ADVERTISEMENT

100% of the way ACC Awards...its a wrap!!!

BOOGIEMAN1914

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
May 15, 2007
C.O.Y - Coach K
R.O.Y - Big Vern
P.O.Y. - Jordan Nwora or Vernon Carey
D.P.O.Y - Tre Jones.....................James Banks..........?..............?

1st Team
Vernon Carey
Jordan Nwora
John Mooney
Tre Jones
CJ Bryce

2nd Team
Elijah Hughes
Garrison Brooks
Landers Nolley
Michael Devoe
? Simms....Lykes...McGusty...Boheim......

1st Team All Freshman
Vernon Carey
Cassius Stanley
Joe Girard
Landers Nolley
Matthew Hurt...............Jay Heath...................................Armando Bacot

Last edited:
Tre and Vernon gotta be 1st team locks.

If we win the ACC regular season, I think Vernon also has to take POY.
Tre also should win DPOY.

When is the last time K won ACC coach of the year?? He's gotta take it this year.

After Saturday's game, I'm trending toward Tre being player of the year and Vernon Rookie. If Coach K doesn't win COY then may as well retire the award. There is no one else currently in the running. Although, arguably Clemson Brownell should get votes simply based on Saturday's result. :)

Coach K is too easy as COY but Hamilton will prob get it just because.
Vern should sweep POY ROY
First team should be our starting line up

I don't think that would be at all fair. We have had several starting lineups. I think it is only fair if our top 7 are all first team.

Reactions: pisgah101
Landers Nolley is a freshmen, FWIW. Gotta have him on the all-freshmen team, too. Don't think Bacot needs to be on there. I'd also put Jay Heath and Pat Williams ahead of Bacot.

Reactions: dukehokie
Landers Nolley is a freshmen, FWIW. Gotta have him on the all-freshmen team, too. Don't think Bacot needs to be on there. I'd also put Jay Heath and Pat Williams ahead of Bacot.

thanks....its def fluid...thought Nolley was a jr...................heath was my ?

Reactions: dukedevilz
Tre and Vernon gotta be 1st team locks.

If we win the ACC regular season, I think Vernon also has to take POY.
Tre also should win DPOY.

When is the last time K won ACC coach of the year?? He's gotta take it this year.
I know this isn’t what you asked but when I saw that someone had already answered your question I decided to look up to see when was the last time that Coach K won a Coach of the Year Award and according to his Wikipedia page, since he won the ACC Coach of the Year Award in 2000, he’s only won one other Coach of the Year Award since then and that was when he won the Clair Bee Coach of the Year Award in 2004.

COY should be K but as of now Mike young at VT has to be in the running...they are 3-2 at this point and he had absolutely nothing when he took the job...this pains me to say lol but the man has done a great job with an extremely young and inexperienced team

updated:

C.O.Y - Coach K
R.O.Y - Big Vern
P.O.Y. - Vernon Carey..................Jordan Nwora

1st Team
Vernon Carey
Jordan Nwora
John Mooney
Tre Jones
Elijah Hughes

2nd Team
Garrison Brooks
Landers Nolley
Michael Devoe
Aamir Simms..........Devan Vassell.........Boheim.............................Lykes...McGusty...Anthony

1st Team All Freshman
Vernon Carey
Cassius Stanley
Joe Girard
Landers Nolley
Jay Heath................Matthew Hurt.............Patrick Williams........Cole Anthony

Last edited:
How sweet would it be to see Cassius start consistently scoring 20+ points a game and land on the 2nd or 3rd team.

I wouldn't rule it out.

updated:

C.O.Y - Coach K
R.O.Y - Big Vern
P.O.Y. - Vernon Carey..................Jordan Nwora

1st Team
Vernon Carey
Jordan Nwora
John Mooney
Tre Jones
Elijah Hughes

2nd Team
Garrison Brooks
Landers Nolley
Michael Devoe
Aamir Simms...Boheim.............................Lykes...McGusty

1st Team All Freshman
Vernon Carey
Cassius Stanley
Joe Girard
Landers Nolley
Jay Heath................Matthew Hurt.............Patrick Williams

I think this one is spot on for halfway. The COY is the only one that will get tricky and it shouldn’t be. K won’t get the same credit as say Leonard Hamilton or Mike Young for coaching an over turned roster. I also think Mack will get more consideration based on the result in Cameron.

K, Hamilton, and Young have done exceptional jobs so far. I think VT will fade which will eliminate Young, but if Pastner gets GT above .500, he will be in the discussion.

But this award has recently gone to a guy who has done ok with less in the past and while it’s nice, that isn’t always how this award should be voted. The fact that K hasn’t won it since 2000, hasn’t won a National honor since 2001, and has never been voted by the AP as coach of the year (ever!) is a travesty.

He’s constantly punished for having good players. Isn’t recruiting and development a part of coaching? If you recruit good players to your school, then win with them, how is that not a part of your job?

I think this one is spot on for halfway. The COY is the only one that will get tricky and it shouldn’t be. K won’t get the same credit as say Leonard Hamilton or Mike Young for coaching an over turned roster. I also think Mack will get more consideration based on the result in Cameron.

K, Hamilton, and Young have done exceptional jobs so far. I think VT will fade which will eliminate Young, but if Pastner gets GT above .500, he will be in the discussion.

But this award has gone to guy who has done ok with less in the past and while it’s nice, that isn’t always how this award should be voted. The fact that K hasn’t won it since 2000, hasn’t won a National honor since 2001, and has never been voted by the AP as coach of the year (ever!) is a travesty.

He’s constantly punished for having good players. Isn’t recruiting and development a part of coaching? If you recruit good players to your school, then win with them, how is that not a part of your job?

Duke hate

But this award has gone to guy who has done ok with less in the past and while it’s nice, that isn’t always how this award should be voted. The fact that K hasn’t won it since 2000, hasn’t won a National honor since 2001, and has never been voted by the AP as coach of the year (ever!) is a travesty.

Preach brother

Still Carey Nwora......butI think Tre Jones may be creeping into ACCPoY possiblity 16ppg (8th) 4 reb (53rd)
7ast (2nd) 2 stl (4th)
Free throws 74% (22nd)
Fg% 43 (40th)
3pt% 32 (46th)

Still Carey Nwora......butI think Tre Jones may be creeping into ACCPoY possiblity 16ppg (8th) 4 reb (53rd)
7ast (2nd) 2 stl (4th)
Free throws 74% (22nd)
Fg% 43 (40th)
3pt% 32 (46th)
I think it’s a two horse race but plenty of time for one of them to separate themselves.

updated:
C.O.Y - Coach K
R.O.Y - Big Vern
P.O.Y. - Vernon Carey...............................................Jordan Nwora.... Tre Jones
D.P.O.Y - Tre Jones

1st Team
Vernon Carey
Jordan Nwora
John Mooney
Tre Jones
Elijah Hughes

2nd Team
Buddy Boheim
Landers Nolley
Michael Devoe
Aamir Simms
Devan Vassell...............Garrison Brooks............Childress....Lykes...McGusty....Anthony

1st Team All Freshman
Vernon Carey
Cassius Stanley
Joe Girard
Landers Nolley
Jay Heath................Matthew Hurt.............Patrick Williams........Cole Anthony

updated:
C.O.Y - Coach K
R.O.Y - Big Vern
P.O.Y. - Vernon Carey...............................................Jordan Nwora.... Tre Jones
D.P.O.Y - Tre Jones

1st Team
Vernon Carey
Jordan Nwora
John Mooney
Tre Jones
Elijah Hughes

2nd Team
Buddy Boheim
Landers Nolley
Michael Devoe
Aamir Simms
Devan Vassell...............Garrison Brooks............Childress....Lykes...McGusty....Anthony

1st Team All Freshman
Vernon Carey
Cassius Stanley
Joe Girard
Landers Nolley

Yep, it's looking more like Vernon as POY , 'cause Nwora is fading fast.

OFC

Reactions: YNWA196 and skysdad
Yep, it's looking more like Vernon as POY , 'cause Nwora is fading fast.

OFC

just hope they dont go with the "upperclassman" angle...???

vern: 18ppg 9reb 1ast 2blk 1stl 59%fg 43%3pt.....25mpg

nwora: 18ppg 7reb 1ast 0.3blk 1stl 45%fg 42%3pt.........33mpg

imagine if vern played 8 more minutes on average

Reactions: YNWA196
Good list.

Look coach K defiently deserves consideration for COY, specially if Duke wins the ACC. But K gets the LeBron effect when it comes to rewards. Has so many accolades that people take his greatness for granted at times...

With that said. My COY is Mack. For him to not only breath life back into that UofL program after the Pitino exit is nothing short of remarkable... Now he has them as a Championship caliber program once again, when really it should just be getting its footing.

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
I tend to agree that it's a two-man race between Vernon and Tre right now. That can change....but Nwora has faded fast.

I actually feel as if Tre is the slight leader. Would be hard to go wrong with either, though.

Reactions: chov1125
I tend to agree that it's a two-man race between Vernon and Tre right now. That can change....but Nwora has faded fast.

I actually feel as if Tre is the slight leader. Would be hard to go wrong with either, though.

I agree. I said Tre at the halfway point and I still say Tre now. No one is more important than Tre is to Duke. He makes the entire team go. There was something on bleacher report today or maybe over the weekend, it was a 60 second clip of both K and Brey gushing over Tre. He plays both sides of the ball and fills every small hole that has popped up so far. Big Vern will continue to be the focal part of our offense. But there is so much more that goes on. And as a team, the struggles and the peaks and valleys, I believe the entire team leans on Tre to guide the way. Tre all day.

I’m going to miss him and his family dearly when he decides to move on. They have been such a big part of the brotherhood the last 5 or so years.

Reactions: skysdad
I see Syracuse is crying that Girard got snubbed by the ACC for player of the week.

If FSU stays in the top three, it would be hard not to have Vassell round out the first team, as opposed to Hughes (though Vassell's DNP last game didn't help that cause).

I'd give Vernon the slight nod over Tre right now for ACC POY, but Tre is making a late push. Regardless...one of them are gonna win this thing.

Vernon is getting more love nationally, is gonna be either a 1st or 2nd team All-American. Tre probably gonna land on the 3rd team.
How cool would it be if Vernon is a 1st team All-American and Tre wins ACC POY??
Similar to 2001 when Jay Williams won ACC POY and didn't Battier win NCAA POY??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT