talks of him taking a redshirt for this year but from what I can see with the motion 5 offense his shooting will be a huge weapon when the lane collapses.

I know Reddish and AOC can fill that role as well but if we learned anything from last year we need as many outside threats as possible. What do you guys think.

Think he will have a season similar to Grayson’s Freshman year (maybe more balanced), but think K is counting on him, Moore, AOC, and hopefully Tre to lead our team next year along with Carey or Stewart.

Reactions: DukeRev
He and AOC are kind of redundant, and there won’t be many minutes to go around once ACC starts.

My understanding is he can play 4 games and still redshirt so there's no hurry to decide.

I doubt he is still in college for 4 years. Since he will never exhaust his college eligibility, it makes no sense to redshirt him. May as well get his feet wet this year.

You guys are way off base. Coach K, being the master that he is, has already got things figured out.
Baker's playing, but K will decide possibly after 25-30 games whether he will be redshirted, and the NCAA will sign off on whatever K decides.
Dick Vitale is praising K yet again for being such the great coach and so far ahead of his time.

See him as the 9th man....jack as the 8th....hope baker does not redshirt. I know k only goes 7 to 8 deep but if injury happens he will be needed.

Whenever Joey puts on the strength and his body develops, the NBA will be ready for him. The kid can stroke it and is perfect for the modern game.

I say don’t redshirt him, we need his shooting this year, and we should consider ourselves blessed if we get Joey for 3+ years (including this year.)

redshirt for what? It's basketball. No good player really stays 4 years...let alone 5. if he's as good as we expect i don't think it matters. just let him play these 4 years

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
See him as the 9th man....jack as the 8th....hope baker does not redshirt. I know k only goes 7 to 8 deep but if injury happens he will be needed.

Kid might be the best shooter on the team....9th man right now depending on matchups. Let the dude play!!

Telling you. He will play a very similar role that Grayson did his FR year. He will get wide open looks out of the corners for 3 because our opponents will have to respect RJ and Zion’s ability to drive the ball and won’t be able to help off Cam.

He may start off the year as the 9th man but by mid season, he will be fighting AOC, Javin or Ques (depending who starts between Javin & Ques) for that 2nd player off the bench role.

redshirt for what? It's basketball. No good player really stays 4 years...let alone 5. if he's as good as we expect i don't think it matters. just let him play these 4 years
Amile Jefferson provided a lot over his 5 years - including his good defensive effort against the NPOY in the title game in 2015. I'd hardly say no good player stays 4 years. Grayson (All-American) also says hello.
Nova's team last year had 5 players who had red-shirted.

Amile Jefferson provided a lot over his 5 years - including his good defensive effort against the NPOY in the title game in 2015. I'd hardly say no good player stays 4 years. Grayson (All-American) also says hello.
Nova's team last year had 5 players who had red-shirted.

I see what you are saying, but Amile would not have stayed five had he of not gotten hurt. Also, Villanova's situation is incredibly rare. Of all those redshirts, I think only one was a decided redshirt. The others were precipitated by injury or academics.

Sorry Show. Weak effort and being funny showing K would play him all season then possibly red shirt him. The other fan bases say he gets away with anything he wants and that Dickie V loves him so much.

Honestly, I don't think he will red shirt. Agree with Sumner. Unless Baker is planning on being at Duke for at least four years.

I was very impressed with him in the Canada games. I made a prediction on another board that he would be All-ACC someday. I am very much in favor of him being in the main rotation this year although that would probably require him to eat into the minutes for White and Vrank (assuming we would go small) both of whom I also want to see get minutes.

Am I the only one seeing Vrank getting damn near no minutes? Lol

Am I the only one seeing Vrank getting damn near no minutes? Lol
Unless if Bolden is just an absolute disaster, than I don't see Vrank getting much more than emergency/injury/garbage time minutes.

Bolden was good last year, so I'm confused by him. He showed zero during CTC.

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
Gonzaga is probably the gold-standard for redshirting. Some of their guys have really benefited from that extra year. Take a look at some of the Zags from this decade alone that have had planned redshirts:

Josh Heytvelt (14.9 ppg as a senior)
Kelly Olynyk (1st Team All-American)
Robert Sacre (4-year NBA Vet)
David Stockton (1 year in the NBA)
Sam Dower (14.4 ppg as a senior)
Zach Norvell (12.7 ppg as a freshmen; current redshirt sophmore)

My view is that Baker should play...

But I see them planning to redshirt him unless injuries would occur to open PT for him.

I think tonight you will at least know their intentions, because if he is NOT redshirting he would get PT tonight. Am I correct that playing in an exhibition game would burn his RS season? Or have they changed he rule?

My view is that Baker should play...

But I see them planning to redshirt him unless injuries would occur to open PT for him.

I think tonight you will at least know their intentions, because if he is NOT redshirting he would get PT tonight. Am I correct that playing in an exhibition game would burn his RS season? Or have they changed he rule?
He can play in exhibitions just the same as the Canada tour.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT