ADVERTISEMENT

All-ACC Academic Team

DiehardDukeFan4Life

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Jan 21, 2011
According to GoDuke.com Duke had 5 team members make the All-ACC Academic Team: Amile Jefferson (3rd straight year), Marshall Plumlee, Grayson Allen, Jusise Winslow and Tyus Jones. I've got a feeling that our other players probably just barely missed making the All-ACC Academic Team.

Good job to all the Devils that made the list. Sorry you have to actually go to class to earn the honors; unlike your counterparts at Cheater Hill.

That's great to see that Grayson, Justise and Tyus aren't just there for basketball and are holding their own in the classroom too, which is not easy given the time the devote to the team. Bravo (to Amile and Marsall too)!

That's five of our eight(?) scholarship players--not bad.

I also was very surprised to see UVA with no honorees.

Congrats to all the Duke players who made it, great job on the floor, and in the classroom.

18 of the 22 honorees were from Louisville, Duke, Virginia Tech, and Pittsburgh... Virgina, BC, ND, Syracuse, FSU, Wake, and NC State were without a single student athlete on the All-ACC Academic Team. From the outside it appears that most schools (either through coaches or academic advisors) try to guide their players towards certain majors. I'm guessing Communications is that way at Louisville... Duke really is no different. You'd be hard pressed to find five players in the last 25 years who haven't majored in History, Sociology, Psychology, Political Science, or African-American Studies. Matt Christensen received a degree in Civil Engineering, Shane Battier in Religion, and Nick Horvath in Physics. I'm sure there are others out there, but not many.

Originally posted by dukedevilz:

18 of the 22 honorees were from Louisville, Duke, Virginia Tech, and Pittsburgh... Virgina, BC, ND, Syracuse, FSU, Wake, and NC State were without a single student athlete on the All-ACC Academic Team. From the outside it appears that most schools (either through coaches or academic advisors) try to guide their players towards certain majors. I'm guessing Communications is that way at Louisville... Duke really is no different. You'd be hard pressed to find five players in the last 25 years who haven't majored in History, Sociology, Psychology, Political Science, or African-American Studies. Matt Christensen received a degree in Civil Engineering, Shane Battier in Religion, and Nick Horvath in Physics. I'm sure there are others out there, but not many.
Horvath was a double major: Physics and English.

Originally posted by Mark Gastineau:

Originally posted by dukedevilz:

Horvath was a double major: Physics and English.
Wasn't Langdon a math major?

To my surprise Louisville had the most with 7 including Montrezl Harrell, Duke was next with 5 and that team down the road had only one with Marcus Page.

Maybe other UNC players were eligible but Roy had them turn it down.

ofc

Originally posted by gottagonow:

Maybe other UNC players were eligible but Roy had them turn it down.

ofc
gottago, that's rich (lmao)!! Great timing!!
roll.r191677.gif

JC-OFC

This post was edited on 3/6 10:15 PM by JCColsCane

Originally posted by Mark Gastineau:
What's up with all the Communication majors at Louisville?
Communications is a very common major for football and basketball athletes, read into that what you will.

Most highly rated recruits playing basketball in the ACC are majoring in basketball. It's the most lucrative career choice for them.

Duke had 2 Lady Blue Devils (Rebecca Greeneell and Elizabeth Williams) make the women's All-ACC Academic team. That's 7 total players from the men's and women's basketball teams to make the All-ACC Academic Team this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT