ADVERTISEMENT

2 players dwi arrest

@TheBenSwain
Literally am learning about “aiding and abetting impaired driving” right now for the first time ever. $200 fine + court costs + probation. It’s basically when you knowingly allow someone to drive under the influence. You don’t even have to be in the car, btw

Aiding and abetting a DWI is also punishable up to two months jail time. Obviously he’s probably not getting that.
Well at least it’s not an injury…I guess.

@TheBenSwain
Literally am learning about “aiding and abetting impaired driving” right now for the first time ever. $200 fine + court costs + probation. It’s basically when you knowingly allow someone to drive under the influence. You don’t even have to be in the car, btw
It’s basically allowing someone that you know or think is drunk to borrow your car and drive it while intoxicated. And no, you don’t have to be in the car.

This is terrible, but these kids should know better. What a bad chain of choices they made. They should be punished appropriately. Certainly not the best way to start the year. :(

Both should be suspended. However I bet all gets dismissed not because who they are but I’ve seen nobodies with way worse DWI offensives walk away with charges dismissed as long as you hire the right attorney and it’s your first offense.

Was it a walk on last year who tested positive and Duke pulled out of ACC tournament?
Michael should be kicked off team and Banchero should miss 3-4 games.

I highly doubt much of a suspension comes for Paolo. His Instagram post today certainly suggests he's playing tonight. I could see him being suspended for a game.

Still a foolish mistake.

Was it a walk on last year who tested positive and Duke pulled out of ACC tournament?
Michael should be kicked off team and Banchero should miss 3-4 games.
I've always wondered who the player was that went to the frat party. Yhey may be young but they know what and not to do. Slap on the wrist. Appropiate punishent and this may not be Coach K and the staff's call. It may be up to the university. OFC

Reactions: hpnole
I highly doubt much of a suspension comes for Paolo. His Instagram post today certainly suggests he's playing tonight. I could see him being suspended for a game.

Still a foolish mistake.
This happened Sunday morning the staff and everyone else has had 2 days to see what happened so he likely isn’t going to miss any time.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
Also just concerning Savarino how disrepectful for your grandfather. His is at Duke and on the basketall team because of Coach K . This has to hurt Coach K and his wife. OFC

Sky I agree with you. As for Paolo, I think Coach K has to get more facts to see what he was doing. Was he drunk? Was he in the car (apparently you don't have to be to be charged). Were they at a bar or party where alcohol was being served (we have to assume so)?

Perhaps Duke has to show that they take the law more seriously than does Gonzaga.

Reactions: skysdad
Also just concerning Savarino how disrepectful for your grandfather. His is at Duke and on the basketall team because of Coach K . This has to hurt Coach K and his wife. OFC
This!!!! Many of us made some bad choices as young men, I know I did, but this is really bad on so many levels.

Reactions: skysdad
It’s basically allowing someone that you know or think is drunk to borrow your car and drive it while intoxicated. And no, you don’t have to be in the car.
According to the news observer banchero was released at the traffic site and was noted as a passenger in the backseat. But you’re correct on the statute you don’t have to be in the car to be charged with aiding and abetting

Yeah this talk of kicking them both off, or even just Savarino and harshly suspending Banchero is ridiculous.

As a former college athletic director and basketball coach we dealt with this stuff often. Assuming neither has a record and both have been hard working, nose clean kids, you don't walk in, wipe the slate completely clean of them by kicking them off and "setting an example."

That's just crap. Should they know better? of course. Should they be punished? Of course. But these are 18 and 19 year old kids, if we think they're never going to make a mistake, you're grossly naive. Remember what it was like to be that age?

They need to understand the severity of their actions and the dangers of what they did, and how it affects others both on and off the court. The lives you potentially endanger. BUT, they also don't need this derailing their lives. That's absurd and heavy handed.

The most important thing that can come from this, is these two fully grasping the severity of what they've done, how it affects others, and how lucky they are no one was hurt. Once that's understood, you move forward.

It's incredibly disappointing - not to mention a NOT NEEDED distraction, but you handle the public matter of this, then you move on to handling the team side of this, privately, and you move on after suspensions etc. You don't publicly blast and dispose of them.

Last edited:
I’ve read people saying that Michael blew a .08. Not saying that makes it okay since he was underage, and I don’t know what the source is on that. But it does make more sense to me in regards to Paolo allowing him to drive, if true.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
One game suspension like
Yeah this talk of kicking them both off, or even just Savarino and harshly suspending Banchero is ridiculous.

As a former college athletic director and basketball coach we dealt with this stuff often. Assuming neither has a record and both have been hard working, nose clean kids, you don't walk in, wipe the slate completely clean of them by kicking them off and "setting an example."

That's just crap. Should they know better? of course. Should they be punished? Of course. But these are 18 and 19 year old kids, if we think they're never going to make a mistake, you're grossly naive. Remember what it was like to be that age?

They need to understand the severity of their actions and the dangers of what they did, and how it affects others both on and off the court. The lives you potentially endanger. BUT, they also don't need this derailing their lives. That's absurd and heavy handed.

The most important thing that can come from this, is these two fully grasping the severity of what they've done, how it affects others, and how lucky they are no one was hurt. Once that's understood, you move forward.

It's incredibly disappointing - not to mention a NOT NEEDED distraction, but you handle the public matter of this, then you move on to handling the team side of this, privately, and you move after suspensions etc. You don't publicly blast and dispose of them.
Thanx for the post. This is getting blown way out of proportion. Kid was at the legal limit. Told Paolo he was ok to drive. Shouldn’t have happened but it did. Sadly, this will get more coverage than the Mark Few incident

It's incredibly disappointing - not to mention a NOT NEEDED distraction, but you handle the public matter of this, then you move on to handling the team manner side of this, privately, and you move after suspensions etc. You don't publicly blast and dispose of them.
Great post K-ville. A reasonable punishment is in order but let's get real. I'm sure both players feel aweful but need to be held accountable. Of course it happened at Duke under Coach K's watch and those who hate Duke and Coach K are loaded and locked in . We are Duke and will react approprietly. . OFC

Reactions: krzyzewskiville

It's incredibly disappointing - not to mention a NOT NEEDED distraction, but you handle the public matter of this, then you move on to handling the team side of this, privately, and you move after suspensions etc. You don't publicly blast and dispose of them.
There are very few college kids who have not done the same stupid thing when they were 18.Not excusing but to be so sanctimonious about this is BS.

According to the news observer banchero was released at the traffic site and was noted as a passenger in the backseat. But you’re correct on the statute you don’t have to be in the car to be charged with aiding and abetting
Since Babchero was released, he likely hadn’t drank at all, right? Since he’s underage they would have took him in for that.

It was Banchero’s car and he was in backseat? If they were at a party he may not have seen Michael drinking . If he did I do wonder why he didn’t drive .

If he in fact blew a .08 on the nose as reported, that does soften the situation a bit, for me at least. Being he was underage, I think a 3-4 game suspension would suffice, but Paolo should only miss 1 game tops, imo. The grandson truly did shame Coach K with that move, especially with this being his swan song, but Banchero very well could have thought he was good to go at that low of a reading. Coming from a UK fan. Looked a lot worse before reading into it.

If he in fact blew a .08 on the nose as reported, that does soften the situation a bit, for me at least. Being he was underage, I think a 3-4 game suspension would suffice, but Paolo should only miss 1 game tops, imo. The grandson truly did shame Coach K with that move, especially with this being his swan song, but Banchero very well could have thought he was good to go at that low of a reading. Coming from a UK fan. Looked a lot worse before reading into it.

I know what you're trying to say, and appreciate and agree with it, but I'm not sure I think Savarino "shamed" his grandfather. I'm sure he's not thrilled about this. But I'm also sure as the father of three girls, he's spent a life time of dealing with things that happen within your family.

I hope for the sake of Coach K's last year, this is dealt with and fans let it lie. That said, I realize turnabout is fair play so considering how the Crazies would likely handle this, we can probably expect the same on the road this year...

This is simply if he blew0.08 beside the road of the traffic stop he blew it on the alcosensor. He still has to show he’s coming up on the intoxilizer for the DWI to stick.
this is why I wish they still taught the class when kids got caught for underage drinking. They are kids they are going to make mistakes. All though a big one I think a couple game suspension is warranted and some community service .

I know what you're trying to say, and appreciate and agree with it, but I'm not sure I think Savarino "shamed" his grandfather. I'm sure he's not thrilled about this. But I'm also sure as the father of three girls, he's spent a life time of dealing with things that happen within your family.

I hope for the sake of Coach K's last year, this is dealt with and fans let it lie. That said, I realize turnabout is fair play so considering how the Crazies would likely handle this, we can probably expect the same on the road this year...
Very fair point.

Take it down a notch
No. They could’ve killed someone.

It's incredibly disappointing - not to mention a NOT NEEDED distraction, but you handle the public matter of this, then you move on to handling the team side of this, privately, and you move on after suspensions etc. You don't publicly blast and dispose of them.
I’m 25, so I can pretty clearly remember that age and being 18-19 is not an excuse. They’re morons who think they’re above everyone because they play basketball. If the university decides these idiots are good ambassadors for the school then I can’t continue to support them. Yes, you do publicly blast and dispose. They are grown men, not children and neither deserve the opportunities they’ve been afforded.

I’m 25, so I can pretty clearly remember that age and being 18-19 is not an excuse. They’re morons who think they’re above everyone because they play basketball. If the university decides these idiots are good ambassadors for the school then I can’t continue to support them. Yes, you do publicly blast and dispose. They are grown men, not children and neither deserve the opportunities they’ve been afforded.
The university would be better off without your support

So you are going to stop watching if Duke comes out and says Savarino and Banchero are good ambassadors? You know what, I'll take that stand with you. (And we will both keep watching all season)

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT