ADVERTISEMENT

A little off- season trivia gang!

i agree I hated it

If you don't mind me asking, what is it about the film that you found to be so terrible? The artistic aesthetics alone are enough for me to wax poetic about film. The musical score by Hildur Guonadottir is hauntingly beautiful. Sher's cinematography is drab, cold, and perfectly captures the decay of Gotham, aka New York City, in the 80's. And then there's the breathtakingly terrifying performance from Phoenix. This guy perfectly captures the mental deterioration of the character Arthur Fleck. Todd Phillips focusing in on a system that fails Arthur, like it fails so many, is another reason to appreciate the film. I mean, the social commentary on how we treat the mentally ill in our country is on point in the film. Plus, the homages to Scorsese's films like Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy just intensifies my love for the film. I get it, we all have different tastes. I just find it hard to understand how someone could hate it. There's just so much going on in this film.

If you don't mind me asking, what is it about the film that you found to be so terrible? The artistic aesthetics alone are enough for me to wax poetic about film. The musical score by Hildur Guonadottir is hauntingly beautiful. Sher's cinematography is drab, cold, and perfectly captures the decay of Gotham, aka New York City, in the 80's. And then there's the breathtakingly terrifying performance from Phoenix. This guy perfectly captures the mental deterioration of the character Arthur Fleck. Todd Phillips focusing in on a system that fails Arthur, like it fails so many, is another reason to appreciate the film. I mean, the social commentary on how we treat the mentally ill in our country is on point in the film. Plus, the homages to Scorsese's films like Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy just intensifies my love for the film. I get it, we all have different tastes. I just find it hard to understand how someone could hate it. There's just so much going on in this film.

none of that at all haha and no I don’t mind. It was honestly too dark and gritty for me. I like some stuff like that but that was too much for me. I loved the joker as a kid watching Batman cartoons. And I think Heath Ledgers performance can’t be touched.. all that being said the their was a sequel I’d probably watch it just to see what happen

none of that at all haha and no I don’t mind. It was honestly too dark and gritty for me. I like some stuff like that but that was too much for me. I loved the joker as a kid watching Batman cartoons. And I think Heath Ledgers performance can’t be touched.. all that being said the their was a sequel I’d probably watch it just to see what happen

Fair enough. I can appreciate that every person who has played the Joker has brought something different to the role. I didn't care for Leto's portrayal, but I think that has more to do with the unnecessary tattoos and lack of screen time in Suicide Squad. I've heard there's a ton of footage we will probably never see sadly. Hated the 60's Batman TV series. Romero is too hokey for my tastes. Nicholson's performance is fun in Batman '89, but it feels more like a hybrid of Cesar Romero and Jack Torrance from The Shining to a lesser degree. We needed more of the The Shining Jack in that one. Which is probably why I preferred Batman Returns more as a kid and still do. Nolan's trilogy was perfect in my opinion and Ledger is amazing as the anarchistic version of the Joker. Mark Hamill's Joker in the animated series, games, and other films is iconic as well. His laugh is my favorite. Definitely captures the manic energy of the character so well. That said, I feel as if Phoenix tapped into something we've never seen with this character. After Ledger I didn't think it was possible, but he did and made it his own. Alas, we can agree to disagree. That said, an R-rated sequel that takes place 12-15 years later with a young Batman would be freaking amazing. Seeing his Joker going up against a Batman in that world excites the hell out of me personally.

Reactions: pisgah101
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT