ADVERTISEMENT

2 players dwi arrest

shit happens to all of us. no one got hurt. let it go. I have had 2 DWis both happened when I was fighting with a girl friend. It cost me a great deal of money and i don't think i will ever be out at night at a bar again. I never hurt anyone but it certainly made me look bad.. I only drink at home now and I try to look the other way if a woman makes me angry. Not worth it for the risk to others and yourself.

A report out is the vehicle was stopped on Bushy Cook Rd near West End Rd. in Efland which is right off I40 by the N.C. Highway Patrol for running a stop sign around one o'clock in the morning. This is no where near chapel hill. Have no idea why they were going through there. It is in the middle of nowhere. OFC
Nothing good happens at 1am

Lol yes everyone who has gone to college has drunk and drove. Stupid argument. But whatever, It looks like Duke and K have made their decision and they don’t care. **** ‘em, I’m out.

Ya see, moronic idiots like this not being banned is what ruined this forum. Stop by the DBB for a more level headed discussion on the matter.

Reactions: sheyduke
shit happens to all of us. no one got hurt. let it go. I have had 2 DWis both happened when I was fighting with a girl friend. It cost me a great deal of money and i don't think i will ever be out at night at a bar again. I never hurt anyone but it certainly made me look bad.. I only drink at home now and I try to look the other way if a woman makes me angry. Not worth it for the risk to others and yourself.
I was arrested in 2001 for underage drinking. Thank God I wasn’t playing for Duke at the time. It would have totally derailed their national title run lol

Yeah this talk of kicking them both off, or even just Savarino and harshly suspending Banchero is ridiculous.

As a former college athletic director and basketball coach we dealt with this stuff often. Assuming neither has a record and both have been hard working, nose clean kids, you don't walk in, wipe the slate completely clean of them by kicking them off and "setting an example."

That's just crap. Should they know better? of course. Should they be punished? Of course. But these are 18 and 19 year old kids, if we think they're never going to make a mistake, you're grossly naive. Remember what it was like to be that age?

They need to understand the severity of their actions and the dangers of what they did, and how it affects others both on and off the court. The lives you potentially endanger. BUT, they also don't need this derailing their lives. That's absurd and heavy handed.

The most important thing that can come from this, is these two fully grasping the severity of what they've done, how it affects others, and how lucky they are no one was hurt. Once that's understood, you move forward.

It's incredibly disappointing - not to mention a NOT NEEDED distraction, but you handle the public matter of this, then you move on to handling the team side of this, privately, and you move on after suspensions etc. You don't publicly blast and dispose of them.
It isn't a mistake if they knowingly drove drunk

Lol yes everyone who has gone to college has drunk and drove. Stupid argument. But whatever, It looks like Duke and K have made their decision and they don’t care. **** ‘em, I’m out.
2eYn3zt.gif

I can overlook Bancharo because he didn’t get behind the wheel and he just made some Ill advised choices and maybe could have been a better influence.
But for Michael, if they throw him in jail I won’t blink. I legitimately think he should still have a chance at a productive and joy filled life. But it was a terrible, terrible choice that easily could have led to death of himself or others. So careless, so if he’s jailed, so be it. I don’t care about “ but it didn’t.” That is an absolutely ignorant argument.

I respect and love all you guys and I’m not gonna debate any of you here about this, same stance as me or not. I’m not better than any of you. All the best and go Duke.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I can overlook Bancharo because he didn’t get behind the wheel and he just made some Ill advised choices and maybe could have been a better influence.
But for Michael, if they throw him in jail I won’t blink. I legitimately think he should still have a chance at a productive and joy filled life. But it was a terrible, terrible choice that easily could have led to death of himself or others. So careless, so if he’s jailed, so be it. I don’t care about “ but it didn’t.” That is an absolutely ignorant argument.

I respect and love all you guys and I’m not gonna debate any of you here about this, same stance as me or not. I’m not better than any of you. All the best and go Duke.
Technically unless you have multiple DWI’s you literally can call some one and they can pick you up. Hate it for Paolo because they usually impound the car on a DWI stop but to me this story has gotten old. Onto the next game and I don’t think any one feels as bad as Mike Severino .

Am I supposed to disagree with this? Some mistakes are minor and have little to no lasting consequences. Some mistakes are more serious and can ruin lives, end lives or put people in prison for a long time. Doesn't change the fact that it was a mistake.
Conduct gets criminalized because society believes it is too dangerous to let go. I don't agree with Shatter that both kids should be kicked off the team. I agree that that is too harsh a penalty, not to mention we don't really have the facts. Plus, I know I had been guilty of getting behind the wheel when I was in my teens when I should not have and I am sure I am not alone. But it is also true that what seems like a minor mistake can have tragic consequences, which is precisely why most states have cracked down on drinking and driving by lowering the BAC requirement to .8. So MS did not just make a mistake. He committed a crime and it should be treated that way. Given that he is not with the team, it appears that that is precisely what Duke is doing

Conduct gets criminalized because society believes it is too dangerous to let go. I don't agree with Shatter that both kids should be kicked off the team. I agree that that is too harsh a penalty, not to mention we don't really have the facts. Plus, I know I had been guilty of getting behind the wheel when I was in my teens when I should not have and I am sure I am not alone. But it is also true that what seems like a minor mistake can have tragic consequences, which is precisely why most states have cracked down on drinking and driving by lowering the BAC requirement to .8. So MS did not just make a mistake. He committed a crime and it should be treated that way. Given that he is not with the team, it appears that that is precisely what Duke is doing
I don't know what we're arguing about here or why. Do you disagree that it was a mistake?

Making mistakes is better than faking perfections. We have all made wrong decisions and regretted them...so personally, I cannot cast any judgment on these kids. Yes, its disappointing but hopefully they can use it to learn and grow and not repeat it.

I disagree with trivializing it as just a mistake. If that was not what you were trying to do, then I have misunderstood and apologize.
I acknowledged that it was a stupid mistake that affects others. I never said it was just a mistake. I responded to someone who said it was not a mistake if they knowingly drove drunk. That is not true. That's all.

This is really gotten old already. Duke and K and the team dealt with it. It doesn’t really matter what any of us think it was handled by the people that should handle it . Nothing more to this story except what media and posters like us continue to try and make it out to be. It was a mistake, a thought, a action or whatever. It’s over and dealt with now. And for anyone that has never made a bad judgement decision, good for you as for me I’ve made plenty like others good thing I’m not a celeb or son of one .

Hard to tell if Michael was actually impaired. However, in North Carolina, if a person under 21 has ANY alcohol in his system, then the law presumes impairment. So if Michael is under 21, he may not have been actually physically impaired, and I have read nothing in the news that suggests that Paolo should have known not to let Michael drive. Hell, Michael may have been driving because Paolo may not have known how to get back to campus from where they were. If Michael was 21 or over, then the law would presume impairment from a blood test only if his BAC level was 0.8 % or more. 0.8 is at best borderline impaired. So without more information, it will be difficult for the cops to prove that Paolo knew Michael was impaired. If he did not, there would be nothing wrong with letting Michael drive. I have seen no information as to physical signs of impairment such as inability to walk a straight line, slurring words, etc. At 1am in the morning when there is little traffic, rolling stops at stop signs (as opposed to red lights) are not uncommon, nor are redenned eyes. The cop was either hunkered down at that intersection hoping to generate some cash for the county or was behind Michael's car. Given the absence of clear facts as to what actually went on, the holier-than-thou saints on this website should just stifle regarding the seriousness, if any, of Michaels actions until all the circumstances are known. So far, I see no reason not to give those boys the benefit of the doubt. OFC

Hard to tell if Michael was actually impaired. However, in North Carolina, if a person under 21 has ANY alcohol in his system, then the law presumes impairment. So if Michael is under 21, he may not have been actually physically impaired, and I have read nothing in the news that suggests that Paolo should have known not to let Michael drive. Hell, Michael may have been driving because Paolo may not have known how to get back to campus from where they were. If Michael was 21 or over, then the law would presume impairment from a blood test only if his BAC level was 0.8 % or more. 0.8 is at best borderline impaired. So without more information, it will be difficult for the cops to prove that Paolo knew Michael was impaired. If he did not, there would be nothing wrong with letting Michael drive. I have seen no information as to physical signs of impairment such as inability to walk a straight line, slurring words, etc. At 1am in the morning when there is little traffic, rolling stops at stop signs (as opposed to red lights) are not uncommon, nor are redenned eyes. The cop was either hunkered down at that intersection hoping to generate some cash for the county or was behind Michael's car. Given the absence of clear facts as to what actually went on, the holier-than-thou saints on this website should just stifle regarding the seriousness, if any, of Michaels actions until all the circumstances are known. So far, I see no reason not to give those boys the benefit of the doubt. OFC
Most sensible post yet. It's gonna be hard for anyone to disagree. OFC

• Haha
Reactions: toophly1124
Most sensible post yet. It's gonna be hard for anyone to disagree. OFC
The cop did say that Michael's eyes were red, that he could detect the odor of alcohol, and that Michael admitted consuming "a couple of shots", and that is it. No body camera on the Cop? No balance test? No eye test? OFC

Reactions: skysdad
The cop did say that Michael's eyes were red, that he could detect the odor of alcohol, and that Michael admitted consuming "a couple of shots", and that is it. No body camera on the Cop? No balance test? No eye test? OFC
I don't know if we will ever know all the details. Just let it take it's course and not worry about it. OFC

The cop said those things because they are precursors needed in a DWI packet. In the state of NC. If you are under the age of 20 0.04 or higher is only needed to charge a DWI. This is NC and body cam footage isn’t an easy process . But best believe if it was a trooper both his body and dash cam were on. Field sobriety test can be done and are usually mandatory if you’ve had the training on it( HP is made to take it in the academy ) so it’s safe to it was preformed but not needed on an underage drinker.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT