ADVERTISEMENT

Digging deep for new threads.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
Duke's best player by the number they wore.

0 Jason Tatum
1 Kyrie Irving (Tough call between Kyrie and Parker )
2 Deng
3 Grayson Allen
4 JJ Redick
5 Luke Kennard
10 Dick Groat
11 Bobby Hurley
12 Kyle Singler
13 Matt Jones
14 Willie Hodge
15 Okafor
20 Gene Banks
21 Amile Jefferson.( Bet you all happy I didn't choose Bilas )
22 Jay Williams
23. Shelden Williams
24 Johnny Dawkins
25 Art Heyman
30 Jon Scheyer
31 Shane Battier
32 Christian Laettner
33 Grant Hill
34 Jim Spanarkel
35 Danny Ferry
40 Marshall Plumlee (Oh yeah)
41 Matt Christiansen ( find me a better 41)
42 Elton Brand
43 Mike Gminski
44 Jeff Mullins
45 Danny Meagher
50 Corey Maghetti
51 Marty Nessley (again find me a better 51)
52 Steve Vandenberg (look him up )
53 Chris Redding ( look him up )
54 Warren Chapman ( look him up )
55 Billy King

OFC

Last edited:

0 Jason Tatum
2 Deng
3 Grayson Allen
4 JJ Redick
5 Luke Kennard
10 Dick Groat
11 Bobby Hurley
12 Kyle Singler
13 Rodney Hood
14 Willie Hodge
15 Okafor
20 Gene Banks
22 Jay Williams
23. Shelden Williams
24 Johnny Dawkins
25 Art Heyman
30 Jon Scheyer
31 Shane Battier
32 Christian Laettner
33 Grant Hill
34 Jim Spanarkel
35 Danny Ferry
42 Elton Brand
43 Mike Gminski
44 Jeff Mullins
45 Danny Meagher
50 Corey Maghetti
55 Billy King

OFC
Rodney Hood wore 5. So still need one for 13. I think one of the toughest numbers to decide is 21- I think I'd lean Trajan Langdon over Amile.

Sub zero 0 for the Austin Rivers shot at Carolina one of the craziest finishes you will ever see ever...just because of that game he gets my vote at duke and he played more games in his one year.

Sky Mike Lewis wore # 42 as well.Brand was certainly more talented but I am torn between taking his one year of excellence over Lewis's three years.To me this is a tie

Reactions: skysdad
Sky Mike Lewis wore # 42 as well.Brand was certainly more talented but I am torn between taking his one year of excellence over Lewis's three years.To me this is a tie

Even though Brand got hurt his freshman year, he was still exceptional. His two years were superior to Lewis's tree IMO. And that's saying something because Lewis is one of Duke's toughest big men.

There's a fine line between contribution and talent in this thread. For instance, I'm torn at #21 between Langdon and Duhon. Also at #5 between Hood, Kennard and Marty Pocius's calves.

Reactions: DukeDenver
Side note, I met #53 Chris Redding a few years ago in DC. I jokingly asked did he play basketball (because he's very tall), and was shocked when he said he was a Duke alum. Very nice guy in my book.

Could be. At least he got a full season under his belt and was having a breakout year in the NBA.OFC
I think it's hands down Jabari for two reasons in this order:
1. Jabari was ACC ROY, 1st team all ACC, should have been ACC POY, All-American first team and national freshman of the year.
2. We unfortunately only got to see Kyrie for 11 games- awesome games but only 11.

Side note, I met #53 Chris Redding a few years ago in DC. I jokingly asked did he play basketball (because he's very tall), and was shocked when he said he was a Duke alum. Very nice guy in my book.

I was at Duke when Redding played. Kind of a skinny 6'9" but a great shooter and had a knack for getting to the foul line where he didn't miss. Just because Duke didn't have good records in those days doesn't mean they didn't have some decent players. The ACC was unbelievable in the early '70s.

I was at Duke when Redding played. Kind of a skinny 6'9" but a great shooter and had a knack for getting to the foul line where he didn't miss. Just because Duke didn't have good records in those days doesn't mean they didn't have some decent players. The ACC was unbelievable in the early '70s.

Redding, Shaw, Fleicher, Billerman, Hodge....

OFC

Wonder how many of our fans would still be fans if they had have gone thru the Bucky Waters years.Those years have made me appreciate the last thirty years even more than I would have if not for those hard times

Wonder how many of our fans would still be fans if they had have gone thru the Bucky Waters years.Those years have made me appreciate the last thirty years even more than I would have if not for those hard times

Went thru those years and thats when the dropoff started. I like Bucky, but he alienated too many good players and transfers followed....We were a shell of what we could have been.We wont talk about McGeachy...

OFC

Those were some tough years and I was a critic of Bucky as a coach but he was a very kind and nice man. OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
Actually Bucky had a winning record at Duke 63-40 OFC . That's a .620 winning percentage. OFC
I'll admit I've been spoiled by Coach K. Once your team becomes the best in the country, it makes it hard to accept the years you don't win it all. I know it's not fair and it is whining. My younger brother is an NC State fan, and they truly know what misery is.

I'll admit I've been spoiled by Coach K. Once your team becomes the best in the country, it makes it hard to accept the years you don't win it all. I know it's not fair and it is whining. My younger brother is an NC State fan, and they truly know what misery is.

Well Coach K wasn't burning up the win column his first 3 years or so. I was a big Bill Foster supporter and was devastated when he left. If we had this board back then I would have been burning Tom Butters ears off. OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
Well Coach K wasn't burning up the win column his first 3 years or so. I was a big Bill Foster supporter and was devastated when he left. If we had this board back then I would have been burning Tom Butters ears off. OFC

Same here Sky....First year he did ok. Next 2 yrs awful, but Butters spotted something in K to maintain him.....I would've also burned Butters ears for firing Red Wilson...

OFC

Reactions: Mac9192 and skysdad
Went thru those years and thats when the dropoff started. I like Bucky, but he alienated too many good players and transfers followed....We were a shell of what we could have been.We wont talk about McGeachy...

OFC
Never have blamed MsGeachy thought he was placed in a no win situation

0 Jason Tatum
2 Deng
3 Grayson Allen
4 JJ Redick
5 Luke Kennard
10 Dick Groat
11 Bobby Hurley
12 Kyle Singler
13 Matt Jones
14 Willie Hodge
15 Okafor
20 Gene Banks
22 Jay Williams
23. Shelden Williams
24 Johnny Dawkins
25 Art Heyman
30 Jon Scheyer
31 Shane Battier
32 Christian Laettner
33 Grant Hill
34 Jim Spanarkel
35 Danny Ferry
42 Elton Brand
43 Mike Gminski
44 Jeff Mullins
45 Danny Meagher
50 Corey Maghetti
55 Billy King

OFC
What a great thread! Man that was fun going through!

Yeah he proved that one time unfortunately in 17 seconds.....

OFC

McGeachy was a GREAT SALESMAN. Got involved in Sugar Creek Enterprises right after coaching, a promotional outfit. More to his niche than coaching ever was.

His inability to devise simple in bounds plays w/a 6 point lead w/17 secs reduced Duke to a national joke until Bill Foster turned things around.Dont forget his ill-fated crosscourt pass play in Cameron from 3/4 court vs UNC earlier in the year intercepted and turned into a buzzer beating layup for the win was pretty embarrassing too...

That team by ACC standards admittedly wasnt quite up to par. However w/Fleischer, Hodge, Redding, Billerman, Armstrong,Kramer etc it should have been an NIT type club....

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT