ADVERTISEMENT

2 players dwi arrest

I've always wondered who the player was that went to the frat party. Yhey may be young but they know what and not to do. Slap on the wrist. Appropiate punishent and this may not be Coach K and the staff's call. It may be up to the university. OFC
I think you can stop wondering.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Update: Savarino has been kicked out of the family
Did K kiss him and say “I knew it was you”? Lol.

Seriously, it’s a bad look but hopefully these kids learn from it. I got a DWI at 19, blew a .23 roadside and .16 at the jail and passed every field sobriety test. It was idiotic on my part, and I learned the hard way, fortunately without hurting anyone. Hope Michael does the same. Thankfully no one was hurt.

Reactions: KDSTONE
I don't think it's appropriate to downplay the situation and say "kids will be kids." DWI is a serious offense, albeit common. But Banchero certainly doesn't deserve to have his name dragged through the mud for sitting in the backseat (misleading ESPN headline: "Banchero faces DWI charges")

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Hope he doesn’t get the same punishment that Phil Ford got for blowing .26 on Michigan recruiting trip. Remind me again… what was the punishment?
Well, for being literally passed out, along with the passenger unconscious as well, Derek willis got a whopping zero game suspension for this incident. I'm guessing our guys get more than that.

Well, for being literally passed out, along with the passenger unconscious as well, Derek willis got a whopping zero game suspension for this incident. I'm guessing our guys get more than that.

I watched that video and Willis looked dead on the road. It was interesting that Calipari said there was no suspension but he's being looked at differently after the incident.

No. They could’ve killed someone.

I’m 25, so I can pretty clearly remember that age and being 18-19 is not an excuse. They’re morons who think they’re above everyone because they play basketball. If the university decides these idiots are good ambassadors for the school then I can’t continue to support them. Yes, you do publicly blast and dispose. They are grown men, not children and neither deserve the opportunities they’ve been afforded.
Go away, nc state needs some fans anyways

I’m 25, so I can pretty clearly remember that age and being 18-19 is not an excuse. They’re morons who think they’re above everyone because they play basketball. If the university decides these idiots are good ambassadors for the school then I can’t continue to support them. Yes, you do publicly blast and dispose. They are grown men, not children and neither deserve the opportunities they’ve been afforded.

Ah, the self righteous standing on their pedestals of perfection to shame everyone beneath them. If only the rest of us could be as perfect as the.

Ah, the self righteous standing on their pedestals of perfection to shame everyone beneath them. If only the rest of us could be as perfect as the.
It’s not self righteousness. These two are ****ing idiots. Yes, everyone makes mistakes, but not everybody decides to take others lives into their impaired hands. If you drink and drive, or let a friend drink and drive, you’re a piece of shit.

Suspension of 2-3 games for Savarino

If Banchero was drunk and couldn't drive then a one game suspension for him.

Just thankful that no one was hurt or killed. I've seen too many dead bodies from accidents through my career.

Maybe worth mentioning, maybe not but since I'm a Duke fan I'm gonna mention it. This happened in Orange County right. Now the only towns in Orange Co. are Hillsborough the county seat, a little community called Efland, Carboro and chapel hill. Now the article doesn't say if they were stopped by the sheriff's dept, highway patrol or a police dept. Anyway Orange County is cheater u dominated. Now if by any chance they were stopped in chapel hill what luck a couple of campus police or chapel hill police had run into with a couple of Duke basketball players one being the Duke coach's grandson and the other a STAR. No proof just thought I might put it out there. No way does this lesson the actions of the players but I can't help but think if it had been bacot and love would it have been different. There is no telling how many cheater u athletes that have been pulled and sent on home. Once again just thought I would mention it. I can't help it. I'm a Duke fan. It's my nature. OFC

Maybe worth mentioning, maybe not but since I'm a Duke fan I'm gonna mention it. This happened in Orange County right. Now the only towns in Orange Co. are Hillsborough the county seat, a little community called Efland, Carboro and chapel hill. Now the article doesn't say if they were stopped by the sheriff's dept, highway patrol or a police dept. Anyway Orange County is cheater u dominated. Now if by any chance they were stopped in chapel hill what luck a couple of campus police or chapel hill police had run into with a couple of Duke basketball players one being the Duke coach's grandson and the other a STAR. No proof just thought I might put it out there. No way does this lesson the actions of the players but I can't help but think if it had been bacot and love would it have been different. There is no telling how many cheater u athletes that have been pulled and sent on home. Once again just thought I would mention it. I can't help it. I'm a Duke fan. It's my nature. OFC
Sky, you might just be onto something here!

Haven’t lived in Durham for almost 15 years but I’ve never heard of the aiding and abetting law. Either way, it’s embarrassing for the program and for Coach. 1 game for Banchero, 5 for Savarino.

It's an unfortunate incident. Very fortunate no one was injured. My concern moving forward, is the unneeded attention this will bring to K and Duke. Not that Duke needs anymore. Then with the kid involved being his grandson, that's like pouring gas on an already burning fire.

Everything is intensified when it comes to Duke. Good and bad.

It’s not self righteousness. These two are ****ing idiots. Yes, everyone makes mistakes, but not everybody decides to take others lives into their impaired hands. If you drink and drive, or let a friend drink and drive, you’re a piece of shit.
Do much driving in North Carolina? I do and I see stop signs and red lights run more often than not. I see 60-70 mph in 45 mph as the norm. 85 in 70. How do you know Michael was showing signs of being drunk ?Unless this was an all men party in Orange Cty I would hope Banchero was not wasting his time hanging out w a teammate. I have to think he was talking or dancing w girls so he might not have been counting how many IPA’s Michael was drinking. Either way get off your high horse and let Duke and Coach K decide what additional punishment is necessary.

It's an unfortunate incident. Very fortunate no one was injured. My concern moving forward, is the unneeded attention this will bring to K and Duke. Not that Duke needs anymore. Then with the kid involved being his grandson, that's like pouring gas on an already burning fire.

Everything is intensified when it comes to Duke. Good and bad.
Yep. I remember when Grayson got only one game. It was like O.J. Simpson being aquitted. I have a cousin who went ape crazy saying criminal acts were commited. OFC

Reactions: jnastasi
From what I have heard from Duke students and young alums, calling Uber has become the norm. I'm very surprised these young men didn't know the drill. Perhaps because they don't hang out with other Duke students enough to know?

It's very disappointing. I'm sure the Basketball program has lots of orientation sessions where they impress on the players that they are in a fishbowl and can't afford to make the mistakes that other students can make.

I'm not trying to be holier than thou with this, but literally having been a college athletic director and a college basketball coach, you simply can't act that punitively with a first offense. People deserve second chances in life under the right pretense.

Could they have killed someone? Sure, lucky for everyone, they didn't. "Dropping the anvil" on a couple of kids because they're in the public eye is no more fair than letting them go because they're in the public eye.

Somethings need a gestational period. This may be one. An overreaction here is just as bad as an under reaction without getting all pieces of the puzzle. Clearly MS needs more punishment than Banchero, but relax. Kids will be kids - is not a good excuse, but believe me, it's a FACT. They still need reprimand, but I'd bet money they've ALREADY learned some valuable lessons and not a single public punishment (or as far as we can tell private) has been handed down.

Last edited:

Dumbest post in the history of DI territory!!! Strong words, but its in the running!!!!

Reactions: QC Dukie
Expel both. Anything less would be a disgrace.
That's really extreme. You may want to rethink this. It sounds like it's coming from a cheater u fan. Really at 1st I didn't look at your name and thought you were a UK or cheater u troll. I hope it was just a shock reaction but you added to it. Take a few minutes and perhaps you will be more merciful. I'm not gonna blast the way some have but to be frank I'm surprised. OFC

I don't agree that they should both be expelled. I don't agree either that boys will be boys. There's a lot of middle ground and Duke will find it.

I don't think Banchero will be disciplined much at all but time will tell whether this affects his status with the national media.

I don't agree that they should both be expelled. I don't agree either that boys will be boys. There's a lot of middle ground and Duke will find it.

I don't think Banchero will be disciplined much at all but time will tell whether this affects his status with the national media.
It’s an odd charge for him imo - if Michael wasn’t visibly hammered, it’s hard to know whether he was drinking if he didn’t see him drink. I dunno, not a big charge on him to me, but if he had been behind the wheel drunk? Bad news.

You don’t suspend P for that. One game just for perception maybe but that’s it. Charge will probably be dismissed.

Reactions: sheyduke
Looks like it was Paolo's car and that is why he was charged... You gotta think these two have been told multiple times to be safe when it comes to partying. I'm sure they've beaten themselves up about it by now. Punishment is obviously needed for at least MS. Just a really bad decision you never want to see for young people with such potential. Hopefully they learn quickly from this. That magnifying glass is not going away when you wear that jersey either.

A report out is the vehicle was stopped on Bushy Cook Rd near West End Rd. in Efland which is right off I40 by the N.C. Highway Patrol for running a stop sign around one o'clock in the morning. This is no where near chapel hill. Have no idea why they were going through there. It is in the middle of nowhere. OFC

That's really extreme. You may want to rethink this. It sounds like it's coming from a cheater u fan. Really at 1st I didn't look at your name and thought you were a UK or cheater u troll. I hope it was just a shock reaction but you added to it. Take a few minutes and perhaps you will be more merciful. I'm not gonna blast the way some have but to be frank I'm surprised. OFC
I’ve been on this board since the 2018 season lol. I’m as far from a troll as you can be. Nah. Folks are acting like expulsion would ultimately hurt either one and, it wouldn’t. Paolo has already got his with NIL deals and will continue to get his when he’s drafted. Savarino is Coach freaking K’s grandson. It’s very difficult to have an easier life than these two will lead.
The only real effect of expelling them would be the W/L column for this season.
It’s so far from extreme, and it’s the only correct course of action, anything less would be saying that Duke does not care what you do, so long as you can shoot a basketball.

I’ve been on this board since the 2018 season lol. I’m as far from a troll as you can be. Nah. Folks are acting like expulsion would ultimately hurt either one and, it wouldn’t. Paolo has already got his with NIL deals and will continue to get his when he’s drafted. Savarino is Coach freaking K’s grandson. It’s very difficult to have an easier life than these two will lead.
The only real effect of expelling them would be the W/L column for this season.
It’s so far from extreme, and it’s the only correct course of action, anything less would be saying that Duke does not care what you do, so long as you can shoot a basketball.
All the facts are not out . Expulsion would mean every kid on the history of college would need the same. The only reason this was leaked was because one player is a nationally ranked possible first round pick and the other for who his grandfather is. I could go in depth about the different directions this could go but I will say this in MS defense. You could have just consumed one or two beers or four shots and depending on the time of the stop let’s say ten minutes and blown an 0.08 . I could defend them both and beat these charges.

Reactions: skysdad
All the facts are not out . Expulsion would mean every kid on the history of college would need the same. The only reason this was leaked was because one player is a nationally ranked possible first round pick and the other for who his grandfather is. I could go in depth about the different directions this could go but I will say this in MS defense. You could have just consumed one or two beers or four shots and depending on the time of the stop let’s say ten minutes and blown an 0.08 . I could defend them both and beat these charges.
Lol yes everyone who has gone to college has drunk and drove. Stupid argument. But whatever, It looks like Duke and K have made their decision and they don’t care. **** ‘em, I’m out.

Lol yes everyone who has gone to college has drunk and drove. Stupid argument. But whatever, It looks like Duke and K have made their decision and they don’t care. **** ‘em, I’m out.
Our the facts weren’t clearly given to the press. But like said above . Later

So I take it they can prove in a court of law that “he knew he was drunk and let him drive” lol seems like an easy “I didn’t know” card to me 😂

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT