ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Commits

The thing that hurts, at least to me, is that this was supposed to be the year we were better than UNC. They swept us last year. Next year we will be young with a new coach. So losing 2 out of 3, including the two that mattered, hurt. Who knows, maybe Jon will surprise in his first year.
That's how it usually goes, Chris. I think we overachieved this season. It's who we lost to that makes it seem worse.

Not taking anything away from Manek, but good guards open the doors for shooters.

The biggest 2 coming back for the holes are Bacot and Davis. Love will be the icing on the cake.

I hope they flame out next season, but they’re getting set up for another deep run.

Anything can happen in the tournament as we know. But with Love back they will be ACC favorites and top 5. And they have 3 fours stars coming in. A PG, a C and a SF who can shoot. They could have better depth if these guys contribute. And that does not even account for transfers. If they get a good PF replacement who can shoot they could be #1 preseason.

Last edited:
Right now UNC has 13 scholarships players, someone else would need to leave to add anyone. That’s GG or a transfer portal player. So it might be Love, Walton, Dunn or someone else but someone would have to leave.

If by some reason Moore and Keels do come back I think it’s with a chip on their shoulder especially Keels. Roach is the floor general so him being oldest on the team with Baker will be key. Let’s hope for a healthy Baker and he adds another shooter. Never worried about UNC but one would have to think if everyone returns hard not to have them as number one .

The thing that hurts, at least to me, is that this was supposed to be the year we were better than UNC. They swept us last year. Next year we will be young with a new coach. So losing 2 out of 3, including the two that mattered, hurt. Who knows, maybe Jon will surprise in his first year.
Chris I am largely in agreement with you. No question losing those last two, especially in the FF to UNC was painful.

However I must say for myself, the pain was SIGNIFICANTLY LESSENED by their loss to Kansas. I don't have to see any apparel, bumper stickers, etc proclaiming UNC as champs.Living in the heart of Tar Heel country, that's been beautiful. I hear VERY LITTLE convo about the FF.

YES, to your final point hopefully Jon will surprise and get a regular season split with UNC next year. I truly think he has a genius like grasp of the game, and truly relates to young people incredibly well. This is evidenced by his recruiting prowess. #GoDuke OFC

If by some reason Moore and Keels do come back I think it’s with a chip on their shoulder especially Keels. Roach is the floor general so him being oldest on the team with Baker will be key. Let’s hope for a healthy Baker and he adds another shooter. Never worried about UNC but one would have to think if everyone returns hard not to have them as number one .
Great point about Moore and Keels. If one or both come back, there's definitely a chip on the shoulder(s). They're thinking about getting back to that Final Four, and WINNING it all this time!! OFC

BTW on the UNC talk I think they truly miss Manek next year. The evidence is easy- Look at the 25 point lead they blew when Manek was ejected vs Baylor. Puff Johnson has a good upside, but I don't think he can be counted on as clutch and consistently as the mountain man.

OFC

BTW on the UNC talk I think they truly miss Manek next year. The evidence is easy- Look at the 25 point lead they blew when Manek was ejected vs Baylor. Puff Johnson has a good upside, but I don't think he can be counted on as clutch and consistently as the mountain man.

OFC
Manek was their best player indeed - it’ll be hard to replace him.

I also think Manek made Bacot a lot better because teams couldn't double team Bacot. I mean Duke had to follow Manek out to the sideline! I felt Manek was twice as good the second half of the season than the first half and that's what made the Cheaters improve so much.

Anyhow, we can't worry about them until we play them. We need to get our own home in order first. And that starts with getting Wendell and/or Trevor back and getting a banger inside to help Mitchell, Lively and Filipowski.

I also think Manek made Bacot a lot better because teams couldn't double team Bacot. I mean Duke had to follow Manek out to the sideline! I felt Manek was twice as good the second half of the season than the first half and that's what made the Cheaters improve so much.

Anyhow, we can't worry about them until we play them. We need to get our own home in order first. And that starts with getting Wendell and/or Trevor back and getting a banger inside to help Mitchell, Lively and Filipowski.
Solid post Lift. Worry about the Cheats when we play them. This is off-season prep and organization currently. OFC

Reactions: bleediteveryday30

Good post makes perfect sense . We'll worry about bacot and the others when the time comes. Maybe replace worry with figure it out when we play them? OFC

Not taking anything away from Manek, but good guards open the doors for shooters.

The biggest 2 coming back for the holes are Bacot and Davis. Love will be the icing on the cake.

I hope they flame out next season, but they’re getting set up for another deep run.
Manek was a nightmare matchup for this years team and pretty much most of the teams they played. Got Williams or Banchero away from the basket leaving Davis and Love free to drive. And he could shoot over the help defender if one showed up. As has been noted it was an absolute train wreck when he went out of the Baylor game.

Manek was a nightmare matchup for this years team and pretty much most of the teams they played. Got Williams or Banchero away from the basket leaving Davis and Love free to drive. And he could shoot over the help defender if one showed up. As has been noted it was an absolute train wreck when he went out of the Baylor game.
I get the attention Manek has gotten. Really good shooter. Good guards scare me though, and cause so much chaos. And the holes have that with Davis and Love. That’s why I want Love to go pro.

If Love stays, they are the front runner to cut the nets down.

I get the attention Manek has gotten. Really good shooter. Good guards scare me though, and cause so much chaos. And the holes have that with Davis and Love. That’s why I want Love to go pro.

Unfortunately you are right the heels are the favorites, plus they are getting big forward from sc. We are just like kent now , with new lineup every year o a d don't win championship they can't play defense

I agree but some around here are gonna call you Chicken Little if you keep up that kind of talk

And they turn the ball over a good bit in big games. Neither is a true PG - that’ll bite them next year.

It doesn't matter what we say. It doesn't matter that they cheated or we hate them. If Love returns they are probably preseason number one. That does not mean they will win but they will be one of the favorites on paper. So I really hope Love does not return.

Probably but I may have to get out of it. It got to where I was being followed in wussy blue luxury calls with tough looking guys wearing wussy blue tuxedo's . They have me scared. :) OFC
skysdad. in 1975, leisure suits were being worn by some men. My friend had a hideous light blue leisure suit. He had an interview with Jim Heavner, the wealthy businessman who produced unc football and basketball games.

My friend wore the leisure suit. As soon as my friend walked in the door, Heavner said he would never hire someone who would wear a light blue suit to a job interview. Heavner talked to my friend for ten minutes and gave him some other good advice such as getting a haircut and improvements to his resume'

Reactions: skysdad
skysdad. in 1975, leisure suits were being worn by some men. My friend had a hideous light blue leisure suit. He had an interview with Jim Heavner, the wealthy businessman who produced unc football and basketball games.

My friend wore the leisure suit. As soon as my friend walked in the door, Heavner said he would never hire someone who would wear a light blue suit to a job interview. Heavner talked to my friend for ten minutes and gave him some other good advice such as getting a haircut and improvements to his resume'

I've made a lot of mistakes in my life. But I'm proud to say that at no point in my life did I even remotely consider wearing a leisure suit.

Seriously. What were they thinking?

I've made a lot of mistakes in my life. But I'm proud to say that at no point in my life did I even remotely consider wearing a leisure suit.

Seriously. What were they thinking?

Myself Jim. Wouldn't be caught dead in one. Always been a kakie and blazer man myself when I do dress up. Worn them back in the day and still do. OFC

I'll be honest, didn't go through the entire thread and read everything. Just saw these 3 names that had Duke attached to them.
Xavier Booker-saw he was offered
Matas Buzelis
JJ Taylor
Anything to the other 2?

I'll be honest, didn't go through the entire thread and read everything. Just saw these 3 names that had Duke attached to them.
Xavier Booker-saw he was offered
Matas Buzelis
JJ Taylor
Anything to the other 2?
Buzelis and Taylor were being looked at for the small forward spot but I think their interest are in other schools .

Reactions: smashmouth5
Plus, Duke already has guys committed for the spots they would play. For example, Buzelis wants to play guard, though he is 6'9, and Duke already has three guards coming next year. Booker is the only one that might fill a position in need of filling. He seems to be developing into a stretch 5.

Reactions: smashmouth5
Plus, Duke already has guys committed for the spots they would play. For example, Buzelis wants to play guard, though he is 6'9, and Duke already has three guards coming next year. Booker is the only one that might fill a position in need of filling. He seems to be developing into a stretch 5.
I think it’s more so with Booker of having multiple bigs that can play the 4-5. You Add Booker with Steward , Reeves and a possible second year flip with Mgkabo at the 3/4 spot and man that’s got to be one of the best front courts in the Country if not the best .

Reactions: 9dukejames
I think that for sure that it would be the most talented even without Flip. I would guess that Flip would be a lottery pick unless he just bombs which I don't think happens. Going after Booker may show that the staff is already planning on that eventuality. Who knows though, Flip may think differently than many other players in that situation. NIL plus college would sure as heck be attractive to me if I had that chance. At any rate, I sure wouldn't plan on him being present for more than two years. I do see Mitchell back for a 2nd year though, so your point still stands.

Reactions: sheyduke
The staff are pursuing 2 big men at the moment (Booker and Estrella) so they probably expect Flip to be one and done.

Reactions: 9dukejames
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT