ADVERTISEMENT

Amile Joins the Staff

Wow what a great move. One of my favorite players. Without him, we don't win in 2015. Can help with the big men.

Reactions: sheyduke
Great hire. He can coach a lot of things one being how to contribute to teams success by being a great role player. OFC

No that sounds right. I thought he was going to Kentucky, so I was glad he picked us.

Amile is the reason why we should not criticize recruits for "delaying " their decisions. One statement of his really stood out to me. He said when he walked up to the podium he still hadn't made up his mind. He wasn't really sure what to do. Walking to the podium! Now, quick, name me a more dedicated member of the Brotherhood than Amile.
He also improved as much as any big we have ever had. From a skinny, overmatched guy forced to play a role he wasn't ready for, to a key role player deferring to higher rated but younger teammates, to a total stud as an upper classman.

Amile and Grayson might be our last McDonald's all americans who stay 4 years. Marshall was one too. Moore and Roach are possibilities.

Last edited:
Reactions: Liftee
Great hire. He can coach a lot of things one being how to contribute to teams success by being a great role player. OFC
Is he allowed to be on the bench as a assistant coach and go on the recruiting trail since he was hired as Director of Player Development? Don’t know the answer. Sounds like an administrative role versus coaching & recruiting role. Would love to see Amile work with our big men on skill development.

Is he allowed to be on the bench as a assistant coach and go on the recruiting trail since he was hired as Director of Player Development? Don’t know the answer. Sounds like an administrative role versus coaching & recruiting role. Would love to see Amile work with our big men on skill development.
He is taking Nolan's old spot and yes his interaction with the team will be limited. But after this year, there will be a coaching vacancy and he will likely slide into that.

He is taking Nolan's old spot and yes his interaction with the team will be limited. But after this year, there will be a coaching vacancy and he will likely slide into that.
Wasn’t Nolan able to go on the road recruiting in the above role? Like the idea of him taking over the open assistant coach role that will be created once Scheyer moves to HC.

Love Amile but we are really leaning into the youth movement coaching wise. We will see how it plays out.

Last edited:
Love Amile but we are really leaning into the youth movement coaching wise. We will see how it plays out.
But all the players on the staff have brought a championship home to Durham. They know what it takes and what it means to be a part of Duke basketball. All excelled under K and stayed four years and won the ultimate prize. Two switched roles. One had to man up when he was way overwhelmed and one just played his heart out. We see youth, they see each one as a vital member that bought into K’s coaching and excelled to bring home the overall goal. A national championship and each took their share of bashing only to come out on top. I don’t look at youth , I look at an extension of coach K and a legacy that will continue forward.

Guys like Amile may have not coached in other places, but I'm sure someone as smart as he is picked up a lot of different ways of doing things from all the coaches he had in the pros. How is that unlike Juwan Howard who is doing very well?

I could see Scheyer replacing Carrawell with an assistant coach with more experience that he is closer to. Whether or not he does that in year one or gives Carrawell a season could depend on who is available. I’d love to see Scheyer hire Wojo to replace Carrawell but dont know how feasible that is. Scheyer played for Wojo, and currently, Wojo is out of work. Just not sure if Wojo is willing to be an assistant coach again.

Reactions: christophero
Love this hire! I hope he can bring some energy to the team and to the bench during games.

Reactions: Liftee

I think the coaching vacancy will be filled by someone with head coaching experience and obviously connected to the Duke family. Think kind of along the lines of what UNC did with Jeff Lebo.

IMO, the perfect candidate would be Mike Brey. Unfortunately, his contract at Notre Dame isn't set to expire until 2025.

Guys like Amile may have not coached in other places, but I'm sure someone as smart as he is picked up a lot of different ways of doing things from all the coaches he had in the pros. How is that unlike Juwan Howard who is doing very well?
Well, Juwan spent 7 years as an assistant coach with the Miami Heat, and had interest around the league.

Reactions: christophero
I think the coaching vacancy will be filled by someone with head coaching experience and obviously connected to the Duke family. Think kind of along the lines of what UNC did with Jeff Lebo.

IMO, the perfect candidate would be Mike Brey. Unfortunately, his contract at Notre Dame isn't set to expire until 2025.
agree...dont think amile jumps into that after 1 season

I will be very surprised, even shocked, if Scheyer brings in an experienced head coach to be an assistant coach, behind both him and the associate head coach. Hubie Brown isn't walking through that door (although I would take him in a heartbeat even at age 82 or whatever).

Scheyer, Brey, and Nolan all on the same coaching staff gives me very nice feelings.

Reactions: hart2chesson
You need some experience. That they won titles as players is nice, but we're not assembling a pick up team. And coach K won't be there at halftime or during time outs. I don't know if I've ever heard of a staff with no head coaching experience. Maybe it's a stroke of genius who knows.

Last edited:
I agree. Jon will do some pressors, interviews and draw up some plays. He has been taught by the best and he can and will relate to the youngsters coming up. We also will have a very young coaching staff. Not sure if it is the youngest in the conference or the nation but very young? OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT