ADVERTISEMENT

'21-'22... your main concerns going into the season

bullettoothtony

All American
Mar 29, 2010
What say you, gents?

My first is probably point guard play. Everyone knows about its importance in the tournament. Moreover, our best teams had high level point guard play, and while I think Roach is capable, it is an area of considerable concern.

Balanced scoring, on two fronts. Perimeter/interior, and at least four double digit average scorers. I think we'll have both but it's still a concern. I don't want Paolo to have to shoulder too much of the scoring responsibility. I'm fine if he averages, say, 22 a game, as long as we have relatively consistent contributions from others.

Shooting. No need to elaborate.

COVID

Roach/AJ being patient and understanding they can just as much affect the game scoring only a few baskets.

Wendell’s bulldozing through the paint and whether that corner has turned. Sounds like he will have a breakout year though.

Mark/P5 not getting as many touches as they should.

Joey continuing to let it fly even if he misses a few.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Some of my questions were answered in the last week seeing the guys in action. Roach is a question mark, and who knows how far AJ will be behind when he comes back. Shooting is always a question. So my prediction that we are roughly a sweet 16/Elite Eight team, with Theo and Keels better than I expected but AJ out, still stands. I think something we need to do is be peaking as a team in March. But if all the chips fall into place, we could go to the final four. I think Moore being consistent will be a big plus. If we get AJ back and he is good enough to start or be a 6th starter type, that makes us deeper and roughly on par with our recent Elite Eight teams, with a shot to win it all. We could be very good defensively and rebounding.

Last edited:
Some of my questions were answered in the last week seeing the guys in action. Roach is a question mark, and who knows how far AJ will be behind when he comes back. Shooting is always a question. So my prediction that we are roughly a sweet 16/Elite Eight team, with Theo and Keels better than I expected but AJ out, still stands. I think something we need to do is be peaking as a team in March. But if all the chips fall into place, we could go to the final four. I think Moore being consistent will be a big plus. If we get AJ back and he is good enough to start or be a 6th starter type, that makes us deeper and roughly on par with our recent Elite Eight teams, with a shot to win it all. We could be very good defensively and rebounding.
What over the last week has concerned you about Roach? Just asking

Reactions: KDSTONE
Health. If AJ comes back and is anywhere near as good as advertised and we stay injury free, we are a top 5 team.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
Team chemistry. Anytime you bring in a new group of kids, you have to work hard to create an identity, and a complementary blend of playing styles.

Coach K has largely done this well, and we've even been on the cusp of TWO FINAL FOURS since the '15 natty. However the ultimate TEAM chemistry would land these young but uber-talented Devils in the FINAL FOUR and cutting down the nets in his final year. In fact K's own success over 40+ years has some Duke fans claiming another natty is overdue. We'll see.

OFC

Team chemistry. Anytime you bring in a new group of kids, you have to work hard to create an identity, and a complementary blend of playing styles.

Coach K has largely done this well, and we've even been on the cusp of TWO FINAL FOURS since the '15 natty. However the ultimate TEAM chemistry would land these young but uber-talented Devils in the FINAL FOUR and cutting down the nets in his final year. In fact K's own success over 40+ years has some Duke fans claiming another natty is overdue. We'll see.

OFC
Braves natty Is overdue old pal. I hope max no hits these clowns old pal!!!!!

Just asking for a friend? Not so much the last week as the last year!!
Roach barely scored in countdown to craziness or the scrimmages and was not really penetrating with sucesss. And Blakes seems ahead of him defensively. We need him to be more to become elite and not simply good imo. I still think he can get there. Keels has been way more impressive. Nearly every article I have read has listed pg as a question mark. He can still get there but right now looks the same as last year. Look at Moore, some guys just need time. That said, we are really good 2 thru 5 so that may be enough. But Keels may hit the freshman wall. We looked great in the Nova highlights.

Last edited:
Reactions: KDSTONE
So we have some nice competition brewing. When Griffin comes back, will he be impressive enough to earn a starting position? If so, who goes to the bench? Maybe a competition between Keels and Roach? I think competition is great and I don't think we've had this lately.

Reactions: christophero
Given that we havent seen a single game - the constants and formula for a good, competitive and winning team remain - consistent defense, rebounding, distributed scoring including reliable 3pt shooting and good point guard play. If we get these we will be fine..and would be every year if we got them.

Game threads when the team is not playing well
I hear you gap. I can't stand it when posters knows how we would have won the game. They post more when we lose thn win and I can't figure that out. Thanks for bringing it up. I thought about it but the words just didn't come up. You said in perfectly. OFC

I lurk on several Duke boards and this is by far the most civil. DBR isnt bad but the other one is brutal ha

Free throws, attacking the basket, ball movement, talking on defense , team rebounding , rebounding in general, utilizing every players strengths with in the fist model.
roach I’ll worry about after his first real test.
three point shooting might be a concern but I don’t want this team lurking around the ark and jacking up contested three after contested three. Balance scoring will open up the floor and the two forces Duke has down low will allow for easy offensive rebounds and kicking back out. Which has always been a part of Dukes best three point shooting teams.

Reactions: Liftee
1. Manage turnovers
2. Hit free throws.

We do those two things, and I believe this team will be a nightmare to beat.

Reactions: sheyduke
Like sheyduke pointed out free throw shooting or making especially during crunch time. We win games on good free throw shooting and lose on bad free throw shooting. It seems like it's been a while since we had a really good free throw shooting team. I don't know why. Is it not a big deal in high school or AAU. Overall defense. I want to see our guys slapping the floor no matter how much opposing fans make fun of it. I thought last year we defended the 3 pointer pretty poor. Hope that changes this year since we seem more quicker and athletic. One thing that has me wondering is every year unc cheat gets out on that transition offense of theirs and we get caught up in it . We make a big basket and immediately the ball us going down the court with no defenders. Hopefully we can stop that this year. With all I have pointed out I do believe this team will improve much over the last couple of years. Nice thread by the way. OFC

I forgot to add defense. That has been a concern every year for I don't know how long.
Defense is my response as well. I savored the battles between Coach K and Dean Smith. The Duke defense was relentless. Dean loved spreading the floor and using backdoor cuts. Defense was not effective last year. It does start with the PG staying in front of his man. A graduate student Goldwire would have been a nice security blanket. I think Coach K will return to his roots to stress Defense. Having a shotblocker in Mark Williams will be important

Hey Chris, check out the article on 5 Takeaways from the scrimmage on Ball Durham. Specifically mentions Roach's command of the ball and getting past Nova's guards, into the lane and making good decisions once there.

I hear you gap. I can't stand it when posters knows how we would have won the game. They post more when we lose thn win and I can't figure that out. Thanks for bringing it up. I thought about it but the words just didn't come up. You said in perfectly. OFC
I used to do it. It’s more of a vent than anything. That’s pretty much all it is, is frustration. Some go to far and look stupid…I was one 😂..drunk

Hey Chris, check out the article on 5 Takeaways from the scrimmage on Ball Durham. Specifically mentions Roach's command of the ball and getting past Nova's guards, into the lane and making good decisions once there.
This would be huge if he plays like this. I'm rooting for the guy, even if my posts don't sound like it ha. I have heard he looked good Saturday.

Last edited:
Consistent 3 point shooting is at the top of my list. It's something we have been lacking for a long time I think. It doesn't need to be 40%, but if we can't hit threes I think every team we play will pack in the defense and clog the paint which will negate our ability to attack the rim.

Defense, defense, defense.

It worries me every year now. The old Duke teams I never worried about this but now it is my biggest concern.

Reactions: bullettoothtony
My main concern is with regards to Coach K and Scheyer. How does that dynamic affect the players' focus and game-time decisions.
This is a good point . However I think the staff will try to take in as much as possible from K and observe given that it is the three( Scheyer, Smith and Carawell) that will have all eyes on them the following season.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
Consistent 3 point shooting is at the top of my list. It's something we have been lacking for a long time I think. It doesn't need to be 40%, but if we can't hit threes I think every team we play will pack in the defense and clog the paint which will negate our ability to attack the rim.
Alan thats a real priority, and I don't think we've been strong shooting from the perimeter since '17.

Thats just a guess, but it SEEMS like that underachieving squad(save for the ACC Tourney) was the last real threat of perimeter shooting. OFC

This is a good point . However I think the staff will try to take in as much as possible from K and observe given that it is the three( Scheyer, Smith and Carawell) that will have all eyes on them the following season.
My only reason for this being the main concern is that it will only happen once -- this season. We have never had a situation like this in the past and we won't in the future. That is what makes it difficult for me -- there is nothing to reference.

Enough defense to take teams out of their game on off nights. Three point consistency a threat. Go inside when you need baskets.

I think everyone makes good points. May I add, if not said before, maintaining the motion offense we see in scrimmages but is sometimes abandoned in favor of isolation once the season begins.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT