ADVERTISEMENT

Alex O'Connell?

BD Warrior

Recruit
Sep 20, 2006
I kind of get the feeling this kid is going to be better than I thought. I like his game. Very nice shot. He plays on team full of NBA players. If he was at most other schools he would be a starter. Thoughts?

I'm sure Alex would be a starter at many schools, but I don't want him anywhere but Duke! Not only does he have a nice shot, but he's got hops, energy, and competitiveness.

OFC

I was really pleased with his play last night, and I, too, have conservative expectations for him this year. Everything I've heard indicates he needs a year or so to develop physically.

It was against an overmatched opponent, so I don't want to heap all kinds of pressure on him or anything, but he did everything we could have hoped for in that situation. If he ends up able to contribute this year in the heart of the season, it'll be a pleasant surprise.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Alex will follow the Grayson & Luke path. Really develop as a Fr, add off season strength and as a Soph become an all around player. Prob for him is Cam and RJ will get a bulk of the minutes. Prob for opposing teams is when the Duke Fr (Tre, Cam & RJ) are off the court, the Duke Soph (Jordan G, Alex and Jordan T) will be no slouches. Mix in Jack and that back court is going to be unreal. I would pay money just to see them play 3v3.

I believe Alex will suprise so many people... We need scoring off the bench and he has the best pure shot of any option from the bench.... Jack white and Jordan Tucker need to step up or he for sure gonna leap frog them in the rotation. Goldwire looked poised as a solid back up... But Alex just has that sky High IQ and is really a legit 6'5- 6'6...... Big things from him

Alex is gonna be a stud for us by the time he’s a jr or sr. Love what he brought last night. He looks like he enjoys the hell out of wearing that Duke uniform. Gonna be one of my favs for sure.

Did anyone notice how easily Goldwire stayed in front of his man? His fouls were reaching in when he was in a position that he didn't have to do that. I think he is going to be a lock down defender, perhaps as good as Sean Dockery.

When I first seen him I thought who the heck is this lanky white kid. It just took a few minutes of watching him to realize he can play. There is reason he was rated high in high school.

I'm sure Alex would be a starter at many schools, but I don't want him anywhere but Duke! Not only does he have a nice shot, but he's got hops, energy, and competitiveness.

OFC

After watching him last night you can just see he will be real good for Duke. So glad we have him.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
He can stroke it. I could deff see him stealing some minutes this year. If K keeps up a rotation like last night I think everyone will be very happy

I really like his energy and attitude. Seems to really enjoy being at Duke. I also see him getting a little more playing time this year than expected. I don't see many games this season with low energy for this team, but I really feel like Alex can and will give us a "boost" when he gets into the game, along with Javin. Alex is going to become a fan favorite, no doubt.
Go Duke!
OFC

Its only one game but i have to admit i was walking away last night extremely impressed by AOC. He is so cocky in a good way, very inpressive.

When he decided to compete in the CTC dunk contest told me a lot about this kid. He ain't afraid of nothing or nobody. Future team captain. OFC

I'm very happy to see all the non starting freshmend we have. They all seem confident and not afraid to be on the court. I've seen a lot of kids come in and act like they are afraid to be near the ball, but they seem to embrace the moment. I'm looking forward to their growth this season and the ones to come.

I am really impressed with his play. He differently has a high basketball IQ. He is not as thin as I thought he was going to be. I'm looking forward to see him progress!!!
OFC

I love O’Connell. Dude can really shoot it. He’s definitely gonna be a valuable player for us.

Makes plays every time he is in. Rebounds in traffic and is not afraid of the moment-so far. Love what he has shown in 2 games. Does seem to have that "it" factor.

He might have the early ‘lead’ for that coveted 8th spot we’ve talked so much about. I’ve been very impressed so far.
Jack White looks pretty good in the minutes he's played too. He's an athletic kid that is also strong. He knows the system and seems to accept his role. This kid is 6-7 225 lbs. He's one that the more he plays the better he will do.

He has that Grayson swag that could help us down the road. Just watch!

The beauty of what Alex has done so far is that he hasn’t made any “hurt the team” plays. Turnovers, etc. are things that usually get a freshman who’s lower on the totem pole sat. Alex hasn’t done that, and on top of that, he’s played really good defense as well. I’m with the group thinking he plays sooner than later. IMO he has the lead on Goldwire.

Goldwire has been solid, but he has to run the team with a little more fluidity. He’s almost there though, and I don’t think K would hesitate to put him in if needed.

I couldn’t have been more wrong though about JRob getting time haha. I really thought he earned some time in practice and exhibition play.

Tuesday night will say a lot about who is getting time in early ACC play.

Maybe, maybe not. Judging from his talk last night in the postgame presser, don’t expect K to get very creative or be surprised if just seven or eight play. He views Tuesday night as very important for his team’s development, not individually. I expect a rather tight rotation with the ‘normal’ seven and maybe some minutes sprinkled in for Alex or Jordan G.

The beauty of what Alex has done so far is that he hasn’t made any “hurt the team” plays. Turnovers, etc. are things that usually get a freshman who’s lower on the totem pole sat. Alex hasn’t done that, and on top of that, he’s played really good defense as well. I’m with the group thinking he plays sooner than later. IMO he has the lead on Goldwire.

Goldwire has been solid, but he has to run the team with a little more fluidity. He’s almost there though, and I don’t think K would hesitate to put him in if needed.

I couldn’t have been more wrong though about JRob getting time haha. I really thought he earned some time in practice and exhibition play.

The only thing for sure is we really don't know what will happen. Everyone's now praising O'Connell, when before the season started, I only remember 1 poster on here, Hart, complimenting the kid. I'm like 99% of the other posters, I thought he was too skinny. I was there Friday night, and the kid is legit, and not as frail looking as I thought.
Goldwire is the other kid. He is not too bad for a 3 star. I'll go as far as saying he's a closer comparison to Deryck Thornton than Tyler.

The only thing for sure is we really don't know what will happen. Everyone's now praising O'Connell, when before the season started, I only remember 1 poster on here, Hart, complimenting the kid. I'm like 99% of the other posters, I thought he was too skinny. .

You are VERY KIND sir. Part of that just comes on a hunch my friend from watching his dad at Duke about 45+ years ago....Papa Dave was tough as nails.. Kid is too... What 5 boards in 9 minutes last nite? Thanks for the shout out Mac. That comes from the "HART." OFC

Reactions: skysdad
Maybe, maybe not. Judging from his talk last night in the postgame presser, don’t expect K to get very creative or be surprised if just seven or eight play. He views Tuesday night as very important for his team’s development, not individually. I expect a rather tight rotation with the ‘normal’ seven and maybe some minutes sprinkled in for Alex or Jordan G.

That’s exactly what I mean. If that’s what K does on Tuesday, I have a feeling that’s what he’ll do to start ACC play. Maybe not by February, but late in December and early January, I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see only 7-8 guys play.

Right now outside of Bolden and DeLaurier, the clubhouse leader for me would be AOC with Grayson playing point if Duval has to sit.

That’s exactly what I mean. If that’s what K does on Tuesday, I have a feeling that’s what he’ll do to start ACC play. Maybe not by February, but late in December and early January, I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see only 7-8 guys play.

Right now outside of Bolden and DeLaurier, the clubhouse leader for me would be AOC with Grayson playing point if Duval has to sit.
Why can't it be O'Connell and Goldwire? Is the team better with Allen at point and O'Connell in the game or Allen at the 2 with Goldwire running point? The team is better with Allen off ball.
There's no reason to think O'Connell or whoever can't spell Trent or even Allen, if he gets breaks and Goldwire for Duval.
The problem is the two being discussed now for the minutes were afterthoughts 2 weeks ago. Don't forget Jack White either guys. He's no scrub.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT